ND Not Interested in Playing UConn | The Boneyard

ND Not Interested in Playing UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That can't be right: everybody knows, all UConn has to do is pick up the phone, and we can get any out-of-conference opponent we want!:rolleyes:
They (and we know who "they" are) probably won't even read this thread.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm one of the posters that have complained about schools scheduling weak out of conference schedules and I started this post. Muffett McGraw said last year she would do everything she could to renew the Rivalry. Now ND is ducking UConn. IMHO without any inside information, its not Muffett, but its the ND athletic department that is unwilling to schedule the game. ND's AD Department, is upset with UConn for some of the things said when ND jumped to the ACC. However, with that said I don't understand ND's unwillingness to schedule a game that would be National Televised and generate a lot of Sports fan interest. Like the Lady Vols, ND will be the ultimate loser if they continue to avoid UConn.

It should be easy for teams to improve their OOC Schedule if coaches and AD's would only do what's best for the Sport and their teams. A loss to UConn or any other elite team is better then a win over a team that has an RPI lower then 150. The impediment to scheduling more games between elite teams is the coaches and AD departments and they have all the control. The WBCA should have an agenda item that would discuss out-of-conference scheduling.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That can't be right: everybody knows, all UConn has to do is pick up the phone, and we can get any out-of-conference opponent we want!:rolleyes:
Yeah - I am sure this has more to do with Geno demanding a public apology from Muffet for personally destroying the BE before they would accept ND back on the schedule!:rolleyes::cool:.
Honestly - there are so many moving parts to getting any deal scheduled with any team that it takes real desire on both sides to make it work. I know Uconn likes to:
1. Spread non-conference games between the major conferences and not overweight to any one - usually a max of 2 though I think there were a few times we ended up playing three ACC teams.
2. Spread the OCC geographically (probably a little less important with the AAC so geographically diverse)
3. Make the west coast trip a 2 or 3 game trip
4. Balance the calendar so 8 games in November is the exception and not the rule.
5. Accommodate the TV demands
6. Make the schedule challenging but not ridiculous.
7. Keep traditional games on the schedule with friends.
8. Limit the number of fixed games (multi-year contracts) so each year contains some flexibility.

Now figure that most teams Uconn is trying to schedule have the same kinds of priorities, problems, and other commitments and whose interests and calendar openings mesh and it really is a complex equation.

JS

Reaction Score
Muffett McGraw said last year she would do everything she could to renew the Rivalry. Now ND is ducking UConn. IMHO without any inside information, its not Muffett, but its the ND athletic department that is unwilling to schedule the game. ND's AD Department, is upset with UConn for some of the things said when ND jumped to the ACC.
Yep, this seems like a reversal on ND's part. From Rich Elliott on Sept. 12:

Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw said last season that she would like to continue to play UConn. . . . “I actually met with Geno (last) week and I’ll be reaching out to Notre Dame,’’ UConn senior women’s administrator Deb Corum said. “. . . Notre Dame called. They were interested in playing us this year, but our schedule was full. From that we’re assuming that Notre Dame would be interested in playing us so we’re going to be reaching out to them in the next week or so to see if we can get them on our schedule."

8ball2.gif
BTW, my crystal ball -- one of several from which I pick and claim to have used depending on the results -- says UConn/ND to meet in the postseason, but only if ND can get past Duke.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
After reading the article , it does look like a little ducking of UConn by ND. UConn rep even stated that it was proposed to ND that it could be a home-and-home or neutral site game and ND was simply not interested.

Perhaps this is a problem for ESPN....Maybe if ESPN offers both schools a huge payment for a televised game ND might bite. Other than a BIG money game such as that ND seemingly is not willing to have anything to do with the Huskies and all their FF's and NC's.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm one of the posters that have complained about schools scheduling weak out of conference schedules and I started this post. Muffett McGraw said last year she would do everything she could to renew the Rivalry. Now ND is ducking UConn. IMHO without any inside information, its not Muffett, but its the ND athletic department that is unwilling to schedule the game. ND's AD Department, is upset with UConn for some of the things said when ND jumped to the ACC. However, with that said I don't understand ND's unwillingness to schedule a game that would be National Televised and generate a lot of Sports fan interest. Like the Lady Vols, ND will be the ultimate loser if they continue to avoid UConn.

I don't believe this. Swarbrick and ND surely have a thicker skin than what you're suggesting. There have been worse things said about ND and that hasn't stopped it from playing certain opponents. If Muffet wants the game to happen, it'll happen.

I am perplexed by this turn of events though one of the horde (Altavilla, I think) hinted at it a few weeks ago. It was only May when Muffet said: "We haven't heard any good news on a game with Connecticut," McGraw said. "We're still waiting." Now we're waiting for an explanation from Muffet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep, must be news that surprised Muffet given her previous comments.

Reaction Score
They know that they might be in the same conference soon so why waste the time and lose dates for other games like Mount St Mary, College of Charleston and the heavy Creighton....

Reaction Score
... Perhaps this is a problem for ESPN....Maybe if ESPN offers both schools a huge payment for a televised game ND might bite. Other than a BIG money game such as that ND seemingly is not willing to have anything to do with the Huskies and all their FF's and NC's.

Has it been established that ESPN or CBS has EVER paid an NCAA school for the right to broadcast a women's basketball game? Just because CPTV and SNY paid UConn doesn't necessarily prove that it's always the case.

Does anybody actually know anything on this topic? Assumptions and inferences are worthless.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Has it been established that ESPN or CBS has EVER paid an NCAA school for the right to broadcast a women's basketball game? Just because CPTV and SNY paid UConn doesn't necessarily prove that it's a general practice.

Does anybody actually know anything on this topic? Assumptions and inferences are worthless.

I'm curious why/how your post quotes me on something I didn't write?

Reaction Score
ESPN made the Baylor vs UCONN game last year when Mulkey said no bc of scheduling conflict with their conference. I'm pretty sure ESPN will will its powers again on a UCONNvsND match up....unless ND doesn't answer to ESPN.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Geno was asked last year about playing ND; I assume the question will now be put to Muffet and I look forward to her answer. If this latest news accurately represents ND's position (no reason to believe it doesn't) it won't be a surprise to Muffet. I'm finding it difficult to believe that ND would refuse to play UConn without Muffet's knowledge and approval.

Reaction Score
I'm curious why/how your post quotes me on something I didn't write?

Boneyard software glitch - I quoted HGN but it double clutched and attributed it to you.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't think ND is in ESPN's back pocket. They surely don't need the TV revenue, which is the reason that Baylor agreed to the game.

It will be a shame if UCONN and ND don't play again because with Brianna Turner joining ND next year they are going to be one of the few teams that may be able to challenge UCONN.

Reaction Score
I don't give a rat's arse if we ever see Notre Dame again during the regular season - it just makes it that much harder on them the next time we meet in the Final Four.

Besides, I hate looking at that genetically-challenged green dwarf.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So when do the WCBB talking mouth pieces chime in?

I remember the last time a big time rival of UConn took their ball and ran home it was lauded as "good for the game".

I'm sure the loss of UConn-ND is even better for the game right?

JS

Reaction Score
Cynical Theories Dep't: No news. She just came to realize that it isn't in her best interest recruiting-wise to help UConn maintain a strong OOC schedule. Better to be able to say, "hey, we play in a stronger conference than they do" than to be able to say "we play them."

You want cynical theories? You've come to the right place. We make 'em up, we spread 'em around, and if the facts don't impinge on our fun, we eventually claim they're true. At least until a more cynical theory comes along. Then we switch.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cynical Theories Dep't: No news. She just came to realize that it isn't in her best interest recruiting-wise to help UConn maintain a strong OOC schedule. Better to be able to say, "hey, we play in a stronger conference than they do" than to be able to say "we play them."

You want cynical theories? You've come to the right place. We make 'em up, we spread 'em around, and if the facts don't impinge on our fun, we eventually claim they're true. At least until a more cynical theory comes along. Then we switch.

I'm beginning to think there's something to this cynical theory. I've been reluctant to give in to my cynical voice but I'm at least willing to listen to it. Remember McCallie's comment about renewing the series with UConn: "We have to look into it," McCallie said. "I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with the conference UConn is now in. It's a new time now. But we are always interested in playing the best. We are interested, but let's let the season go through so we can see what eventually happens with all these new conferences."

I hope those who cover the game are paying attention.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno was asked last year about playing ND; I assume the question will now be put to Muffet and I look forward to her answer. If this latest news accurately represents ND's position (no reason to believe it doesn't) it won't be a surprise to Muffet. I'm finding it difficult to believe that ND would refuse to play UConn without Muffet's knowledge and approval.
Except that would mean the Muffet is duplicitous which I do not think she is.

Reaction Score
Why would ACC power teams want to play UCONN in women's basketball? They want to generate their own buzz by playing each other, not an OOC team. They want to establish themselves as the top WBB conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom