North Carolina Academics Report Out | Page 4 | The Boneyard

North Carolina Academics Report Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
i guess this has been swept under the rug? The largest academic scandal in the history of college athletics. unreal.

Reaction Score
When coach Roy said that dark times were ahead for UNC, he knew exactly what that meant.

Everyone seems to think that they're going to get off lightly, but this isn't going to end well. It's a "Not in the face" type of ending.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have a cousin who is a UNC grad, lives in NC. I've semi-ragged on him over this, but that story, if true, isn't just bad for athletics. The report suggests that the fraud extended to a fairly large number of non-athletes, too. Since it's unlikely that every last student involved will have a name revealed, a lot of grads will be painted with a brush of suspicion they don't deserve, not to mention the taint on the degree, involved or not. Big time sports - make that big time money in sports - is bad news. Winston at FSU has more protection than ebola nurses, SU has protected a few bad guys, and it's all about money. Maybe it's time to see it for what it is, let schools sponsor teams, let the players be paid, and if they so desire and can get into the school like everyone else, good for them.
The point is though is that they played with their own academic rules at the time. Its the same reason there are asterisks around Barry Bonds and other records for steroids. You can also argue that all the schools do it (or did it) but that argument didn't hold water with Lance Armstrong either. If we didn't have rules Amidah Brimah would play 40 minutes a game!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
It's currently the third story on ESPN behind the shooting at Parliament and the guy who jumped the fence at the white house this morning(?). I'd say that's pretty fair.
Did the fence jumper break a record or something?

Reaction Score
The Provost and a senior member of the Athletic Department are involved and beyond acknowledging that the documents have been received, nothing from the investigative commissions nor the major sports networks? If this happened at UConn, Emmert would be on campus throwing gasoline on Gampel and the basketball practice center and ESPN would bring the matches.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The Provost and a senior member of the Athletic Department are involved and beyond acknowledging that the documents have been received, nothing from the investigative commissions nor the major sports networks? If this happened at UConn, Emmert would be on campus throwing gasoline on Gampel and the basketball practice center and ESPN would bring the matches.
The APR was important when it was created. It was an attempt to ensure athletes weren't just being used and discarded. However, it was flawed from the beginning. Universities self reported. There never was validation that athletes were in fact getting an education only utilizing the APR. It was a smokescreen that is now apparent to at least some of us. It most likely punished universities with integrity. Although I'm not suggesting that all universities which met the APR were doctoring things.

It wasn't just UConn. It was JC. He was a thorn for a lot of people. Certain personalities invite that. It wasn't fair imo. Not by a long shot. But that's how things work. Not many in the media, or the population in general, have the ability to remove their personal distaste for something or someone in evaluating a higher truth.

You, who experienced the best and worst about foster care, should understand this pitfall with individuals and society as a whole.

Reaction Score
Our world has come to the point where people care more about failure than cheating.

Reaction Score
Just read the ESPN blurb on Boehiem's spanking and the following caught my cynical eye.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-jim-boeheim-never-viewed-same-ncaa-sanctions

Somewhere in Tennessee, Donnie Tyndall, under investigation for alleged violations committed while he was at Southern Miss, ought to be quivering in his orange blazer. Neither Larry Brown, facing NCAA scrutiny at SMU, nor Roy Williams, in the epicenter of the North Carolina academic mess, should be breathing easy, either.

"Absolutely they should be worried,'' the same lawyer said.

The penalties leveled at Boeheim are easily the harshest in recent years. Jim Calhoun, the former UConn coach, and Central Florida's Donnie Jones each was suspended three games. Frank Haith got five on the heels of the Miami investigation. Pearl missed eight, but that was a hit from the SEC offices, not the NCAA.

Yet Boeheim's punishment could have been far worse. COI chair Britton Banowsky said on a teleconference after the sanctions were announced that essentially Syracuse and Boeheim dodged a bullet because most of their violations came before the new penalty structure was put in place.

Otherwise the school would have been looking at a two-year postseason ban, six years' probation and most notably, up to a half-season suspension for Boehiem.

The NCAA is already framing its reason to let UNC off the hook for a decade of complete academic fraud.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is already framing its reason to let UNC off the hook for a decade of complete academic fraud.
I dunno, the penalties for obvious lack of institutional control have been the same at least since SMU got the death penalty, no?

But this is the NCAA so who f-cking knows

Reaction Score
Would really love to see a title vacated, won't happen though.

Reaction Score
If you think UNC will get outta this with all their titles intact, you haven't been paying attention.

Reaction Score
If you think UNC will get outta this with all their titles intact, you haven't been paying attention.
I've been paying attention, and noted the NCAA doing everything they can to not investigate this, except (thank duck) people have been coming forth with evidence that can't be ignored. Highly doubt any of what we've seen would have been found if we simply stepped back and let the NCAA do what they will.

Reaction Score
Have to see it too believe it. IMO the Orange got off on the easy side and they are not NC. They will get a firm slap on the wrist and I doubt we will like it. Compare any of this to all the negative media coverage we got for such minor infractions that don't even exist anymore. Every damm day e spn was raking us across the coals and for something so blatantly awful you hear almost nothing.

Reaction Score
Have to see it too believe it. IMO the Orange got off on the easy side and they are not NC. They will get a firm slap on the wrist and I doubt we will like it. Compare any of this to all the negative media coverage we got for such minor infractions that don't even exist anymore. Every damm day e spn was raking us across the coals and for something so blatantly awful you hear almost nothing.
I know.

My only hope is that things have been quiet because the investigation isn't done yet and the punishment hasn't been handed down. But it's still ridiculous that information comes out implicating the PROVOST and nobody at ESPN touches it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom