New Hockey Arena | The Boneyard

New Hockey Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have a thread in this on the hockey blog- not really related to CR.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the rumor is the final drawings showed a B1G logo on the ice.... well, that's the rumor I'm choosing to start anyways.
Time to get this on Twtter...where's the fish of West Virginia when you need him?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
What are the chances this will support basketball too?

Reaction Score
This was HFD's take on it last August (he posted this on the CSNbbs). His timing was off.:

"My friend, who connected me to this site, has egged me on to give proof of what I said last week to be true of Big Ten and the University of Connecticut now in the process of having advanced talks with the growing possibility of the University of Connecticut receiving an invite to the Big Ten in the date range of February, March of 2014. I’m pretty sure I have found a way to give proof to the readers of this site without making myself more exposed.

In the next month, in 4 weeks, you will hear public statements out of the President’s office, not just out of the Athletic Department, which will describe advanced financial plans of the University of Connecticut building a new On-Campus Ice Arena for the Men’s and Women’s University of Connecticut Hockey teams.

The University of Connecticut is working off of Big Ten instructions on how to maximize their value to gain entrance into the Big Ten conference. The Big Ten Hockey league currently has 6 teams and will be played on BTN starting this October. There will be double headers played every Friday night during the winter season. The Big Ten Hockey league is projected to be very profitable and the University of Connecticut can add value to this new league. The University of Connecticut Women’s Hockey Team, and the University of Connecticut commitment to this program, has added tremendous value to the University of Connecticut brand in front of the eyes of Big Ten officials, especially to the University of Minnesota, which is a very important step in this process. The Big Ten, besides adding the University of Connecticut in all sports, is interested in adding another partial member for “Hockey Only” from Hockey East to create an 8 team Big Ten Hockey League. These 2 new additions, University of Connecticut, plus a "Hockey Only" university, will add much needed content and value to the BTN network.
The University of Connecticut is working on adding value to their brand, working on items within their control, and is showing a commitment of growth to the Big Ten.

To answer the question of where is the proof, you will have it in new public statements in regards to advance financial plan in the building of a new On-Campus Ice Arena for the Men’s and Women’s University of Connecticut hockey teams. This investment is secured, and is now seen as a vital investment for the University of Connecticut going forward. "

Reaction Score
Beyond the potential future UCONN addition for all B1G sports, which schools would be a possible hockey-only school candidate?

Reaction Score
Well this shows one thing, UConn is not just taking it on the chin and going quietly into the night regarding where conference realignment has left us. Its full speed ahead on making this a well rounded athletic program that would be attractive to conferences should any future shifts occur.

Reaction Score
Why would BU leave Hockey East?

$ I guess....but I'm only really playing along in this fantasy. I looked at it from the B1G's angle of who they would want. Other than $ I can't imagine BU would have any incentive to leave the best hockey league in the country.

Reaction Score
$ I guess....but I'm only really playing along in this fantasy. I looked at it from the B1G's angle of who they would want. Other than $ I can't imagine BU would have any incentive to leave the best hockey league in the country.

Two words can debunk this.

Travel.

Expenses.

Reaction Score
Two words can debunk this.

Travel.

Expenses.
True. I had considered the possibility to be similiar to James Madison lacrosse affiliation, until I looked at the difference in teams between the B1G hockey and B1G lacrosse.

JMU is going to UMD, RU, PSU, OSU, and Michigan, and not Minny, Wisconsin as a hockey affiliate would.

EDIT: Woops...I meant Johns Hopkins...thanks Butch

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if ND joined as hockey only? Travel makes sense and I thought I saw somewhere that many HE members weren't too thrilled with ND.

Reaction Score
JHU. Just refreshing memory. ;)

I look forward to the design of the new arena. At Freitas, I've never seen a quieter hockey crowd. That has to change.

Reaction Score
JHU. Just refreshing memory. ;)

I look forward to the design of the new arena. At Freitas, I've never seen a quieter hockey crowd. That has to change.
Butch,
I agree that Freitas is pretty quiet. though I've been there a coupleo f times when for whatever reason it rocked. It was rare, though. I think it is largely because UConn fans don't really know how to be hockey fans yet. Even when the band is there, they are a basketball band at a hockey game. they need to be a little less polished if they are going to be a hockey band.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying I don't believe you, Jo, but isn't there a little to much punctuation and capitalization for this to be HFD? Not only that, but it's done, more or less, properly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not saying I don't believe you, Jo, but isn't there a little to much punctuation and capitalization for this to by HFD? Not only that, but it's done, more or less, properly.

I agree, I remember seeing this. I don't recall linking this to h f d.

Reaction Score
Butch,
I agree that Freitas is pretty quiet. though I've been there a coupleo f times when for whatever reason it rocked. It was rare, though. I think it is largely because UConn fans don't really know how to be hockey fans yet. Even when the band is there, they are a basketball band at a hockey game. they need to be a little less polished if they are going to be a hockey band.
Yale and Quinnipiac have great crowds. I think it's just a matter of affiliation. The AHA was to UConn hockey what the AAC is to the rest of UConn athletics. For many, unfortunately, college "brands" matter. I was probably the loudest person in our last game in the AHA, the playoff loss against Robert Morris. Cavanaugh seemed amused. I still have the freaking ticket stub.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if ND joined as hockey only? Travel makes sense and I thought I saw somewhere that many HE members weren't too thrilled with ND.
I don't think there is any interest on either side for Notre Dame to join the Big as a hockey affiliate. Maybe when the Big was being formed, but not any more. As to their Hockey East role, my impression is that most HEA members are at least resigned to it, and many are satisfied and a few are even happy about it. Hard to believe that some people wouldn't be thrilled with having the Fighting Egos (oops, Irish) in their league.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying I don't believe you, Jo, but isn't there a little to much punctuation and capitalization for this to be HFD? Not only that, but it's done, more or less, properly.

Thanks. You may be right. I should not have said it was HFD, although I always thought it was. It was posted on the CSNbbs by someone called Tennessee Tuxedo. It was his first post and after a couple of posts, I don’t think he ever posted again. I always thought it was HFD because it sounded like one of his long-winded scenarios. Here is his post:

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=642686&page=53

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
This was HFD's take on it last August (he posted this on the CSNbbs). His timing was off.:

"My friend, who connected me to this site, has egged me on to give proof of what I said last week to be true of Big Ten and the University of Connecticut now in the process of having advanced talks with the growing possibility of the University of Connecticut receiving an invite to the Big Ten in the date range of February, March of 2014. I’m pretty sure I have found a way to give proof to the readers of this site without making myself more exposed.

In the next month, in 4 weeks, you will hear public statements out of the President’s office, not just out of the Athletic Department, which will describe advanced financial plans of the University of Connecticut building a new On-Campus Ice Arena for the Men’s and Women’s University of Connecticut Hockey teams.

The University of Connecticut is working off of Big Ten instructions on how to maximize their value to gain entrance into the Big Ten conference. The Big Ten Hockey league currently has 6 teams and will be played on BTN starting this October. There will be double headers played every Friday night during the winter season. The Big Ten Hockey league is projected to be very profitable and the University of Connecticut can add value to this new league. The University of Connecticut Women’s Hockey Team, and the University of Connecticut commitment to this program, has added tremendous value to the University of Connecticut brand in front of the eyes of Big Ten officials, especially to the University of Minnesota, which is a very important step in this process. The Big Ten, besides adding the University of Connecticut in all sports, is interested in adding another partial member for “Hockey Only” from Hockey East to create an 8 team Big Ten Hockey League. These 2 new additions, University of Connecticut, plus a "Hockey Only" university, will add much needed content and value to the BTN network.
The University of Connecticut is working on adding value to their brand, working on items within their control, and is showing a commitment of growth to the Big Ten.

To answer the question of where is the proof, you will have it in new public statements in regards to advance financial plan in the building of a new On-Campus Ice Arena for the Men’s and Women’s University of Connecticut hockey teams. This investment is secured, and is now seen as a vital investment for the University of Connecticut going forward. "

Let's assume this is correct (I have gathered that HFD has a very "interesting" history here and am not taking what he says at face value). I have various things running through my mind.

My thoughts:

1. My assumption is that The NE is a big college hockey area. I played football at Northern Michigan University and the only only sport that was/is D1 is Hockey (we were D2 in football). I heard much about New England/Northeast hockey during my time there and NMU did just win a Frozen Four in '91 (beating Boston U). Could college hockey help with The BTN in Boston and other parts of New England?

2. How good is UConn's hockey program? There are so many teams out East that I haven't really heard much of them. Out here in Michigan, we hear of BU, BC and Maine to go along with our midwestern powers. I know there are others (I remember hating Denver University and Colorado College out West during my time in Marquette) and a quick glance at the championship games shows teams like RPI, Quinnepiac, New Hampshire, and several Ivy schools from out East. How does UConn fare against the other NE programs?

3. Other programs considered? If we are playing this HFD game right, travel costs will be taken care of. The Big10 is already giving the other Big10 hockey schools an additional $2 million for supplying the additional content. My guess is that whomever would be brought in would receive something similar.

1. Boston U - They would be my first choice: AAU, prominent program in a large market with a huge enrollment (around 30,000), and an already large arena (6,200). Would they bring in the Boston market by themselves? No, not a chance. With UConn? Maybe.
  2. Cornell - Not as winning of a program and doesn't even come close to to doing anything in the NYC/New England market, but would be a link for The CiC into The Ivy Schools. They are one of those rare public/private schools and are the only Ivy that's a land grant (who knows if that's important, it wasn't for Johns Hopkins). They have a very large enrollment, but are out in the middle of no where (Ithica NY). AAU, of course.
  3. Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth - Doubt it, but who knows
  4. Denver University - Good program that would add a pretty decent lacrosse team as well. Not AAU, but a very well respected school. Not NE, but who knows?
  5. Providence - See below
My guess is, if it's true they take another NE hockey affiliate, the BTN wants more than NYC, they want all if NE. I would think that there would be more moves to come. I'm going to make a fool of myself here, but I have a nice, long commute where I think a lot, so here goes: The BTN is rumored to want multiple channels. Would they have enough quality live content to do so? What if The BTN went with the rumored multiple channels (BTN2, BTN8, The Ocho or whatever) and partnered with other conferences?

There's one in particular I'm thinking of: The Big East *dodges wrenches being thrown*. It would cost virtually nothing as Fox already own's their TV rights. They could broadcast teams that the new BTN markets might watch: NYC (St. Johns, Seton Hall), in DC (Georgetown) and Philly (Villinova). Maybe, combined with UConn and Boston U hockey, it might help with the NYC-Boston corridor. Throw in Providence and it just might get the job done.

The added content from the premiere non football playing BB conference would add some more quality programming to the network. With well known basketball schools like St. Johns, DePaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, and Georgetown, the name brands alone would help with advertising. There's nothing like live broadcasts to make a sports network go and this would help. The Big East plays baseball, soccer, and lacrosse to go along with basketball. They are already partnering with The Big10 in a basketball challenge so the communication is already there. Why would The Big East want to to this? Exposure. Getting their brands broadcasted on games they normally wouldn't would be huge.

Questions abound, I know. First and foe most, and I crazy? (My wife often thinks I am). Would The Big10 schools want another conference in on their branding? Would The Big East demand a piece of the BTN fees? How would Big10 teams like PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Nebraska, and, if invited, UConn feel about having another school in their market shown on The BTN to compete with? Would it really help the BTN? Does The BTN really want 2 channels?

Go ahead, rip me apart.

Reaction Score
Why would BU leave Hockey East?

BU shares one thing with UConn, hatred for BC. Thus, it could be an interesting fit; but, unlike Johns Hopkins, who only D1 sports are lacrosse, BU has D1 sports in everything except for football. Not sure how that would fit.

Reaction Score
Adding 2 hockey teams to a top league AND building a new on campus arena really really is not a very smart thing to do if you think your school only has a 50/50 shot of landing in a P5 conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom