NCAA Denies ND Center Maya Dodson Another Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Denies ND Center Maya Dodson Another Year

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The problem with Dodson's case is that she chose to play at the very end of the '19-20 season. The NCAA rules are pretty clear on the circumstances that support a medical hardship. She knew she was using up a year of eligibility when she chose to play. It's not really a close call.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Dodson opted in for the WNBA draft and voluntarily renounced any remaining eligibility. As of April 6 she was still listed on the WBNA website as being available. So between then and now, she withdrew from the draft and petitioned the NCAA to let her play another season? So this is a case where you can denounce something and then turn around and say "oops, my mistake...". No harm, no foul, etc.
Sounds like something a Golden Domer would be eligible to do.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The problem with Dodson's case is that she chose to play at the very end of the '19-20 season. The NCAA rules are pretty clear on the circumstances that support a medical hardship. She knew she was using up a year of eligibility when she chose to play. It's not really a close call.
I didn't remember that detail, thanks. There are many things about the NCAA I don't understand. I mentioned Dean and Provo earlier, I'm not sure why the NCAA seems to "reward" players for mid season transfers, ie. bailing on their teammates in the middle of a season. Seems to send a really good message.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dodson opted in for the WNBA draft and voluntarily renounced any remaining eligibility. As of April 6 she was still listed on the WBNA website as being available. So between then and now, she withdrew from the draft and petitioned the NCAA to let her play another season? So this is a case where you can denounce something and then turn around and say "oops, my mistake...". No harm, no foul, etc.
Sounds like something a Golden Domer would be eligible to do.
That's not what happened. She submitted her waiver request before declaring herself eligible for the WNBA draft. If her waiver had been granted she would have then withdrawn from the draft.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That's not what happened. She submitted her waiver request before declaring herself eligible for the WNBA draft. If her waiver had been granted she would have then withdrawn from the draft.
My point is, from a layman's point of view, she declared for the draft and renounced her remaining eligibility. Didn't know that players can renounce something with a caveat attached. I just don't understand the idea of renouncing something BUT only if something else fails.

@UConnCat no need to explain, it doesn't really matter. I only posted something because today I saw the April 6th list of WNBA draft eligible people and noticed that Dodson was on it and then saw this thread.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Why would you go from Stanford to ND? Talk about a step down.
Ask Olivia Miles, Sonia Citron*, and Skylar Diggins. None of them seems to regret getting admitted to Stanford but choosing Notre Dame anyway.

Whether you believe it or not, across a number of sports, including football, men's basketball, and women's basketball, The Domers are probably actually our very top recruiting competition. UCLA/U$C/Oregon/Cal/Texas/UVA/Duke are for certain sports, but Notre Dame is most consistently our chief rival. Stanford has a pretty liberal/agnostic undergraduate population but our student-athlete base is much more religious than the school as a whole is.

*Have never definitively heard confirmation Citron was admitted, but she was a top target for us and we've all assumed she was admissible if not admitted. I'm all but certain Miles and Diggins could have come to the Farm had they wanted to.

Reaction Score
I get there wouldn't be sympathy for ND here but to me Maya has only played 4 years of basketball and quite a few others will be playing 5 next year, they just didn't sit out full season or they transferred. Honestly I don't get why she would even need a waiver but the NCAA isn't exactly known for being logical in how their rules are written or applied.

I am thinking of Annie Hayes, who graduated HS the same year as Dodson. Hayes played one year a UT, sat out a year to transfer to MTSU that was required, played 2 years there, transferred without sitting out to spend one year at MSU and is now getting her "Covid" year. Dodson played 3 years at Stanford, sat out the 20-21 year and graduated, came to ND as a grad transfer with eligibility left, so wouldn't this upcoming year have been her COVID year? I know the ruling is final but I am curious if anyone can clarify why her situation is different.
Her 4 years was HER choice. She made the decision to sit out knowing that she would not qualify for a covid year. Big girl decision, big girl consequences, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Muffett might have a point. Dodson only played 9 games in '19-'20. The NCAA has given a break to some players previously with a combination of missing a portion of a season due to injury and transferring (Japreece Dean, Daneesha Provo).
Dodson played 9 games in 19-20 ..... the games she played were the last nine games of the season.

Counts as a year of competition and she doesn't qualify for a medical hardship.

Medical hardship: played no more than 30% of the regularly scheduled games; all games played in the first half of the season; and a Doctor's certification that the injury prevented her from finishing the season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
For YEARS the NBA has had a cut off date to enter your name in the draft, then another date by which you could withdraw your name and maintain NCAA eligibility. WNBA doesn't see much in the way of underclassmen declaring, so it's not quite the same. But I don't see a problem with it. In men's hoops they call it testing the waters.

Reaction Score
Muffett might have a point. Dodson only played 9 games in '19-'20. The NCAA has given a break to some players previously with a combination of missing a portion of a season due to injury and transferring (Japreece Dean, Daneesha Provo).
Muffet does not have a point. She is completely ignoring the rules. And don't think for one minute she isn't just making this stuff up. She thinks she can get the end result by just being stubborn.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Losing Dodson is a big blow because she was probably ND's 2nd best player last year and the linchpin of ND's interior offense and defense.

Still ND returns 4 starters and adds a McDonald's All-American in KK Arnold Bransford.

Ivey obviously has to hit the portal hard but assuming she doesn't completely whiff, I think ND should remain in the top 25.

Also, I hope this thread does not turn into re-litigating the Shepard situation for the 100th time...
The K K autocomplete the the boneyard has setup will be a real minefield for Irish fans. I guess I have to use her government name of "Calyn"

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seriously, why is this so hard for people to understand?

The Covid extra year does not apply to her case, by any stretch or most generous interpretation.

Muffet is merely as shocked as I am that the rules were objectively applied to the detriment of Our Lady. And now, like a spoiled child, predictably she fusses.

She has some freaking nerve to say squat after the Shepard gift handed to her.

(Insert classic meme of Muffet crying when Clemson pushed her out of coaching)

Reaction Score
Seriously, why is this so hard for people to understand?

The Covid extra year does not apply to her case, by any stretch or most generous interpretation.

Muffet is merely as shocked as I am that the rules were objectively applied to the detriment of Our Lady. And now, like a spoiled child, predictably she fusses.

She has some freaking nerve to say squat after the Shepard gift handed to her.

(Insert classic meme of Muffet crying when Clemson pushed her out of coaching)
This. Especially while during the same time several UCONN incoming transfers were made to sit out a year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, does this set a precedent for players who elected to sit out '20-'21, that they won't get an extra year of eligibility?
That was her only hope - the problem is that the 'red shirt' exemption specifically qualifies the percentages of a team's games you can play AND that you cannot play any of those games in the second half of the season. She came back for the last 9 games of a 33 game season - not sure what the percentage allowed is, but they were all in the second half of the season.

I am sure they 'argued' that because there was no NCAA tournament it shouldn't counted as a year - but no one is guaranteed a tournament and the NCAA would have increased the chaos and portal activity is they would have ruled in her favor as all players could have claimed that exception.

UHF

Reaction Score
Is there any NCAA rule on age limit for student-athletes competing in team sports? Thanks.

Connor Mantz won the NCAA Cross Country Championship in 2020 at age 24. Repeat winner in 2021 at age 25.

If not mistaken, Ali Patberg is 25 now. Below is from IU website.

2021-22. Graduate Year.
2020-21. Senior Year.
2019-20. Redshirt Junior. March Madness cancelled due to Covid.
2018-19. Redshirt Junior.
2017-18. Redshirt Sophomore. Sat out due to NCAA transfer rules.
2016-17. Sophomore Season.
2015-16. Freshman Season. ACL. Did not play.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is there any NCAA rule on age limit for student-athletes competing in team sports? Thanks.

No. Chris Weinke and Brandon Weeden were starting fb qbs in their late 20s. There are other examples.

sun

Reaction Score
Answers can be found in these articles.

Reactions: UHF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom