Non-Key Tweets | Page 155 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

GG

Reaction Score
FWIW, The dude has some tweets, dating back a couple of days, in which he indicates that UCONN would be the number one candidate if the big 12 started its own network.

Reaction Score
FWIW, The dude has some tweets, dating back a couple of days, in which he indicates that UCONN would be the number one candidate if the big 12 started its own network.

Our metrics increase significantly when a private network is a key part of the selection process. The size and location of the UConn DMA, the loyalty of UConn nation and the low level of competition with Professional sports in state make us a positive revenue addition. I don't see much c0mpetition left for us in the non P5 space, maybe BYU and that's it. Did I forget anyone?

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, for a network we're #1 and BYU #2, no one else adds much. For over the air TV brand matters much more.

For a network of course we're more valuable than BC, Cuse, Pitt, or Louisville, but that didn't matter to the ACC. Nevertheless it should be a key part of UConn's sales pitch to any conference: "The revenue streams are moving to networks, either conference networks or ESPN networks featuring a limited portfolio of conferences, and so even if your revenue isn't derived from a network now, your future revenue will be based on value to a network. UConn is one of the 30-40 most valuable properties in the country to a network. You can increase your average per-school value by adding UConn."

Reaction Score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ok-east-not-west-if-league-decides-to-expand/
The next to last comment ( manifestdestiny2014 says:Dec 29, 2014 7:45 PM ) makes a lot of good points. I'm not vouching for the data. Big 12 folds, 4 power conferences of 16 teams each. A look at the programs in the running to fill the slots.
"Looking at TV markets at student population the most attractive of the non Big 12 teams would be:
UCF: 60K students, #18 TV market (Orlando)
USF: 50K Students, #14 TV market (Tampa)
Cinci: 44K Students, #35 TV Market
Memphis: 23K students, #50 TV Market
Houston:32K students, #10 TV market
BYU: 32K students, #33 TV market
San Diego St: 30K students, #28 TV market
UCONN: 25K students, #30 TV (New Haven)+NY
New Mex: 28K students,#47 TV (state)
UNLV or Nevada 27K students, #42 TV market"

Reaction Score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ok-east-not-west-if-league-decides-to-expand/
The next to last comment ( manifestdestiny2014 says:Dec 29, 2014 7:45 PM ) makes a lot of good points. I'm not vouching for the data. Big 12 folds, 4 power conferences of 16 teams each. A look at the programs in the running to fill the slots.
"Looking at TV markets at student population the most attractive of the non Big 12 teams would be:
UCF: 60K students, #18 TV market (Orlando)
USF: 50K Students, #14 TV market (Tampa)
Cinci: 44K Students, #35 TV Market
Memphis: 23K students, #50 TV Market
Houston:32K students, #10 TV market
BYU: 32K students, #33 TV market
San Diego St: 30K students, #28 TV market
UCONN: 25K students, #30 TV (New Haven)+NY
New Mex: 28K students,#47 TV (state)
UNLV or Nevada 27K students, #42 TV market"

You have to take a lot more into account. A school needs to be #1 in that market, or market size means nothing.

Second, I see you added NY (+NY). When you add Fairfield to Hart-NH's #30, then the Connecticut market jumps into the top 20.

Third, you have to look at the demographics as well. Per capita income and the like.

Also, TV ratings!!!

Reaction Score
Yes, for a network we're #1 and BYU #2, no one else adds much. For over the air TV brand matters much more.

For a network of course we're more valuable than BC, Cuse, Pitt, or Louisville, but that didn't matter to the ACC. Nevertheless it should be a key part of UConn's sales pitch to any conference: "The revenue streams are moving to networks, either conference networks or ESPN networks featuring a limited portfolio of conferences, and so even if your revenue isn't derived from a network now, your future revenue will be based on value to a network. UConn is one of the 30-40 most valuable properties in the country to a network. You can increase your average per-school value by adding UConn."

I think the better assumption is that it did matter to the ACC -- to the ACC offices -- which is why the ACC offices had assumed that we would replace Maryland. Unfortunately, FSU was at a moment where football brand ruled all, and found allies who had pettier reasons.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's up to the decision makers to determine what matters most. Location, brand, gripes, rivalries, location, location...

Reaction Score

Well, the ACC is going to be meeting next week to discuss a network. Ironically, it is the President of FSU who is talking about it. Does the possiblility of an ACC network give us any hope?

John Thrasher, president of Florida State University, said ACC presidents will meet next week and among the topic is an ACC Network.

“There is a lot of work that has got to go into it. You think of the number of states you would have to bring together; the cable networks and all of that,” said Thrasher. “It’s a very complex operation but we met with one of the consultants and we’re excited about it.”

The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference. Meanwhile the market is booming; demand among advertisers has never been higher, as seen in the astronomical rights fees broadcasters are paying.

“Revenue, revenue, revenue, you’ve got to look for revenue in this business and that (an ACC Network) is certainly one,” said Thrasher. “I think it has been pretty successful for the Southeastern Conference and the ones out west. So, we’re excited.”

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/174594

Reaction Score
If the ACC hasn't learned in the past 10 years how much more valuable UCONN is in the Northeast than BC is, then I'm not sure anything will help us. Or the ACC.

When he says has more households and population, who knows what he is talking about. Is he comparing Pitt to Penn State? Clemson to USC? Louisville to UK? Georgia Tech to Georgia? Nonsense.

Reaction Score
You have to take a lot more into account. A school needs to be #1 in that market, or market size means nothing.

Second, I see you added NY (+NY). When you add Fairfield to Hart-NH's #30, then the Connecticut market jumps into the top 20.

Third, you have to look at the demographics as well. Per capita income and the like.

Also, TV ratings!!!

Totally agree, a metric that showed not only the TV market but the demand for the school within that television market would be extremely helpful. I totally understand that teams like USF, UCF and Houston are in large TV markets, but their relative value is diluted by the presence of other professional teams/actual fan base. UConn falls in a moderate sized TV market, but are the #1 draw for the entire state of Connecticut, plus a top five collegiate draw in New England and the Tri-State Area. The directional Florida schools are 4th and 5th respectively behind Florida, Florida State and Miami while Houston is behind Texas, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech etc.

From a television and business standpoint, the two best revenue generating schools for the Big XII would be UConn and BYU.

Reaction Score

Also, TV ratings!!!
i think your contradicting yourself. you will give Uconn credit for NYC but UCF can't count Orlando? is either the # 1 in that respective market?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Who wants New York? If the B1G grabs us, you effectively lock it up. If the ACC grabs us it puts them on equal footing or one up on the B1G. All that is stopping us is a favorable outcome with the spring NCAA meeting. If the conferences vote for a loosening of the league structuring rules, we're in good shape, IMO.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 22m22 minutes ago
Announcement of ACCN imminent. Likely ends the possibility of P5 poaching of other P5 conf.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 22m22 minutes ago
Announcement of ACCN imminent. Likely ends the possibility of P5 poaching of other P5 conf.

Michael ‏@palmer4Cy 23m23 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV ACCN?

Jeff ‏@saintwarrick 23m23 minutes ago
@palmer4Cy @theDudeofWV ACC Network, I assume.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 20m20 minutes ago
@saintwarrick @palmer4Cy Yes.

ME: Could a blind squirrel find a nut from time to time? :cool:

I know you guys are skeptical. I know you guys think we all despise you but I hope that this would force the brain trust in Greensboro (the yahoo fans like a certain Fl. visitor are a lost cause, though) to evolve from their small-time thinking and actually think about how to best monetize content through exploiting markets. Imagine the UConn basketball team on the ACC Network.

Reaction Score
The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference.
It stretches from Boston to Miami, but there's a giant hole in the middle called New York City and Philadelphia.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I know you guys are skeptical. I know you guys think we all despise you but I hope that this would force the brain trust in Greensboro (the yahoo fans like a certain Fl. visitor are a lost cause, though) to evolve from their small-time thinking and actually think about how to best monetize content through exploiting markets. Imagine the UConn basketball team on the ACC Network.
I agree with most folks here that our goal should be the B1G, but hot damn would I love to stomp out ACC teams on the regular.

Reaction Score
More evidence as to how little basketball matters. NYC, Philly, DC covered mostly by the Big East and Atlantic 10, and the AAC! ACC has Syracuse and B1G has Maryland. Hardly a significant presence in this long stretch of prime real estate.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 22m22 minutes ago

Michael ‏@palmer4Cy 23m23 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV ACCN?

Jeff ‏@saintwarrick 23m23 minutes ago
@palmer4Cy @theDudeofWV ACC Network, I assume.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 20m20 minutes ago
@saintwarrick @palmer4Cy Yes.

ME: Could a blind squirrel find a nut from time to time? :cool:

And I'll stick my nose in here one more time and say: If Conference Championship Game (/Division scheduling) deregulation passes -- and particularly if an ACC Network is formalized -- UConn could be added as #15 (without an accompanying #16).

I know my ACC brethren on this board disagree with me, I know many UConn stalwarts on this board disagree with me, I still believe that UConn is so far superior to other #16 candidates (Notre Dame notwithstanding) and would help so much with an ACC Network that "15 teams" will not be a problem.

Reaction Score
I know my ACC brethren on this board disagree with me, I know many UConn stalwarts on this board disagree with me, I still believe that UConn is so far superior to other #16 candidates (Notre Dame notwithstanding) and would help so much with an ACC Network that "15 teams" will not be a problem.

Actually, I think most are in agreement. UConn would be a valuable program, if not the most valuable program left, for the ACC to add; but, there is just too much politics and emotions between the ACC and UConn now after the last several years for it to work.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

And I'll stick my nose in here one more time and say: If Conference Championship Game (/Division scheduling) deregulation passes -- and particularly if an ACC Network is formalized -- UConn could be added as #15 (without an accompanying #16).

Make no mistake, UCONN fans would do backflips over an invite from any P5 conference - ACC included. There is just more resentment towards the ACC from most UCONN fans because of the way every ACC expansion has gone down, from the BC/Miami/VT additions to the Louisville addition. A lot of these schools that the ACC added are heated rivals with us so we've all had the pleasure of listening to/reading a bunch of gloating from various fanbases about how their school/athletic department is just soooooo much better than our own (when in some cases, it is not true). The criteria used to justify each addition seems to change for each selection too so that it can explain why X school was added over UCONN.

When you get right down to it, college sports is watched and loved by fans for its rivalries. There's only one school in the B1G that UCONN fans can identify as being hated. There are several schools in the ACC that UCONN fans would love nothing more than to watch their demise so that their pompous fanbases will fall off of their inflated perches. Because of that reason alone (amongst several other reasons), UCONN + the ACC are a good fit. And make no mistake, the hatred/animosity goes both ways...no matter how many times some fanbases try to claim otherwise.

Reaction Score
If the state lines were somehow removed and the result was the UCONNMASS HUSKIESMEN, or the UCONNBUFFMASS HUSKIESBULLSMEN, then the B1G would be calling. We need some modern day mergers and acquisitions in these parts.

Reaction Score
There has to be a reason, usually monetary, for a conference to expand.

With the B1G almost certainly approaching contract negotiations, it should be known in the near future whether those negotiations make expansion desirable for the conference/media. The demand for quality sports TV viewing has been on an upswing. ESPN is chortling and selling ads, the BTN is making record money...I'd guess that the odds would be very good for B1G expansion.

I suspect that the Big 12 has not expanded solely for the reason that the media contractors would not guarantee that the current individual payouts would not suffer. Since the Big 12 does not have a conference network like the B1G, the dynamics of adding a program are different.

The ACC currently does not have a driver for expansion. With a ACCN at least two to three years out (if at all), no contract negotiations going on, the only thing that could drive expansion would be the five year "look in". If ESPN said it would make it worthwhile, the ACC could add a program, and wait for ND before adding another.

Reaction Score
There has to be a reason, usually monetary, for a conference to expand.

With the B1G almost certainly approaching contract negotiations, it should be known in the near future whether those negotiations make expansion desirable for the conference/media. The demand for quality sports TV viewing has been on an upswing. ESPN is chortling and selling ads, the BTN is making record money...I'd guess that the odds would be very good for B1G expansion.

I suspect that the Big 12 has not expanded solely for the reason that the media contractors would not guarantee that the current individual payouts would not suffer. Since the Big 12 does not have a conference network like the B1G, the dynamics of adding a program are different.

The ACC currently does not have a driver for expansion. With a ACCN at least two to three years out (if at all), no contract negotiations going on, the only thing that could drive expansion would be the five year "look in". If ESPN said it would make it worthwhile, the ACC could add a program, and wait for ND before adding another.

Do we know for sure that their is a 5 year look-in? Or is that just internet talk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom