Non-Key Tweets | Page 124 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know if there is an ideal number for a conference.

If you have a network, inventory means live content and live content means cash...in that instance, more is better.

At what point those returns start to diminish, I don't know.

I don't think CCG deregulation moves the needle for us at all - no one will move to 15 football schools.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think CCG deregulation means that UCONN will get an accelerated invite. But I do think it should be viewed as welcome news by UCONN fans in that it removes a barrier to help UCONN get out of AAC purgatory: the ol' 'you-need-a-partner' barrier.

It's not preferable to have an odd number of teams for scheduling but the B1G did go through a long stretch where it had 11 members. It's not the top choice, but it also isn't the worst thing in the world.

All that said, UCONN still needs to play catchup on the research end, endowment and jumpstarting our flatlined football program before we go anywhere.

Reaction Score
I don't think CCG deregulation means that UCONN will get an accelerated invite. But I do think it should be viewed as welcome news by UCONN fans in that it removes a barrier to help UCONN get out of AAC purgatory: the ol' 'you-need-a-partner' barrier.

It's not preferable to have an odd number of teams for scheduling but the B1G did go through a long stretch where it had 11 members. It's not the top choice, but it also isn't the worst thing in the world.

All that said, UCONN still needs to play catchup on the research end, endowment and jumpstarting our flatlined football program before we go anywhere.

THE B1G IS NEVER GOING TO 15 SCHOOLS.

The Western schools are already bitching that with the UMD & RU additions they are playing OSU, Mich, PSU & Mich St less than they have in the past. Any new expansion (to 16 teams) will need to be a huge needle mover in terms of dollars & will likely drive them to a 10 game conference schedule in order to try and offset the fact that the schools in the West division will not see the East schools as frequently as in the past.

There are many things that could cause the next round of expansion but anyone who believes that the Conference Championship Game issue is our way out is being ridiculous and is wasting their breath & energy in trying to think this is welcome news to UConn

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
THE B1G IS NEVER GOING TO 15 SCHOOLS.

The Western schools are already bitching that with the UMD & RU additions they are playing OSU, Mich, PSU & Mich St less than they have in the past. Any new expansion (to 16 teams) will need to be a huge needle mover in terms of dollars & will likely drive them to a 10 game conference schedule in order to try and offset the fact that the schools in the West division will not see the East schools as frequently as in the past.

There are many things that could cause the next round of expansion but anyone who believes that the Conference Championship Game issue is our way out is being ridiculous and is wasting their breath & energy in trying to think this is welcome news to UConn

Never said it was our way out...just said it removed a potential barrier. They could, in THEORY, add UCONN now and wait until some GORs expire in other conferences. Pick the low hanging fruit before somebody else does maneuver.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think CCG deregulation moves the needle for us at all - no one will move to 15 football schools.

If we were attractive enough, they would.

The ACC de facto went to 15 with Notre Dame. Scheduling their 5 games a year is just as difficult as scheduling a 15-team league.

Not saying we are attractive enough.

Reaction Score

The ACC de facto went to 15 with Notre Dame. Scheduling their 5 games a year is just as difficult as scheduling a 15-team league.

How is scheduling 5 out of conference games spread across 14 teams just as difficult as scheduling a 15 team conference?

It's not even close to being as difficult

Reaction Score
With CCG deregulation, there is no constraint on "division" structure; by eliminating divisions, the implementation of "fair" and "balanced" schedules becomes much easier.

With 15 teams: Each team plays 2 annual rivals every year (hence the "annual rival" designation). In odd-years, teams play "Half A" (one group of 6 of the 12 remaining teams). In even-years, teams play "Half B" (other group of 6 of the remaining 12 teams). (Yes, for each team the composition of "annual rivals", "Half A", and "Half B" is unique, and it is *not* tied to "divisions" or "pods".)

An even number of conference games is inherently more "fair" than an odd number of conference games. (Equal quantity of home and away conference games)
-- If the B1G goes to ten conference games (to reach an even number), that leaves *2* games for OOC. Keep in mind there are presently 125 in FBS and 65 in P5. So the B1G could conceivably intermingle with the rest of the country twice a year????

With the method I described above, *everybody* plays *everybody* over the course of two years. Therefore, Iowa and Wisconsin end up playing Ohio State and Michigan more frequently in that structure than in the present structure even if not "annual rivals". (With two divisions, this *requires* the ten-game schedule [not 9] to ensure that with 14 teams, and a ten-game schedule is insufficient to ensure that with 16 teams.)

The issues at hand are not limited to Iowa and Wisconsin losing games with Ohio State and Michigan. Now Ohio State and Michigan are forced to play Maryland and Rutgers every year. Many Buckeyes are not enamored of this, either. Presuming Maryland and/or Rutgers are not designated as "annual rivals" for Ohio State and/or Michigan, the 15-team league with 8 conference games featuring 2 annual rivals resolves all of these issues. ("15" also addresses issues about "expansion partners" and the limited pool of "desirable candidates" for expansion).

The only problem I can think of with a 15-team league is that you never have the whole conference playing one another at a given time on the schedule. And that is just not that big a deal: Don't forget that ACC had 9 for awhile, B1G had 11 for awhile, ACC basketball now has 15, Big East basketball used to have 17.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Just stop.

You know how hard it is to work in five non-conference game against Notre Dame?

Really easy. The hardest part is counting the gate receipts.

No one is moving to 15 teams in football.

Never.

You can find John Swofford on record as saying specifically that 15 is "illogical" and that the ACC will only add a 16th if and when Notre Dame decides to enter the conference.

Reaction Score
Just stop.

You can find John Swofford on record as saying specifically that 15 is "illogical" and that the ACC will only add a 16th if and when Notre Dame decides to enter the conference.

I'd be curious to find that quote. Under the current "championship game regulation", absolutely, 15 is "illogical". (Even though MAC has often had 13, and it has required -- and been granted -- a waiver by NCAA to have the odd number of teams and still have two divisions and a championship game).

If Swofford said 15 was illogical while arguing for CCG deregulation, I'll shut up. I am unaware of when and in what context he said that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"There is no need to add a 16th team to the league," Swofford said. "From a practical standpoint it really is illogical." Swofford pointed out that adding a 15th member would only cause imbalance with the ACC’s football divisions, which will remain at seven teams apiece.

pj

Reaction Score
You know how hard it is to work in five non-conference game against Notre Dame?

Really easy. The hardest part is counting the gate receipts.

Yes, and it's just as easy to work in a 15-team conference if you play an even number of conference games annually. You can program a computer to spit out schedules a myriad of ways.

All they need is the projected gate receipts and TV receipts to motivate the move. There's no technical barrier to a 15-team conference. If Notre Dame wanted to join the ACC on condition of staying at 15 teams, the ACC would be delighted to take them.

pj

Reaction Score
"There is no need to add a 16th team to the league," Swofford said. "From a practical standpoint it really is illogical." Swofford pointed out that adding a 15th member would only cause imbalance with the ACC’s football divisions, which will remain at seven teams apiece.

He didn't say 15 teams was illogical - he said 16 was. He said 15 would lead to imbalanced divisions, which is currently prohibited. But with deregulation, it would no longer be prohibited. It could certainly be logical. As I say, if Notre Dame wanted to be #15, it would happen in a heartbeat, with or without a #16.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He didn't say 15 teams was illogical - he said 16 was. He said 15 would lead to imbalanced divisions, which is currently prohibited. But with deregulation, it would no longer be prohibited. It could certainly be logical. As I say, if Notre Dame wanted to be #15, it would happen in a heartbeat, with or without a #16.

Yes and 16 gives them 15 football teams. If ND wanted in it would take them 5 seconds to get a 16.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're not stupid....what happens to you when you post here?

Time to actually deal with reality and stop trying to parse the living s--- out of everything to make it fit your wishes and hopes.

Sword said adding another team is illogical.

He didn't mean in the context of a championship game or divisions or any other of the fairy-dust sprinkled scenarios you're trying to fashion.

No Notre Dame = no expansion.

Period.

pj

Reaction Score
You're not stupid....what happens to you when you post here?

Time to actually deal with reality and stop trying to parse the living s--- out of everything to make it fit your wishes and hopes.

Sword said adding another team is illogical.

He didn't mean in the context of a championship game or divisions or any other of the fairy-dust sprinkled scenarios you're trying to fashion.

No Notre Dame = no expansion.

Period.

I don't disagree with that. What I said is that IF Notre Dame, then expansion -- even if no attractive #16 is available. If ESPN would not pay up for a 16, the ACC would be happy to take Notre Dame and stay at 15.

Likewise, if a sufficiently attractive (read: income-enhancing) school were available, every conference would go to 15.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing: The Big Ten already committed to playing their conference schedule through 2019. Therefore, if they want to make a change they would change it beginning in the 2020 season. That's almost five years from now. Five years is a freaking long time in modern sports. They'd need to have data as to how the 9-game schedule with 14 teams (and two static divisions of 7 teams) would pan out. I don't think they could predetermine an answer right now since they have yet to start the 9-game schedule.

Reaction Score
The AAC being raided by the Big 12 is the most likely move in CR
The probability is that it will be one or two teams with UConn not one of them..
We are blackballed from the ACC and the B1G is a long shot.
is it over for us ?heck no.
If might take longer than some expect , maybe even too long for some of us.
I learned a long time ago stressing about things out of your control is a huge waste of time,
Unproductive ,and unhealthy.
Focus on the things in your control, and the overwhelming majority of time you will have a favorable outcome.i think for the most part the current adminstration is following
AZ's first law of wheel spinning.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Here's the thing: The Big Ten already committed to playing their conference schedule through 2019. Therefore, if they want to make a change they would change it beginning in the 2020 season. That's almost five years from now. Five years is a freaking long time in modern sports. They'd need to have data as to how the 9-game schedule with 14 teams (and two static divisions of 7 teams) would pan out. I don't think they could predetermine an answer right now since they have yet to start the 9-game schedule.

More teams equal more content. Schedules can be changed. Will they? Who knows for sure? If a team presents itself that will make the Big10 money, they will go for it.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious to find that quote. Under the current "championship game regulation", absolutely, 15 is "illogical". (Even though MAC has often had 13, and it has required -- and been granted -- a waiver by NCAA to have the odd number of teams and still have two divisions and a championship game).

If Swofford said 15 was illogical while arguing for CCG deregulation, I'll shut up. I am unaware of when and in what context he said that.

Swofford has been asked this at just about every press conference he's had in the past couple of years except for the one last week. The media was too busy asking him about the UNC academic scandal this time. The ACC's current thinking does not envision a league with membership past 16, and it doesn't want a football league at 15. So we are in limbo waiting on Notre Dame.

Should the ACC come to the conclusion that Notre Dame will never be coming, or if the ACC can envision a league of 20 members, then this could change. But there is no interest in a 15 member football league today. Now everyone does complain about the 14 team scheduling with the two divisions. If that becomes unbearable, then there is a third possibility to change the current thinking. But so far it's not unbearable.

Reaction Score
Don ‏@Don_304 15h15 hours ago
@expansion_crush There is just so many ppl w/ "sources". I've had a VERY short list I paid attention to. @theDudeofWV being one of them.

Daniel Mountcastle ‏@expansion_crush 15h15 hours ago
@Don_304 @theDudeofWV he gets lumped into a group where he doesn't belong. I have found his information to the closest to actual events

@expansion_crush @theDudeofWV It is so super easy to make a mistake, especially w/ everything constantly changing. Credibility is fragile.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 15h15 hours ago
@Don_304 @expansion_crush But I've tried to own up to my mistakes.

@theDudeofWV @Don_304 And you've always owned up to mistakes. The subject is a moving target. Harder than predicting Indiana weather.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 14h14 hours ago
@expansion_crush @Don_304 The major mistake I made was not listening to my WVU source when he told me the FSU deal was dead.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 15h15 hours ago
@expansion_crush @Don_304 I listened to others. I quickly leaned who I could trust & who I couldn't.

@expansion_crush @Don_304 My other mistake was assuming the B12-SEC bowl was a precursor to FSU leaving. In reality it was the end.

ME: Trying to keep the faithful believing. LOL

Reaction Score
There are always options. ACC could always add UCONN and Navy for just football. Problem solved. 16 programs all around. And it raises its academic stature in the process, if that were still a concern.

Reaction Score
@expansion_crush There is just so many ppl w/ "sources". I've had a VERY short list I paid attention to. @theDudeofWV being one of them.

@Don_304 @theDudeofWV he gets lumped into a group where he doesn't belong. I have found his information to the closest to actual events

@expansion_crush @theDudeofWV It is so super easy to make a mistake, especially w/ everything constantly changing. Credibility is fragile.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 15h15 hours ago
@Don_304 @expansion_crush But I've tried to own up to my mistakes.

@theDudeofWV @Don_304 And you've always owned up to mistakes. The subject is a moving target. Harder than predicting Indiana weather.

@expansion_crush @Don_304 The major mistake I made was not listening to my WVU source when he told me the FSU deal was dead.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 15h15 hours ago
@expansion_crush @Don_304 I listened to others. I quickly leaned who I could trust & who I couldn't.

@expansion_crush @Don_304 My other mistake was assuming the B12-SEC bowl was a precursor to FSU leaving. In reality it was the end.

ME: Trying to keep the faithful believing. LOL

The guy admitted last year to making stuff up to try to help destablize the ACC. Why anyone would believe anything he says after that confession of lying is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Swofford has been asked this at just about every press conference he's had in the past couple of years except for the one last week. The media was too busy asking him about the UNC academic scandal this time. The ACC's current thinking does not envision a league with membership past 16, and it doesn't want a football league at 15. So we are in limbo waiting on Notre Dame.

Should the ACC come to the conclusion that Notre Dame will never be coming, or if the ACC can envision a league of 20 members, then this could change. But there is no interest in a 15 member football league today. Now everyone does complain about the 14 team scheduling with the two divisions. If that becomes unbearable, then there is a third possibility to change the current thinking. But so far it's not unbearable.

The ACC should have come to that conclusion in 2012,

Reaction Score
There are always options. ACC could always add UCONN and Navy for just football. Problem solved. 16 programs all around. And it raises its academic stature in the process, if that were still a concern.
I like this idea with the Navy part on a term that ends when the Notre Dame scheduling ends in 2027. However, it's not apparent that the service academies want to keep up with the new cost of attendance plans of the P5. In that case substitute BYU for football only.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom