North Carolina Academics Report Out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

North Carolina Academics Report Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If a death penalty was ever deserved, this is it. This is an NCAA issue, unlike the Penn State criminal issue. I can't imagine a multi-year death penalty being avoided, if they don't drop the hammer on THIS then what will they drop it on?

Might be deserved but will never happen. The p5 will break away immediately if there was any thought of death penalty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Might be deserved but will never happen. The p5 will break away immediately if there was any thought of death penalty.
I'm not so sure that they'll rally behind UNC.

Reaction Score
If a death penalty was ever deserved, this is it. This is an NCAA issue, unlike the Penn State criminal issue. I can't imagine a multi-year death penalty being avoided, if they don't drop the hammer on THIS then what will they drop it on?

If they don't drop the hammer, then they lose whatever legitimacy they have left. Oh wait, never mind, there's none left.

Reaction Score
I really don't care about the athletes who were affected. If they decided to waste their scholarship by taking BS "classes" that require literally zero work, that's on them. I'm of the opinion that athletes should receive some sort of monetary payment. But when you enroll in a college it becomes your responsibility to decide the academic path you want to take.

The university should be ashamed, and the athletics program should be punished since it's obvious this entire situation was set up to keep athletes eligible. At the very least they need to receive the same postseason ban that we did for playing by the rules and failing athletes when they didn't uphold the "student" portion of student-athlete.
Well at least you are honest that you don't care about the people. I think you kind of blame them though by saying the athletes decided to waste their scholarships and chose zero work.
A - Its human nature to choose the easiest path, some did some didn't but everyone finds a few 'gut' course in college and
B-college athletes especially football players have a lot on their plate especially if they are academically behind, so in a lot of cases the UNC athletes choose between losing both their sport and scholarship versus continuing with sports and a compromised education that is at least better than none.
So I do sympathize with the people affected (notice you just called them athletes), though I stop well short of a "woe is them stance." I'd say it is now up to them to DEMAND retribution in the form of a new/real college education on UNC's dime. Easily settled in theory.

So then going back to the reaction here, reveling in UNC's downfall is actually a step beyond admitting you don't care. It is essentially ignoring and totally dismissing the fact that people get used for the sake of big-time athletics. Not a giant step because again this is the very hypocrisy that storms like this expose and that might ultimately bring down the entire American college 'student athlete' sham.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure that they'll rally behind UNC.

Not rally behind NC. But NC is a live image for the others to look at and maybe come to the conclusion that it would be beneficial to split before it's them.

Reaction Score
Am I blind, or is there not a single mention of the scandal on the ESPN home page?
Could they at least pretend to give a flying duck*?
image.jpg

Reaction Score
death penalty or not. How long would you guess until there is a decision? is there possibility of poached recruits?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You have rules and people/programs face consequences when they break them. If not it is a sham. I'm sure I would feel for any young person who got caught up in this mess. I actually feel for Dean Smith too because he did a lot of good things.

But compassion and consequences are not opposing options.

Ultimately, they deserve both. But the irony/hypocrisy here is friggin delicious so let me have a victory lap before I return to my better angels.

Reaction Score
I have a cousin who is a UNC grad, lives in NC. I've semi-ragged on him over this, but that story, if true, isn't just bad for athletics. The report suggests that the fraud extended to a fairly large number of non-athletes, too. Since it's unlikely that every last student involved will have a name revealed, a lot of grads will be painted with a brush of suspicion they don't deserve, not to mention the taint on the degree, involved or not. Big time sports - make that big time money in sports - is bad news. Winston at FSU has more protection than ebola nurses, SU has protected a few bad guys, and it's all about money. Maybe it's time to see it for what it is, let schools sponsor teams, let the players be paid, and if they so desire and can get into the school like everyone else, good for them.
There is also a lot of collateral damage. The students that got degrees after taking these "classes" and then beat some out for a job even though they had a fake degree.

Reaction Score
Am I blind, or is there not a single mention of the scandal on the ESPN home page?
Could they at least pretend to give a flying duck*? View attachment 7255
When the Miles/APR thing broke during the tournament we were on the NBC Nightly News. Calhoun was grilled mercilessly and not only were we a headline story but the majority of sports writers came out against us. This is not about liking or not liking NC, it's about fairness in treating us different than others by the NCAA. Can't help it but what happened then to us means that we see this in a different light than most programs.

Reaction Score
When the Miles/APR thing broke during the tournament we were on the NBC Nightly News. Calhoun was grilled mercilessly and not only were we a headline story but the majority of sports writers came out against us. This is not about liking or not liking NC, it's about fairness in treating us different than others by the NCAA. Can't help it but what happened then to us means that we see this in a different light than most programs.

The story was the main article on the front page of CNN. It was talked about in the Today Show, NBC Nightly News and a variety of other outlets. People are talking about it, just not ESPN, which is even more absurd.

Reaction Score
It's currently the third story on ESPN behind the shooting at Parliament and the guy who jumped the fence at the white house this morning(?). I'd say that's pretty fair.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's currently the third story on ESPN behind the shooting at Parliament and the guy who jumped the fence at the white house this morning(?). I'd say that's pretty fair.
Except the first two aren't sports stories. Regardless all three are MIA now.

It is first of the sidebar stories on the NCAAM page though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Onion‏@TheOnion 47m47 minutes ago
[American Voices] Report: UNC Inflated Grades, Created Fake Classes For Over 3,100 Students http://onion.com/1uMfQKT #WhatDoYouThink?

Not a good thing when there is no room for hyperbole in an @TheOnion tweet.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I saw it covered on Morning Joe this a.m.
There was consensus that the "nobody knew about it" line was BS.

Reaction Score
We'll get to Dean and Roy later, because their right hand academic advisors were in it up to their necks but once the NCAA sorts this out it will be interesting how long the post season bans will be and how many scholarships are lost. Penn State had a mini death sentence because of one of their coaches with no tie to anything by the players, different I know. This gaming of the system was so long standing and pervasive. Roy would be smart to get out now.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It would be very difficult to prove, unless former athletics department staff come forward, but it does seem logical that this was a program that was planned and designed to support the athletics teams but deliberately opened up to all students as a form of protective subterfuge. Smiling Roy likely has very dirty hands here.

Reaction Score
We have this news about North Carolina, and next week more info will come out regarding Syracuse. Who's next?
The ACC conference: Academically Challenged Colleges

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
We have this news about North Carolina, and next week more info will come out regarding Syracuse. Who's next?
The ACC conference: Academically Challenged Colleges
All Cheaters Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member