Maya vs. Diana | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maya vs. Diana

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm calling a truce with that statement. Both are worthy of the MVP award, just for different reasons that are hard to compare.

I'm just glad I am arguing for a UCONN player or I would be run off of this board. The only way to argue against Maya is with another UCONN grad.

That's cool, but where in these last few posts was I challenging your (or anyone's) opinion that DT should be MVP? As I did the other day, I was simply pointing out what I saw as a (significant) error in the characterization of Maya's play this year. Everyone has their own opinion of who's best, who deserves it, etc. I am saying that Maya's production this season is much, much broader and more varied than just "jumpers and transition."

Even if one accepts this is as a better characterization (and no one has to, I'm just arguing for it), one can still disagree with respect to the MVP award. Which is as it should be. :)

Reaction Score
I'd vote Taurasi over Moore at this point. Phoenix went from a 19-15 team last year to 21-3. Moore has been outstanding but when you have a team that has been so dominant like Phoenix, I feel that the MVP almost has to go to the best player on that team, and that player is Taurasi (although Griner is having an outstanding sophomore season as well, averaging 16 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 assists and 59% FG).

Minnesota is only two games back of Phoenix with injuries to key players. Phoenix underachieved last year, which is why their record is much improved. If D was on Minnesota and Maya was on Phoenix, do you think Minnesota would be only two games back, and would Phoenix be where they are with Maya? I suspect Phoenix would have done as well with Maya, but Minnesota would not be doing as well with D.

Reaction Score
DT is playing the perfect season. She is 6th in scoring and is number 1 in assists, and her team has won 16 games in a row. And you simply cannot put a stat to her leadership. If you only look at stats, you will say that Maya is the MVP. But if you watch what each is doing for her team on and off the court, DT wins.

Maya has put up some big number out of necessity and now that Augustus and Brunson are back I suspect that her numbers will drop considerably. Yes, Maya is scoring more points, but Maya is taking more shots than any other player in the league. DT has relatively equal or better stats than Maya in most offensive categories, except in 3 point shooting, where DT is considerably more accurate.

Shots Per Game
DT: 11.64
Maya: 18.34

FG%
DT: 48.1
Maya: 48.0

FT %
DT: 88.1
Maya: 87.2

3-point %
DT: 41.4
Maya: 33.8

How about what Maya is doing for a team with serious injuries to key players while also having three rookies on the roster.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
P.S.

The world's best player with the ball in her hands is Diana Taurasi.

The world's best player without the ball (not trying for humor) is Maya Moore.

Hmmm. I'd still rather have DT take the shot at the end of a game (ball in hand or no). 100 times out of 100.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How about what Maya is doing for a team with serious injuries to key players while also having three rookies on the roster.

I have acknowledge that she is carrying a team depleted by injuries. She is doing it by shooting a lot and scoring a lot and keeping her team in contention.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Minnesota is only two games back of Phoenix with injuries to key players. Phoenix underachieved last year, which is why their record is much improved. If D was on Minnesota and Maya was on Phoenix, do you think Minnesota would be only two games back, and would Phoenix be where they are with Maya? I suspect Phoenix would have done as well with Maya, but Minnesota would not be doing as well with D.

I prefer not to make an MVP choice based on "if they switched teams." But, no, Phoenix would not be doing as well because DT is playing PG for Phoenix, a position that I do not believe Maya is capable of playing at a championship level. And, yes, I belive that DT would have Minnesota in the same position.

What I think sets DT apart, as Carolyn Peck said, so it must be true, is what's "between the ears." I think she has the highest basketball IQ in the world and she is using that to make her teammates better.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hmmm. I'd still rather have DT take the shot at the end of a game (ball in hand or no). 100 times out of 100.

At the end of a game, DT would be the one that I want bringing the ball down court and running the offense, whether she takes the last shot or not. I cannot say that about Maya because her ball handling skills and passing skills are not on the same level as DT's. Both have almost identical FG%, but if you need a 3-pointer, DT is the choice since she is shooting considerably better from behind the arc.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Good thing is that we get to see Phoenix and Minnesota play tonight with Maya and DT on the court together. What a treat this game should be. Brunson returned playing like she has never been, and I suspect that Augustus will do the same.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good thing is that we get to see Phoenix and Minnesota play tonight with Maya and DT on the court together. What a treat this game should be. Brunson returned playing like she has never been, and I suspect that Augustus will do the same.

I never watch the WNBA, but I might actually tune in for this. UCONN power.

Reaction Score
Is it D's responsibility to rebound? Is it D's responsibility to bang in the post on defense? Is it D's responsibility to carry the burden for scoring? Maya has had to do more of that than D. With Griner on the back end, a lot of mistakes can be erased, and she makes life a lot easier for D. Maya doesn't have the luxury of having 6'8" in the post to pass to, around the basket to block shots and rebound. And easttexastrash, if you think that's all to Maya's game then you have missed some absolutely incredible, athletic drives. Open your eyes the next time the Lynx play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is it D's responsibility to rebound? Is it D's responsibility to bang in the post on defense? Is it D's responsibility to carry the burden for scoring? Maya has had to do more of that than D. With Griner on the back end, a lot of mistakes can be erased, and she makes life a lot easier for D. Maya doesn't have the luxury of having 6'8" in the post to pass to, around the basket to block shots and rebound. And easttexastrash, if you think that's all to Maya's game then you have missed some absolutely incredible, athletic drives. Open your eyes the next time the Lynx play.

It seems that we may both need to open our eyes as you don't seem to be giving DT much credit for what she does. IMO, DT does more than Maya due to the fact that DT is the general on the floor. Maya has someone to do that so she can just play ball. DT is responsible for most of the things that Phoenix does on offense.

Like I said before, both do incredible things for their respective teams. They are not asked to do the same things, but for every thing you list that Maya is asked to do, there is an equally important task for DT.

Like I said, JMO.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

This is not germane to the MVP discussion, but your ending assertion is ludicrous. You really think with two of the best point guards in BB -- one of them also among the best 2-guards -- Minny's team would be worse? With the 2 of them feeding Wright (and everyone else) in Maya's absence? Oy.

I agree with whoever said the MVP should be the player -- on a high-achieving (not necessarily the champion) team -- without who they wouldn't have been able to achieve what they did. That doesn't mean I can decide between the 2 of them at this point, though. Might have to agree to split the award in the end...

There's a lot of talk about Diana's adamantine will to win in this thread. She's always had it, but I think it's edge was stropped against Sue Bird when they played together. Sue is a widely-noted do-anything-to-win personality on -- and off -- the court. Their practices & pick-up games must have been epic.

Reaction Score
I prefer not to make an MVP choice based on "if they switched teams." But, no, Phoenix would not be doing as well because DT is playing PG for Phoenix, a position that I do not believe Maya is capable of playing at a championship level. And, yes, I belive that DT would have Minnesota in the same position.

What I think sets DT apart, as Carolyn Peck said, so it must be true, is what's "between the ears." I think she has the highest basketball IQ in the world and she is using that to make her teammates better.

I said switch teams not positions. Do you really think that Maya wouldn't start for Phoenix at her position? Without Griner on her team, and without Griner in the low post to throw the ball to, and without Griner to block shots, and without Griner to alter shots and without Griner to rebound you have to be kidding if you think the Lynx would be in the same position as they are now. Also, D would not be the point guard; Lindsay Whalen would be the point guard.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I said switch teams not positions. Do you really think that Maya wouldn't start for Phoenix at her position? Without Griner on her team, and without Griner in the low post to throw the ball to, and without Griner to block shots, and without Griner to alter shots and without Griner to rebound you have to be kidding if you think the Lynx would be in the same position as they are now. Also, D would not be the point guard; Lindsay Whalen would be the point guard.

You have convinced me! BG for MVP!!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
Rebecca Lobo ‏@RebeccaLobo 2h
WNBA MVP is a two-person race : Taurasi and Maya Moore. After their head-to-head last week, I'm now leaning Moore.

Geno Auriemma ‏@genoauriemma 1h
@RebeccaLobo there's going to be three winners: co MVPs and UCONN basketball.

he has every reason to be proud! he has established such a tradition of greatness and consistency, and a great example of it is seen right here in this MVP race.

Is this the first time in the WNBA that there is an MVP race just between two players who happened to be former students of the same college basketball program?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
he has every reason to be proud! he has established such a tradition of greatness and consistency, and a great example of it is seen right here in this MVP race.

Is this the first time in the WNBA that there is an MVP race just between two players who happened to be former students of the same college basketball program?

Cynthia Cooper and Lisa Leslie had a few overlapping years.
Candace Parker and Tamika Catchings are still playing high level ball.
Tina Charles won it two seasons ago which gives UConn a viable third entry.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Cynthia Cooper and Lisa Leslie had a few overlapping years.
Candace Parker and Tamika Catchings are still playing high level ball.
Tina Charles won it two seasons ago which gives UConn a viable third entry.

Let me clarify that I meant (though wasn't specific) that have there been a two "man" race in any given year to MVP in the WNBA where both in the running were from the same college? Or is this the first time the stars have so aligned?

just curious...

Reaction Score
If Diana Taurasi wins the WNBA MVP this season, it will be the first time a point guard has ever been so honored. Based solely on that criteria, it is a somewhat useless argument to point out that a PG, having more responsibility, should be given more consideration.

The inside out combination of an emerging Brittney Griner and the great Diana Taurasi makes Phoenix an outstanding team as witnessed by their record. but, until they beat a healthy Minnesota team at full strength, I will not be sold on Phoenix being the best team, which in turn, defeats the argument of the best player on the best team.

Diana Taurasi is having an MVP season because she is outstanding, her teammates are playing well, Brittney Griner is an emerging superstar, her team is winning, and her stats are beyond good. I wish her well in this year's MVP race.

My opinion: I do not believe Ms Taurasi's outstanding play this year is the defining difference for Phoenix's success. She has been outstanding every year and is no better this year than last or the year before. Phoenix's success this year has more to do with Brittney Griner's emergence and the fact that Los Angles just is not the team most of us and the pundits thought they would be.

Reaction Score
Let me clarify that I meant (though wasn't specific) that have there been a two "man" race in any given year to MVP in the WNBA where both in the running were from the same college? Or is this the first time the stars have so aligned?

just curious...

working on it:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member