McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault | Page 4 | The Boneyard

McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We should always wait for the facts.

But while your post may be accurate and acceptable for what "used" to happen. Somewhere between your generation, and this generation, scuffles and fights turned in to stabbings and shootings. How many college athletes have been murdered in the past 10 years compared to the 50-60 before that? What used to end in someone getting a black eye and bloody lip, now more often ends with a group of people beating one defenseless person, or worse. Earlier I posted fights happen, and hopefully this isn't a big deal, the context was: I hope the other kid isn't hurt that bad and this was an isolated incident and he doesn't need to be kicked off the team/out of school. However, that doesn't mean the police did the wrong thing. They have to try and prevent violence, or at least keep it from escalating. We've had at least two deaths on campus in the past 10 years, nobody wants another one.

Good point, except that this event didn't involve a stabbing or a shooting. I agree that fighting is unacceptable now, just as it was when we were kids, but until we know what actually happened, it likely makes sense not to equate it with felony assault or murder.

1) 2nd degree assault IS "felony assault".

2) I didn't equate it to murder. I was simply defending the police action of making an arrest. Because fights have recently escalated into something worse, the police should take a zero tolerance policy when it comes to fights. That's not even close to equating his actions to murder.

The post I responded said it was "common sense" for the police to give someone a "harsh verbal warning" rather than making an arrest. Unless you're agreeing with that statement, you're missing my point because you don't understand the context.

My point is simple, it's absolutely prudent for the police to make an arrest (or 2, 3, ...) for fighting so they can help PREVENT those fights from escalating into something worse. That's not equating it to murder, there's no way you can reasonably interpret my post as equating his action to murder.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1) 2nd degree assault IS "felony assault".

2) I didn't equate it to murder. I was simply defending the police action of making an arrest. Because fights have recently escalated into something worse, the police should take a zero tolerance policy when it comes to fights. That's not even close to equating his actions to murder.

The post I responded said it was "common sense" for the police to give someone a "harsh verbal warning" rather than making an arrest. Unless you're agreeing with that statement, you're missing my point because you don't understand the context.

My point is simple, it's absolutely prudent for the police to make an arrest (or 2, 3, ...) for fighting so they can help PREVENT those fights from escalating into something worse. That's not equating it to murder, there's no way you can reasonably interpret my post as equating his action to murder.

Somewhere between your generation, and this generation, scuffles and fights turned in to stabbings and shootings. How many college athletes have been murdered in the past 10 years compared to the 50-60 before that? ....

We've had at least two deaths on campus in the past 10 years, nobody wants another one.

I don't disagree with the premise that the police are going to make an arrest if there is a complainent. I do disagree you linking this event with murder or stabbing (see the quoted language above.) Neither you nor I have any idea what the facts of this matter are. I stand by my suggestion that we wait for the facts before making a judgement about it.

Reaction Score
I guess my suggestion that it's appropriate for the police to make an arrest BEFORE a fight escalates into something else is too nuanced for some people to understand.

By the way, my question was how many athletes have been murdered, not how many athletes have turned into murderers. If you think I'm suggesting that McQuillan, because he got into a fight, should be equated with a murderer, you're profoundly confused. In my experience (FWIW) it's usually it's the loser of the fight that retaliates with a weapon. I'm not equating this fight with murder. But if you think the violent events that end with weapons involved don't start with a simple fist fight then you're being seriously naive and should probably just avoid the conversation.

Jazz was killed because some guys lost a fight and came back with a knife. I've seen that happen multiple times in my life, making an arrest and removing the ALLEGED aggressor(s) from the situation is always prudent. "Harsh verbal warnings" do not save lives.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess my suggestion that it's appropriate for the police to make an arrest BEFORE a fight escalates into something else is too nuanced for some people to understand.

By the way, my question was how many athletes have been murdered, not how many athletes have turned into murderers. If you think I'm suggesting that McQuillan, because he got into a fight, should be equated with a murderer, you're profoundly confused. In my experience (FWIW) it's usually it's the loser of the fight that retaliates with a weapon. I'm not equating this fight with murder. But if you think the violent events that end with weapons involved don't start with a simple fist fight then you're being seriously naive and should probably just avoid the conversation.

Jazz was killed because some guys lost a fight and came back with a knife. I've seen that happen multiple times in my life, making an arrest and removing the ALLEGED aggressor(s) from the situation is always prudent. "Harsh verbal warnings" do not save lives.

Well on behalf of all the profoundly confused and seriously naive, thanks so much for daining to explain your world view. I think I'll take your advice and opt out of this conversation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without the police report its hard to say for sure but I don't think this was 2 guys getting in a shoving match. Seems like it was more serious than that.

APA

Reaction Score
If he was tossed in April, presumably he took all "Incompletes" for spring grades. Is he academically eligible?

Reaction Score
He was charged with a felony. That's a bit beyond a simple misdemeanor and a drunken fight.

I just hope that Law Enforcement considered both the law and common sense in arriving at the charge. And I hope the judicial system does the same. The "Collateral Consequences" of a felony conviction out live the initial punishment. Essentially, Felony Conviction = You're F'cd. Just make sure it's merited.

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/what-rights-do-convicted-felons-lose/

Reaction Score
I just hope that Law Enforcement considered both the law and common sense in arriving at the charge. And I hope the judicial system does the same. The "Collateral Consequences" of a felony conviction out live the initial punishment. Essentially, Felony Conviction = You're F'cd. Just make sure it's merited.

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/what-rights-do-convicted-felons-lose/
As a reader (everyone here) we must take it at face value. It's a felony charge.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If Olander can survive arguing with police in PCB (which I saw live and was hilarious)/being kicked out of a resort while drunk for trying to sneak in plus a DUI and both suspensions that followed there is no reason McQuillan shouldn't get a second chance

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Olander can survive arguing with police in PCB (which I saw live and was hilarious)/being kicked out of a resort while drunk for trying to sneak in plus a DUI and both suspensions that followed there is no reason McQuillan shouldn't get a second chance

Again, I think it's the "felony" bit that has the powers that be a bit leery.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He played in the spring game so his issue isn't with Diaco or the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Drew said:

Those weren't felonies. Assault 2nd is.

Reaction Score
He played in the spring game so his issue isn't with Diaco or the athletic department.
The spring game was April 11 a week prior to the incident.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Really feel bad for the kid. I hope he learns from this and turns it into a defining moment and excels in whatever he chooses to do going forward. Looking back, I can name several such moments in my 20s and wish I'd realized the challenge and opportunity they presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom