Non-Key Tweets | Page 97 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You clearly understood what he said. So why be a dick and correct him. Its a message board. These things don't need be nipped in the butt.
"I could care less. (Really?!?!? Because if you could care less, presumably, you would care less)," is my favorite. It's like nails down a chalkboard, but I resist the urge, unless it is a "pet peeve" or "Festivus" thread.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3h
@stoplot
The important part of the Navy article is how the AD is even more convinced now vs 2012 that Conf affil is critical going forward

@stoplot I'm not trying to state Navy's circumstances=ND curcumstances. Only pointing out how much"lay of the land" has changed in 18months

@stoplot Even for ND and all its resources and history of Ind is being effected by the here-and-now of CFP criteria..effects on recruiting

@stoplot Polls will not decide top 2.....or now top 4. Comm will decide, and their criteria makes it doubtful ND can win ever win.......

@stoplot .tiebreakers with 3rd/4th seeded conference champs with = losses and comparable SOS. The lanscape has changed-ACC membership >>IND

Greg Flugaur
@flugempire · 3h
@stoplot Top level recruits will see....or be told by other "helmet schools"...that Independence is most difficult pathway to Playoffs.

@stoplot There is a reason why Swarbrick said of the Irish wanting to keep IND "as of right now"....sands quickly shifting underneath

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2h
@stoplot Told it will unfold before end of 14/15 season...ND will no longer be IND by 17/18. If true, will know in next 4-6 months..no later

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Ok so let's assume that the dude's Minnesota connection is spot on and Notre Dame goes all-in and joins the ACC for football. And let's assume that the ACC's sponsored legislation for conferences to be able to choose championship game participants without the need for 12 plus teams of equal divisions or more importantly without the need for divisions (at all). Then there would be no need for #16 and no need for UConn as they could have one 15 team division and rotate scheduling and pick the top two with Conf record plus overall ranking.

Pretty much shuts the door on us.

Sadly we only have two ways into the ACC or B1G.
1) we do the impossible and start running the table in football so that it's impossible to ignore us
2) a conference network sees the value we add in TV rights negotiation - it worked for Rutgers and Maryland.

It may take 10+ years but we will move up via option #2 because I believe expansion (ie more money) is inevitable. Option #1 would make a move happen much more quickly - within 3-5 years. It's just not likely to happen.

I've given up on getting out in the near future. Longterm I think we are well positioned if we are still able to compete with the big boys financially. If we put out a decent football product in the next five years with basketball remaining elite, look for us to negotiate a sweetheart deal with the AAC if still in it. This would likely include retention of our third tier rights to resell regionally to SNY.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok so let's assume that the dude's Minnesota connection is spot on and Notre Dame goes all-in and joins the ACC for football. And let's assume that the ACC's sponsored legislation for conferences to be able to choose championship game participants without the need for 12 plus teams of equal divisions or more importantly without the need for divisions (at all). Then there would be no need for #16 and no need for UConn as they could have one 15 team division and rotate scheduling and pick the top two with Conf record plus overall ranking.

Pretty much shuts the door on us.

Sadly we only have two ways into the ACC or B1G.
1) we do the impossible and start running the table in football so that it's impossible to ignore us
2) a conference network sees the value we add in TV rights negotiation - it worked for Rutgers and Maryland.

It may take 10+ years but we will move up via option #2 because I believe expansion (ie more money) is inevitable. Option #1 would make a move happen much more quickly - within 3-5 years. It's just not likely to happen.

I've given up on getting out in the near future. Longterm I think we are well positioned if we are still able to compete with the big boys financially. If we put out a decent football product in the next five years with basketball remaining elite, look for us to negotiate a sweetheart deal with the AAC if still in it. This would likely include retention of our third tier rights to resell regionally to SNY.

This takes pessimism too far. I am convinced that the ACC wants UConn...right now. But is only holding off because of Notre Dame. Notre Dame is the only thing keeping UConn out of the ACC.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
This takes pessimism too far. I am convinced that the ACC wants UConn...right now. But is only holding off because of Notre Dame. Notre Dame is the only thing keeping UConn out of the ACC.
I hope you are right, and I have been an optimist up to this point, but I'm just broken.

The only things that have kept me believing that we have a near term shot are 1) if no division requirements necessary for champ game gets passed (and ND stays Indy or somehow the B1G gets interested in us) and 2) the ACC gets a network - which I don't think gets off the ground for 10 years if ever. Just too many hurdles with GORs in near term for us to really have a shot right now. Just not enough movement.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn is too big a market, too important a market, and too good an athletics program to be left on the sidelines. Antitrust law will play a role and apart from its positive value to both the ACC and B1G, UConn would have a strong antitrust case if it was left out of any P5 breakaway. It is far cheaper for the P5 to bring UConn into the tent than to let it go to a fight.

It is more a question of when, how, and with whom it happens than whether. The conferences are like prizefighters in early rounds, feeling their way and developing a strategy. When they know how other players will jump, they'll take their best shot. Somebody's best shot will involve UConn.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
pj said:
UConn is too big a market, too important a market, and too good an athletics program to be left on the sidelines. Antitrust law will play a role and apart from its positive value to both the ACC and B1G, UConn would have a strong antitrust case if it was left out of any P5 breakaway. It is far cheaper for the P5 to bring UConn into the tent than to let it go to a fight. It is more a question of when, how, and with whom it happens than whether. The conferences are like prizefighters in early rounds, feeling their way and developing a strategy. When they know how other players will jump, they'll take their best shot. Somebody's best shot will involve UConn.
I think a move happens inevitably, as I stated, but it's likely in 10 years not sooner. If sooner then really a lot of stars have to align.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
You clearly understood what he said. So why be a dick and correct him. Its a message board. These things don't need be nipped in the butt.[/QUOTE

I wasn't trying to be a dick, just letting him know that he was using the wrong word. Would you rather learn the correct word on an anonymous internet forum or go through your life making the same mistake repeatedly?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

1) I don't think the Minnesota guy will be proven correct. I just don't know why that sort of information would come through that small a crack.

2) Let's say it was true - no conference is going to sit at 15.

Reaction Score
1) I don't think the Minnesota guy will be proven correct. I just don't know why that sort of information would come through that small a crack.

2) Let's say it was true - no conference is going to sit at 15.

Why not? 3 pods of 5 would work. Top 2 ranked teams play for cg.

pj

Reaction Score

After @TheFishofWV lost his Twitter password, they had no choice but to go through the next biggest crack.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
1) I don't think the Minnesota guy will be proven correct. I just don't know why that sort of information would come through that small a crack. 2) Let's say it was true - no conference is going to sit at 15.
I completely agree with #1.

I think the ACC and the Swoff would be happy as a pig in to sit with ND all in at 15 and stop there for a long time (ie end of current TV deal) if the division deregulation passes.

Reaction Score
I think that the reported support of Uconn from Duke and UNC and UVA is pure BS, especially the two NC schools. Why would either of those two schools want to add a more successful BB program when that sport is king at their schools and it is the sport that gives them the illusion of power in the world of college athletics? If those 3 schools were so supportive, where are they on Uconn FB's OOC schedules? Where are they on the MBB OOC schedules?

Never trust a southerner that smiles at you and tells you that "y'all are great and we think y'all would be a fine addition to the family. We just have to wait until garndpappy is in the right mood to secure his blessing. Y'all know how he is about yankees." They are real good at making you think everything is great when they have no intention at all of embracing what you want.

UNC and UVA have each had series of games against both football and basketball over the last 10 years or so. UVA has a future series set up with football as well. Duke agreed to a neutral site game in NJ which is a great opportunity for UConn to get. Duke had a football series in 2004/2007 as well. Wake Forest and NC St have played UConn as well. You may be able to complain against most of the ACC, but the NC schools and UVA have been very good to UConn scheduling wise.

Reaction Score
Why not? 3 pods of 5 would work. Top 2 ranked teams play for cg.
Three pods of 5 can't really work.

Pod 1 plays Pod 2
Pod 2 plays Pod 1
Pod 3 plays Pod ?

It can be done, but it is a pain in the ass.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Pods could work but they would be a heck of a lot more difficult to schedule than 2 simple, even divisions. If ND joins full time, I would view it as a positive for UCONN's chances. Either the ACC would prefer to get to 16 schools so they could have 2 8-team divisions OR the B1G might not want to "lose" UCONN to the ACC and would act quicker than they wanted.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for ND going to the ACC full-time. But this is ND we're talking about. The greatest conference kock tease in the entire country.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
This isn't ending anytime soon. Realignment has the biggest jump still to come. When have you ever seen where a powerful entity gobbled up all the wealth and said "this is good enough"? This first step is to separate the haves from the have-nots with respect to football. If you think it stops there then you aren't paying attention to history. Soon, the big boys will be saying "You know, we generate 90% of the football revenue, why should we give it to Vanderbilt? or Washington State? or Duke? Or Minnesota?We need contraction". The next big jump in revenue growth is to shrink the P5 to 32 teams. Maybe less. A national CFB league. If the SEC can rake off 30 million a team, this top 32 will approach NFL numbers. Its coming in my lifetime I bet and I am 48. With that said, how do we stay relevant in the tier 2 model? We won't be in that top 32 ever. Not sure of much other than chaos is our friend.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
This should be good....moonshine is flowing early today in them thar hills: Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 29m Expansion news coming. Trying to figure out the best way to share as I don't want the UL fans to mock me :)
Let me guess, Big 12 is adding Notre dame, UNC, VPI, FSU, Clemson and GA Tech to go to 16. Texas decided to be a team player and the longhorn network will be relaunched as the Big 16 network and payout will be $60mil per school. Former ACC schools have no GOR obligations because the conference dissolves with mass exodus. Big 10 picking up UVA (and UConn), and SEC takes Duke and NC State to add a state and help basketball. Louisville, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse and Wake are reabsorbed into AAC. And BC and The Swoff are left holding the bag.

Reaction Score
So the saintly-and-holy B1G (several sports, notably football and men's basketball) had 11 teams -- and 11 is a prime number -- with no divisions nor pods (and no full round-robin in football) for 20 years...
The Marinatto Big East (basketball) had 17 teams -- and 17 is a prime number -- with no divisions nor pods (nor balanced round robin) for 9 years...
The ACC basketball of 2013-14 had 15 teams, with nod divisions nor pods (nor balanced round robin); this configuration shall continue unless/until conference realignment.

While a "balanced round robin" among 6+ teams (current NCAA rules) seems most "fair", the whole point of the "conference championship game deregulation" is that rule could be eliminated, and conferences could schedule and align as they choose. For eons prior to "divisions" within major collegiate athletics, many conferences did NOT play full round robin schedules in football, and there were no "pods"...

If "conference championship game deregulation" passes, I see no reason why ACC (full-membership for ND? add only UConn?) and/or B1G (add UConn) would not be perfectly content with 15 members. (If any conference had 15 members, they could each play 8 conference games, consisting of 2 "annual rivals" and then rotate the other 6 games versus the other 12 members, thus playing everyone in conference over two seasons. While this concept is perhaps most easily implemented with 5 pods of 3 teams apiece, I am highly confident that the "rivalries" need not constitute full round-robins within pods... I am just not going to do a mathematical proof at this time...)

Reaction Score
UNC and UVA have each had series of games against both football and basketball over the last 10 years or so. UVA has a future series set up with football as well. Duke agreed to a neutral site game in NJ which is a great opportunity for UConn to get. Duke had a football series in 2004/2007 as well. Wake Forest and NC St have played UConn as well. You may be able to complain against most of the ACC, but the NC schools and UVA have been very good to UConn scheduling wise.
The prior FB games were a result of the BE/ACC settlement when VT, MIA and BC left. So I don't count those as support. The Duke BB game is a made for TV game that benefits both schools equally but is not any long term series. I just don't view those schools as supportive of Uconn because if they were, this board would not exist.

Reaction Score
The prior FB games were a result of the BE/ACC settlement when VT, MIA and BC left. So I don't count those as support. The Duke BB game is a made for TV game that benefits both schools equally but is not any long term series. I just don't view those schools as supportive of Uconn because if they were, this board would not exist.
UVa FB was the only series as part of the BE-ACC settlement (for UConn). The home and homes v. UNC, Duke, WF, NCSU, GT, and UMd were all unrelated to the settlement. The upcoming football home and home series v. UVa is unrelated to the settlement. As for how supportive those schools were of UConn getting into the ACC, who the hell knows. It only takes 3-4 schools to be strongly opposed to keep a school out, and we've definitely got those in BCU, UM, and apparently FSU and Clemson (although Noles/Tigers seemed to be more about making a stand against tobacco road).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isn't ending anytime soon. Realignment has the biggest jump still to come. When have you ever seen where a powerful entity gobbled up all the wealth and said "this is good enough"? This first step is to separate the haves from the have-nots with respect to football. If you think it stops there then you aren't paying attention to history. Soon, the big boys will be saying "You know, we generate 90% of the football revenue, why should we give it to Vanderbilt? or Washington State? or Duke? Or Minnesota?We need contraction". The next big jump in revenue growth is to shrink the P5 to 32 teams. Maybe less. A national CFB league. If the SEC can rake off 30 million a team, this top 32 will approach NFL numbers. Its coming in my lifetime I bet and I am 48. With that said, how do we stay relevant in the tier 2 model? We won't be in that top 32 ever. Not sure of much other than chaos is our friend.
Nice work but in most marketplaces loyalty to a particular brand isn't very strong. One company can keep gobbling up competitors and simply take in their existing customers. With sports you can't do this. The more teams you lock out the less customers you have. Do you see Uconn fans giving up and becomine Rutgers fans? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I am breaking my own rule about sticking to the subject in title of thread. The athletic department is failing. I sense no urgency from them about lagging football season tickets. They need to get creative instead of counting on a good showing against BYU boosting sales. We need to see the number 40000 every game. I don't care if they give the tickets away. My saying comes back; perception is everything. The media doesn't (except for the Courant) break it down to 25000 full price and 15000 1.00 tickets. The revenue you might be giving up should the team come around and build immediate buzz, will be made up by exiting AAC purgatory. Should it take a couple of years to build the program, all will see 40000

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom