ND Not Interested in Playing UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND Not Interested in Playing UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well if ND is good enough they will be playing us every year. I'm fairly confident that one game a year will be enough for them.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
First off, I don't think any of the top teams really need each other to stay relevant in WCBB. I think it's really the other way around and that being the up and coming teams need the elite teams to help them become relevant in WCBB. Sort of how Coach Pat Summitt really helped Geno gain national attention and exposure by scheduling UCONN. It also really helped that Geno was/is a great coach and has a personality that people love to watch. I honestly think the top teams shouldn't really schedule each other during the regular season, but wait for the tourny and possibly have unbeaten teams meeting either in the final four, or championship. That alone would help drive ratings and excitement up for WCBB..

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
This is an interesting article. According to someone who should know, it is untrue that ND is not interested in continuing the series. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, but I have heard that ND is very willing to schedule the Huskies.

What MM wants and what ND wants are two separate things, here.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I mean I can kind of understand why ND wouldn't want to schedule UCONN. Their conference schedule looks extremely brutal. This year's ACC conference has to be one of the strongest I can ever remember for WCBB..

Reaction Score
Geno's comments (despite being true) were pretty incendiary, last season, particularly with regard ND.
I can certainly understand their admin having a long memory and sharp knives.

We have a history of speaking 'truth' to 'power' and it has gotten us into trouble with the ACC: think BC and now ND. Thank God I was never an ACC leaning type. Those who have been preying for ACC invite should start, now, sending roses to the AD at ND. So much power in that school. Think BC was powerful. All know that ND holds the final say in the ACC. If they want Uconn .... If they do not, well ... (Never believe in conspiracies, but don't get caught with your dress up- check them out.)

Reaction Score
This is an interesting article. According to someone who should know, it is untrue that ND is not interested in continuing the series. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding, but I have heard that ND is very willing to schedule the Huskies.

So you are not called admin. for nothing. By bringing truth to my paranoia you have set me free. Why the torture? You could have freed US a long time ago. Beware of floods- they can also eat up admin.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Wow, has everyone checked their meds lately?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
So you are not called admin. for nothing. By bringing truth to my paranoia you have set me free. Why the torture? You could have freed US a long time ago. Beware of floods- they can also eat up admin.

Place me in the flooded "Boat of BoneYarders" who have no idea of the meaning for the string of words you posted. Actually, I don't think I want to know.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I think Las Vegas now has it at 3-1 that the word "grasshopper" will be used somewhere in a subsequent post.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think she is being disingenuous at best and deceitful at worst. She is locked into that ND arrogance that enabled them to join not one, but two, conferences (first Big East, now ACC) without including their football team. And Geno lambasted them publicly for that.

More recently, Muffet looked to the future and saw what Pat saw (when looking ahead) a few years ago: continued UConn dominance because Geno had her number.

Pat hid behind that phony NCAA complaint (through her AD) and the "Geno knows" line and now Muffet (through her AD) puts out that crap about how the demands of her ACC schedule prevent an OOC game vs. UConn.

Now McCallie is getting cold feet.

Give Tara credit. She'll bring her team east to play UConn and welcome them to California. Game On!

Kib

I sincerely hope that is not the case.
In the short run no end to scheduling problems

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, we are beggars until we get this miserable conference problem fixed. Too bad. The BEAST was so great. I lament its demise.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kib

I sincerely hope that is not the case.
In the short run no end to scheduling problems

No end to the scheduling problems? What scheduling problems? Until I see the 2014-15 schedule and the OOC is an issue, I don't see the problem. And until I see a player say it was a big part of not choosing UConn, I don't see the issue at all. Not next year, or a few years after that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know we all like to think WCBB rules the roost and is the driving force in all ADs decisions, but I really do find the paranoia a little much here. As far as I can see most if not all scheduling decisions in WCBB come down to the personalities of the coaches and when things go south on the personal level they go south on the scheduling front. The idea of some grand conspiracy to freeze out Uconn by a conference or a conglomeration of top teams is a little crazy and ultimately meaningless. Uconn has generally had a good OOC, but I think the strength has fluctuated a bit based on the overall strength of the BE - when the BE was really strong the OOC tended to be weaker, when the BE waned the OOC improved. The last few years the BE was Uconn and ND and occasionally Louisville (thought they have not won a game against Uconn in twenty years.) so the OOC has been pretty strong. For any team in the ACC I can understand that in the next couple of years they are playing probably a minimum of 6 games against top 10 ranked teams in conference play - limiting their OOC strength of schedule to 3 or 4 other ranked teams is not unreasonable. And while Uconn will continue to be a top 3 team and maybe the top team, they also have rivalries with teams like TN, Stanford, Baylor, PSU, KY, OU, Cal, etc. So choosing to not play CT some years is not that surprising.
I honestly could care less if we play ND OOC in the next few years. There are some advantages to not playing teams that you are likely to meet again in the NCAA. Obviously we want some good games OOC but whether it is ND or KY or OU or PSU, or ... is not that big an issue for me.

JS

Reaction Score
In Doggy I trust!

abandon-all-hope-v2.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think there is a certain amount of shake-out going on with conference realignment that is messing with scheduling plans as the new conferences figure out exactly how they are scheduling their games - when they start, how many games, format of their tournament. And as for anyone planning on freezing out Uconn - just don't think that is on the cards unless more teams are planning on going the Baylor route with their OOC schedules, ducking any team ranked in the top 50.

Excuse me, Bayor plays the number 1 and number 5 teams OOC. Those are the only two teams, but they did not duck "any team ranked in the top 50." The rest of the schedule is embarrassing, though.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As expected, a response from the Domers which completely contradicts what Deb Corum said. From Jim Fuller's blog: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2013/12/notre-dames-response-on-playing-series.html

Notre Dame women's basketball sports information director Chris Masters sent out an email disputing that Notre Dame is not interested in setting up a non-conference series with UConn.

Here is what Masters had to say in the email

"The recent published reports that Notre Dame is not interested in playing Connecticut in the near future are completely false, extremely disappointing and, frankly, baffling. In fact, Notre Dame contacted Connecticut late last spring regarding a game in 2013-14, but Connecticut’s schedule was already complete. The parties agreed to resume scheduling discussions for future seasons. The recent reports were particularly disappointing in light of the fact that the coach responsible for Notre Dame’s scheduling had left a message for Connecticut’s scheduling administrator regarding a game in 2014-15 on November 25 – just seven days before the media reports regarding Notre Dame’s alleged lack of interest.
Notre Dame's position has never once changed —we want to play Connecticut and would enjoy the opportunity to continue our series next season and beyond. We believe it's in the best interest of college basketball fans everywhere that this series continue, and we remain hopeful that Connecticut will respond affirmatively to Notre Dame regarding our recent inquiry."

I'm not sure how you reconcile Deb Corum's statement (“I did reach out to them and they were not interested in playing us in the near future,”) with this account from ND's public relations guy. I know, "I left you a message" is sometimes akin to the check is in the mail, but someone is playing loose with the facts here.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
As expected, a response from the Domers which completely contradicts what Deb Corum said. From Jim Fuller's blog: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2013/12/notre-dames-response-on-playing-series.html

Notre Dame women's basketball sports information director Chris Masters sent out an email disputing that Notre Dame is not interested in setting up a non-conference series with UConn.

Here is what Masters had to say in the email

"The recent published reports that Notre Dame is not interested in playing Connecticut in the near future are completely false, extremely disappointing and, frankly, baffling. In fact, Notre Dame contacted Connecticut late last spring regarding a game in 2013-14, but Connecticut’s schedule was already complete. The parties agreed to resume scheduling discussions for future seasons. The recent reports were particularly disappointing in light of the fact that the coach responsible for Notre Dame’s scheduling had left a message for Connecticut’s scheduling administrator regarding a game in 2014-15 on November 25 – just seven days before the media reports regarding Notre Dame’s alleged lack of interest.
Notre Dame's position has never once changed —we want to play Connecticut and would enjoy the opportunity to continue our series next season and beyond. We believe it's in the best interest of college basketball fans everywhere that this series continue, and we remain hopeful that Connecticut will respond affirmatively to Notre Dame regarding our recent inquiry."

I'm not sure how you reconcile Deb Corum's statement (“I did reach out to them and they were not interested in playing us in the near future,”) with this account from ND's public relations guy. I know, "I left you a message" is sometimes akin to the check is in the mail, but someone is playing loose with the facts here.
Master's position statement above is consistent with everything we heard and believed leading up to the recent Corum statement. Right now it seems to me that the likely glitch is on UConn's side somehow. I would expect some type of "counter clarification" will be forthcoming from UConn soon.

And, I think that this is good news.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Whatever.... I still don't trust the the Golden Domer's. They have their own agenda.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Master's position statement above is consistent with everything we heard and believed leading up to the recent Corum statement. Right now it seems to me that the likely glitch is on UConn's side somehow. I would expect some type of "counter clarification" will be forthcoming from UConn soon.

And, I think that this is good news.

The end result is good news but I wouldn't call this a glitch. It's one thing to say we're waiting to hear from ND on a game starting next year and quite another to say publicly that we heard from ND and they said no which is what Corum said. This is very strange. I'm sure Carl Adamec, who relied on Corum's statements for his reporting, finds it strange as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom