McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sec. 53a-60. Assault in the second degree: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of assault in the second degree when: (1) With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or (2) with intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument other than by means of the discharge of a firearm; or (3) he recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or (4) for a purpose other than lawful medical or therapeutic treatment, he intentionally causes stupor, unconsciousness or other physical impairment or injury to another person by administering to such person, without his consent, a drug, substance or preparation capable of producing the same; or (5) he is a parolee from a correctional institution and with intent to cause physical injury to an employee or member of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, he causes physical injury to such employee or member.

Number 3 would be the most innocuous. Recklessness means he knew or reasonably should have known the potential for injury and dangerous instrument could mean pretty much anything.

Scenario: You ever heard of a situation where you/one of your friends sees how close they can swing a fist to your body before pulling back to make you "flinch"? What if McQuillan and his roommate were drunk, they were playing the made you flinch game with some sort of hard object, and McQuillan accidentally lets one fly - or maybe the friend moves into the line of fire. That seems like it would fit the definition of the crime, and surely would be pretty stupid ... but it doesn't seem so morally culpable that he should be kicked off the football team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Number 3 would be the most innocuous. Recklessness means he knew or reasonably should have known the potential for injury and dangerous instrument could mean pretty much anything.

Scenario: You ever heard of a situation where you/one of your friends sees how close they can swing a fist to your body before pulling back to make you "flinch"? What if McQuillan and his roommate were drunk, they were playing the made you flinch game with some sort of hard object, and McQuillan accidentally lets one fly - or maybe the friend moves into the line of fire. That seems like it would fit the definition of the crime, and surely would be pretty stupid ... but it doesn't seem so morally culpable that he should be kicked off the football team.

Yes this is it! This is what led to a felony charge.

Reaction Score
Yes this is it! This is what led to a felony charge.
Sarcasm. What a refreshing take.

My point was only one that you have already made - we have no idea what happened so why should anyone on this board take a stance of righteous indignation and say definitively "Kick him off the team!" or "We can't kick him off if the SEC schools wouldn't do so!"

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Uconn police have been overzealous with charges against athletes in the past.

Since when do police initiate charges against a defendant? Wouldn't that be the district attorney's office or whatever they call it in CT?

Reaction Score
I think, as has already been suggested, that judgement and resulting punishment be based on fact. Did anyone learn anything from the Duke Lacrosse mess? The whole world was pushing to immediately execute college athletes and a coach was forced to resign; mostly because he believed his players, and said so.

In the end, it was B.S. A damn Prosecutor was disbarred..disbarred for Christ sake!

If the player's guilty, he should be punished. That punishment should be consistent with punishment any other student would get for the same transgression. No more, no less. Athletes should not be favored by the justice system. Nor should they be treated more harshly.

Agree. The problem is of course is that while 99% of all college athletes across all sports and all divisions I/II/III) abide by the law and receive no such favoritism, that 1% who royally screw-up in college, get caught, slapped on the wrist because of what they do on the field (and generate $$ off), and then repeat ruins it for the rest.

Reaction Score
Well, motor vehicle case in court could be anything from a DUI down to a parking ticket hearing. I seriously doubt it's something at the level of a DUI or else someone would've reported it by now, probably more along the lines of excessive moving violations of some kind.
No. The file is statutorily sealed. That means it was something. Either DUI or a crime for which accelerated rehabilitation was granted. Impossible to tell which due to the sealing. Hopefully it is not AR, because that would make it unavailable for the current assault charge. Also interesting that the family is not using the typical UConn athletic department law firm of Rome McGuigan and is using Wynne Law Group instead. Not sure what that means . . .

Reaction Score
Since when do police initiate charges against a defendant? Wouldn't that be the district attorney's office or whatever they call it in CT?
No. Police do it.

Reaction Score

That could have happened. Or maybe this:
Scenario. The tooth fairy breaks into the apartment and tries to steal teeth from the roommates mouth causing all kind of damage. To throw the cops off the scent he/she leaves a few teeth and Sacajowea dollar coins on McQullan's bed, leading them to arrest him rather than the true culprit. It could have happened that way. UConn cops would have been easy to fool, no?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Scenario. The tooth fairy breaks into the apartment and tries to steal teeth from the roommates mouth causing all kind of damage. To throw the cops off the scent he/she leaves a few teeth and Sacajowea dollar coins on McQullan's bed, leading them to arrest him rather than the true culprit. It could have happened that way. UConn cops would have been easy to fool, no?
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:

Aliens. I don't think anyone really expected them to stop at anal probing.

Reaction Score
The tooth fairy breaks into the apartment and tries to steal teeth from the roommates mouth causing all kind of damage. To throw the cops off the scent he/she leaves a few teeth and Sacajowea dollar coins on McQullan's bed ....

Many assume the tooth fairy is female. Glad to see you are keeping an open mind. Thus the "like" :)

Reaction Score
Cool story.

Again... when I read that charge, one million different things popped into my head that could fit the definition of the crime and not be that bad. By the same token, there are a million things that would be horrendous. But we don't know. So why even pretend to act like we do?

Reaction Score
This is pretty serious stuff. Unless the fight was over a video game (particularly NBA Jam), he deserves to be tossed. If it was a fight over NBA Jam, I could be a little more understanding. Who hasn't gotten into a fight with a roommate while playing NBA Jam?

I thought I was going to be dead after beating my 250 lb Samoan suite-mate in Super Mario Strikers for the 10th time in a row. Half field shot for the tie to go into the OT as the clock wound down and then just demoralized him in OT. Probably had it coming.

Reaction Score
HuskyFan16 said:
Cool story.

Again... when I read that charge, one million different things popped into my head that could fit the definition of the crime and not be that bad. By the same token, there are a million things that would be horrendous. But we don't know. So why even pretend to act like we do?

If it wasn't that bad it would be assault 3, not 2. Someone will get a hold of the police report soon enough.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't that bad it would be assault 3, not 2. Someone will get a hold of the police report soon enough.
Most assault 3s on rap sheets start out as assault 2s and get subbed down. That is pretty standard stuff.

Reaction Score
noeynox said:
Most assault 3s on rap sheets start out as assault 2s and get subbed down. That is pretty standard stuff.

I wouldn't say most assault 3s (most assault 3s I see are domestics), but I do see them subbed alot. I am assuming this is his first criminal case, so if the victim is agreaable, I am sure it will get subbed. Still interested to see the police report.

Reaction Score
A football player getting in a fight - big deal - next play

I hope that's all it is.

(Note: I'm not talking about abuse or bullying. Those that prey on the weak should be hammered. )

I'm older and my evolving perspective is that there is an over reaction to anything perceived to be even remotely violent. Back in the day, scuffles broke out all the time in High School and/or College. Sometimes scuffles and shoving matches became fights. Mostly, things ended when a person of authority or peers told the antagonists to knock it off. The only time I remember cops being involved was during things like football games. Then, all the cops did was separate the antagonists and provide a harsh an d threatening verbal warning. No hand cuffs, no charges, indictments, arraignments or expulsions. Common sense was allowed to prevail.

Now, it seems that cops show up, in force, and Cablevision sends a crew of panting reporters who can't wait to set themselves up in front of a backdrop that includes a recognizable High School or College building and some number of cop cars with flashing lights. The next day, the Hearst Papers present a headline and picture (same building and cop cars). The actual article will describe nothing more than a simple fight between two unarmed, teenage males, both of whom, by the way, are said to be suspended and awaiting court dates.

Oh, I almost forgot. If one or both are athletes, the Code of Hammurabi becomes the operative standard. Punishment to be performed in a Riyadh, Saudi Arabia square, news at 11:00PM.;):rolleyes:

That's why I suggest waiting for facts.

Reaction Score
I hope that's all it is.

(Note: I'm not talking about abuse or bullying. Those that prey on the weak should be hammered. )

I'm older and my evolving perspective is that there is an over reaction to anything perceived to be even remotely violent. Back in the day, scuffles broke out all the time in High School and/or College. Sometimes scuffles and shoving matches became fights. Mostly, things ended when a person of authority or peers told the antagonists to knock it off. The only time I remember cops being involved was during things like football games. Then, all the cops did was separate the antagonists and provide a harsh an d threatening verbal warning. No hand cuffs, no charges, indictments, arraignments or expulsions. Common sense was allowed to prevail.

Now, it seems that cops show up, in force, and Cablevision sends a crew of panting reporters who can't wait to set themselves up in front of a backdrop that includes a recognizable High School or College building and some number of cop cars with flashing lights. The next day, the Hearst Papers present a headline and picture (same building and cop cars). The actual article will describe nothing more than a simple fight between two unarmed, teenage males, both of whom, by the way, are said to be suspended and awaiting court dates.

Oh, I almost forgot. If one or both are athletes, the Code of Hammurabi becomes the operative standard. Punishment to be performed in a Riyadh, Saudi Arabia square, news at 11:00PM.;):rolleyes:

That's why I suggest waiting for facts.

We should always wait for the facts.

But while your post may be accurate and acceptable for what "used" to happen. Somewhere between your generation, and this generation, scuffles and fights turned in to stabbings and shootings. How many college athletes have been murdered in the past 10 years compared to the 50-60 before that? What used to end in someone getting a black eye and bloody lip, now more often ends with a group of people beating one defenseless person, or worse. Earlier I posted fights happen, and hopefully this isn't a big deal, the context was: I hope the other kid isn't hurt that bad and this was an isolated incident and he doesn't need to be kicked off the team/out of school. However, that doesn't mean the police did the wrong thing. They have to try and prevent violence, or at least keep it from escalating. We've had at least two deaths on campus in the past 10 years, nobody wants another one.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We should always wait for the facts.

But while your post may be accurate and acceptable for what "used" to happen. Somewhere between your generation, and this generation, scuffles and fights turned in to stabbings and shootings. How many college athletes have been murdered in the past 10 years compared to the 50-60 before that? What used to end in someone getting a black eye and bloody lip, now more often ends with a group of people beating one defenseless person, or worse. Earlier I posted fights happen, and hopefully this isn't a big deal, the context was: I hope the other kid isn't hurt that bad and this was an isolated incident and he doesn't need to be kicked off the team/out of school. However, that doesn't mean the police did the wrong thing. They have to try and prevent violence, or at least keep it from escalating. We've had at least two deaths on campus in the past 10 years, nobody wants another one.
Good point, except that this event didn't involve a stabbing or a shooting. I agree that fighting is unacceptable now, just as it was when we were kids, but until we know what actually happened, it likely makes sense not to equate it with felony assault or murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom