ND Not Interested in Playing UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ND Not Interested in Playing UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The end result is good news but I wouldn't call this a glitch. It's one thing to say we're waiting to hear from ND on a game starting next year and quite another to say publicly that we heard from ND and they said no which is what Corum said. This is very strange. I'm sure Carl Adamec, who relied on Corum's statements for his reporting, finds it strange as well.
Carl's latest blog... He doesn't take a position.

LINK

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A case of World Class phone tag between the two schools.

Reaction Score
the only way his statement can be read is that ND wants to renew the rivalry. he's quite emphatic. i expect the rivalry will be renewed unless...

JS

Reaction Score
Sounds like the wrong people were involved in the attempted discussion. "The coach responsible" for ND's scheduling left a message for someone that coach regarded as UConn's "scheduling administrator." Doesn't say a message for Deb Corum ("senior administrator"). If it was, she seems to have missed it.

She in turn talked with someone at Notre Dame, unidentified. Apparently not the "coach responsible" who left the message expressing interest. Maybe someone who said "I don't know of any interest here in playing in the near future." Which could've been true. The person didn't know.

The timing is unclear, too. The message from ND was purportedly left a week before Ms. Corum's statement appeared in the press. It's unclear, however, when she talked to whomever. Maybe even before the message was left.

My takeaway is that Ms. Corum should've been real sure she'd talked to the right person at ND, and real sure of what that person was saying, before she went public. Although it could've been a two-sided mix-up, seems to me she's the primary one with some 'splainin' to do.

And yeah, looks like there's no reason things can't get back on track. Which is good.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Is it possible for Geno and Muffet to talk?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think there's something to this cynical theory. I've been reluctant to give in to my cynical voice but I'm at least willing to listen to it. Remember McCallie's comment about renewing the series with UConn: "We have to look into it," McCallie said. "I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with the conference UConn is now in. It's a new time now. But we are always interested in playing the best. We are interested, but let's let the season go through so we can see what eventually happens with all these new conferences."

I hope those who cover the game are paying attention.
I believe your Cynical Voice is correct on this one unfortunately. The other top teams, especially in the ACC, now figure the way to bring down the Giant UConn is to starve the beast- pulling a George Washington and avoiding the battle. Hoping that the lack of access to the other great programs, and our being in the AAC, will help end the UConn dynasty, by slowing down our recruiting by our lack of high competition, and nationally televised games that goes with this. I think this backfired on Tenn, breaking off our games, but if enough programs decide to boycott us in essence- this could become a problem until we land in or develop a better quality conference schedule. The sooner we lock up future games with maybe many of the following teams like Kentucky, Louisville, Texas, Baylor, Penn State, MD, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Stamford, and maybe we move away from the ACC if this appears to be their stance. Locking in competitive teams in the future all over the country helps those teams recruit better and will only help their programs more- i would think!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My takeaway is that Ms. Corum should've been real sure she'd talked to the right person at ND, and real sure of what that person was saying, before she went public. Although it could've been a two-sided mix-up, seems to me she's the primary one with some 'splainin' to do.

I agree. I'm sure Carl Adamec will be first in line asking for an explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Why are some taking the position that the UConn representative didn't contact the right person at ND? Surely both schools know who the correct contact is to schedule a game. IMHO what has happened is that someone at ND expressed an opinion to Geno and others at UConn we're no longer interested in scheduling UConn. This has been known before ND made the alleged phone call. Its not in UConn's interest to make known to the media that ND doesn't want to play them, unless UConn had received that indication from ND.

Are we to believe that the first time ND contacted UConn in regards to scheduling a game in 2014/15 was on November 25th of this year. If you do, then I have a bridge to sell. I believe there have been on going discussions with ND about a game, and from UConn's perspective the talks were leading nowhere thus the impression, ND is not interested in playing the game. I'll give ND the benefit of the doubt that they never said we don't want to play UConn. However, their actions said otherwise. Lets face it a game between ND and UConn would also result in discussions with ESPN or another National Network to televise the game Nationally and no way would the first contact be on November 25th. I believe if there was a phone call on November 25th, then maybe it was an effort by ND to restart the talks about scheduling a game.

Both schools have laid down a gauntlet saying they want to play each other. Lets see if ESPN or CBS can get the schools together to get the game scheduled. They tried with the Lady Vols and it didn't work even though UConn was willing to play the game. Will History repeat itself. If it does, it won't be Geno's fault.

Sounds like the wrong people were involved in the attempted discussion. "The coach responsible" for ND's scheduling left a message for someone that coach regarded as UConn's "scheduling administrator." Doesn't say a message for Deb Corum ("senior administrator"). If it was, she seems to have missed it.

She in turn talked with someone at Notre Dame, unidentified. Apparently not the "coach responsible" who left the message expressing interest. Maybe someone who said "I don't know of any interest here in playing in the near future." Which could've been true. The person didn't know.

The timing is unclear, too. The message from ND was purportedly left a week before Ms. Corum's statement appeared in the press. It's unclear, however, when she talked to whomever. Maybe even before the message was left.

My takeaway is that Ms. Corum shouldn've been real sure she'd talked to the right person at ND, and real sure of what that person was saying, before she went public. Although it could've been a two-sided mix-up, seems to me she's the primary one with some 'splainin' to do.

And yeah, looks like there's no reason things can't get back on track. Which is good.

Reaction Score
Why are some taking the position that the UConn representative didn't contact the right person at ND? Surely both schools know who the correct contact is to schedule a game. IMHO what has happened is that someone at ND expressed an opinion to Geno and others at UConn we're no longer interested in scheduling UConn. This has been known before ND made the alleged phone call. Its not in UConn's interest to make known to the media that ND doesn't want to play them, unless UConn had received that indication from ND.

Are we to believe that the first time ND contacted UConn in regards to scheduling a game in 2014/15 was on November 25th of this year. If you do, then I have a bridge to sell. I believe there have been on going discussions with ND about a game, and from UConn's perspective the talks were leading nowhere thus the impression, ND is not interested in playing the game. I'll give ND the benefit of the doubt that they never said we don't want to play UConn. However, their actions said otherwise. Lets face it a game between ND and UConn would also result in discussions with ESPN or another National Network to televise the game Nationally and no way would the first contact be on November 25th. I believe if there was a phone call on November 25th, then maybe it was an effort by ND to restart the talks about scheduling a game.

Both schools have laid down a gauntlet saying they want to play each other. Lets see if ESPN or CBS can get the schools together to get the game scheduled. They tried with the Lady Vols and it didn't work even though UConn was willing to play the game. Will History repeat itself. If it does, it won't be Geno's fault.
The AD of Notre Dame refused to say whether they would endorse UConn if UConn came up in the future for admission to the ACC. I would not give them the time of day. There are many other P5 schools that would be happy to play UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom