Memphis up to no good . . . | The Boneyard

Memphis up to no good . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually have little issue with this. Well known and good high school coach in the area, played D-I basketball, and judging by his sons, he must be pretty good at developing talent. As far as these kinds of hires go, this one is not that bad.

Reaction Score
The only problem I had with this was how open and forthcoming the dad was about his employment and his sons' recruitment. Pretty much put it out there that "if you hire me, you'll get my kids too".

Reaction Score
The only problem I had with this was how open and forthcoming the dad was about his employment and his sons' recruitment. Pretty much put it out there that "if you hire me, you'll get my kids too".

Is that weird, though? That the kids would want to play for their dad?

Reaction Score
IMO, yes. I dont know too many teenagers in general, but none want to hang out with parents all the time, even if it meant more pt.

*I like to think I was a good son though too, so if asked I would have definitely played for and helped out my dads career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone used some leverage or connection to land a better job? Sounds like everyday, real life to me.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
1) Keelon was laid-off by Hamilton due to budget cuts, so he needs a job.

2) played at UAB and LeMoyne Owen, has a college degree.

3) coached Hamilton High to an UNDEFEATED state title.

4) was offered jobs at Vandy and Mississippi. (if it's good enough for Vandy, It's good enough for us)

5) kids have made it clear: where dad goes, we go.

6) Keelon is a steal at 100k

I'm thrilled by this news.

Reaction Score
Not at all, just never seen a father openly lobbying for a job using his kids (this could have happened before, but this is my first time seeing this). Pretty much was just saying, hey, if another school hires me, my son will decommit from Memphis and my other sons will follow me too. No problem with kids wanting to play for their dad, though.

Reaction Score
There is no rules against it, and the coach is obviously talented (given his resume of success in HS), so who cares.

Smart by Memphis.

Reaction Score
Its not weird. I understand why a kid would wan to play for his dad. My issue was the coach was shopping around jobs and talking to Vanderbilt as well. I know this happens a lot but its strange to me how the NCAA basically lets a team hire a parent to get a kid. Does Memphis hire this high school coach if he doesn't have 3 top prospect sons? Thats my only point.

Reaction Score
Not at all, just never seen a father openly lobbying for a job. Pretty much was just saying, hey, if another school hires me, my son will decommit from Memphis and my other sons will follow me too. No problem with kids wanting to play for their dad, though.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think this is him threatening to lean on his kids to leave Memphis. I think it's just the reality of the situation. If he's going to be hired at a D1 school, and they can play for him, they're going to.

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think this is him threatening to lean on his kids to leave Memphis. I think it's just the reality of the situation. If he's going to be hired at a D1 school, and they can play for him, they're going to.
Maybe not in OP's article, but he was quoted as saying such here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ng-strongly-considered-for-opening-at-memphis

But Keelon Lawson made it clear last week that if he were to get a job at a college outside of Memphis, then K.J. Lawson would almost certainly decommit and follow him to that school. "With loyalty to Josh, I would ask K.J., 'Would you want to stay [with Memphis] or would you want to go with me and Dedric?'" Keelon Lawson said. "But with us being a close-knit family, you know what the answer would be. He would say, 'Dad, I'm going with you.' So, of course, K.J. would go with me, and then Dedric, and then Chandler."

Reaction Score
Maybe not in OP's article, but he was quoted as saying such here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ng-strongly-considered-for-opening-at-memphis

But Keelon Lawson made it clear last week that if he were to get a job at a college outside of Memphis, then K.J. Lawson would almost certainly decommit and follow him to that school. "With loyalty to Josh, I would ask K.J., 'Would you want to stay [with Memphis] or would you want to go with me and Dedric?'" Keelon Lawson said. "But with us being a close-knit family, you know what the answer would be. He would say, 'Dad, I'm going with you.' So, of course, K.J. would go with me, and then Dedric, and then Chandler."
so this tells me he is being hired by kentucky shortly . . .

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Here is what I think the real problem in this is. Memphis can't pay players. So Memphis pays father (perhaps more than father is worth), father gives kids money. So essentially, colleges can pay basketball and football players provided their parents at least appear qualified to coach.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There was a long thread about this the other day wasn't there? Not sure what people don't like about it. I hope KO would do the same given the same circumstances.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
And for the record...Vandy and Mississippi (both desperate coaches) offered Keelon more money...he wanted to coach his sons at Memphis.

Reaction Score
And for the record...Vandy and Mississippi (both desperate coaches) offered Keelon more money...he wanted to coach his sons at Memphis.
My title to this thread wasnt to say you guys are actually up to no good. Its obviously completely legal. I just don't like the precedent. This isnt when a head coach is already at a school and his son comes to play for him a la Doug McDermott. This just in my mind is against what the NCAA pretends its against

Reaction Score

That's pretty scummy. Whole situation is weird.

caw

Reaction Score
No problem with it happening but these things don't always work out well. A lot depends on the fathers attitude, has to be able to defer to the HC. What happens if the kid doesn't work out (not actually good enough, academics, etc). It's bad enough if it's just a vocal parent. It's worse when said parent has some power.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
No problem with it happening but these things don't always work out well. A lot depends on the fathers attitude, has to be able to defer to the HC. What happens if the kid doesn't work out (not actually good enough, academics, etc). It's bad enough if it's just a vocal parent. It's worse when said parent has some power.

Honestly...I hope Keelon pushes Josh...Josh hires former Arizona "yes men" like Jack Murphy, Jason Gardner, and even Luke Walton so they don't "rock the boat"

Reaction Score
It's scummy to say his kid would want to play for him? I don't understand what everyone's issue is with this.
I dunno. That quote doesn't really say to me "it's totally up to my kids where they'd like to go". It says "hire me or I'll take my flock elsewhere, including one of your top committed recruits"

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
IMO, yes. I dont know too many teenagers in general, but none want to hang out with parents all the time, even if it meant more pt.

*I like to think I was a good son though too, so if asked I would have definitely played for and helped out my dads career.

If you think your dad could get you to the NBA, that may change your mind...just sayin' (these kids are from a rough neighborhood)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="UCONN-NYC, post: 1015001, member: 42d. I understand why a kid would wan to play for his dad. My issue was the coach was shopping around jobs and talking to Vanderbilt as well. I know this happens a lot but its strange to me how the NCAA basically lets a team hire a parent to get a kid. Does Memphis hire this high school coach if he doesn't have 3 top prospect sons? Thats my only point.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with him shopping around for jobs? Isn't that what everyone does?

He even took less money to go to Memphis, likely because he felt most comfortable there.

Reaction Score
Here is what I think the real problem in this is. Memphis can't pay players. So Memphis pays father (perhaps more than father is worth), father gives kids money. So essentially, colleges can pay basketball and football players provided their parents at least appear qualified to coach.

If it were that simple, it would happen far more often than it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom