Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congratulations Guys...... I wish you happiness forever..... everyone is very happy for you......

If a TN game and a Baylor game are scheduled at the same time, wonder which one would get the nod in your house?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Two women getting married? This really shouldn't be news. I know it would not be allowed in such bastions of freedom like Arizona or Texas, but in Connecticut this happens every day.

Reaction Score
a majority of the volnation posters are rednecks with attitudes from the 50's. they do not represent lady vol fans at all. in fact, a lot of them don't like the lady vols even as TN fans. it is the internet though. people are free to look as ignorant as they want.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What about "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"?

I think it's a matter of self-description. If you're gay and want to use the Q word, you can. For a straight person like myself to automatically use it to describe a gay person might or might not be acceptable, depending on the person, so I would never do it. If the person later self-described as queer, I still might not use it unless he/she was a friend, in which case I might. It's a good question. I plan to ask a gay friend of mine when I see him next week. His perspective has to be at least twice as good as mine.

When in doubt, leave it out.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
VolNation is a nice site, posters are fair... may not like UConn the team but loves how they play on the court, much more respect there than on the Summitt

Although you are seemingly correct, this thread however has nothing to do with UConn, other than their fans wishing Glory and Brit congratulations.

The VolNation thread on this topic is interesting with posts varying from the congratulatory to not so congratulatory to a long monologue about how one becomes gay. It's an interesting read. All rubbish of course.

Congrats to Brit and Glory. I wish them all happiness!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
What about "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"?

I think it's a matter of self-description. If you're gay and want to use the Q word, you can. For a straight person like myself to automatically use it to describe a gay person might or might not be acceptable, depending on the person, so I would never do it. If the person later self-described as queer, I still might not use it unless he/she was a friend, in which case I might. It's a good question. I plan to ask a gay friend of mine when I see him next week. His perspective has to be at least twice as good as mine.

Honestly I believe that the use of the word "Queer" in the title of that show is two-fold...1. to attract the curious, and 2. tongue in cheek....seriously....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Only one person on the Baylor board has used the word "congratulations," and I was that person. It flies in the face of everything Baylor represents.

I don't know ETT....I looked up the Student Policies and Procedures at Baylor with respect to their Statement on Human Sex u ality and it appears that things have not changed much....unless you meant that your congratulations flies in the face of everything Baylor represents, in which case I am wrong and you should ignore this post.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Honestly I believe that the use of the word "Queer" in the title of that show is two-fold...1. to attract the curious, and 2. tongue in cheek....seriously....

Keep your tongue out of my cheek. (-;

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Two women getting married? This really shouldn't be news. I know it would not be allowed in such bastions of freedom like Arizona or Texas, but in Connecticut this happens every day.

It's big news because it's 2 WNBA players. Just think what big news it would be if LeBron James and Kobe Bryant announced their engagement.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's big news because it's 2 WNBA players. Just think what big news it would be if LeBron James and Kobe Bryant announced their engagement.

Actually, I would buy a ticket to that - it would be very interesting to see.

casualties would be high

Reaction Score
Who uses the word "queer" anymore?

"Queer" is a word that is actually extensively used by the LGBT community today and (generally) has no negative connotations when it is used. It generally encompasses homosexuality as a whole rather than gay men, lesbians, or other more "specific" experiences.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"Queer" is a word that is actually extensively used by the LGBT community today and (generally) has no negative connotations when it is used. It generally encompasses homos e xuality as a whole rather than gay men, lesbians, or other more "specific" experiences.

This word does carry negative connotations. I am gay, as are a lot of my friends, and we DO NOT like the word. WE find the word offensive. Maybe we are not involved enough in the "community" to know that it no longer carries negative connotations.

If you are gay and the word does not offend you, that is great. Maybe to some it is not offensive, and good for them. But I can tell you that my friends and I do not want to be called queers.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is allowed per forum rules (mods, my apologies and please delete/edit if it is not), but it is my understanding that Diana & Penny are a couple. DT's new, sweet digs were purchased jointly with Penny.

Reaction Score
I have also heard from several sources about Tina (and her girlfriend Adrianne Ross, also a basketball player).

Reaction Score
That's a shame that someone is only considered a basketball player without any acknowledgement of who they are as a person.
Geno won't even acknowledge them as women basketball players! Just basketball players. Geno has said before that he doesn't care who is gay or not, and that it's not really his business just like someone's religion.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno won't even acknowledge them as women basketball players! Just basketball players. Geno has said before that he doesn't care who is gay or not, and that it's not really his business just like someone's religion.

I agree. I do not believe that s e x ual preference is an issue at UConn. His statement goes far in saying just that - they are basketball players, everything else is MYOB.

Reaction Score
I agree. I do not believe that s e x ual preference is an issue at UConn. His statement goes far in saying just that - they are basketball players, everything else is MYOB.
Exactly, and Geno loves "his kids" more than anything no matter what. Just listen to how his former players talk about him, and then of course there's this:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Would someone please duplicate this under their name, apparently, ETT has me on ignore.

This word does carry negative connotations. I am gay, as are a lot of my friends, and we DO NOT like the word. WE find the word offensive. Maybe we are not involved enough in the "community" to know that it no longer carries negative connotations.

If you are gay and the word does not offend you, that is great. Maybe to some it is not offensive, and good for them. But I can tell you that my friends and I do not want to be called queers.

I suspect it may be true that you are not connected into the right sections of the LGBTQ communities to be aware of its regular usage today. Here is PFLAG's statement which acknowledges the popular usage among young people today and the consternation it causes among some older members of the LBGT community. LINK TO PFLAG I shared the site of Outright Vermont because it is just one example of current usage and I would never expect you to just take my word for something so personal to so many.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm not going to tell you what you should or your friends should personally want to be called, but I do want to reiterate that it is the default term in a lot of circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom