Natalie Butler Not Playing until Christmas | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler Not Playing until Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is amazing to read that Natalie will be missed so much when many said she would not start and only play 15 minutes. I never read where we would really need her for the ND and SC games. And I forgot the ones who said she only played against a weak Big East (compared to a great High School schedule).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How do you not get that a 6'5" post player, who can rebound, defend the rim and provide an inside presence on offense is more valuable than a 5'10" guard? Natalie will be able to lessen the load on Morgan and Breanna. Wouldn't you rather have Breanna out on the break instead of getting mauled underneath, which we all know other teams often do. They're not going to maul Natalie. The break, with her at center, could be their best ever. She's already a better defender and rebounder than Stef, though not nearly as good offensively, yet. However, with Breanna, Mo, Morgan, Kia, Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Saniya, Courtney and De'Janae, there is more of a need for a defender and rebounder and a physical presence.

She is better offensively than Dolson was as a sophomore, which is what she is. That year under her belt will prove to be very significant in a positive way, imo.

Reaction Score
I have, for quite some time, been in the camp that believes that Natalie B. likely would not start most games this season, and that Gabby W. probably would. This is not in any way to denigrate what Natalie can bring to the table, nor is it to suggest that the potential contribution of one is more important than that of the other. It is, rather, a reflection of my perception of a style to which Geno seems to have developed a great affection, with the results to show for it. Ironically, I think it was the early inconsistency demonstrated by Kiah Stokes that contributed most to this evolution in his thinking. It strikes me that he ardently loves the up-tempo transition game and likes storming out of the gate in games with his five fastest, most athletic players on the floor, even if it means sacrificing some early height advantage. Stewie said it best when interviewed in the immediate aftermath of the NC game vs. Notre Dame: "We knew they probably didn't want to run with us." I think that after jumping out to an early lead, Geno then loves to bring in his big, intimidating shot blocking and rebounding presence in the post, a very demoralizing prospect for opponents that have already fallen behind. One role is just as important as the other, which is why Geno is, understandably, publicly lamenting Natalie's temporary absence from the lineup. Could that absence cost the team in terms of a possible regular season loss, most likely vs ND? Sure, it could possibly do so. We UConn fans are so spoiled that we view such a possibility as rather catastrophic, which, of course, it isn't. Natalie's injury will not prevent her from staying in tip-top shape, and she'll be available when the important phase of the season rolls around...then, look out! While the depth and talent of this team affords Geno the luxury of bringing his Freshmen around slowly, I have a feeling that Napheesa, who, I think, is the most college-ready performer of the three right now, might be pressing Gabby hard for that starting slot as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
As most have expressed feeling badly for Butler and her missing several weeks with this thumb injury. To the debate desk we go and there will be no answer to the question of would/could/should Natalie get the 5th spot in the starting lineup on 11/16. So what can we do but move on to the remaining options, and for giggles let's say the others (Boykin, Collier, KLS, Williams, Chong, Ekmark) are all on semi equal footing. We are going to try to predict what goes on in the next near three weeks of practice and in two exhibition games and more importantly the minds of Geno and staff. Let those discussions begin. We think we know what we'll get from the returning four starters so the question is what does staff see as the need and who do they think best fills that need. My take is Gabby, Katie, or Napheesa and probably leaning toward Gabby but only by a thin margin. Time marches on to set us straight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have bodies to fill her spot, but the larger problem is that UConn would play a different game with her in. Since we won't see until December, the team loses the non-conference portion of the schedule to adjust to having her in place. I think this unfortunate injury changes her role this year and that's a shame. Still it is good that we have options. It will be interesting to see how Geno adapts. I'm guessing Gabby as the 5th starter.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Wasn't hypothesizing on why or how we don't need Butler. I definitely think we need another big in the rotation. I was just guessing Williams was gonna start out of the gate.
Aww, after all that speculation, now we'll never know who would have started. I should have given the universal answer, "It depends."

As in, it depends on who is 100% healthy. ( I think that you will find that "It depends" safely answers almost all questions.)

Reaction Score
Well that sucks. I was looking forward to finally seeing her play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is amazing to read that Natalie will be missed so much when many said she would not start and only play 15 minutes. I never read where we would really need her for the ND and SC games. And I forgot the ones who said she only played against a weak Big East (compared to a great High School schedule).
Selective memory. Most thought Natalie would start since she won the the poll. Many stated that she would be needed to specifically get Stewie out of the post against teams with big front lines like ND and South Carolina. Though we had effectively killed that weak Big East nonsense also. Natalie was the 5th best rebounder in WCBB as a Freshmen. Did anyone actually look up the conferences of the 1-4 best rebounders? Of course not, then you have to also go look up what conferences Iona, Rice, Robert Morris play in. Natalie also pull down more rebounds than Jennifer Hamson of BYU.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Selective memory. Most thought Natalie would start since she won the the poll. Many stated that she would be needed to specifically get Stewie out of the post against teams with big front lines like ND and South Carolina.
Agree. Not sure what Bgillion was remembering. Butler won the poll handily.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Read in one of the reports that she was practicing.

Thanks, I saw that too. But, as you know, there is practice and real practice and scrimmaging and ready for the bumps of a game. Distinctions lost on UT fans when discussing DD for example. :oops::rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Similar to last year. Tuck at the 5, Stewart at the 4, Nurse at the 2, Jefferson at the 1 and Williams at the 3. However it wouldn't be the spot up 3 that KML played last year, but a more slasher 3. I think Williams can get out on the break and Nurse can spot up in the transition game.

Well, only if Williams has made a big jump (no pun intended), otherwise I'd stick KLS at the 3 and ride out the freshman stuff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We have bodies to fill her spot, but the larger problem is that UConn would play a different game with her in. Since we won't see until December, the team loses the non-conference portion of the schedule to adjust to having her in place. I think this unfortunate injury changes her role this year and that's a shame. Still it is good that we have options. It will be interesting to see how Geno adapts. I'm guessing Gabby as the 5th starter.

I like the intelligence of the post, but not the 5th starter unless....see above.

Reaction Score
Well, only if Williams has made a big jump (no pun intended), otherwise I'd stick KLS at the 3 and ride out the freshman stuff.
That's what I was thinking too. If there's no serious 3 point threat, defenses will just load up down low and take their chances playing hack a mole or flopping. This is what ND did in those years they were winning the majority of the games pre-KML. KML was the ultimate lie detector: she kept defenses honest. She forced opponents to put a body on her that might otherwise be used to double someone else, and if they cheated ever so slightly, she'd drop in 6, 8, or 10 3s. We have a freshman that could be the next great defense extender which creates space for everyone else. All we need KLS to do in her freshman year is all Geno asked of KML in hers, and that's to go out and score. If you do that, then the team looks an awful lot like last year's and no one has to change position.

Reaction Score
Wasn't hypothesizing on why or how we don't need Butler. I definitely think we need another big in the rotation. I was just guessing Williams was gonna start out of the gate.

Meyers7---forgive a goof---in no way was I trying to say that you were --HYPOTHESING ABOUT BUTLER. It was a general (expecting a non directed ) comment that WE as participants on thE Boneyard can speak in nice tones why she won't be needed until DEC.

I can project a few scenarios where her presence will be needed. Against USC if Tuck and or Stewie get in foul trouble. Gabby, Boykin, Collier may help, but going against the USC front line would be tough for them. Same goes for ND with Riemer and Turner.
Butler whether she started or not could give me my crib blanket of comfort knowing she could (hopefully) hold off opposing bigs. Sorry you could take it the way you did.. No attack/offense intended.

Reaction Score
Similar to last year. Tuck at the 5, Stewart at the 4, Nurse at the 2, Jefferson at the 1 and Williams at the 3. However it wouldn't be the spot up 3 that KML played last year, but a more slasher 3. I think Williams can get out on the break and Nurse can spot up in the transition game.
The new kids could play a part but Geno likes experience, especially good proven experience, except for her long ball shooting and some lacks in defense last year (which I hope are corrected) Gabby gives Geno that experience. But don't count Collier out--as a shot or two from KLS.
But remember when the game is on the line Muffet loves to trap the inexperienced freshmen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking too. If there's no serious 3 point threat, defenses will just load up down low and take their chances playing hack a mole or flopping. This is what ND did in those years they were winning the majority of the games pre-KML. KML was the ultimate lie detector: she kept defenses honest. She forced opponents to put a body on her that might otherwise be used to double someone else, and if they cheated ever so slightly, she'd drop in 6, 8, or 10 3s. We have a freshman that could be the next great defense extender which creates space for everyone else. All we need KLS to do in her freshman year is all Geno asked of KML in hers, and that's to go out and score. If you do that, then the team looks an awful lot like last year's and no one has to change position.

Said that far better than I could ... obviously! :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But remember when the game is on the line Muffet loves to trap the inexperienced freshmen.

Geno doesn't think he has inexperienced freshmen. So, there is that. And, pray tell, what inexperienced freshman on CT is being trapped by what 2/3 Irishfolk, while the 4 experienced UConn players go get a drink of water? So, there is that, too. ;) To me, the whole Geno doesn't like to play freshman thing is a bit overcooked.

Reaction Score
Poor Natalie must want to punch something - but she better not! To practice and work hard on developing for over a year with no serious injuries and then have a kind of freak accident! Frustrating for sure but she should be at full strength when she is ready to come back.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't think he has inexperienced freshmen. So, there is that. And, pray tell, what inexperienced freshman on CT is being trapped by what 2/3 Irishfolk, while the 4 experienced UConn players go get a drink of water? So, there is that, too. ;) To me, the whole Geno doesn't like to play freshman thing is a bit overcooked.

No he didn't have an "experienced " Freshman in KML when Muffet trapped her. Then when Jefferson was a freshman, Geno yanked her quickly against ND after Digging did her diggins trick of swatting the ball away to herself from the Uconn point guard. Geno may not think them inexperienced but he plays them like he doesn't trust them. Much like the guards going to Geno at the end of the regular season saying to him "trust Jefferson". And Moriah came in a very very high level guard. Division One experience isn't gained in High School or even playing 6 USA games.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The new kids could play a part but Geno likes experience, especially good proven experience, except for her long ball shooting and some lacks in defense last year (which I hope are corrected) Gabby gives Geno that experience. But don't count Collier out--as a shot or two from KLS.

Gabby may have a year of experience but remember that Geno didn't trust her in any games against the best competition they played last year. On the other hand, he did trust Nurse, certainly more so than Chong. I think it comes down to individual players and also who the alternatives are. I would be stunned if the coaching staff doesn't realize immediately that KLS and Collier can play with the big girls already. I think Boykin will be brought along a bit slower due to being more raw offensively.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No he didn't have an "experienced " Freshman in KML when Muffet trapped her. Then when Jefferson was a freshman, Geno yanked her quickly against ND after Digging did her diggins trick of swatting the ball away to herself from the Uconn point guard. Geno may not think them inexperienced but he plays them like he doesn't trust them. Much like the guards going to Geno at the end of the regular season saying to him "trust Jefferson". And Moriah came in a very very high level guard. Division One experience isn't gained in High School or even playing 6 USA games.

I knew I could provoke you into something! :) Muffet should have been suspended for at least 3 games for tackling KML that way. BTW, don't hate me, but you didn't answer my question. If Geno has 1 freshman and 4 AA's on the court, do you really think we are in jeopardy? Remember, it is Geno who decided to put her out there. I like every kid Geno & Co. recruits, but I know what Gabby was last year, and I know what KLS was - yeah, not college level - and I would rather have what I saw in KLS last year at the 3 than what I saw in Gabby last year at the 3. 'Til we see both in the 3 in game settings, what we are doing here and now, is just a game. My guess, just that, just like yours: Absent a really big jump for Gabby, KLS is a better 3. 4, it's Gabby all the way for now.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im not really worried about the preseason without Butler out. First we won games last season by 20+. No having Natalie and we didn't have her last season will make a 20+ pt difference? I don't. Heck we might have some double digit wins but maybe not 20+. We gonna be fine. When she gets back look out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hard to trap a team with senior Moriah at point and Sophomore NT star Kia at off guard, and it is hard to trap 6'3" players (Lou) in the front court unless they dribble into corners.

FYI Kia played that exhibition against the USA NT pre freshman year and received a very quick lesson from Uconn alum helping Geno prepare the soon to be starter about giving up her dribble after crossing half court! I believe it was Sue and DT that forced an immediate turnover - she is a fast learner and I don't think she has done that again for Canada or for Uconn.:cool:

Reaction Score

While Lewis certainly made some 3's against Notre Dame, if we look at her freshman stats in the 4 games UConn played against the Irish we see something different.

(the bracketed numbers are the fg stats then the 3 pt breakout)
1/07/12 loss 33 mins, 7 pts (2-7, 2-5), 4 rb, 3 ass, 6 to
2/27/12 loss 20 mins 10 pts (4-8, 0-1), 0 rb, 0 ass, 1 to
3/06/12 win 30 mins 19 pts (8-14,1-4), 8 rb, 0 ass, 3 to
4/01/12 loss 36 mins 13 pts (5-13,0-3), 7 rb, 1 ass, 1 to

So in the 4 games, Lewis' 3pt stats were 3/13 ( 23%). She was 16/29 (55%) from 2.
It's something to consider when couting on Samuelson to have big 3 pt games vs Notre Dame.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's probably a possibility. 5 more days to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom