Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I mean you answered your own question. The volume and difficulty of his shots is what makes him one of the best shooters in the country. It's impressive to go 2/5 from 3 on wide open kick outs and pick and pops. It's a whole nother animal to go the equivalent of 4/11 with a defense keying against you entirely. The number of people that can do that (and defend at a high level) is like 5 people in the country.

Even though it's only 2 made on 6 additional shots, the impact and what it creates for your offense by warping the defense is a huge difference. And one of the tenets of the skill/usage curve is that each additional shot attempt you average is harder than the previous ones.

But he's entering a mini slump at the worst time of the season. Hopefully he can lock back in for the NCAAs.
I always wondered what Einstein would have felt if he was forced to teach addition to first graders. Since he isn’t around to enlighten us perhaps you could explain what it feels like to participate in a discussion with us dinglehoppers!

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Don't get why we didn't see DC again. No player fears Sanogo when he's on defense. Hurley could even have put both of them out there for a bit. Would like to know the +/- differential was when DC was on the floor.
If you saw the difference between Sanogo and Clingan you’d want Hurley fired

Reaction Score
The next time we have the potential to lose to a 2 seed would likely be in the elite 8. Lost by 2, playing our C- game. It's useless tryi
That may be true but in March unless you bring your A game you’re a loser and you go home.
A shaky Marquette was trying to hand us the game on a silver platter and we said no thank you .
Winners take advantage of what they’re given

Reaction Score
Guy it was a 2 point margin and UConn had the ball with a chance to win on the last possession. Implying that it was some kind of comfortable Marquette win is just more Boneyard silliness.
The last time we led in the game was with 2:31 left in the 1st half. We couldn't grab the lead a single time in the 2nd half with Kolek, Joplin, AND Ighodaro all being in foul trouble. Game might've been close, but it never felt at any point in that 2nd half like we were going to win it.

Reaction Score
Lol are people really blaming Hurley for this? They lost because the core guys sucked. It happens - give us a 4 seed and let’s go.
And we’re saying that we lost by one basket and Clingan played the least of all the players. Do you remember the play where it was .2 players under the basket and the one Sanogo was guarding passes the ball to the other and Sanogo gave up on the play and just stood there and watched, he didn’t move, he just stood there and passively watched the guy score. There’s your gasket. Calhoun would’ve pulled him off the court for the rest of the game. Send a message, play harder or you don’t play. No discipline no accountability. Terrible coaching.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
That may be true but in March unless you bring your A game you’re a loser and you go home.
A shaky Marquette was trying to hand us the game on a silver platter and we said no thank you .
Winners take advantage of what they’re given
Fine. I mean we always say no thank you in these tight games, and that IS discouraging. This teams ID is what it is. They still have an opportunity to change the narrative.

What isn't discouraging is the state of the program, and the talent level on this team. Talent and a little luck wins the dance. And we have the talent. Not sure what happened to our defense and inability to hit the open shot tonight, but we should get better on a neutral floor away from these refs. (Though tonight Refs were good enough)

My post was regarding the irrational hate Hurley gets on this board. We are better this year than last, and got better last year. And next year we have an incredible, youthful foundation o continue to build from.

caw

Reaction Score
The last time we led in the game was with 2:31 left in the 1st half. We couldn't grab the lead a single time in the 2nd half with Kolek, Joplin, AND Ighodaro all being in foul trouble. Game might've been close, but it never felt at any point in that 2nd half like we were going to win it.
It was tied at 64 with 6:30 to go and you thought UConn had zero chance to win?

Reaction Score
It was tied at 64 with 6:30 to go and you thought UConn had zero chance to win?
No, because only a few moments later they proceeded to drain yet another wide open 3.

Reaction Score
The play of AJax and Newton left A LOT to be desired... Clingan did his best imitation of Wilt by not being able to sink an FT... And on, and on...we all know the rest...make those missed FTs and they win the game...
Clingan was 3-4 from the FT line? Newton threw some great passes although he didn’t make shots. But you can’t talk about bad play by players and leave Hawk out. The most disappointing of all.

Reaction Score
Great game. If we played them 10 times we would win 8 of them. Not tonight though.

Big time note to Coach Hurley:
More Clingan
AK - Shoot the ball

So what, the Hawk didn’t fly. One more AK shot or King Kong minute would have meant a W.

I’m behind the team 100% for the dance.

Well upon review maybe 7x out of 10.

Reaction Score
before the season there were 3 realistic goals

1) Sanogo to be player of the conference
2) Uconn to win regular season title
3) Uconn to win the tournament title

0-3, went from being ranked #1 to now a 4th place team in the big east. If anyone thinks this wasn't a disappointing season they're lying.
We only made #2. LOL!

Reaction Score
Maybe he was hurt. He wasn’t defending for crap, he looked slow and was terribly off. One thing is for certain, he just lost a ton of money. Great players don’t fade like that.
It is one game after he played a great game against Providence. I don't think he loses anything if he performs well in the NCAA tournament. Some fans say some dumbs things off one game performance as he has played well throughout the season and has showed that attack mentality. Some players just have bad games and Hawkins had it. He seemed very disinterested and perplexed and seemed to deferring to Newton at big moments. He has to get back that take charge mentality back for the big dance. I still think he can have a great tournament and carry us.

Reaction Score
You’re blaming the players and not the guy in charge. Players change, results stay the same
A statement like that is kinda silly. Since he hasn’t won any loss will be his fault because he’s lost with multiple different players. That’s not analysis that’s scapegoating.
We missed uncharacteristic free throws, we had multiple open looks to take the lead, Andre had a bad night, Newton was getting destroyed on his way to the hoop, and you have been hating on the defense but we didn’t give up a point after they scored with 3:42 left.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day it's his program and ultimately the results are his responsibility.

Losing this game isn't the end of the world but people should be frustrated. If they're not then it's sad how far expectations have fallen
Being upset is understandable, and having high expectations is what we all have. That doesn’t mean every loss is the coach’s fault. Which is consistently the guys argument.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It’s so clearly mental at this point, brutal to watch. We were down 2 with 2 minutes left and I knew the game was over.
You do realize that sounds very clearly mental, don't you?
Everyone still out here for moral victories when we were the favorites coming in. Nothing to show for it.
Well, ya got a Like from Freescooter.

Now, how do you define "everyone?" And "Nothing?"
I knew he was going to have a bad game when he missed both FT to start the game. The moment was too big
Does this mean that you were pleased that his play offered you the opportunity to be right?
We wouldn’t have had to worry about that be we had Marquette on their heels and had the momentum. We have had this conversation the entire season about Hurley and his choose of not playing Clingan
So do you believe you are right, and therefore happy, and will you repeatedly continue to chase this happiness?
Another DH swing and miss during post season
Is this a good thing in your eyes?
This place is the worst after a loss. The absolute worst
Yep.

There is widespread display of people flexing their muscles in self-affirmation, with little awareness that they've just gotten what they wished for.

It's a toxic brew that gets chased because of its intoxicating properties.
Yes but the guy that is supposedly one of the best shooters in the country, averages 17ppg cannot have a performance like this. And in the beginning when he wasn’t hitting you could tell he didn’t have the right mentality. He also is pretty much only a 3 point shooter, if he learned how to use a head fake, he’d help himself out a lot. Just not nearly good enough from your star.
Can you see that you weren't having a good night? Did it stop you from posting?

Shake it off to be ready for the next game.
Before the game Hurley said he owns msg. We have nothing to show for it. Incredibly frustrating
Two ears & one mouth. Time for you to start listening.
We lost for several reasons. Hurley was not out coached. He went to a 3-2 zone which I mentioned during our losing streak. The zone worked. We just missed too many open threes. Joey C tough night not sure why he was the choice to take that next to last shot. Hawkins no bueno tonight and I guess the pro scouts saw if you put a 6’6”-6’7” athletic wing on him and play physical bingo neutralized. But the mid court three is the difference in the game. But did anyone really ever feel like we were going to win the game. Unfortunately this team does not have the “it” factor. They just don’t win close games. Not blaming anyone it is just a fact. Very disappointed as we even got help from the refs but still could not get over the hump. I did not get that aggravated tonight because I never felt like we were going to win the game.
The team plays to the expectation of the (betting?) fan base, which is abundantly on display in this post-game thread.
Yes, we should all be content with mediocrity.
This kind of sarcasm isn't even 80s crack pipe empty. It's more like eating a half pound bag of Sour Patch Kids. The only way to get rid of the bad taste in your mouth is to eat another bag. And another.

There's help if you want it. Addictions are no joke.
yup. You guys completely ignore the positives I post buts that’s fine. Haven’t been too many over the last 5 years but they’re there. We’ll be having this same conversation next year
That's your prayer, and you don't give praise for it coming true.

Hurley’s mouth writing checks!

You have your own brand-building that works a negative slant. It's an odd pride.
What's up with one thread for after game discussion?
Singular focus.
Well-harnessed, it will result in 2nd & 3rd weekend play.

That's enough for me. 11 pages in, I'll take my chance that I did not miss the golden post.

The picture with Adama calling for the ball and nothing between him and the basket convinced me that an OT game was there for the taking. The timeout wasn't necessary.

The open outside shots did not fall earlier. The first FT at 7 fouls didn't drop.

Six UConn players had at least as many points as did Jackson and Hawkins combined.

Three Marquette players had 4 fouls. Newton needed to get to 6 FT attempts, and would have to have done so after so many attempts try to draw a foul while going to the basket. His 'no call' percentage was unusually high.

PS - I only saw one replay, but it looked like Hawkins's hand was hit on the final shot's follow through. It was a poor play and an ill-created, desperate, late fade away attempt, but still...

Reaction Score
3 years and no BE finals it’s not good enough

This is Hurley's 5th season with no Big East final. Right now his lack of results shows he is clearly an underachiever, however he has a chance to redeem himself in the NCAA Tourney. Granted 2 years were in the AAC but he needs to produce now.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Granted him missing the front end of a 1and1 in the final minutes ended being the difference but between last night and Thursday Newton should taken 20 FTs and he took 7. He was getting the same bad whistle he got during our 3 game losing streak

Reaction Score
This is Hurley's 5th season with no Big East final. Right now his lack of results shows he is clearly an underachiever, however he has a chance to redeem himself in the NCAA Tourney. Granted 2 years were in the AAC but he needs to produce now.

If we're going to count years he couldn't even possibly make the Big East Final as a coach, why not all of them. He's 0 for 50! I understand that he was a child and the Big East didn't even exist for some of that time, but if he were an achiever he'd have found a way.

Reaction Score
He only played 15 minutes cause he decided to foul guys 90 feet from the basket. He missed 2 free throws to start the game and was completely lost after that.

I can’t believe the morons on here blaming Hurley.
Joey C had 3 wide open looks and bricked all of them. Alleyne had a fast break and threw the ball backwards to Hawkins for a miss. He went to the zone and immediately got back in the game. Only flaw is how Clingan only gets 10 minutes? Marquette didn’t score for like the last 3 minutes. Joey looked like Polley at the end of the game. At some point you have to make a shot.
I’m definitely blaming Hurley for the loss, precisely because Clingan only got 10 minutes. It was quite evident to me how Clingan changed the dynamics of the game in UConn’s favor when he was in there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Clingan was clearly more effective in the zone. Sanogos defense was a big part of why we lost the game
Its too bad Igodharo got in foul trouble as Sanogo's defense was fine against him. It was when they brought in Joplin and played 5 out and Sanogo allowed three wide open threes before they went zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom