Official Boston Red Sox Thread - 2023 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Official Boston Red Sox Thread - 2023

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"According to well-sourced, hard-working baseball scribes, Mike Hazen and Amiel Sawdaye (Diamondbacks), Brandon Gomes (Dodgers), Sam Fuld (Phillies), Derek Falvey (Twins), Michael Hill (Marlins), Jon Daniels (Rays, Rangers), Raquel Ferreira (Red Sox), and James Click (Blue Jays, Astros) are among those not interested in becoming the next head of baseball operations for the Boston Red Sox." says Dan Shaughnessey.

The Sox need to can Sam Kennedy. He's as bad as Bloom.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"According to well-sourced, hard-working baseball scribes, Mike Hazen and Amiel Sawdaye (Diamondbacks), Brandon Gomes (Dodgers), Sam Fuld (Phillies), Derek Falvey (Twins), Michael Hill (Marlins), Jon Daniels (Rays, Rangers), Raquel Ferreira (Red Sox), and James Click (Blue Jays, Astros) are among those not interested in becoming the next head of baseball operations for the Boston Red Sox." says Dan Shaughnessey.

The Sox need to can Sam Kennedy. He's as bad as Bloom.
Worse. Bloom was probably quite capable minus the meddling from the losers he worked for. Nobody wants this job beacaue they know it’s rigged to fail, plus they are stuck with Cora.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Worse. Bloom was probably quite capable minus the meddling from the losers he worked for. Nobody wants this job beacaue they know it’s rigged to fail, plus they are stuck with Cora.
Both things can be true.

Reaction Score

I thought you guys seriously loved Cora. Is that not true anymore?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think he’s lost the team. Nobody likes his pitching decisions. The farm system is somewhat loaded, it’s a top 5 budget team and nobody wants the job?

Reaction Score
I like Breslow as an option and it sounds like his name is picking up some steam.
Maybe do Breslow as President of Baseball Ops and Romero as GM or vice versa?

Reaction Score
Watching the Phillies last night reminded me of the angst and drama that Kimbrel generated during the 2018 season for the Sox. Good LCS games the last couple of nights.

Reaction Score
You guys seriously loved Cashman. Things change.

Nope never loved Cashman. He inherited great teams but never made great trades, moves as often as he should have. Certainly not for over a decade now.

I kinda thought Cora was a good solid coach but a bit overrated. I mean his trophies come with asterisks.

Reaction Score
Red Sox stopped caring about baseball years ago. It's just another play thing for a rich guy like John Henry at this point and he's bored of this toy and has many others to play with.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like Breslow as an option and it sounds like his name is picking up some steam.
Maybe do Breslow as President of Baseball Ops and Romero as GM or vice versa?
I think both Breslow and Romero are good baseball minds. We could really use Breslow’s input on pitching development. Some combination would be good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm still a Cora guy. He's the main reason the Sox won games this year. The team didn't quit until the GM basically quit at the trade deadline. I'm not sure I like a manager with input into the GM decision, though.

Reaction Score
congrats you got yourself Breslow. Now see if cora knows anything about fundamental baseball. Just a random thought.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So many fans whining about the moves so far. It's like none of them pay attention to the roster and farm system. We have way too many LH hitting OF. So Verdugo for pitching makes sense. We may see Duran moved as well. Expect Abreu to make the opening day roster and probably start in RF. Great arm for Fenway RF, big bat (I watched him hit 3 HR for Worcester in a game before his call up). Rafaella is very fast and good defender who can play CF. RH bat. Both guys are on the 40 man already. If Yorke can come up at 2B mid-season, they only need one position player. Ideally Yoshida would move to DH, and they could get a RH hitting LF with power. But there's nobody on the FA market like that, so maybe via trade. The kids will need to play.

Pitching is another story. The offseason has to be all about pitching. There's nobody in the minors that looks like a starter this coming season. SoxProspects.com

Reaction Score
Yeah I love Soto but he doesn’t fit a need at the moment like pitching does _ especially if he is a one year player. He’s gonna hit 40-50 homers this year and Boras is gonna start off by asking for Ohtani money for him in the offseason.
I like the pitching slant that Breslow and Bailey are going to bring to the organization and you can see it already with the 4 pitchers they just picked up in the last week - not to mention they are going to go hard on pitching
Come draft time whereas Bloom was terrified of drafting pitchers. One way or another we will be landing two starters this offseason, one by free agency and one by trading from the good pool of young position players we have in the system.

Reaction Score
I would like to see them Maldonado, even if it is a 2 year deal at his age. He could mentor Teel in training camp and then when he does make the jump to the majors.
I hope they hold onto Duran. The guy hit well at every level, but then it looked like he was just trying to make contact instead of driving the ball. Last year, it looked like his swing was back. He can win games with his legs.
Pitching is the priority. I don't know if they a big splash this offseason though. I could see them going after Jordan Montgomery and hope a guy like Corbin Burnes is available next year.
I wouldn't mine seeing them make a splash and get Yamamota, but you have the 2 New York teams and Dodgers so the price is likely to be insane for him.
Also, key for their long term health is Miguel Bleiss to come back, stay healthy and continue his progression. Sounds like everyone who sees him believes he'll be a star in a few years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On the MBB board, I'm on record as hating "DOOMED". But that's the only way to describe the Sox today. They fired the worst GM ever and replaced him with somebody worse. It's mind-boggling.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On the MBB board, I'm on record as hating "DOOMED". But that's the only way to describe the Sox today. They fired the worst GM ever and replaced him with somebody worse. It's mind-boggling.
Maybe it’s not the GM but the people they work for.

Reaction Score
Good deal. As long as they spend money on a front line pitcher. If they're just cutting payroll I will be beyond pissed.

Reaction Score
At least Sale is going to the NL. He hasn't done much in a few years with all of his injuries. Hopefully, this works out for Boston and they acquire pitching.

Reaction Score
Nice prospect. Kid can hit, .900 ops as a 22 year old in AAA. Looks like his home park in AAA was cavernous but on tbe road he put up almost 1000 ops. Hits righties and lefties equally. Good eye, good contact.
Only question is his defense- if he’s not good enough to start at 2b, they’ll probably put him corner OF.
I’m assuming he will be in the starting lineup for ‘24 unless he flops in spring training.

Reaction Score
I believe I read they are still about 35 mil under the first tax threshold, this trade likely opens up a signing of one of the top SP unless Breslow decides to dip into his Deep position player prospect list and make a bold move for a young SP.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I believe I read they are still about 35 mil under the first tax threshold, this trade likely opens up a signing of one of the top SP unless Breslow decides to dip into his Deep position player prospect list and make a bold move for a young SP.
I think this trade allows them to trade some of our deep middle infield prospects and get a cost controlled starter. Then sign Paxton as well. But they do have room to sign someone like Snell or Montgomery now as well. Mayer won’t be going anywhere, but there are others they can move.

Reaction Score
Nice prospect. Kid can hit, .900 ops as a 22 year old in AAA. Looks like his home park in AAA was cavernous but on tbe road he put up almost 1000 ops. Hits righties and lefties equally. Good eye, good contact.
Only question is his defense- if he’s not good enough to start at 2b, they’ll probably put him corner OF.
I’m assuming he will be in the starting lineup for ‘24 unless he flops in spring training.
I’m a big Braves fans so I’ll give you my thoughts on him.
  • Fan favorite and really good clubhouse guy
  • Potential with the bat is there but outside of his first month in the MLB, he just hasn’t been able to figure out MLB pitching. He’s been basically a slap hitter in the majors and just consistently looked bad at the plate. The Red Sox will need to change his approach.
  • His defense is atrocious. Truly unplayable at short, just really bad at second. He has the athleticism to turn into an average (or slightly below average) defender at second but Ron Washington of all people couldn’t coax it out of him. Bad instincts and bad footwork just kill his defensive value.
  • If he can adjust to MLB pitching, he should hit enough to offset his defense at second.
  • If everything breaks right, I could see him as a solid regular at second, but I wouldn’t bet on it at this point. Not a bad gamble by the Red Sox though, seems like each team got some upside with a likely outcome on each end being a resounding “meh”.

Reaction Score
Sounds like maybe he's a corner OF then. I don't want a so so defender up tbe middle. I saw some 22 vs 23 highlights and he seemed like he showed a lot more power in 22. Need to unlock that 22 version.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom