New Hockey Arena | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Hockey Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Butch,
I agree that Freitas is pretty quiet. though I've been there a coupleo f times when for whatever reason it rocked. It was rare, though. I think it is largely because UConn fans don't really know how to be hockey fans yet. Even when the band is there, they are a basketball band at a hockey game. they need to be a little less polished if they are going to be a hockey band.

We went to a game when my grandson was in the UCMB and the pep band was there. They used to be situated by the goal. But harassed the goalie so badly that he threw a water bottle so the pep and was moved. Sadly.

Reaction Score
Dayooper,
I could be wrong but I doubt the big 10 is adding UConn for hockey. For what its worth the Huskies haven't been very good. The played in the mid-major Atlantic Hockey and its predecessor the MAAC conference for their D1 history. They have only recently begun offering scholarships, which really held the program back. But new coach in Cavannaugh who was the Assistant head Coach at BC, new conference, and a new area and a new commitment to the program. I'd put us as about equal to Penn State right now, so a way to go before we're a serious competitor, but UConn will be dangerous, and given our history including multiple titles in a pretty diverse range of sports from field hockey to soccer to obviously basketball, I think it is a reasonable bet that we will get there eventually. As far as who you might add as affiliates, forget Cornell. they are Ivy and no Ivy League school will go anywhere without all Ivy league schools. Besides, they like being in the ECAC. Good hockey (3 national finalists in 2 years with 2 championships) generally like minded institutions (Union, Colgate, are sort of ivy lite for example). And forget Providence as well. They are totally a mis-match for the Big. Schnieder is one of the smallest arenas in Hockey East. If I were seriously looking at Hockey only members from the northeast, and frankly I doubt the Big is, you would have to approach BC and BU followed by New Hampshire, then Maine. Not asking BC would be like assembling a new Big 10 and not asking Michigan and Ohio State to be part of it. they are THE national power and have been for 20 years. Why would you take Providence and not Boston College? That would be like taking Ohio and not Ohio State for your football league.

Reaction Score
We went to a game when my grandson was in the UCMB and the pep band was there. They used to be situated by the goal. But harassed the goalie so badly that he threw a water bottle so the pep and was moved. Sadly.
That is what they SHOULD be doing! I don't know who the goalie was, but I hope he didn't ever have to play at Maine! They harass their own goalie up there!

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Dayooper,
I could be wrong but I doubt the big 10 is adding UConn for hockey. For what its worth the Huskies haven't been very good. The played in the mid-major Atlantic Hockey and its predecessor the MAAC conference for their D1 history. They have only recently begun offering scholarships, which really held the program back. But new coach in Cavannaugh who was the Assistant head Coach at BC, new conference, and a new area and a new commitment to the program. I'd put us as about equal to Penn State right now, so a way to go before we're a serious competitor, but UConn will be dangerous, and given our history including multiple titles in a pretty diverse range of sports from field hockey to soccer to obviously basketball, I think it is a reasonable bet that we will get there eventually. As far as who you might add as affiliates, forget Cornell. they are Ivy and no Ivy League school will go anywhere without all Ivy league schools. Besides, they like being in the ECAC. Good hockey (3 national finalists in 2 years with 2 championships) generally like minded institutions (Union, Colgate, are sort of ivy lite for example). And forget Providence as well. They are totally a mis-match for the Big. Schnieder is one of the smallest arenas in Hockey East. If I were seriously looking at Hockey only members from the northeast, and frankly I doubt the Big is, you would have to approach BC and BU followed by New Hampshire, then Maine. Not asking BC would be like assembling a new Big 10 and not asking Michigan and Ohio State to be part of it. they are THE national power and have been for 20 years. Why would you take Providence and not Boston College? That would be like taking Ohio and not Ohio State for your football league.

Of course they aren't. They would be taking UConn for the NYC/NE market and basketball. It would be absurd to think otherwise. I was commenting on the post I quoted saying that UConn was to be added in full with another affiliate member in Hockey.

While BC would be a tremendous addition to Big10 Hockey, they don't follow what The Big10 did with affiliate member Johns Hopkins. Johns Hopkins is AAU and a traditional lacrosse powerhouse. Lacrosse is the only sports they are D1. While Boston U is D1, they play the rest of their sports in the Patriot League, a league that's akin to the Ivy (they only started giving select athletic scholarships in 1998). Boston U is AAU and was the most recent school added. BC is a great school, but doesn't fit with the research based Big10 institutions. I understand most of us could care less about things like that, myself included. I believe the Big10 does, and that's what counts.

Reaction Score
I'd guess BU if there is an ounce of truth to any of this.

They are AAU.
0% chance BU leaves Hockey East without BC to become a hockey only member of the B1G. If both BU and BC were invited, it'd be a possibility, but with UConn, it would 100% not happen.

Reaction Score
Of course they aren't. They would be taking UConn for the NYC/NE market and basketball. It would be absurd to think otherwise. I was commenting on the post I quoted saying that UConn was to be added in full with another affiliate member in Hockey.

While BC would be a tremendous addition to Big10 Hockey, they don't follow what The Big10 did with affiliate member Johns Hopkins. Johns Hopkins is AAU and a traditional lacrosse powerhouse. Lacrosse is the only sports they are D1. While Boston U is D1, they play the rest of their sports in the Patriot League, a league that's akin to the Ivy (they only started giving select athletic scholarships in 1998). Boston U is AAU and was the most recent school added. BC is a great school, but doesn't fit with the research based Big10 institutions. I understand most of us could care less about things like that, myself included. I believe the Big10 does, and that's what counts.
BC is a terrible terrible place let by hypocrites and liars. You want nothing to do with them.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the state also have plans to build a new soccer stadium and baseball stadium on campus as well? Does anyone know where the non-football and basketball athletes train- is it still below the student rec facility? I'm sure they're allowed to use the football and new bball facilities right? The tennis teams get the biggest snub over there- they play far away in the middle of no where leading up to charter oak apts.

FYI- Mike Olt another HR tonight

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Doesn't the state also have plans to build a new soccer stadium and baseball stadium on campus as well? Does anyone know where the non-football and basketball athletes train- is it still below the student rec facility? I'm sure they're allowed to use the football and new bball facilities right? The tennis teams get the biggest snub over there- they play far away in the middle of no where leading up to charter oak apts.

Volleyball and occasionally m/w basketball practiced in the rec center, which would close from 2-6 every day to accommodate practices

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So many of their rivals are within a cab ride
Doesn't the state also have plans to build a new soccer stadium and baseball stadium on campus as well?t

Not the state, but the school.

They were bumped back a spot by the need for a hockey building.

Reaction Score

I'm willing to bet baseball feels a little bit of angst over DIII ECSU playing in a nicer newer bigger (in stature, J.O. I believe seats a few hundred more because of bleachers) stadium down the road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

While Football has priority, I do believe that the soccer team also has access to it if absolutely necessary (I do not believe that the field is lined for soccer though). Outside, the soccer practice facilities are behind the current soccer stadium. I believe the soccer offices are still in the Rec Center. The proposed master plan moves the soccer stadium, which will include offices and team rooms for both men & women, across the street to where the old field hockey field was next to the softball field and the swaps practice field locations with football with soccer going on top of hilltop and football to where the soccer practice fields and stadium are. Baseball is supposed to be expanded at the same location. The softball field gets overrun by baseball and soccer and thus moves to a space in between the basketball practice center and the Sherman track complex. Track, field hockey, swimming (assuming Gampel is not expanded and needs space), and volleyball (assuming Gampel is not converted in some form) stay in place. I do not even know where tennis was moved to. Women’s lacrosse (and dreaming again about men’s lax) will use whatever the soccer team has. Crew is off-campus on Lake Coventry. The big question is where the hockey arena (or in my dreams a 12K basketball/hockey dual arena) goes.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
While Football has priority, I do believe that the soccer team also has access to it if absolutely necessary (I do not believe that the field is lined for soccer though). Outside, the soccer practice facilities are behind the current soccer stadium. I believe the soccer offices are still in the Rec Center. The proposed master plan moves the soccer stadium, which will include offices and team rooms for both men & women, across the street to where the old field hockey field was next to the softball field and the swaps practice field locations with football with soccer going on top of hilltop and football to where the soccer practice fields and stadium are. Baseball is supposed to be expanded at the same location. The softball field gets overrun by baseball and soccer and thus moves to a space in between the basketball practice center and the Sherman track complex. Track, field hockey, swimming (assuming Gampel is not expanded and needs space), and volleyball (assuming Gampel is not converted in some form) stay in place. I do not even know where tennis was moved to. Women’s lacrosse (and dreaming again about men’s lax) will use whatever the soccer team has. Crew is off-campus on Lake Coventry. The big question is where the hockey arena (or in my dreams a 12K basketball/hockey dual arena) goes.

I can tell you for soccer (I played on the practice squad for about 2 or 3 weeks post-season when they needed some extra players with a lot of graduating seniors and brought in a few of the Club Soccer team players).... They practiced in Shenkman on the indoor field and used the therapy (hot tub, taping, etc.) in Burton. Can't comment on gym (I know they used to go under Gampel but that was pre-Burton time).

Reaction Score
Latest I have heard is arena site may be where Field House is. Since they are building a new rec center this would be a good choice for the arena.

I do not believe that the new Rec Center will have a competition level track & field, which is a need on campus. Plus, I believe the Field House also has offices, team room lockers, and the indoor rowing center (erg) for the women's crew team.

Reaction Score
I do not believe that the new Rec Center will have a competition level track & field, which is a need on campus. Plus, I believe the Field House also has offices, team room lockers, and the indoor rowing center (erg) for the women's crew team.
I got this info from a friend of mine who works in public safety on campus.

Reaction Score
I got this info from a friend of mine who works in public safety on campus.

It is a great location, no doubt, just saying that if it went there, UConn would have to address losing those facilities. Plus, a campus with 25K students could easily fully book both the Fieldhouse and Rec center fields in the winter for collegiate and intermural athletics.

Reaction Score
I was interested in this topic, so I ventured over to your Scout Board to see if there was any info on it over there. To my amazement Okie Lite is still there, and still harassing the shitt out of UCONN Fans, namely WNEC. It is truly something to behold. The whole board is like a giant pm exchange between two mental patients. I have no idea how he has not been banned over there, but then again he is like the only poster so...

Reaction Score
In case you missed it over there, I asked @okielite why he continues to pester UConn and he responded under another alias @RoadHunter :rolleyes:. So, he's probably among us over here :cool:.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2873&t=12609154&p=1

LOL. You and I discussed this exact exchange a few weeks back on this very board. I had not been back to The Scout Site since. I can not believe that he is still over there running down UCONN. Seriously WTF does he get out of it? I was tempted to ask him myself, but that would just be giving him the attention that he craves. UCONN and Ok State rarely meet in any sport, so why he cares about UCONN is beyond my comprehension. I could only imagine how his rhetoric would ramp up if UCONN ever joined the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Is WNEC HFD's screen name on the Scout board?

Reaction Score
LOL. You and I discussed this exact exchange a few weeks back on this very board. I had not been back to The Scout Site since. I can not believe that he is still over there running down UCONN. Seriously WTF does he get out of it? I was tempted to ask him myself, but that would just be giving him the attention that he craves. UCONN and Ok State rarely meet in any sport, so why he cares about UCONN is beyond my comprehension. I could only imagine how his rhetoric would ramp up if UCONN ever joined the Big 12.

Someone on that board posted that OkieLite is the father of a former UConn football player who didn't make it at UConn and transferred to another school. I have no idea if that is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom