NFL Draft Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NFL Draft Thread

Reaction Score
Many gave A grades to round 1 to 3 for the Giants not sure we’ve seen that in a long time. Perfect fit DB, a sure shot center and the best deep threat available? I’d say good stuff by Schoen and Dabol. They gave Dabol the credit for figuring out a way to get Hyatt in the pick trade.

I miss Gettleman:rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Good picks. Folk can’t kickoff. Pats two punters were ranked last and next to last, and they were vastly worse than the next worst guy. i think they ranked last in average field position. What the defense did despite the kicking game and offense not getting 1st downs is amazing.

Reaction Score
Good picks. Folk can’t kickoff. Pats two punters were ranked last and next to last, and they were vastly worse than the next worst guy. i think they ranked last in average field position. What the defense did despite the kicking game and offense not getting 1st downs is amazing.
Ha, ok, sure. There is being a fan and then there is being delusional.

Fu7FtrtWYAAojAU.png

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ha, ok, sure. There is being a fan and then there is being delusional.

View attachment 87923
Who cares? They had 4 4th round picks and 4 6th round picks. The people setting the values are, to be kind, morons. Mel Kyper would be the worst GM in NFL history. And they get worse as the rounds go on. I'll trust the guy who signs more impact undrafted FAs than anybody else.

They rate Gonzalez at value? He was the steal of the entire draft.

Reaction Score
Who cares? They had 4 4th round picks and 4 6th round picks. The people setting the values are, to be kind, morons. Mel Kyper would be the worst GM in NFL history. And they get worse as the rounds go on. I'll trust the guy who signs more impact undrafted FAs than anybody else.

No, they rate Gonzalez as a steal. He's not gonna be on top of this chart because it's impossible to have a 100+ pick delta when you're a 1st round pick. Being +8 when you're picked 17th is very good value

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No, they rate Gonzalez as a steal. He's not gonna be on top of this chart because it's impossible to have a 100+ pick delta when you're a 1st round pick. Being +8 when you're picked 17th is very good value
I'm astonished by the Mapu ranking here then. He was considered by many observers to be a very underrated prospect that has a lot of potential to be better than his draft slot. I don't think these people scout the small school players worth a damn.

Reaction Score

Who cares you drafted a kicker in the 4th round when you could have got him in the 7th or as UDFA? Yet, you want to be happy about Gonzalez as a steal? You realize, as usual, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth?

Also, hate to break it to you but Gonzalez was NOT the steal of the draft. There is a reason he dropped a little lower than expected, when you are universally considered soft it is a huge red flag at the corner position.

Hey, the Pats have been just been killing drafts over the last 5 or so years, so no wonder you blindly trust these picks.........oh wait.........

Good summary of their draft:

New England Patriots
New England Patriots: B- Grade

Goals Entering the 2023 NFL Draft:
The Patriots are the worst team in the division, as they have many holes on their roster. This includes the receiving corps, linebacking corps, and secondary. Worst of all, however, are the quarterback and offensive line situations. There's talk that the Patriots will move Mac Jones. Either way, they'll need to radically bolster the blocking for whomever is under center next year.

2023 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Bill Belichick is more than willing to acquire third-round prospects in the opening frame, so everything was possible when New England came on the clock at No. 14 overall. The Patriots traded back a few spots, and then selected Christian Gonzalez at No. 17. This was a terrific pick, as Gonzalez was a top-10 prospect. He dropped because some teams soured on his lack of toughness, but he's still incredibly talented.

I loved the Patriots' initial two selections, as Keion White provided value as a skilled pass rusher in the middle of the second round. That, however, was the beginning of the end of the Patriots' positives. Belichick likely ran out of players he liked, so he began picking UDFA-type prospects as early as the third frame. Even worse, he traded up for a kicker in the fourth round!

When the Patriots went Gonzalez-White to start the draft, I never imagined that I wouldn't grade their overall class very favorably, but I'm left with no choice. New England squandered way too many selections following such a great start.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Who cares you drafted a kicker in the 4th round when you could have got him in the 7th or as UDFA? Yet, you want to be happy about Gonzalez as a steal? You realize, as usual, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth?

Also, hate to break it to you but Gonzalez was NOT the steal of the draft. There is a reason he dropped a little lower than expected, when you are universally considered soft it is a huge red flag at the corner position.

Hey, the Pats have been just been killing drafts over the last 5 or so years, so no wonder you blindly trust these picks.........oh wait.........

Good summary of their draft:

New England Patriots
New England Patriots: B- Grade

Goals Entering the 2023 NFL Draft:
The Patriots are the worst team in the division, as they have many holes on their roster. This includes the receiving corps, linebacking corps, and secondary. Worst of all, however, are the quarterback and offensive line situations. There's talk that the Patriots will move Mac Jones. Either way, they'll need to radically bolster the blocking for whomever is under center next year.

2023 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Bill Belichick is more than willing to acquire third-round prospects in the opening frame, so everything was possible when New England came on the clock at No. 14 overall. The Patriots traded back a few spots, and then selected Christian Gonzalez at No. 17. This was a terrific pick, as Gonzalez was a top-10 prospect. He dropped because some teams soured on his lack of toughness, but he's still incredibly talented.

I loved the Patriots' initial two selections, as Keion White provided value as a skilled pass rusher in the middle of the second round. That, however, was the beginning of the end of the Patriots' positives. Belichick likely ran out of players he liked, so he began picking UDFA-type prospects as early as the third frame. Even worse, he traded up for a kicker in the fourth round!

When the Patriots went Gonzalez-White to start the draft, I never imagined that I wouldn't grade their overall class very favorably, but I'm left with no choice. New England squandered way too many selections following such a great start.
They have been doing well in drafts the last few years (too early to tell for last year), so yeah, I trust them with most of it. Anything but WR early. Mondre was a great pick. Barmore was a steal. Uche was a solid pick. Dugger a very good pick. Onwenu spectacular. The TE were terrible. It's funny, the Pats got great analyst grades in 2019, which was a terrible draft other than Harris (who got a C grade). The analysts and expected draft position are nonsense.

Once you are past round 3, you should be drafting for need. They needed a kicker and a punter. Somebody else reached and took a K in the 3rd round, so with multiple 4th round picks they pulled the trigger. Fine. It was a must get. Got the best punter in the draft too.

The real issue is that this draft sucked. Not many good players. Several GMs said they had 12-15 guys with first round grades.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They have been doing well in drafts the last few years (too early to tell for last year), so yeah, I trust them with most of it. Anything but WR early. Mondre was a great pick. Barmore was a steal. Uche was a solid pick. Dugger a very good pick. Onwenu spectacular. The TE were terrible. It's funny, the Pats got great analyst grades in 2019, which was a terrible draft other than Harris (who got a C grade). The analysts and expected draft position are nonsense.

Once you are past round 3, you should be drafting for need. They needed a kicker and a punter. Somebody else reached and took a K in the 3rd round, so with multiple 4th round picks they pulled the trigger. Fine. It was a must get. Got the best punter in the draft too.

The real issue is that this draft sucked. Not many good players. Several GMs said they had 12-15 guys with first round grades.

If Walter Cherepinsky says so, it must be true. :rolleyes:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

So....knowing the patriots roster...if you were the GM you would do the same thing the Parriots did?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So....knowing the patriots roster...if you were the GM you would do the same thing the Parriots did?
I'm not arrogant enough to think I know anything about the guys beyond maybe round 3. The analysts don't either. Not really.

Round 1: perfect pick. At 14 it still would have been a great pick. Long, fast man coverage corner that doesn't gamble and instead just plays great defense.
Round 2: I would have considered an OT. White is a beast though, and prototype of what they like in an early down Edge. Think Vrabel. Holding the edge on running downs with a guy that can still rush the passer has been an issue.
Round 3: Mapu is really interesting, but seems redundant with Peppers, Phillips and to a lesser extent, Dugger. If they play him at ILB, then he'd not redundant at all, and is a potential upgrade on what they have.
Round 4: I don't get the Andrews pick, but then the Andrews playing C now is excellent and went undrafted. They will cut Ferentz. Ryland was a must get K after SF took Moody in the 3rd. Sow looked like an odd pick, now I see that they view him as a Tackle. Has the measurables. I sense Klemm's fingers on that one.
Round 5: Mafi looks like depth. Also has size.
Round 6: Boutte is a great gamble pick. Will either be much better than a 6th round pick or will wash out. Baringer great pick at a position of extreme need. Douglas is small and quick, worth a shot. Speed looks like a special teamer.
Roun 7: Bolden is a great pick. Size and elite speed. This is the replacement for Matthew Slater in my opinion. Perfect gunner on kick coverage. Could be more than that.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I'm not arrogant enough to think I know anything about the guys beyond maybe round 3. The analysts don't either. Not really.

Round 1: perfect pick. At 14 it still would have been a great pick. Long, fast man coverage corner that doesn't gamble and instead just plays great defense.
Round 2: I would have considered an OT. White is a beast though, and prototype of what they like in an early down Edge. Think Vrabel. Holding the edge on running downs with a guy that can still rush the passer has been an issue.
Round 3: Mapu is really interesting, but seems redundant with Peppers, Phillips and to a lesser extent, Dugger. If they play him at ILB, then he'd not redundant at all, and is a potential upgrade on what they have.
Round 4: I don't get the Andrews pick, but then the Andrews playing C now is excellent and went undrafted. They will cut Ferentz. Ryland was a must get K after SF took Moody in the 3rd. Sow looked like an odd pick, now I see that they view him as a Tackle. Has the measurables. I sense Klemm's fingers on that one.
Round 5: Mafi looks like depth. Also has size.
Round 6: Boutte is a great gamble pick. Will either be much better than a 6th round pick or will wash out. Baringer great pick at a position of extreme need. Douglas is small and quick, worth a shot. Speed looks like a special teamer.
Roun 7: Bolden is a great pick. Size and elite speed. This is the replacement for Matthew Slater in my opinion. Perfect gunner on kick coverage. Could be more than that.
More specifically....knowing the Patriots needs...would you have drafted a punter and kicker?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
More specifically....knowing the Patriots needs...would you have drafted a punter and kicker?
Of course. Punter was probably the biggest need on the team and Kicker wasn't far off. Folk can't kick off. When Bailey got hurt/failed we had nobody to kick off. It was a disaster.

Worst punt team in the league last year. Look at the stats. 2nd most yards surrendered on KO, and 3 TDs allowed. Nobody else allowed more than one. In fact, the Pats allowed 3 out 6 total in the league. 52 total kicks returned, 2nd most in the NFL despite having #10/11 scoring defense, because they couldn't get touchbacks.

They had 12 picks. I have no issue using a 4th and a 6th on two guys who will likely start for the next 4 years. That's great value. Had SF not taken a K in the 3rd, I think they'd have taken both in the 6th. But there were two Kickers in the draft, once one was gone....had to grab the other.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Of course. Punter was probably the biggest need on the team and Kicker wasn't far off. Folk can't kick off. When Bailey got hurt/failed we had nobody to kick off. It was a disaster.

Worst punt team in the league last year. Look at the stats. 2nd most yards surrendered on KO, and 3 TDs allowed. Nobody else allowed more than one. In fact, the Pats allowed 3 out 6 total in the league. 52 total kicks returned, 2nd most in the NFL despite having #10/11 scoring defense, because they couldn't get touchbacks.

They had 12 picks. I have no issue using a 4th and a 6th on two guys who will likely start for the next 4 years. That's great value. Had SF not taken a K in the 3rd, I think they'd have taken both in the 6th. But there were two Kickers in the draft, once one was gone....had to grab the other.
Ok...was just curious.

I am not a fan of using picks for K/P. Unless you are a very complete team that is putting on finishing touches.

Reaction Score

They used a 4th and 6th on the kicker as they traded up to get him.

Reaction Score
Ok...was just curious.

I am not a fan of using picks for K/P. Unless you are a very complete team that is putting on finishing touches.
Even then it's a waste of a pick. No kicker or punter is ever worth it

Reaction Score

That Liberty receiver could be a real steal, I remember seeing him against UConn. Mora needs to get receivers like him, short burners that get over looked in recruiting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Even then it's a waste of a pick. No kicker or punter is ever worth it
You're wrong. It's not fantasy football. You saw a kicker go in the 3rd round for a reason. Teams are realizing that they are very much worth it. A depth piece that may not make your roster is not more important than a guy who will start for 4-5 years. These are absolutely critical positions.

Reaction Score
You're wrong. It's not fantasy football. You saw a kicker go in the 3rd round for a reason. Teams are realizing that they are very much worth it. A depth piece that may not make your roster is not more important than a guy who will start for 4-5 years. These are absolutely critical positions.
No, it's not. It's really funny watching you twist yourself in circles trying to defend these picks though

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No, it's not. It's really funny watching you twist yourself in circles trying to defend these picks though
I guess it's a good thing you're not a 49er fan than. For the Pats, Punter was the biggest need on the team by far. Kicker was up there with CB. I believe in field position football.

Reaction Score
I guess it's a good thing you're not a 49er fan than. For the Pats, Punter was the biggest need on the team by far. Kicker was up there with CB. I believe in field position football.
Understood it was a big need, and they could have had useful pieces with those picks and then just signed any of the dozens of available kickers and punters that would have been upgrades over what they had last year. Especially when you're drafting a guy with a round 7/UDFA grade in round 4

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Understood it was a big need, and they could have had useful pieces with those picks and then just signed any of the dozens of available kickers and punters that would have been upgrades over what they had last year. Especially when you're drafting a guy with a round 7/UDFA grade in round 4
The grades are utter nonsense. He wasn't going to be there much later. Another kicker went after him. So obviously the grades were wrong and the clubs knew that the FA kickers and punters sucked. The Pats tried that when Bailey went on IR and got a punter who was (a) terrible and (b) not able to kick off. So the problem was twofold. If they keep Folk, the punter has to be able to kick off. None of the punters available can kick off, so you needed a new kicker.

People worrying about grades. This was a terrible draft class. Past round 3 there was nothing there except guys you're gambling on. They are scratch tickets you hope might pan out. The K and P are more sure bets than almost anybody else drafted in those rounds. So no, they couldn't have had useful pieces with those picks. Even the guys they took reflect the need to gamble. Mapu is a high upside gamble. Sow is a gamble that a kid with amazing OT measurables who was a G, can be converted to OT by Klemm. Andrews and Mafi are dart board throws. Boutte, great talent but a headcase, can they fix him? Douglas and Bolden are athletes you hope can contribute on ST and maybe develop.

Reaction Score
The grades are utter nonsense. He wasn't going to be there much later. Another kicker went after him. So obviously the grades were wrong and the clubs knew that the FA kickers and punters sucked. The Pats tried that when Bailey went on IR and got a punter who was (a) terrible and (b) not able to kick off. So the problem was twofold. If they keep Folk, the punter has to be able to kick off. None of the punters available can kick off, so you needed a new kicker.

People worrying about grades. This was a terrible draft class. Past round 3 there was nothing there except guys you're gambling on. They are scratch tickets you hope might pan out. The K and P are more sure bets than almost anybody else drafted in those rounds. So no, they couldn't have had useful pieces with those picks. Even the guys they took reflect the need to gamble. Mapu is a high upside gamble. Sow is a gamble that a kid with amazing OT measurables who was a G, can be converted to OT by Klemm. Andrews and Mafi are dart board throws. Boutte, great talent but a headcase, can they fix him? Douglas and Bolden are athletes you hope can contribute on ST and maybe develop.
Your takes are comical, this is a truly impressive level of coping. But congrats on getting a great kicker and punter then, the Pats are gonna need it while the other 3 teams run laps around them in the division the next few years

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Your takes are comical, this is a truly impressive level of coping. But congrats on getting a great kicker and punter then, the Pats are gonna need it while the other 3 teams run laps around them in the division the next few years
I feel the same about your takes. Not worried about it. Team doesn't need much. ST cost them 2-3 games last year. I expect a top 3 defense this year and an improved offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom