Natalie Butler Not Playing until Christmas | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler Not Playing until Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't think he has inexperienced freshmen. So, there is that. And, pray tell, what inexperienced freshman on CT is being trapped by what 2/3 Irishfolk, while the 4 experienced UConn players go get a drink of water? So, there is that, too. ;) To me, the whole Geno doesn't like to play freshman thing is a bit overcooked.
Agree, but usually there isn't a need to. Don't know if he'll need to this year either, but he may want to.

Reaction Score
Horrible break for Natalie. Wish her a full and speedy recovery. I am sure the staff and teammates will keepbher focused and involved. Notre Dame, Maryland, Ohio St. Games just became a little tougher.

These games w/o NB will provide 20 extra minutes or so for our bench players, which will help them in the rest of the season. Is it November 2 yet ??

Reaction Score
Hard to trap a team with senior Moriah at point and Sophomore NT star Kia at off guard, and it is hard to trap 6'3" players (Lou) in the front court unless they dribble into corners.

FYI Kia played that exhibition against the USA NT pre freshman year and received a very quick lesson from Uconn alum helping Geno prepare the soon to be starter about giving up her dribble after crossing half court! I believe it was Sue and DT that forced an immediate turnover - she is a fast learner and I don't think she has done that again for Canada or for Uconn.:cool:

Reaction Score
Hard to trap a team with senior Moriah at point and Sophomore NT star Kia at off guard, and it is hard to trap 6'3" players (Lou) in the front court unless they dribble into corners.

FYI Kia played that exhibition against the USA NT pre freshman year and received a very quick lesson from Uconn alum helping Geno prepare the soon to be starter about giving up her dribble after crossing half court! I believe it was Sue and DT that forced an immediate turnover - she is a fast learner and I don't think she has done that again for Canada or for Uconn.:cool:

Any player on any team can be trapped--Muffet's teams against Uconn has proven that--even with Doty a very experienced 5th year senior was trapped. Moraih at point--is wonderful--but not when say a Frosh has the ball in her hand, that's when the trap comes.
Fast learner or not--people trained in producing a quick and effective trap --do it quick and often an to the weakest link in the team they are playing.
I would be very much depressed if any team can trap Moriah. Kia may be difficult to again trap. But Notre Dame usually goes after FRESHMEN as stated in the original posting--so any comments relating to UConn WBB players above FRESHMEN is purely argumentative and without merit.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
To me, the whole Geno doesn't like to play freshman thing is a bit overcooked.

After Sue, Swin et al (2002 NC champions) graduated to the WNBA, weren't Barbara Turner and Ann Strother (and Wilnett) freshmen on the 2003 NC yeam? :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While Lewis certainly made some 3's against Notre Dame, if we look at her freshman stats in the 4 games UConn played against the Irish we see something different.

(the bracketed numbers are the fg stats then the 3 pt breakout)
1/07/12 loss 33 mins, 7 pts (2-7, 2-5), 4 rb, 3 ass, 6 to
2/27/12 loss 20 mins 10 pts (4-8, 0-1), 0 rb, 0 ass, 1 to
3/06/12 win 30 mins 19 pts (8-14,1-4), 8 rb, 0 ass, 3 to
4/01/12 loss 36 mins 13 pts (5-13,0-3), 7 rb, 1 ass, 1 to

So in the 4 games, Lewis' 3pt stats were 3/13 ( 23%). She was 16/29 (55%) from 2.
It's something to consider when couting on Samuelson to have big 3 pt games vs Notre Dame.
ND typically played their best perimeter defender on KML and often in almost ball denial. I think that is going to be harder to do against a 6'3" player with a very quick release. It shows up in the number of 3s KML shot in those games as well - average of just over 3. But ND is also consistently one of the best defensive teams each year for a reason - they really focus on it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Any player on any team can be trapped--Muffet's teams against Uconn has proven that--even with Doty a very experienced 5th year senior was trapped. Moraih at point--is wonderful--but not when say a Frosh has the ball in her hand, that's when the trap comes.
Fast learner or not--people trained in producing a quick and effective trap --do it quick and often an to the weakest link in the team they are playing.
I would be very much depressed if any team can trap Moriah. Kia may be difficult to again trap. But Notre Dame usually goes after FRESHMEN as stated in the original posting--so any comments relating to UConn WBB players above FRESHMEN is purely argumentative and without merit.
But it is much harder to effectively trap taller players - they can see over and hold the ball above the 'speed' players who are typically not six foot and that height advantage does not depend on college experience. A lot of teams who have decent handling big players specifically use those players in the center of the court as the release valve against trapping teams.

Reaction Score
I knew I could provoke you into something! :) Muffet should have been suspended for at least 3 games for tackling KML that way. BTW, don't hate me, but you didn't answer my question. If Geno has 1 freshman and 4 AA's on the court, do you really think we are in jeopardy? Remember, it is Geno who decided to put her out there. I like every kid Geno & Co. recruits, but I know what Gabby was last year, and I know what KLS was - yeah, not college level - and I would rather have what I saw in KLS last year at the 3 than what I saw in Gabby last year at the 3. 'Til we see both in the 3 in game settings, what we are doing here and now, is just a game. My guess, just that, just like yours: Absent a really big jump for Gabby, KLS is a better 3. 4, it's Gabby all the way for now.[/QUOTE

I respect any of your opinions. I seriously doubt Geno will have any of his Freshmen at games end if the score is 60-59 with ND leading and 100 seconds to go. I agree it is Geno and only Geno who decides who shall be on the floor at any time. The admonition was just to tweek the memory that Muffet, therefore ND, that when the game is on the line she'll look for the weakest ball handler and seek to trap that one. Nothing more intended or expected. Gabby if on the floor with the other 4 expected to start--I will not be surprised if her teams works to trap Gabby.
There is nothing more that I'd like to see than for the 3 new Freshmen, Gabby, Ekmark, Soniya to hit the floor running and perform at high Div one level. But that's not the usual case, even at Uconn as we see many years.
No argument here. KLS is a good 3=4, but Gabby has a one year of Div one experience. Often time (like KML as a Frosh) there is a tendency to a bit lost at times in offense and defense.

Reaction Score
But it is much harder to effectively trap taller players - they can see over and hold the ball above the 'speed' players who are typically not six foot and that height advantage does not depend on college experience. A lot of teams who have decent handling big players specifically use those players in the center of the court as the release valve against trapping teams.
It was very hard to trap Wilt the Stilt or even the guy from Cleveland. But unfortunately Louisville trapped and mugged Senior Griner --and look what happened. Fallacious argument. Refer to the original comment about FRESHMEN being trapped.

Reaction Score
Like all the posters I am disappointed that Butler got hurt. Most of us are mainly sad for her since she was the one that put in over a year of work to get ready for this season. However, I am even more excited about the decisions to be made about starters and playing time. First, even with this injury UConn has, by far, the best returning team. Let's see---Stewie as the best player in the nation, Mo as best PG, Tuck as top 5 player and Nurse as top 5. Last year was a dominating season and the fined tuned machine is 80% returning. Yes, 3 players with International experience and a monster Tuck. Many posters feel that Geno loved the style of play last year--I agree. Who will be the 5th wheel? I think it is a simple process.

Geno has a vision of what it takes to win. I do think he will start with Gabby (Chong wouldn't fit as a third guard in this scheme.) Unless Lou or Collier play so outstanding that they outplay Gabby. IMHO Geno gives Gabby the first shot out of respect since she is a soph. Nevertheless, I think a quick hook is still in play (remember Chong & Stokes last year.) Gabby has the defense, the speed, and one year experience with the system. The one thing that could stop Gabby is if Geno is looking for more a long range shooter rather than a slasher or inside presence.

If Lou is shooting the lights out and can play minimal defense then she gets the next look. Collier is so talented and seems to be an all-around talent (she won the skills contest even against the guards in the McDonalds AA tourney) that she could adapt to whatever Geno wanted and perform at a level Geno would accept. She has a untiring motor, good defense, rebounding, and can score too.

Don't know about everyone else, but I am more interested in how this unfolds. Next man up! Remember, Stokes did not play big minutes in the South Carolina game. UConn can win with a mid-size line-up.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lewis

Who is this Lewis person? Am I on the wrong board (there's a fungo for you!)? Kay, K, KML ML but Lewis? Sorry, Alydar, just giddy because I just acquired another firearm and it's a sweetie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Your post suggests I'm touchy Broadway. I'm not. We are good and I hold your views and analysis in high esteem!

Reaction Score
Butler sustained the injury in practice two weeks ago. Eventually it was determined surgery would be required. She will be in a cast, and then rehab, to rebuild the strength in her hand and wrist, a process Auriemma expects to take at least eight weeks.

I don't understand sports injuries. Why does it take so long to determine whether surgery will be needed? I know you have to wait for the swelling to go down, yadayadayada. But aren't there better diagnostics out there? Seems the same story for Tuck and many others in many sports. Anyone have a medical explanation for this phenomenum?

Reaction Score
Who is this Lewis person? Am I on the wrong board (there's a fungo for you!)? Kay, K, KML ML but Lewis? Sorry, Alydar, just giddy because I just acquired another firearm and it's a sweetie.

I don't usually refer to people I have never met by their first names or nickname. I believe Lewis is her legal last name. As for the other thing I offer you this:

Happiness is a warm gun (Happiness bang, bang, shoot, shoot)
Happiness is a warm gun, mama (Happiness bang, bang, shoot, shoot)
When I hold you in my arms (Oo-oo oh yeah)
And I feel my finger on your trigger (Oo-oo oh yeah)
I know nobody can do me no harm (Oo-oo oh yeah)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't usually refer to people I have never met by their first names or nickname. I believe Lewis is her legal last name. As for the other thing I offer you this:

Happiness is a warm gun (Happiness bang, bang, shoot, shoot)
Happiness is a warm gun, mama (Happiness bang, bang, shoot, shoot)
When I hold you in my arms (Oo-oo oh yeah)
And I feel my finger on your trigger (Oo-oo oh yeah)
I know nobody can do me no harm (Oo-oo oh yeah)

M-L is her last name. Hyphenated. There is a youtube somewhere with her talking on the why of it. I want to thank you for cracking me up with "the warm gun"!

PS. This one will go to daughter at Christmas because she insists on camping in Griz territory. But I'll still break it in. :D

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It was very hard to trap Wilt the Stilt or even the guy from Cleveland. But unfortunately Louisville trapped and mugged Senior Griner --and look what happened. Fallacious argument. Refer to the original comment about FRESHMEN being trapped.
I would say they double and triple teamed her on offense within 15 ft of the basket and were extremely physical, but I wouldn't call that 'trapping her', nor did it cause many turnovers - BG had three for that game and averaged 2.1 for her career. Considering she touched the ball on just about every offensive set, she was not being 'trapped' as she took 10 shots and had the 3 turnovers - so she was passing the ball out of the double/triple teams something like 60 times. (Baylor shot 67 times, and had 13 additional turnovers so 80 +/- offensive possessions.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't understand sports injuries. Why does it take so long to determine whether surgery will be needed? I know you have to wait for the swelling to go down, yadayadayada. But aren't there better diagnostics out there? Seems the same story for Tuck and many others in many sports. Anyone have a medical explanation for this phenomenum?
Medicine has never been an exact science - it gets better and better but there are still a lot of mysteries involved.

With an athlete whose physical well being is an absolute necessity there are often a number of options and a few different opinions as to the best course of treatment. Because of the importance of proper function for athletes, there are also options at the very cutting edge of medicine that may not yet have a deep enough track record for them to even be considered for non-athletes.

There is also usually a 'season' and in many instances a debate whether the injury precludes playing through the 'season' and fixing it after the season or fixing it immediately and missing significant parts of the season. And with that, a certain amount of time may be required after the injury to allow things to settle down and pain thresholds and the utility of the injured area to be determined.

All of those consultations and decisions take time to work through, and it is time that generally would not be useful anyway, because you do need a certain amount of time to allow the region of the injury to get out of its traumatic state - swelling/spasms whatever - before you operate if that is the final decision.

Specific to Morgan Tuck - she could have continued to play sparingly through the season, she could have had a standard procedure, or she could have had the one she chose which does not have a long track record yet. So far it appears she made the right decision as the knee is strong and the pain has disappeared.

No idea what the options were for Butler, but I am sure there were some. She had surgery about 2 weeks after the injury so perhaps a few days longer delay than had the decision been made the day of her injury.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Any player on any team can be trapped--Muffet's teams against Uconn has proven that--even with Doty a very experienced 5th year senior was trapped.

By her 5th season Doty was a shell of her former self and at times didn't look like she belonged out there with the better UConn players. She's not a good example.

This UConn team has too many good ball-handlers and passers with vision and high BBIQ to be bothered by traps which is why no team really traps them.

Reaction Score
By her 5th season Doty was a shell of her former self and at times didn't look like she belonged out there with the better UConn players. She's not a good example.

This UConn team has too many good ball-handlers and passers with vision and high BBIQ to be bothered by traps which is why no team really traps them.
We shall see. If Geno, the Master, who knew Doty's limitations --knowing ND propensity to trap--why put her in that position 3 times??

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We shall see. If Geno, the Master, who knew Doty's limitations --knowing ND propensity to trap--why put her in that position 3 times??

You answered your question in the bolded portion of your quoted question. Geno, the Master (heh heh) knew what he was doing, ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I never said he always made the best decisions at crunch times in close games. That being the case, he didn't trust Jefferson late in tight games as a frosh. So you had Faris and Hartley and some question marks as far as handling the ball. At least the current roster options will give him more margin for error.

Reaction Score
You answered your question in the bolded portion of your quoted question. Geno, the Master (heh heh) knew what he was doing, ;)
No one said differently. Are you suggesting he wanted to lose that game?? Have a blessed day!!!

Reaction Score
I never said he always made the best decisions at crunch times in close games. That being the case, he didn't trust Jefferson late in tight games as a frosh. So you had Faris and Hartley and some question marks as far as handling the ball. At least the current roster options will give him more margin for error.
I won't argue pro or con about Geno's decision making--he is after all a Human being, and all make mistakes/errors.
You are exactly right--in this particular game, he tried Jefferson for about 3 minutes, Diggy babe swatted the ball away from her and stole it. She was pulled quickly Doty went it.
Diggins stuffed and stole that ball from Faris at least twice in one game. Hartley, as good as she was , at times was a bit out of control--don't remember her being trapped. But if you do , I won't argue.
I didn't give a guarantee that ND would trap anyone on UConn this year--only offered initially as a possiblity based on experience. If that is wrong shoot me. Have a wonderful blessed God fearing day.
Amen..(that means the end).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We have been down this road often (i.e., wondering how our Huskies will match up vs. a formidable foe). Permit me to flip the coin, so to speak and consider the challenge facing Miss Muffet: how to match up with UConn.

First, there is the 60-80 equation to deal with. Seldom do the Huskies surrender 60+ ppg and, second they normally score over 80. Somehow, we must try to reverse this equation - or at least alter the numbers in our favor.

Let's start with our defense. Four questions leap off the scouting report: How in Knute Rockne's hallowed name do we put a lid on Stewie? Moriah? Nurse? Tuck?

And who else? Williams, Collier, or a TBA? Even Butler after exposure to Raigle magic.

Hmmm. Maybe Allen on Jefferson, Turner on Tuck, Cable on Nurse, Boley on Stewie and Mabrey on Katie Lou/Collier/Williams. :confused:

Hmmm. Time for an adult drink or a bi-carb. :eek:

To be continued. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member