Maya vs. Diana | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maya vs. Diana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Let me clarify that I meant (though wasn't specific) that have there been a two "man" race in any given year to MVP in the WNBA where both in the running were from the same college? Or is this the first time the stars have so aligned?

just curious...

More work to do, but here are the WNBA MVP votes from 2007-2013. So far, no two players from the same college program have gone 1-2 in the voting, but there have been a number of instances where two from the same program have been among the top five. I also would not place too much stock on the current favorites based upon punditry and the WNBA blog:

2007 Jackson Hammon Taurasi Catchings Nolan
2008 Parker Whalen Bird Young Taurasi
2009 Taurasi Catchings Douglas Pondexter Hammon
2010 Jackson Catchings Pondexter Taurasi Langhorne
2011 Catchings Charles Fowles Bird Whalen
2012 Charles Parker Catchings Moore Augustus
2013 Parker Moore Delle Donne Fowles McCoughtry

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Saturday will be the first time that both teams have been at full strength when they face each other, now that Minny has all their players back and Phoenix will have Erin Phillips. Saturday's game will likely tell us more about each team than the game in Minny.

I don't think either team played their best in the last game so hopefully both teams will show up ready to play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let me clarify that I meant (though wasn't specific) that have there been a two "man" race in any given year to MVP in the WNBA where both in the running were from the same college? Or is this the first time the stars have so aligned?

just curious...

DT and Maya are now men?

Reaction Score
It is going to take much more effort to get the results from the first two years, but the information already gathered does answer the question:
1999- Griffith Swoopes Cooper Leslie Williams
2000- Swoopes Leslie Griffith Williams Cooper
2001- Leslie Thompson Griffith Smith Phillips
2002- Swoopes Leslie Catchings Holdsclaw Bird
2003- Jackson Catchings Leslie Smith Cash
2004- Leslie Jackson Taurasi, Thompson(tied for 3rd) Catchings
2005- Swoopes Jackson Catchings Griffith McWilliams-Franklin
2006- Leslie Taurasi Douglas Jackson Catchings

Lisa Leslie and Tina Thompson from the University of Southern California ran 1-2 in 2001.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It is going to take much more effort to get the results from the first two years, but the information already gathered does answer the question:
1999- Griffith Swoopes Cooper Leslie Williams
2000- Swoopes Leslie Griffith Williams Cooper
2001- Leslie Thompson Griffith Smith Phillips
2002- Swoopes Leslie Catchings Holdsclaw Bird
2003- Jackson Catchings Leslie Smith Cash
2004- Leslie Jackson Taurasi, Thompson(tied for 3rd) Catchings
2005- Swoopes Jackson Catchings Griffith McWilliams-Franklin
2006- Leslie Taurasi Douglas Jackson Catchings

Lisa Leslie and Tina Thompson from the University of Southern California ran 1-2 in 2001.

So it did happen before. Thanks for taking a look back and gathering this information!

Reaction Score
So it did happen before. Thanks for taking a look back and gathering this information!

You are more than welcome. It could have have happened in 1998(still working on it), it did not happen in 1997(have the first three, still looking for the top five vote getters).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Are we sure this conversation should not be Maya vs Griner? Maya is number one in Efficiency at 26.5 and BG is second at 22.6. Per 40 minutes, Maya has an efficience rating of 30.09 and BG is at 29.48. The two have the most overall impact, it wold appear.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Are we sure this conversation should not be Maya vs Griner? Maya is number one in Efficiency at 26.5 and BG is second at 22.6. Per 40 minutes, Maya has an efficience rating of 30.09 and BG is at 29.48. The two have the most overall impact, it wold appear.

Check with Lobo - she's on Twitter

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Why is it so difficult to make stats line up on this board?

The only way I've been able to get it done is to enclose the things you want to line up in code tags: [ CODE ] and [ \ CODE ], (but without the spaces). It uses a monospace (equally-spaced) font and doesn't remove duplicate spaces.

Like so:
Code:
iiiii     iiiii
xxxxx     xxxxx     xxxxx
          yyyyy     yyyyy
                    zzzzz

well, that didn't work -- I've obviously forgotten something.

Ah, there we go

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only way I've been able to get it done is to enclose the things you want to line up in code tags: [ CODE ] and [ \ CODE ], (but without the spaces). It uses a monospace (equally-spaced) font and doesn't remove duplicate spaces.

Like so:
Code:
iiiii     iiiii
xxxxx     xxxxx     xxxxx
          yyyyy     yyyyy
                    zzzzz

well, that didn't work -- I've obviously forgotten something.

Ah, there we go

Thank you, though not sure I totally comprehend.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Thank you, though not sure I totally comprehend.
When you enclose text in code tags, the text between the tags is rendered in a monospace font, meaning that all characters have the same width. So you can arrange things in columns by putting the appropriate number of spaces between the items. This doesn't work in normal text because a proportional font (where different characters are different widths) is used by default and the bulletin board system removes what it considers "extra" spaces. But the text between code tags is left alone.

So, to create the example above, I entered this:

[co#e]
iiiii*****iiiii
xxxxx*****xxxxx*****xxxxx
**********yyyyy*****yyyyy
********************zzzz
[/co#e]

where '#' represents a 'd' and '*' represents a space.

When you type it into your response it will look wrong, because a proportional font is used in the editor. You can see that 'i' is narrower than 'x' or 'y' above. But you can hit the "preview" button to see what it will actually look like when it's posted and make any needed corrections.

Reaction Score
This statement is very true.

"Moore is a special player, don't get me wrong. But most of her production these days is still the same as it has always been: spot-up jumpers and transition buckets. Moore has seen the ball more in post-ups and working for o-boards but she's still not a player whom you give the ball immediately at the end of games. If you look closely, she may sometimes be the option but it's usually some form of Augustus/Whalen/Wright/White handling the ball and Moore receives the ball off action. In Phoenix, you know the ball is going to be in Taurasi's hand with her calling the shots, and still, you can't stop it."

It would be interesting to know how many minutes each player has had the ball in her hands. DT runs the show in Phoenix, which is done by Whalen in Minnesota. Maya simply doesn't have the same amount of responsibility that DT has.

Many, many years ago the media, the pundits, and the fans would often criticize the play of the great Jim Brown; All he could do was run the football. He did not run good pass routes, was not a good receiver, and, among other things, he did not block very well. Brown, always insightful, when eventually asked about the criticisms leveled at him, stole an old quote when he responded, "And all Caruso could do was sing."

Reaction Score
Yeah they're both UConn grads so either way we fans win :D

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Are you aware Diana set yet another WNBA first this year?

First to have lead the league in both points scored and assists over a season (not the same year).

Maya's 812 points for the regular season is third all-time, after Diana (860) and....Diana (820)

Congrats to Maya for yet another-well deserved honor. (I'd have felt the same way if Dee won it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom