Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise) | The Boneyard

Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't know that either! I wonder how the LV fan base feels about this. Congratulations to BG and GJ!

Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't know that either! I wonder how the LV fan base feels about this. Congratulations to BG and GJ!

There was a thread on this topic on VolNation a couple of month's back. The rhetoric got so bad, the moderators had to remove the thread.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There was a thread on this topic on VolNation a couple of month's back. The rhetoric got so bad, the moderators had to remove the thread.

There's a thread on The Summitt on this very topic. I'd almost buy a subscription to read it.

Since BG played for Baylor, plays for an Arizona team, and plays in China, I wonder what the reaction of all of those bases would be as well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One other possible source of reaction: Team USA. This will be good measuring stick for the remaining vestiges of homophobia around the USA and much of the world. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She better not give GloJo and slack when they play. Would be REALLY interesting if they both made the Olympic team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It shouldn't be. It is offensive.

When I was young, I always remember it being considered a slur. Now, it's pretty well accepted by at least some of the LGBTQ community. The Q, after all, does stand for "queer" (also "questioning")

From Wikipedia: "Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities that are not heterosexual, or gender-binary. Originally meaning strange or peculiar, queer developed a usage as a pejorative term for homosexual in the late 19th century. Beginning in the late 1980s, some political and social LGBT groups began to reappropriate the word to establish community and assert a political identity, with it becoming the preferred term to describe some academic disciplines and gaining use as a descriptor of non-heterosexual identities.[1]Queer may be used by those who reject traditional gender identities as a broader, less conformist, and deliberately ambiguous alternative to LGBT."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When I was young, I always remember it being considered a slur. Now, it's pretty well accepted by at least some of the LGBTQ community. The Q, after all, does stand for "queer" (also "questioning")

From Wikipedia: "Queer is an umbrella term for s e xual and gender minorities that are not heteros e xual, or gender-binary. Originally meaning strange or peculiar, queer developed a usage as a pejorative term for homos e xual in the late 19th century. Beginning in the late 1980s, some political and social LGBT groups began to reappropriate the word to establish community and assert a political identity, with it becoming the preferred term to describe some academic disciplines and gaining use as a descriptor of non-heteros e xual identities.[1]Queer may be used by those who reject traditional gender identities as a broader, less conformist, and deliberately ambiguous alternative to LGBT."

Maybe you are also gay, but I can tell you that it is NOT considered OK by any gay person I know, and that includes me. If anyone ever called me queer I would correct them quite promptly.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Maybe you are also gay, but I can tell you that it is NOT considered OK by any gay person I know, and that includes me. If anyone ever called me queer I would correct them quite promptly.

Dan Savage, the syndicated advice columnist who founded the It Gets Better Project with his husband, is a big proponent of the word as an alternative to the ever-growing LGBTQIA etc. etc. acronym. So my perspective might be skewed by listening to his podcast. Nonetheless, I certainly am aware that not everyone is ok with it.

Personally, the way the OP used it didn't strike me as inappropriate. FWIW, I am bi but not really bothered with labels. As long as you don't call me late for dinner.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

I am not gay, but it is considered OK by just about EVERY gay person I know (and I know many). The word "queer" is simply no longer pejorative, but a defiant co-opting of a term to signify a sense of community and belonging. I'm with Orangutan on this.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I am not gay, but it is considered OK by just about EVERY gay person I know (and I know many). The word "queer" is simply no longer pejorative, but a defiant co-opting of a term to signify a sense of community and belonging. I'm with Orangutan on this.
My experience with this is the same as yours. I suppose there could be some regional differences here. The gays I know have most definitely and defiantly co-opted the word and in doing so, have detoxified it. I have a young woman in my life that has long ago adopted me as a surrogate father. She is gay and the word is a non-issue in her life.

I'm happy for BS & GJ... May they have long and happy lives together.

Boo

Reaction Score
So now that I think about it, The "Q", "F" & "D" words....for the rest of you folks. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In my experience, calling gay people "queers" is the equivalent of cigarette." I would NEVER want to be called a queer. I find it incredibly offensive and derogatory. I don't care who is trying to make it acceptable, but to me it rings the same as "."

If you have friends who let you call them "queers" you have a unique set if friends.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of setting words aside for use by only those who have membership in a group. Fighting bias with bias won't get us to a better place.

Boo
Absolutely agree.

I was surprised in a thread a while back to find out that, for some, the "Q' in LGBTQ stood for Queer; in my limited exposure, the folks who used it (and were in that community) said it was "questioning". At the time of the thread, I read how respectable members of the LGBTQ . . . community had indeed "taken the word back".

At the same time, it has a long history as a pejorative term to many, so I plan to continue avoiding using it. I also wouldn't use the other words mentioned above, but have to say I did, indeed, hear a gay person use the "d" word to describe one of his female friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom