NCAA WBB Tournament Selection Show - Mon. Mar. 14 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA WBB Tournament Selection Show - Mon. Mar. 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just who are these boarders? And why would fans go crying to them?

Thanks for the heads up. I changed it before time ran out. It should have been "border".

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
* Notable invitees for the WNIT - Temple, Memphis & Tulane from the AAC. Oregon, Dayton Gonzaga, & Michigan. It appears that Duke and UNC declined the invitation. Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie has got some splainnin' to do. You know the Duke fans are not happy about the way their season just ended. Their post season hopes and aspirations abruptly crashed and burned without warning.
Just a quick note about this: North Carolina finished the season with a 14-18 record, so they were not eligible for a WNIT bid.

Reaction Score
Just a quick note about this: North Carolina finished the season with a 14-18 record, so they were not eligible for a WNIT bid.
What the heck has happened to that program. Anyone think it's time for a coaching/recruiting change?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thoughts and observations on tonight's bracket reveal -

* UConn got a nice draw for the first weekend.

* Muffet McGraw is still off her meds. For the second time in a week, tonight she referred to Brianna Turner as the best player in the country. Several references were made by the selection show hosts that Breanna Stewart was the best player in the country. If McGraw really believes that, some may question her judgement and powers of observation. Stewart has won several national awards (and she's not done yet), Turner to date, has not won any.

*Brianna Turner was named the ACC player of the year. I commented in December of last year that I thought Turner would be an All-American by the end of her junior year. An ACC player of the year award is a stepping stone to an AA selection. My prediction is still looking pretty good. ;)

* Kentucky is in the "Cat-bird" seat. The first two weekends are scheduled to be played on their home floor. You know their fans will show up big time. They're going to be hard to beat at home. If UConn got a play like that from the selection committee, fans would be crying like newborns crying foul. Does anyone think that Kentucky will win their region? I don't. Notre Dame is driving that bus.

* USF was assigned to our bracket once again. I think it's the 3rd or 4th time in a row. Someone on the selection committee must have it in for USF.
That's more than just a coincidence. You know USF can't wait to get out of the AAC. We're that "kidney stone" they just can't seem to pass. :confused:

* I doubt Texas will make it pass the 2nd round. They are considered to be the weakest 2nd seed in the tournament.

* I wouldn't look pass Louisville too far. They're on the come, and may be this year's dark horse. It would not surprise me if they made the sweet 16, maybe the great 8.

* The hardest match ups to figure out are the 8-9 games. Both teams are usually evenly matched.

* The path I see for UConn to come out of their region is: Robert Morris, Seaton Hall, Michigan State and UCLA. I'll be attending the 1st & 2nd round games at UCLA (in my backyard), since I can't make it Storrs or Bridgeport. Without looking on Mapquest, who do you think will travel the farthest to get to Westwood (UCLA) - Hawaii or South Florida?

* Notable invitees for the WNIT - Temple, Memphis & Tulane from the AAC. Oregon, Dayton Gonzaga, & Michigan. It appears that Duke and UNC declined the invitation. Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie has got some splainnin' to do. You know the Duke fans are not happy about the way their season just ended. Their post season hopes and aspirations abruptly crashed and burned without warning.

* Breanna Stewart has not fouled out of a game so far during her 4 years at UConn. For a starter, that's a remarkable feat.

* OK everybody, that's all I got. Now that we have brackets in hand, time to put on your turbans and capes, dust off that crystal ball, get out the tea leaves and tarot cards and start filling out those brackets. Good luck to you all. Let the games begin. :cool:

• Brianna Turner was NOT the ACC player of the year; that was awarded to Myisha Hines-Allen. Turner was ACC defensive POY. Still, though, I think Turner will get at least 3rd team AA this year, and possibly 2nd team.
  • I would be shocked if Kentucky beats Maryland, even on its home floor. I'd like Kentucky's chances a lot better against any other 2 seed.
  • Until South Florida proves it can at least get into the Sweet 16, it's hard to be too outraged about who they might have to play in the "Great 8".
  • Louisville, a 3 seed, should most certainly get to the S16, playing at home against DePaul or James Madison. Louisville vs. Oregon State on a neutral court in the S16 is a very intriguing matchup: contrast of styles and experience vs. youth.
  • BYU could certainly give Texas a tough challenge if Lexi Rydalch goes off. She had 28 in a neutral-court win over A&M.

Reaction Score

* UConn got a nice draw for the first weekend.

* Muffet McGraw is still off her meds. For the second time in a week, tonight she referred to Brianna Turner as the best player in the country. Several references were made by the selection show hosts that Breanna Stewart was the best player in the country. If McGraw really believes that, some may question her judgement and powers of observation. Stewart has won several national awards (and she's not done yet), Turner to date, has not won any.

*Brianna Turner was named the ACC player of the year. I commented in December of last year that I thought Turner would be an All-American by the end of her junior year. An ACC player of the year award is a stepping stone to an AA selection. My prediction is still looking pretty good. ;)

* Kentucky is in the "Cat-bird" seat. The first two weekends are scheduled to be played on their home floor. You know their fans will show up big time. They're going to be hard to beat at home. If UConn got a play like that from the selection committee, fans would be crying like newborns crying foul. Does anyone think that Kentucky will win their region? I don't. Notre Dame is driving that bus.

* USF was assigned to our bracket once again. I think it's the 3rd or 4th time in a row. Someone on the selection committee must have it in for USF.
That's more than just a coincidence. You know USF can't wait to get out of the AAC. We're that "kidney stone" they just can't seem to pass. :confused:

* I doubt Texas will make it pass the 2nd round. They are considered to be the weakest 2nd seed in the tournament.

* I wouldn't look pass Louisville too far. They're on the come, and may be this year's dark horse. It would not surprise me if they made the sweet 16, maybe the great 8.

* The hardest match ups to figure out are the 8-9 games. Both teams are usually evenly matched.

* The path I see for UConn to come out of their region is: Robert Morris, Seaton Hall, Michigan State and UCLA. I'll be attending the 1st & 2nd round games at UCLA (in my backyard), since I can't make it Storrs or Bridgeport. Without looking on Mapquest, who do you think will travel the farthest to get to Westwood (UCLA) - Hawaii or South Florida?

* Breanna Stewart has not fouled out of a game so far during her 4 years at UConn. For a starter, that's a remarkable feat.

* OK everybody, that's all I got. Now that we have brackets in hand, time to put on your turbans and capes, dust off that crystal ball, get out the tea leaves and tarot cards and start filling out those brackets. Good luck to you all. Let the games begin. :cool:

Not sure why Duke coach JP would deprive her kids from a post season tournament, particularly in NYC. Either she is punishing her kids or she is too embarrassed personally to play in the NIT. She seems to be the problem in that her coaching does"t resonate. Why not keep working at it in a tournament environment? Her players could learn something and take it in to next year.. Parents of the players are probable pissed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not sure why Duke coach JP would deprive her kids from a post season tournament, particularly in NYC. Either she is punishing her kids or she is too embarrassed personally to play in the NIT. She seems to be the problem in that her coaching does"t resonate. Why not keep working at it in a tournament environment? Her players could learn something and take it in to next year.. Parents of the players are probable pissed.

Duke "will not participate ... due to a limited roster": http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210803688

Not uncommon for attrition-affected teams to decline an NIT bid. I suspect this is why USC isn't in the WNIT either.

I must say, though, that I can't recall a team so chronically bitten by the injury big as Duke has been over the past several seasons.

Reaction Score
I noticed Michigan State is not hosting due to a high school tournament and the games will be at Mississippi State. That could play a role in who we end up playing.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I noticed Michigan State is not hosting due to a high school tournament and the games will be at Mississippi State. That could play a role in who we end up playing.

I would characterize Miss St-Mich St as a toss-up, wherever they play.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I heard her say was that Turner was the best player in the conference - she may have circled back and said she was the best in the nation but I definitely didn't hear that.

Reaction Score
I heard Muffet say Turner was best in the conference. Nevertheless, she annoys the heck out of me. She tries to promote her players just out of the blue. Her comments were not necessary to the interview. Can't stand her and her school-bunch of entitled and overhyped school. Muffet did look ragged-good!

Reaction Score
  • Brianna Turner was NOT the ACC player of the year; that was awarded to Myisha Hines-Allen. Turner was ACC defensive POY. Still, though, I think Turner will get at least 3rd team AA this year, and possibly 2nd team.
  • I would be shocked if Kentucky beats Maryland, even on its home floor. I'd like Kentucky's chances a lot better against any other 2 seed.
  • Until South Florida proves it can at least get into the Sweet 16, it's hard to be too outraged about who they might have to play in the "Great 8".
  • Louisville, a 3 seed, should most certainly get to the S16, playing at home against DePaul or James Madison. Louisville vs. Oregon State on a neutral court in the S16 is a very intriguing matchup: contrast of styles and experience vs. youth.
  • BYU could certainly give Texas a tough challenge if Lexi Rydalch goes off. She had 28 in a neutral-court win over A&M.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-coaches-tab-notre-dame-turner-as-player-of-the-year-03-07-2016

Looks like Turner was named ACC Player of the Year by the coaches. Saw that Hines-Allen was ACC Player of the Year too (http://www.gocards.com/news/2016/3/2/womens-basketball-hines-allen-named-acc-player-of-the-year.aspx). Must have been by the media. Kind of silly to have two separate.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Happy for them! ;)

There is a trade-off. They got Lexington instead of Sioux Falls. That's a big plus, except that they got Kentucky too.

We'll only "play" Kentucky if the Wildcats beat Maryland. And, outside of being given de facto "home game" by the NCAA selection committee, I still don't think that's enough for KY to beat Maryland.

I don't like the idea of running into Miami for a third time, but we'll see how that plays out.

Plebe

Reaction Score
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-coaches-tab-notre-dame-turner-as-player-of-the-year-03-07-2016

Looks like Turner was named ACC Player of the Year by the coaches. Saw that Hines-Allen was ACC Player of the Year too (http://www.gocards.com/news/2016/3/2/womens-basketball-hines-allen-named-acc-player-of-the-year.aspx). Must have been by the media. Kind of silly to have two separate.

I think it was the other way around. Turner got the POY award from the "Blue Ribbon Panel" (which I believe is media). H-A's award was from the coaches.

Reaction Score
I heard Muffet say Turner was best in the conference. Nevertheless, she annoys the heck out of me. She tries to promote her players just out of the blue. Her comments were not necessary to the interview. Can't stand her and her school-bunch of entitled and overhyped school. Muffet did look ragged-good!

Yes MM said best player in conference. I'm not exactly sure what you expect coaches to do if not build up their players.

MM finds herself as the face of a school in a growing rivalry who is supposed to act a part but seems very uncomfortable in that position imo. It seems forced.

With all the Final Fours Notre Dame has been in recently they certainly are not over-hyped.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
What I heard her say was that Turner was the best player in the conference - she may have circled back and said she was the best in the nation but I definitely didn't hear that.

I heard conference as well...and local follow-up stories had the same thing.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yes MM said best player in conference. I'm not exactly sure what you expect coaches to do if not build up their players.

MM finds herself as the face of a school in a growing rivalry who is supposed to act a part but seems very uncomfortable in that position imo. It seems forced.

With all the Final Fours Notre Dame has been in recently they certainly are not over-hyped.

Johnny C...Good points. After all these years, Muffet handles a lot of these press aspects very well, but some seem forced and clunky, and the plugging of players is one of them. The degree of subtlety that can help it (timing, phrases like "I think she's one of the better players...") seems to be absent...odd, given that it could easily be "coached." I've met her on more than a few occasions and she's very straightforward, pleasant and has a wry sense of humor that Philly/Jersey guys and gals will appreciate.

As for the program, yes, all one has to do is look at the overall, conference and NCAA tourney results ....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed. There was a little hesitation, but she definitely said "conference."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle