New Hockey Arena | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Hockey Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Okielite is an interesting bird. For whatever reason, he has an irrational hatred of all things UCONN and will use any metric possible, no matter how irrelevant (ex - 2013 football attendance) to illustrate how small time UCONN is. He won't accept any argument/opinion that is a positive for UCONN so there is no use in trying. My best advice is to put him on ignore or F with him. I chose the latter right before he got the boot from our site and in pulling up a couple of quick Google searches about Oklahoma State, discovered that his program is not that much different than ours despite their longer history. Ok St is absolutely one of the grandfathered P5 schools that should thank their T Boone Pickens stars that the Big East was the conference that was raided and crushed, not the Big 12.

His favorite arguments:
1. UCONN plays in a small stadium: Boone Pickens Stadium's current capacity of ~ 60K is only 6 years old. Former capacity was 40-50K prior to 2008. Okielite would not / can not understand that Rentschler Field was designed and built (footings are already installed) to easily and quickly accommodate an expansion to the same 60K that Boone Pickens Stadium seats.

2. 2013 football attendance = nobody cares about UCONN football. Yet, we had 6500 at our Spring Game and Ok St cancelled their Spring Game because of lack of interest. Okielite would not / could not understand that attendance lags ANYWHERE when you lose your first 9 games of a season and have Paul Pasqualoni as a coach. Take a glance over at Louisville attendance figures during Steve Kragthorpe's era.

3. Oklahoma State has more National Championships than UCONN. This is true. Ok St has 51. Here they are:
Total – 51
  • Baseball – 1 (1959)
  • Basketball – 2 (1945–46)
  • Cross Country – 4 (1954, 2009–10, 2012)
  • Golf – 10 (1963, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1995, 2000, 2006)
  • Wrestling – 34 (1928–31, 1933–35, 1937–42, 1946, 1948–49, 1954–56, 1958–59, 1961–62, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1971, 1989–90, 1994, 2003–06)
Notice that not a single one is in football, the sport that is supposedly head and shoulders above UCONN and only 2 in basketball pre-Civil Rights. There are also not many titles in most of our lifetimes. If it weren't for the Cowboys' wrestling program in the 20s through 60s, then UCONN is the superior athletic department with MUCH more recent National titles (in sports that generate revenue).

4. UCONN has 1 BCS appearance and it was a 4-loss team that didn't deserve to be there. Before we could even discuss the merits on which a young (less than 10 year old) football program could rise so fast to appear in a BCS game...a feat that several grandfathered P5 schools who have NEVER been to a BCS game would kill for...he would not / could not accept it as an accomplishment of a young program and discredited it because of a weak conference. I understand that the Big East perception was poor that year and in general. But UCONN did no worse in their BCS appearance than many other schools have done over the years, including attendance wise, but UCONN has been the national whipping boy for what was wrong with the old system. That game was 34-20 with 9 minutes to go in the game. A far cry from the blowouts from the get-go that we have seen in other BCS games. And yes, UCONN's young football program has just as many BCS appearances as Oklahoma State.

5. UCONN is not AAU. While true, whenever we tried to engage in an academic side-by-side between UCONN and Oklahoma State, the differences are staggering. OSU is not AAU either, is ranked at #142 undergrad and has an acceptance rate on par with lowly Louisville (over 70%). And while UCONN is pouring BILLIONS into expanding research and faculty, in a time when everyone else is cutting budgets, he would not / could not accept the fact that UCONN is a far superior academic school to Oklahoma State.

6. Markets. UCONN has presence in NYC, Boston and our own Hartford/New Haven DMA. Ok St plays second fiddle within their own state to OU. They play third fiddle if you want to throw Texas into the mix. He could not / would not comprehend that northeast markets are far more densely populated than anything in Oklahoma.

7. Income. I think this was the argument that made him hate UCONN. CR is all about what? Making money, right? Well, if you are a business like a P5 conference, where are you going to look to expand into: a part of the country that has money or a part of the country that does not? Seems like a simple thing to comprehend. I think he mistakes this fact as arrogance. That's his own insecurity. UCONN fans not only support their school, they do it by paying top dollar (like we paid to get tickets at the MSG Regional Finals this past spring). Again, if I'm a business like a P5 conference trying to make more money, it's simply silly to not accept this as a positive in UCONN's favor.

I've wasted enough time on Okielite. If he wants to go on a national crusade against UCONN, so be it. The fact that he himself has chosen to crusade so passionately against UCONN is an ironic twist to UCONN "not belonging". I'd be curious how many anti-Tulsa, anti-Cincinnati, or anti-Tulane posts he makes a year. The truth is that Ok State is in a P5 conference because they are grandfathered in one and Texas hasn't decided to blow it up yet. If I was a fan of Ok State or any other grandfathered program, I'd just be thankful and move on. But that's not enough for our lil' trolling buddy.

pj

Reaction Score
Someone on that board posted that OkieLite is the father of a former UConn football player who didn't make it at UConn and transferred to another school. I have no idea if that is true.

Pure speculation, and the person there didn't say "is" they only threw out a wild guess as chum.

The only thing that gives it credibility is (a) Lagow's dad liked to converse on message boards, and (b) Lagow himself seems a little down, https://twitter.com/RichardLagow/status/480904489952501760 and https://twitter.com/RichardLagow/status/483843131805138944. Maybe things haven't worked out as well as hoped at Okie State and there is a little sour grapes that things didn't work out at UConn.

On the other side, Lagow was rooting for UConn in the NCAAs: https://twitter.com/RichardLagow/status/453330510337429504. If he's not bitter why would his Dad be?

I liked Lagow and wish him well. If he had stayed at UConn he might have found life under Diaco much more to his liking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog