Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He was -11 and horrendous in defense. But I agree, I’d put them both in for the zone or play Clingan a lot longer. They had their studs on the bench with 4 fouls

This. -11 in a 2 point game. You have to effective on both ends.

Reaction Score
I think that this is the clearest explanation for not calling the timeout. Newton just didn't see him. The decision to not call a timeout gives this board all the material it needs until tomorrow night, when many of you will be able to move on to predicting a first round upset.
I remember a game earlier in the year where it was a similar (albeit much less significant) situation. Chaotic possession near the end of a close game. Hurley called TO right as Hawkins was lifting up for a shot. Hawkins nailed the shot, but the TO was granted and negated the basket. We ended up missing after the TO

I’m in the camp that Hurley should have used the TO, but maybe that was running through his head. Hawkins actually created some space, but Jones had great recovery defense

Reaction Score
Nope. It will be tough to watch us going down to a 13 seed. Sure key players didn’t have good games tonite but it was still there for the taking. Where was Clingan at the end of the game? 30+ games in and the coach still has no clue….timeouts, subs, just awful…
Hurley didn't go 4-22 from the field. Newton and Hawkins did. Hurley didn't get in early foul trouble and become a non-factor for the rest of the night. Jackson did. If Joey's pull-up 3 in transition goes down, Hurley's a genius. Stop it.

Next week is coming. I'm looking for the second weekend and hoping for more.

Like Mike Eruzione says, "A couple inches to the left and I'd be painting bridges."

Reaction Score
It means nothing without any hardware and no NCAA tournament success. There's a ton of pressure on Hurley to make it out of the first weekend next week. We certainly have the team to go much further it's why so many people are picking us for the final 4 but he just has to make it out of the first weekend which shouldn't be difficult to do with this group.
I agree that we have to get out of the first weekend. When we tip it up for the second round game, the pressure on this group will be immense.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I agree that we have to get out of the first weekend. When we tip it up for the second round game, the pressure on this group will be immense.

Maybe the pressure wouldn’t be so bad if people weren’t all over their back every time something went bad. Maybe be positive. Maybe try helping.

Reaction Score
I’m definitely blaming Hurley for the loss, precisely because Clingan only got 10 minutes. It was quite evident to me how Clingan changed the dynamics of the game in UConn’s favor when he was in there.

Marquette didn’t just start scoring when Sanogo came back late in the second half. We shut them down even with Clingan out.

Reaction Score
So shooting 9/15 from the charity line wasn't the issue? What about 28% from the 3 point line?
You can take your numbers and shove’m. I know what I saw, Clingan only playing 10 minutes handed the game to Marquette. He completely changed the dynamic of the game in UConn’s favor when he was on the floor by stretching Marquette’s man to man and getting our shooters open (which didn’t happen when Sanogo was in), and “Chief” said it best when he said “Clingan played well and the team suffered when he came out. Tonight would have been perfect to try Sanogo and Clingan on the floor together.” Maybe you should ask yourself why we were only 28% from three which occurred almost entirely with Clingan on the bench.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Miller inherited a talented, veteran roster and added an experienced guard out of the portal. Hurley inherited a dumpster fire. Stop it.
Does that argument still hold water in year 5? You’re purposefully ignoring what he’s pointing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom