Memphis up to no good . . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Memphis up to no good . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt is Yale compared to UNC. Yes UNC has a few decent academic departments, and is generally a good school, but they allow athletics a great deal of slack simply because they bring in the money. OTOH, Vanderbilt, like Stanford, like Yale, and some other institutions, tells the athletic department to go suck eggs when they attempt to bring in academically substandard students. Yeah, this is a quid pro quo that may be in the shade of the tree at high noon, but this is not the deep in the coal mines under cover of darkness activities that occurs in some schools.

Yeah, I'm sure the football coach that bolted for PSU got only Army/Navy/Stanford/Yale type kids at Vandy.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Love how the Memphis columnist Geoff Calkins just flat said this is how we got Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans & Chris Douglas-Roberts. I don't think Calhoun was ever as OVERTLY mercenary as Calipari. We just skirted the edge ... a little. (and btw - so did Gary Williams & then he whined about it)

yep...It's easy to have morals in the best basketball conference in America...in CUSA, you do what you have to.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
if you guys didn't just lose to Harvard...HARVARD...in the first round, no less...I might take you serious.
Upsets happen, it is college basketball in March. Your joke would be a lot more funny if we didn't blow out Memphis twice last season. Get used to it, now that we are in the same league again.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Upsets happen, it is college basketball in March. Your joke would be a lot more funny if we didn't blow out Memphis twice last season. Get used to it, now that we are in the same league again.

you play for regular season wins...we play for March wins in Memphis.

kobe

Reaction Score
you play for regular season wins...we play for March wins in Memphis.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, too bad you've never gotten those wins...

Reaction Score
Okay kids, no fighting. Thank you.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
^ can't we just "hang on" to one your trophies for a while till we get one of our own? I promise we'll give it back...[/
This ain't the Stanley Cup. Seriously, it sounds like the father is fully qualified here, and it sounds like you hit a vein of gold. If we had a family like this Imwould have no problem with it, KO I'm not so sure.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not at all, just never seen a father openly lobbying for a job using his kids (this could have happened before, but this is my first time seeing this). Pretty much was just saying, hey, if another school hires me, my son will decommit from Memphis and my other sons will follow me too. No problem with kids wanting to play for their dad, though.

Same thing happened many years ago at Tennessee when Allan Houston played there. His dad was given the head coaching position, I believe. I think his name was Wade Houston.

It's definitely unethical if you apply the NCAA's usual holier-than-thou rulebook, but as usual, they selectively decide what rules to make and which situations to wink at and look the other way. Hiring a coach is one thing. Coach K hires entire families of his recruits. One of them (can't remember his name) had both his parents working as professors while he balled for Coach K. Chris Duhon's mother moved from Slidell, LA to Durham and they found her some kind of job and a nice apartment while Chris was playing. Gee, I wonder who paid the rent for her place?

The bottom line is if it helps the school make even more money off whatever program it is, who cares if they give special perks to the parents of recruits? As long as they're technically making them 'work' for the money, that is. :rolleyes:

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
So Keelon Lawson gets hired and now Dedric Lawson (his 2016 kid) is set to "announce" on Sunday. The move is paying dividends already.

kobe

Reaction Score
Sorry guys, couldn't help myself. Memphis is one of those programs I've been laughing at almost my whole life. The fan base coupled with a great history of underachieving makes it too easy.

Same thing happened many years ago at Tennessee when Allan Houston played there. His dad was given the head coaching position, I believe. I think his name was Wade Houston.
Correct. Houston was set to go to Louisville but then his father was hired to be the head coach at Tennessee. Funny enough, Wade coached for Houston's 4 years and then had a really bad season the next year (like 5-20 or something) and was fired. That entire state is shady with their hirings, I guess...

Reaction Score
Honestly...I hope Keelon pushes Josh...Josh hires former Arizona "yes men" like Jack Murphy, Jason Gardner, and even Luke Walton so they don't "rock the boat"

I don't have a problem with the hire whatsoever. You have a finite number on spots on that bench, do what you want with them. I just think it's a bad idea. I don't see "Keelon pushing Josh". I think best case Keelon sits on the bench and keeps his mouth shut. Worst case he has his sons questioning who they are actually answering to.

It's not cheating. This happens all the time. But never before with a head coach as young as Pastner and a new assistant as brash as Lawson.

And those "yes men" are far more qualified than Keelon Lawson.

Reaction Score
My title to this thread wasnt to say you guys are actually up to no good. Its obviously completely legal. I just don't like the precedent. This isnt when a head coach is already at a school and his son comes to play for him a la Doug McDermott. This just in my mind is against what the NCAA pretends its against

Precedent? Calipari with Dejuan Wagner, Self with Mario Chalmers, you can go back to Larry Brown at Kansas with Danny Manning. This is far from a precedent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A year ago, I'd call it dirty pool....

But right now, every P5 school is trying to rig the deck against Memphis and the rest of us, so .

If Memphis wants to hire a recruit's dad or mom or grandma or if they want to try to duck*ing create recruits in a test tube, I say have at it.

It's hillbilly autonomy.

Reaction Score
And for the record...Vandy and Mississippi (both desperate coaches) offered Keelon more money...he wanted to coach his sons at Memphis.

I promise you he will make as much money somehow………it's legal but it wreaks no matter only because of what dad said!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
enough, Wade coached for Houston's 4 years and then had a really bad season the next year (like 5-20 or something) and was fired. That entire state is shady with their hirings, I guess...

Don't talk about Vandy that way

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I promise you he will make as much money somehow………it's legal but it wreaks no matter only because of what dad said!

I might be in the minority, but I love what the dad said. Call a spade a spade. Don't tell me you are putting student athletes first...and then create entire fake academic programs behind my back (hi UNC). I like the 'no bullsh!tedness' of the situation.

Last edited:

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
And those "yes men" are far more qualified than Keelon Lawson.

Gotta disagree here...Jack Murphy was a video guy for the Denver Nuggets and Walton was just a player.

Lawson took Hamilton High 39-0 to an undefeated State Title...dude can coach.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I have no problem with this. However, the irony doesn't escape me that this is the coach who did not play or suspended a kid for swearing - but a $100k payoff is ok.
Very good point...the lack of moral consistency, particularly with the recent history of recruiting a transfer who had IIRC twice been accused of sexual assault then petitioning the NCAA so that he can play right away, does tend to paint Coach Pastner as a bit of a hypocrite.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Very good point...the lack of moral consistency, particularly with the recent history of recruiting a transfer who had IIRC twice been accused of s e xual assault then petitioning the NCAA so that he can play right away, does tend to paint Coach Pastner as a bit of a hypocrite.

Not commenting on the se xual assault thing, but this hiring of parent coaches isn't morally wrong. It's within the current rules, so it's perfectly legal. It's not more of a moral transgression than having 5th year grad transfers on your team. If you want to blame somebody, blame the NCAA.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't mind this one bit. UCONN needs Memphis (and others) to remain competitive for as long as possible. Any positive recruiting news for Memphis/SMU/Cincinnati/Temple, etc only helps UCONN's SOS come Tourney time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom