Moriah is NOT one of the Four Finalist for Dawn Staley Award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Moriah is NOT one of the Four Finalist for Dawn Staley Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I wonder what in the everlovin blue-eyed world their damned criteria might have been!

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I wonder what in the everlovin blue-eyed world their damned criteria might have been!

Not a UConn Husky?

Reaction Score
I guess Moriah will have to settle for being a key cog in ANOTHER national championship.

Besides, anyone who knows anything about basketball, knows who the nation's top point guard is and it isn't any of the 4 names on the Staley "watch" list.

Reaction Score
I guess Moriah will have to settle for being a key cog in ANOTHER national championship.

Besides, anyone who knows anything about basketball, knows who the nation's top point guard is and it isn't any of the 4 names on the Staley "watch" list.
As others have speculated, this award favors shooting guards, and thus I'd bet scoring is one of the main criteria. As we all know Moriah is terrible when it comes to putting the ball in the hoop which is why she never makes a 3, or even a FT, and she is not allowed to sit there and jack the ball up 30 times a game like Loyd.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
As others have speculated, this award favors shooting guards, and thus I'd bet scoring is one of the main criteria. As we all know Moriah is terrible when it comes to putting the ball in the hoop which is why she never makes a 3, or even a FT, and she is not allowed to sit there and jack the ball up 30 times a game like Loyd.
I see this complaint of Loyd's play quite a bit on this site, but Jewell does not shoot nearly as often you seem to think she does. She is averaging 15.3 shots per game for a team that needs her scoring. And despite being the constant focal point of an opponent's defense, she is shooting 47% on the year, which is very high for a guard. Once Tina graduated, Maya carried UConn scoring load the next year and shot 16.7 times per game. This year on an exceptionally well-balanced UConn team, Stewie is shooting 12.7 times per game, which is only 2.6 fewer shots per game than Loyd.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I see this complaint of Loyd's play quite a bit on this site, but Jewell does not shoot nearly as often you seem to think she does. She is averaging 15.3 shots per game for a team that needs her scoring. And despite being the constant focal point of an opponent's defense, she is shooting 47% on the year, which is very high for a guard. Once Tina graduated, Maya carried UConn scoring load the next year and shot 16.7 times per game. This year on an exceptionally well-balanced UConn team, Stewie is shooting 12.7 times per game, which is only 2.6 fewer shots per game than Loyd.
Well after all a little bit of exaggeration and hyperbole is uncommon on fan message boards ;)

Reaction Score
I know it's not quite that much. ESPN, specifically Lobo, brought this point up in last night's UConn game when comparing Stewie and Loyd for NPOY showing how even their stats were.

Reaction Score
Loyd lovers have decided that the NC is meaningless. Next she'll win the NPOY award hereby making both these awards worthless and meaningless.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately DS loses credibility by making it a personal award. Anybody watching the games can see that Moriah is the best PG. It is petty to leave her off the list.

Huh? Dawn isn't on the committee that chooses the winner, they just named it after her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Haven't been able to find anywhere the list of the members of the Phoenix Club of Philadelphia other than its founder Michael G Horsey CPA How do you know, she's not on the committee? I refuse to believe that Dawn who the award is Named after, is not a participant in some capacity. Breanna Stewart as a finalist for the award last year, makes me question the qualifications of those that are involved in the selection process.

Criteria for the Award is:
The Dawn Staley Award will be given annually to a player who exemplifies the skills that Dawn possessed throughout her career; ball handling, scoring, her ability to distribute the basketball and her will to win.

Guess Moriah doesn't have ball handling skills doesn't distribute the ball even though she has a 3 to 1 assist to turn over ratio and doesn't have the Will to Win. Guess where she falls short she doesn't score as many points as the other finalist..

Dawn is known as one of the Best PG's in WBB History and Moriah is the best PG in the country and yet doesn't make the Finalist list over players who have significantly lower Assist to Turn Over Ratio then Moriah. Moriah belongs on that list as a Finalist.

Huh? Dawn isn't on the committee that chooses the winner, they just named it after her.

Reaction Score
Jewell would be the 8th best shooter on UConn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But Husky fans know Loyd most prominently from one game where she put up 27 shots plus a bunch more that she got to the FT line on. But no, she's taking only about 3 more shots per game than Stewie on a much different type of squad.

A decent comparison for Loyd in a more similar role on a team would be with Sims last year, though Sims was much of a hybrid type guard who got a ton of assists but who also shot the ball about 22 times a game and who also went to the FT line a lot, at a slightly higher rate than Loyd. But allowing for Sims getting 8 more ppg on 7 more shots per game and getting far more assists and having a much better assist\turnover ratio and much better outside shot, Loyd is still having a year not that much below Sims last year, especially when you add in Loyd's strong rebounding.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It is the UConn trade off that Geno discussed in his show recently. Come to UConn and not get the minutes and not get the "talented kid on the team" spotlight, have great success at the next level, but get the shoulder from the awards because you don't have an entire team on your shoulders. Me, and thankfully a lot of women ballers, are keeping our eye on the prize and Mo I think will take solace in the 3rd and 4th rings.
And her # in the draft- WNBA scouts aren't stupid! Most of them anyway!

Reaction Score
Geno has said the only important awards are the ones that are earned not given. Mo will earn her third NC. That will be enough.

Reaction Score
Omitting Moriah Jefferson from this joke of an "award" renders it totally BOGUS and MEANINGLESS. If this is truly to honor the best at "ball handling, scoring, ability to distribute the basketball, and will to win," any list that does not include Mo is nothing more than a bad joke. It is irrefutable that there is NO better ball handler in WCBB than Moriah. Will to win? Mo leaves it all on the court, nobody plays harder on both ends of the court and none of the other finalists plays defense better than Moriah. I can only speculate it's an anti-UConn bias and secondarily the fact that Mo scores less than the other PRETENDERS. As per ball handling and distributing- the stats tell the truth:

Moriah Jefferson...........12 ppg...........159 assists........52 turnovers..........88 steals

Hrynko.......................... 20 ppg......... 166 assists........162 turnovers.........83 steals

Tiffany Mitchell.............14.4 ppg........85 assists..........67 turnovers..........60 steals

J.Loyd............................20.5 ppg........102 assists........83 turnovers..........50 steals

Kelsey Mitchell...............25 ppg...........136 assists........137 turnovers.........56 steals

-oh, and Staley was like the career NCAA leader in steals....that's MORIAH. period.
- the selection committee is a bunch of clueless, boobish morons with an obvious agenda and no integrity.
- win another NC, Mo, cause that's what really matters, and shut all these fools up once and for all.
- individual awards are nice. National Championships are the best !!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is very high for a guard who is shooting 15 shots a game. But I'm sure you can sympathize with our struggle to get respect for a PG who is in excess of 58%. FWIW, I think Loyd does a great job of giving your team what it needs on offense, and I wouldn't have her shoot less.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No requirement on a UCONN site to like any player on ND. It is a fan site, specifically, a UCONN fan site. Loyd is a nice player in a star system that shines a lot of light on her just like it did on Skylar. UCONN doesn't use that approach often to the detriment of players who would be the "It" player anywhere else. Even the "It" on you prefers sharing the light with everyone.

Reaction Score
The finalist are Jewel Loyd (ND), Kelsey Mitchell (OSU), Brittany Hrynko (DePaul) and Tiffany Mitchell. (So Carolina)

How is Moriah overlooked for this Award.
They're making a movie about this. It's called Dumb, Dumber and Dumbist.

Reaction Score
Omitting Moriah Jefferson from this joke of an "award" renders it totally BOGUS and MEANINGLESS. If this is truly to honor the best at "ball handling, scoring, ability to distribute the basketball, and will to win," any list that does not include Mo is nothing more than a bad joke. It is irrefutable that there is NO better ball handler in WCBB than Moriah. Will to win? Mo leaves it all on the court, nobody plays harder on both ends of the court and none of the other finalists plays defense better than Moriah. I can only speculate it's an anti-UConn bias and secondarily the fact that Mo scores less than the other PRETENDERS. As per ball handling and distributing- the stats tell the truth:

Moriah Jefferson......12 ppg......159 assists...52 turnovers.....88 steals

Hrynko...... 20 ppg.... 166 assists...162 turnovers....83 steals

Tiffany Mitchell...14.4 ppg...85 assists.....67 turnovers.....60 steals

J.Loyd........20.5 ppg...102 assists...83 turnovers.....50 steals

Kelsey Mitchell.....25 ppg......136 assists...137 turnovers....56 steals

-oh, and Staley was like the career NCAA leader in steals....that's MORIAH. period.
- the selection committee is a bunch of clueless, boobish morons with an obvious agenda and no integrity.
- win another NC, Mo, cause that's what really matters, and shut all these fools up once and for all.
- individual awards are nice. National Championships are the best !!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One last statistic, playing time, which further separates and elevates Moriah from all the rest:

Moriah............. 27.7 mpg
K Mitchell........ 37.3 mpg
T Mitchell........ 29.4 mpg
J Loyd.............. 31.4 mpg
Hrynko............. 29.3 mpg

When you factor in that Moriah played significantly fewer minutes than all the others, her numbers stand out even more. I can imagine what they might have been had Mo played Kelsey Mitchell type minutes (or played for a coach who hypes and promotes her players non-stop). It would have made the Dawn Staley Award Numbskull Committee's omission of Moriah even more obscene and ill-informed, if that's possible.

Assuming the committee is not composed of morons who have never seen a WCBB game (and that seems to be a stretch), then the only reasonable conclusion I see for keeping Moriah off is political- the UConn-haters are alive and well...and soon to be gnashing their pathetic, jealous teeth again in a few weeks.

If I were Staley, I'd kinda be ashamed to have my name on an award so blatantly given to the wrong person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc