NCAA Denies ND Center Maya Dodson Another Year | The Boneyard

NCAA Denies ND Center Maya Dodson Another Year

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
There are over 1,000 players in the portal and they are ND. They won't have to beg too much. Doesn't mean they will find great players, but don't doubt that they will get enough to field a team.

Reaction Score
ND is screwed. They are down to 5 scholarship players with 1 recruit coming in. They have 2 excellent young guards and no bigs or bench. And ND makes it VERY hard for transfers to get accepted. They will have to hit the portal HARD.
I think they'll be fine................they've got a nice amount of talent to build around..........I have no idea how hard it is to transfer into the program but whoever comes in knows they'll get a chance to play.......

Reaction Score
So, does this set a precedent for players who elected to sit out '20-'21, that they won't get an extra year of eligibility?
I get there wouldn't be sympathy for ND here but to me Maya has only played 4 years of basketball and quite a few others will be playing 5 next year, they just didn't sit out full season or they transferred. Honestly I don't get why she would even need a waiver but the NCAA isn't exactly known for being logical in how their rules are written or applied.

I am thinking of Annie Hayes, who graduated HS the same year as Dodson. Hayes played one year a UT, sat out a year to transfer to MTSU that was required, played 2 years there, transferred without sitting out to spend one year at MSU and is now getting her "Covid" year. Dodson played 3 years at Stanford, sat out the 20-21 year and graduated, came to ND as a grad transfer with eligibility left, so wouldn't this upcoming year have been her COVID year? I know the ruling is final but I am curious if anyone can clarify why her situation is different.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Nearly all players around the nation have been granted a fifth season of eligibility under the NCAA’s COVID-related policy.

What’s different for Dodson is that her fifth season would’ve spanned six years overall, although other players have had careers that have spanned at least seven years, sometimes at multiple schools.

Further, when Dodson sat out in 2020-21, she even cited the pandemic as one of her reasons.

Reaction Score
I get there wouldn't be sympathy for ND here but to me Maya has only played 4 years of basketball and quite a few others will be playing 5 next year, they just didn't sit out full season or they transferred. Honestly I don't get why she would even need a waiver but the NCAA isn't exactly known for being logical in how their rules are written or applied.

I am thinking of Annie Hayes, who graduated HS the same year as Dodson. Hayes played one year a UT, sat out a year to transfer to MTSU that was required, played 2 years there, transferred without sitting out to spend one year at MSU and is now getting her "Covid" year. Dodson played 3 years at Stanford, sat out the 20-21 year and graduated, came to ND as a grad transfer with eligibility left, so wouldn't this upcoming year have been her COVID year? I know the ruling is final but I am curious if anyone can clarify why her situation is different.
She elected to sit out. Different circumstances.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
The difference is she sat out during the COVID year that allowed everyone to have an extra year. It makes sense it got denied actually. They gave everyone an extra year so people wouldn’t redshirt, but if you never played during that year anyway, the extra year doesn’t really apply to you.

Reaction Score
She elected to sit out. Different circumstances.
I thought one reason for the blanket year was so that anyone who elected to sit out, had their seasons cancelled, or missed significant time due to COVID wouldn't lose that year. If she can't play another year then why was anyone given the chance to have an additional one?

I have no dog in the race and really don't care but it seems weird. Still, that's the NCAA logic at work.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting this here! I never would have seen it on the general board.

To answer the OP, I hardly think ND is screwed. It's not like they don't have a terrific core. And Owusu and Reese are still sitting in the portal. Maybe not a ton of elite talent in there, but certainly enough for ND to get some quality help.

Regardless, I'm super glad. The Shepherd "immediate PT" directly led to their NC IMHO, and she should never have been granted a waiver exception. Too little too late where ND is concerned, but I guess better late than never...

Reaction Score

Nearly all players around the nation have been granted a fifth season of eligibility under the NCAA’s COVID-related policy.

What’s different for Dodson is that her fifth season would’ve spanned six years overall, although other players have had careers that have spanned at least seven years, sometimes at multiple schools.

Further, when Dodson sat out in 2020-21, she even cited the pandemic as one of her reasons.
You get 5 years of eligibility to play your 4 years of competition.

The NCAA granted everyone in college during the 20-21 season a sixth year of eligibility. And stated that the 20-21 season would not count as a year of competition whether the player actually played or not. For those players who played that amounted to an effective fifth year of competition.

So essentially players still only get 4 years of competition not counting the 20-21 season.

Dodson has played her 4 years of competition.

For example, AEH (UConn to MS State to Seton Hall) planned to sit out the 20-21 season which would have been her fourth year of competition. When the NCAA made 20-21 a free year, AEH enrolled at SH and began playing in Jan 21 and still got in another year of competition in 21-22.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Losing Dodson is a big blow because she was probably ND's 2nd best player last year and the linchpin of ND's interior offense and defense.

Still ND returns 4 starters and adds a McDonald's All-American in KK Bransford.

Ivey obviously has to hit the portal hard but assuming she doesn't completely whiff, I think ND should remain in the top 25.

Also, I hope this thread does not turn into re-litigating the Shepard situation for the 100th time...

Reaction Score
I thought one reason for the blanket year was so that anyone who elected to sit out, had their seasons cancelled, or missed significant time due to COVID wouldn't lose that year. If she can't play another year then why was anyone given the chance to have an additional one?

I have no dog in the race and really don't care but it seems weird. Still, that's the NCAA logic at work.
Not exactly. Seasons cancelled or missing time due to Covid, yes; electing to sit out means that player was still on a roster. She was on a roster for five years.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ah, question answered. Jenna Brown, step on up. Could become what, the 4th Stanford grad transfer to go to ND?

Reaction Score
You get to actually play 4 years. The NCAA decided that the 20-21 year essentially never happened eligibility wise. She has actually played her 4 years.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Muffett might have a point. Dodson only played 9 games in '19-'20. The NCAA has given a break to some players previously with a combination of missing a portion of a season due to injury and transferring (Japreece Dean, Daneesha Provo).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Also, I hope this thread does not turn into re-litigating the Shepard situation for the 100th time...

You already knew the answer

crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60;progressive.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom