Memphis up to no good . . . | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Memphis up to no good . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Very good point...the lack of moral consistency, particularly with the recent history of recruiting a transfer who had IIRC twice been accused of s e xual assault then petitioning the NCAA so that he can play right away, does tend to paint Coach Pastner as a bit of a hypocrite.

Why wouldn't we? Campus police determined they could not even charge him with a crime because there was no evidence. Last I looked youre innocent until proven guilty...and they couldn't even charge him with a crime.

Geron Johnson and Mike Dixon were supposed to be "trouble" yet both were model citizens at Memphis and GRADUATED with a degree.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It just looks bad.
I agree that you could make a case that the Dad deserves the job. That is not the issue. But it is like hiring your wife. It can be totally undeserved or deserved but it looks bad so most places make a rule against it. Even though this may be deserved, it should be a violation. But of course the NCAA doesn't think this issue merits the same attention of a similar parent being given a plane ticket to visit a college with a kid, or a kid getting sneakers in middle school.
I think anyone who has ever had to develop policy could see why this is a problem. But it is the NCAA not Memphis that is neglectful.
Stupid (lack of) policy by the NCAA. Happy for our forum friend Memphis and, yes, they did not break a rule. but it stinks.
BTW, the other reason why most companies don't allow nepotism is that it could really turn into a mess. It will be hard to supervise the dad of a star player(s). If he is out of control, can they just fire him? Plus families could get into nasty fights. Be careful what you hope for.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
It just looks bad.
I agree that you could make a case that the Dad deserves the job. That is not the issue. But it is like hiring your wife. It can be totally undeserved or deserved but it looks bad so most places make a rule against it. Even though this may be deserved, it should be a violation. But of course the NCAA doesn't think this issue merits the same attention of a similar parent being given a plane ticket to visit a college with a kid, or a kid getting sneakers in middle school.
I think anyone who has ever had to develop policy could see why this is a problem. But it is the NCAA not Memphis that is neglectful.
Stupid (lack of) policy by the NCAA. Happy for our forum friend Memphis and, yes, they did not break a rule. but it stinks.
BTW, the other reason why most companies don't allow nepotism is that it could really turn into a mess. It will be hard to supervise the dad of a star player(s). If he is out of control, can they just fire him? Plus families could get into nasty fights. Be careful what you hope for.

I'm not buying your nepotism argument. How is hiring a Dad as an assistant coach with no previous ties to the University of Memphis comparable to a husband hiring his wife? It really isn't. I could be wrong, but I don't recall there being a publicized major issue between a family member on the coaching staff and a recruit. Assuming the Dad would be out of control isn't fair to him since he doesn't have a record of that behavior. He just wants to move up in the coaching ranks. Just because he has sons that could get basketball scholarships to major universities doesn't mean that he doesn't have the credentials to be an assistant coach. Keelon Lawson had Vanderbilt and Tennessee coming after him. Would you have a problem if he was hired by either of those two? Now, I don't like that Keelon Lawson was parading around about how he and his sons would be a package deal but he has the credentials for the job. Nepotism has nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
I think it's a bit "un-savory" even though it's within the rules, and I don't like seeing it happen. I'm also not sure how you are supposed to prevent it. I'm also not sure its a great idea. What if son isn't playing enough for dad's liking? What if other players feel the Lawson trio get special treatment?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't we? Campus police determined they could not even charge him with a crime because there was no evidence. Last I looked youre innocent until proven guilty...and they couldn't even charge him with a crime.

Geron Johnson and Mike Dixon were supposed to be "trouble" yet both were model citizens at Memphis and GRADUATED with a degree.
Not sure what that degree from Memphis is even worth...As for on the court, both were quite detrimental to your team. Dixon pouted and whined after every non-call and was really selfish on the offensive end in key moments. Johnson was a punk on the court and couldn't shoot from the perimeter. Even Josh "wonder boy" Pastner noted that Cincinnati coaches were audibly heard saying "LET HIM SHOOT" the whole game at your place (a serious UC beatdown of Memphis).

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Yet Memphis advanced in the NCAA tourney and Cincy did not...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My point is the NCAA focuses on minutia while letting areas more important go unnoticed. If you can't see how this could be abused, I don't know what to say.
Never said the father was going to be a problem either.

Reaction Score
Go Cinci, go Memphis, getting a kick out of them coming over here and fighting it out. Good entertainment and I want more , come on guys keep it going. We need something for the summer.

Reaction Score
Hey, at least this kid’s dad is going to work for his money, unlike Cam Newton’s Dad, who was basically pimping his son.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It would be nice to get pissed at someone new for a change.

I hope we are not there long enough for that to happen. I'll stick to my old hates, thank you very much. Until we find a better home.

Reaction Score
Don't let them go- they are special and deserve a place close to your heart.
It just would be nice to feel any emotion whatsoever about our doody of a conference besides shame- anger toward other teams fans would even be better.

Reaction Score
I hope we are not there long enough for that to happen. I'll stick to my old hates, thank you very much. Until we find a better home.

Unbfortunately, we might be stuck in this new conference of ours for quite some time. As a result, we have to hope that Memphis, Cincy, Temple etc can do well enought to help ourt SOS and make for interesting / fun games.

Reaction Score
I'm not buying your nepotism argument. How is hiring a Dad as an assistant coach with no previous ties to the University of Memphis comparable to a husband hiring his wife? It really isn't.
I think the analogy would be more appropriate if it went like, this is like hiring a guy just because he has a hot wife/fiance and you want a shot at her.

But either way that's still completely overlooking the fact that dude's dad is actually a good coach so the hire makes intuitive sense even without the recruit in the equation.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

New hates are silver, old ones are gold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom