New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024 | Page 27 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers - March 2024

Reaction Score
I'd put Texas or UCONN over Southern Cal at this juncture, even if they land von Oelhoffen. USC feels a little like LSU this year, adding in a lot of pieces but developing chemistry is far from a given. And most importantly, being good on paper doesn't always translate, especially when trying to gel a lot of talent together. I think USC will be quite good and has potential but I'd put a well built Geno of Vic team ahead of them. Regardless though, it's a MASSIVE get for USC. Making the Final Four should absolutely be a goal/expectation this year.
I like USCs freshman class and I bet they pick up one more piece in the portal. I do think tvo fits as an ace perimeter defender and additional ball handler. They arguably have 2 of the top 5 players in the country. I think they should be right with UConn or slightly ahead of them. I think the thing about LSU is they were adding big pieces to a team that won a championship. Hind sight is 20/20 and they had a good year but LSU's acquisitions essentially played the same position as the stars that lead the team to the championship. If u remember Morrow even didn't start some games. USC on the contrary has three starters who graduated and need to be replaced. Now I do think they need shooting as Forbes and Padilla were able to space the floor in a way that kept defenses honest

Reaction Score
No guarantee Iriafen will be able to play at this past season's same level in 2024-25; she has yet to put together back-to-back elite seasons. Morrow has.
There's no guarantee that Morrow will play at Kiki's level in 2024-25 (she didn't do it in 2023-24). Morrow's "elite" seasons came against overmatched competition. When she faced SEC competition (size, strength, and speed), she had her struggles. Meanwhile, Kiki was dominant in a better conference. It helps being taller/longer and more athletic.

What Iriafen did at Stanford in that one year would, in my mind, surpass anything that Morrow has done against P5 competition.

Reaction Score
There's no guarantee that Morrow will play at Kiki's level in 2024-25 (she didn't do it in 2023-24). Morrow's "elite" seasons came against overmatched competition. When she faced SEC competition (size, strength, and speed), she had her struggles. Meanwhile, Kiki was dominant in a better conference. It helps being taller/longer and more athletic.

What Iriafen did at Stanford in that one year would, in my mind, surpass anything that Morrow has done against P5 competition.
Think you're splitting hairs here. Their season stats are fairly similar with the exception of FG%. Some could argue Iriafen's scoring average got a boost from her 41 point game against ISU.

There definitely are no guarantees as to how either player will do this upcoming season. Both will be dealing with a transition either with a new team or team mates. No one will know for sure until the 2024-2025 season is over as to who will have the better season.

Reaction Score
Think you're splitting hairs here. Their season stats are fairly similar with the exception of FG%. Some could argue Iriafen's scoring average got a boost from her 41 point game against ISU.

There definitely are no guarantees as to how either player will do this upcoming season. Both will be dealing with a transition either with a new team or team mates. No one will know for sure until the 2024-2025 season is over as to who will have the better season.
You can't make that "exception", as there's a pretty big difference in that stat between the two players. 46% is great for a guard but awful for a post. 54% is a good for a post. Advantage Kiki by a significant margin.

I would say that the rebounding numbers are similar, but the scoring averages and shooting % are not that similar. As I mentioned earlier, height and athleticism matter.

There are no guarantees--that part is true. However, Kiki is entering a conference that is not known for athletic post play while Morrow will have to navigate the SEC again while remaining a 6'1 undersized post. She won't have Angel to take the pressure off of her this time.

Reaction Score
You can't make that "exception", as there's a pretty big difference in that stat between the two players. 46% is great for a guard but awful for a post. 54% is a good for a post. Advantage Kiki by a significant margin.

I would say that the rebounding numbers are similar, but the scoring averages and shooting % are not that similar. As I mentioned earlier, height and athleticism matter.

There are no guarantees--that part is true. However, Kiki is entering a conference that is not known for athletic post play while Morrow will have to navigate the SEC again while remaining a 6'1 undersized post. She won't have Angel to take the pressure off of her this time.
If Iriafen didn't score 41 points, would her PPG for the season be at 19? That game provided a significant boost to the average or she'd likely would have been around 16 points like Morrow.

And I'm not sure how you're perceiving my use of the word "exception". As Iriafen's FG% is much higher in comparison to the rest of the numbers, it is the exception when comparing their stats.

Reaction Score
If Iriafen didn't score 41 points, would her PPG for the season be at 19? That game provided a significant boost to the average or she'd likely would have been around 16 points like Morrow.

And I'm not sure how you're perceiving my use of the word "exception". As Iriafen's FG% is much higher in comparison to the rest of the numbers, it is the exception when comparing their stats.
Do the math. Stanford played in 36 games this year. Iriafen's 41-point game likely added about a point to her overall average. So no, she would not have averaged 16 ppg like Morrow. She would've averaged more like 18 ppg, which is still higher than Morrow's average.

Now, what would Morrow's average look like had she not dropped 37 against UVA?

You cannot state that all numbers are the same except for FG% when FG% is a key factor (maybe the key factor) in comparing the offensive efficiency for two post players (and considering that the ppg average isn't really that close, either). If you compare two people and they have similar traits except that one is a billionaire while the other is dirt poor, are they really going to be seen as similar? Seems like that one identifier is significant enough to differentiate them by quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Do the math. Stanford played in 36 games this year. Iriafen's 41-point game likely added about a point to her overall average. So no, she would not have averaged 16 ppg like Morrow. She would've averaged more like 18 ppg, which is still higher than Morrow's average.

Now, what would Morrow's average look like had she not dropped 37 against UVA?

You cannot state that all numbers are the same except for FG% when FG% is a key factor (maybe the key factor) in comparing the offensive efficiency for two post players (and considering that the ppg average isn't really that close, either). If you compare two people and they have similar traits except that one is a billionaire while the other is dirt poor, are they really going to be seen as similar? Seems like that one identifier is significant enough to differentiate them by quite a bit.
I think it's a matter of how we're interpreting the word exception here. The FG% is a differentiator for sure and that's what I see as being the exception.

Reaction Score
I think it's a matter of how we're interpreting the word exception here. The FG% is a differentiator for sure and that's what I see as being the exception.
If Kiki's stats are all better and there's that much of a difference in FG%, then are the two players similar? That's my point--they did not have similar production. Kiki's stats were better. The FG% was not the exception. It proved the rule (that Kiki had superior stats).

I'll leave you to think about that, as this is my last post on the matter (I will not respond to any other posts on this topic on this thread). The thread does not need to be repurposed. It is a thread about new commitments, and that's where my focus will return from this point forward.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Similar to the TCU "drama" where it wasn't really confirmed until Hailey Van Lith posted it herself, perhaps there's a high profile transfer that is picking Utah?

Gardiner?

Reaction Score
Is May 1st the last day that current transfer portal players have to make their decision by?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not sure what this means....

I would think that there's a swerve happening "soon".
I'm still waiting on the UConn tweet from around the 13th. (I am assuming it wasn't about Kaitlyn.)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
When is the last day player's can commit to a new school?

Reaction Score
I would think that there's a swerve happening "soon".
I'm still waiting on the UConn tweet from around the 13th. (I am assuming it wasn't about Kaitlyn.)

It was about her. Skim retweeted it saying Kaitlyn you are a husky

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom