NCAA WBB Tournament Selection Show - Mon. Mar. 14 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA WBB Tournament Selection Show - Mon. Mar. 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if UConn met either UCLA or South Florida for the right to go the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Have fun! Take some extra time and see the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

UConn has gotten screwed by the power conferences repeatedly.
This x1000. I can't wait for the next round of conference realignment to hear what excuse is used this time for why UConn can't be included. Our luck would have it such that we'd finally get into a P5, and the next day Mark Emmert would crush us with sanctions because only 99% of our players graduated.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This x1000. I can't wait for the next round of conference realignment to hear what excuse is used this time for why UConn can't be included. Our luck would have it such that we'd finally get into a P5, and the next day Mark Emmert would crush us with sanctions because only 99% of our players graduated.
FWIW I tend to disagree that we were screwed. We made our own bed by hiring Pasqualoni who set the program back at least 5-7 years. We never joined whatever that academic thing is that the schools in the big 10 are a part of. And our Senator from CT was the lead in a lawsuit filed against the ACC and BCU or whoever back in the day. If not for that disastrous decision, we'd probably be in the ACC right now.

Reaction Score
If the top seeds win out in Uconn's bracket,this is their outcome/path to the final four:
1st game=The only smokin'hot morris will be Philip-Robert,not so much.
Game 2=No Hall pass for the Seton people
Game 3=Michigan State will be so pooped trying to keep up with Uconn's speed they will be known as the frtn' Sprtn's.
Game 4=The only hookin'will be done by Stewie vs.the Texas shorthorns.See you in Indy where only the sleddogs are as fast as the cars.

Reaction Score
FWIW I tend to disagree that we were screwed. We made our own bed by hiring Pasqualoni who set the program back at least 5-7 years. We never joined whatever that academic thing is that the schools in the big 10 are a part of. And our Senator from CT was the lead in a lawsuit filed against the ACC and BCU or whoever back in the day. If not for that disastrous decision, we'd probably be in the ACC right now.
You can't join the AAU. That's the fun part of that whole thing. You have to be invited in, and guess who gets to do the inviting? The same schools that don't want us in their athletic conferences.

Reaction Score
If South Carolina had gotten the Lexington Regional we would have had almost as many fans there as Kentucky. Sioux Falls? I am pricing airfare into MSP. I can't imagine flying from Columbia to SF.

Try Omaha too.

Reaction Score
Our fans got screwed; our MBB team got screwed by the NCAA yesterday and our fans by the NCAA today. Nonetheless, I'm finding a way to Sioux Falls.
In addition to MSP, check flights to Omaha (OMA) - 2 hour drive. Allegiant Air flies into SF - small independent, might not be listed on Expedia, etc. I think United goes to SF too.

Reaction Score
Have fun! Take some extra time and see the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore.

UConn has gotten screwed by the power conferences repeatedly.
Haha - Mt Rushmore is over by Rapid City - clear over on the other side of the state. However it might be worth the trip to see it before they change it to Taurasi, Moore, Steart and Bird :p
And unless UCONN beats Baylor. ;)
Touché - should be a hell of a game!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think you guys got screwed on the location, but got the easiest draw.

Exactly, which is why I'm not too upset about the bracket. Sure.. being sent to Sioux Falls sucks.. but the NCAA gifted us with a relatively "easy" region. I can work with that. Ohio State will be tough. Arizona State will present challenges but SC should take care of them. Syracuse is interesting.. we played them last year but they are much better this year.

Last year, SC was the 3 seed and ND was the 2 seed.. SC was sent to the closer regional while ND was sent down south.. This year, the reverse happened. Can't complain.

Also, I'm not sure why so many people on this board are peeved Maryland didn't get sent to SC's regional. Is it really fair to put the best (by far) 2 seed in the overall 2 seed's regional? Maryland should've been in Baylor's regional IMO.

Last but not least.. Just judging by the post from Notre Dame fans here and on the ND board... the only reason they wanted the 2-seed was because they thought the 2-seed was "attached" to Lexington. Well the committee proved the contrary, they gave you Lexington but allowed you to keep your seed. That's a heck of a gift from the committee.

A few days ago, a poster here asked whether we'd rather have a tougher but closer regional or a farther but easier regional. I said farther but easier.. committee must have been paying attention. The Lexington region is no joke and they better hope Kentucky gets snuffed out early because if not it's going to be very hard to beat them in a sold out Rupp Arena.. and Kentucky fans WILL show up for that one. Bottom line, be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And NC States is out, too? Favoritism much?
i

NC State had no wins over the tournament field. Best wins were Duke and Villanova, neither of which made it.

Reaction Score
Top RPI to not make it: UTEP (37).
Lowest at-large to make it: Purdue (66) and Auburn (57)

Lowest at-large seeds:
#11 Princeton
#11 Purdue
#10 Mizzou
#10 Green Bay
#10 St Bonaventure

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Exactly, which is why I'm not too upset about the bracket. Sure.. being sent to Sioux Falls sucks.. but the NCAA gifted us with a relatively "easy" region. I can work with that. Ohio State will be tough. Arizona State will present challenges but SC should take care of them. Syracuse is interesting.. we played them last year but they are much better this year.

Last year, SC was the 3 seed and ND was the 2 seed.. SC was sent to the closer regional while ND was sent down south.. This year, the reverse happened. Can't complain.

Also, I'm not sure why so many people on this board are peeved Maryland didn't get sent to SC's regional. Is it really fair to put the best (by far) 2 seed in the overall 2 seed's regional? Maryland should've been in Baylor's regional IMO.

Last but not least.. Just judging by the post from Notre Dame fans here and on the ND board... the only reason they wanted the 2-seed was because they thought the 2-seed was "attached" to Lexington. Well the committee proved the contrary, they gave you Lexington but allowed you to keep your seed. That's a heck of a gift from the committee.

A few days ago, a poster here asked whether we'd rather have a tougher but closer regional or a farther but easier regional. I said farther but easier.. committee must have been paying attention. The Lexington region is no joke and they better hope Kentucky gets snuffed out early because if not it's going to be very hard to beat them in a sold out Rupp Arena.. and Kentucky fans WILL show up for that one. Bottom line, be careful what you wish for.
Maryland should be playing Baylor. That would be the most honest bracket if the committee were being honest but since that's not the name of the game I just felt a SCar vs Maryland game would be the most entertaining of the 1 vs 2 match ups. Also, Mitchell will NEVER out coach Muffet. Kentucky is not a problem for ND.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maryland should be playing Baylor. That would be the most honest bracket if the committee were being honest but since that's not the name of the game I just felt a SCar vs Maryland game would be the most entertaining of the 1 vs 2 match ups. Also, Mitchell will NEVER out coach Muffet. Kentucky is not a problem for ND.

I think Maryland-Notre Dame will be quite entertaining.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

IMO, Ohio State is a much bigger problem for SC than Maryland is. Our post players match up well with Maryland's post players. Sessions and Mitchell take turns guarding SWK (don't forget, Mitchell and SWK were both 2 guards for the Pan-Am team.. safe to say they know one another's games). We would force Md to score through Moseley, Gillespie and Co. Maryland has shown on multiple occasions that they wilt when playing against a tough defense. If SC has anything, it's a tough and physical defense. Maryland doesn't scare me as much as Mitchell and Alston setting us on fire from behind the three arc before we even get back down the court to set up our defense (which happened on multiple occasions in our first meeting).

Also, Mitchell may not outcoach Muffet.. but his players are going to take a nice beating that game and will probably need several ice baths before the next. Kentucky will likely be the most physical game they've played in years.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Maryland-Notre Dame will be quite entertaining.
I think the Terps can play with the Irish, unlike a few years ago. The 3-point shooting, Allen v. Moseley, and Jones v. Turner would all be interesting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I find interesting with Purdue is the logic behind them as follows:
In order to really consider Louisville a solid 2-3 seed, you have to pretty much ignore the first month of the season when they went 1-4 with the win being against a pretty mediocre Marist team and the losses being Western KY, Purdue, Dayton and California - none of who are dancing. That team at that time of the year was playing like a 80+RPI team. They have played great since then and will be one of the favorites in the tournament to create one or more upsets. So I have no issue with their seeding and am glad they are not in Uconn's region.

But then you look at Purdue, and the only way you can make a case for them is to tout their win against #14 Louisville. Problem is, that win came in the third game of the season when we just decided Louisville was a really bad team trying to find their way. The only other win Purdue has against a NCAA bound team is at home to Indiana who at #46 RPI with a modest resume of their own is near the back end of the at large field themselves

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thoughts and observations on tonight's bracket reveal -

* UConn got a nice draw for the first weekend.

* Muffet McGraw is still off her meds. For the second time in a week, tonight she referred to Brianna Turner as the best player in the country. Several references were made by the selection show hosts that Breanna Stewart was the best player in the country. If McGraw really believes that, some may question her judgement and powers of observation. Stewart has won several national awards (and she's not done yet), Turner to date, has not won any.

*Brianna Turner was named the ACC player of the year. I commented in December of last year that I thought Turner would be an All-American by the end of her junior year. An ACC player of the year award is a stepping stone to an AA selection. My prediction is still looking pretty good. ;)

* Kentucky is in the "Cat-bird" seat. The first two weekends are scheduled to be played on their home floor. You know their fans will show up big time. They're going to be hard to beat at home. If UConn got a play like that from the selection committee, fans would be crying like newborns crying foul. Does anyone think that Kentucky will win their region? I don't. Notre Dame is driving that bus.

* USF was assigned to our bracket once again. I think it's the 3rd or 4th time in a row. Someone on the selection committee must have it in for USF.
That's more than just a coincidence. You know USF can't wait to get out of the AAC. We're that "kidney stone" they just can't seem to pass. :confused:

* I doubt Texas will make it pass the 2nd round. They are considered to be the weakest 2nd seed in the tournament.

* I wouldn't look pass Louisville too far. They're on the come, and may be this year's dark horse. It would not surprise me if they made the sweet 16, maybe the great 8.

* The hardest match ups to figure out are the 8-9 games. Both teams are usually evenly matched.

* The path I see for UConn to come out of their region is: Robert Morris, Seaton Hall, Michigan State and UCLA. I'll be attending the 1st & 2nd round games at UCLA (in my backyard), since I can't make it Storrs or Bridgeport. Without looking on Mapquest, who do you think will travel the farthest to get to Westwood (UCLA) - Hawaii or South Florida?

* Notable invitees for the WNIT - Temple, Memphis & Tulane from the AAC. Oregon, Dayton Gonzaga, & Michigan. It appears that Duke and UNC declined the invitation. Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie has got some splainnin' to do. You know the Duke fans are not happy about the way their season just ended. Their post season hopes and aspirations abruptly crashed and burned without warning.

* Breanna Stewart has not fouled out of a game so far during her 4 years at UConn. For a starter, that's a remarkable feat.

* OK everybody, that's all I got. Now that we have brackets in hand, time to put on your turbans and capes, dust off that crystal ball, get out the tea leaves and tarot cards and start filling out those brackets. Good luck to you all. Let the games begin. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
fans would be crying like babies from boarder to boarder, and coast to coast crying foul.
Just who are these boarders? And why would fans go crying to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom