Madison Square Garden to host B1G Tournament in 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Madison Square Garden to host B1G Tournament in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The BE has to feel threatened by this. MSG has outs all over that contract, and while MSG wouldn't want to mess with the yearly guarantee of the BE, this B1G puts huge pressure on the BE. They need to sell that sucker out at top dollar every year. Because MSG now has a renter interested in the property.

If the B1G tourney can get 2x as much $$ as the BE gets (and I suspect it will, on demand alone) then MSG has to consider selection weekend as an even greater commodity. If the B1G could commit to MSG once every four years, then MSG maximizes profit by telling the BE to look into Philly or DC in that 4th year.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
upstater said:
The BE has to feel threatened by this. MSG has outs all over that contract, and while MSG wouldn't want to mess with the yearly guarantee of the BE, this B1G puts huge pressure on the BE. They need to sell that sucker out at top dollar every year. Because MSG now has a renter interested in the property. If the B1G tourney can get 2x as much $$ as the BE gets (and I suspect it will, on demand alone) then MSG has to consider selection weekend as an even greater commodity. If the B1G could commit to MSG once every four years, then MSG maximizes profit by telling the BE to look into Philly or DC in that 4th year.

Why do you think msg has outs? It's ironclad for the big east.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The BE has to feel threatened by this. MSG has outs all over that contract, and while MSG wouldn't want to mess with the yearly guarantee of the BE, this B1G puts huge pressure on the BE. They need to sell that sucker out at top dollar every year. Because MSG now has a renter interested in the property.

Ah, nope.

Reaction Score
The BIG has solidified its desire to move east and gain TV viewers, fans, and money.

Keep in mind the BIG tournament will be in Washington DC the year before MSG.

Therefore who thinks that Virginia and UConn are not on this list of expansion targets is misguided.

This only makes it more obvious.

Reaction Score
In the future, the Big East could decide to hold their tourney in Chicago in years the B1G is at MSG. Remember that half of the Big East schools are in the Midwest now. They should have a desire to grow their brand there.

pj

Reaction Score
The current Big East - MSG contract may not have outs but all contracts expire. The Big East is going to have to earn both its MSG time and its network TV revenue. Not clear they have the market pull to do either.

pj

Reaction Score
In the future, the Big East could decide to hold their tourney in Chicago in years the B1G is at MSG. Remember that half of the Big East schools are in the Midwest now. They should have a desire to grow their brand there.

This is plausible. B1G and Big East could alternate venues, MSG and Chicago have a basketball tourney every year and both leagues get to be closer to their fans. I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G tourney in MSG is a trial run to test such an arrangement.

Reaction Score
The BIG has solidified its desire to move east and gain TV viewers, fans, and money.

Keep in mind the BIG tournament will be in Washington DC the year before MSG.

Therefore who thinks that Virginia and UConn are not on this list of expansion targets is misguided.

This only makes it more obvious.
It is a perfect fit for Delany's eastern plan. Man I hope you're right it's been one gut punch after another for UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is no chance the Big East sends their tourney to Chicago.

There is also no chance the Big Ten opts to send their tourney to New York every other year.

Good lord.

Reaction Score

If the B1G tourney can get 2x as much $$ as the BE gets (and I suspect it will, on demand alone) then MSG has to consider selection weekend as an even greater commodity. If the B1G could commit to MSG once every four years, then MSG maximizes profit by telling the BE to look into Philly or DC in that 4th year.

A lot changes by 2018. Big East has mobility for their tourney as well. Is it me or does it simply boil down to how many tickets are purchased at the end of the day? Location can sometimes be overrated. For the BIG to go to NYC, they are clearly basing success on alum numbers foremost.

As I said in a previous post, the Big East has 5 Midwestern teams now - it's actually a bit shocking to see the map stretch all the way to Nebraska. So the Big East tourney in Chicago, Milwaukee, Indy or somewhere in Ohio is not so radical. I think Neb is too far West, but I wouldn't be shocked if the tourney went there because Neb fans, in general, absolutely show up for games, home team affiliation aside.

Reaction Score
I was not being facetious Nicky.
I didnt really think so Buddy but I was under the influence of a few at the time and probably in a devilish mood!?! I didnt remember posting it but as you know i'm really not that thin skinned. I probably read some ACC poster's subtle snarky comment or opinion and took it wrong? Wish I could remember!!

Reaction Score
Delany stated that going forward, the B1G will play the conference tournament on the East Coast 20% of the time and stick to the traditional footprint 80% of the time. Given that the 20% will probably be evenly split between NYC and DC, that means the B1G will host a tournament at MSG once every decade. Given that the Big East now has 50% of its teams in the Midwest, it is not unrealistic to assume that after the current contract expires, the Big East may want to host its tournament in Chicago once every decade.

Upcoming B1G Men's Basketball Tournament Locations:

2015 - Chicago
2016 - Indianapolis
2017 - Washington, D.C.
2018 - New York City
2019 - Chicago
2020 - Indianapolis
2021 - Chicago

“Over the next eight years, we’re out of the region twice,” he said. “Going forward, we’ll be out (east) maybe 20 percent of the time and in our ‘legacy region’ about 80 percent of the time. We want to have a conference that lives in two regions, recruits in two regions and telecasts in two regions.”

Reaction Score
Conspiracy Kitty says:
Do I really have to say anything? It's just so obvious.

"Delany told ESPN.com. "That will probably be somebody else's decision but I think you will see more major events in the northeast in the next decade."

Hmmn, would some of those events be in Storrs, Connecticut Jim?

I'm still pretty flummoxed as to how this thread has gone on this long and still no one taking the bait on this quote.

Reaction Score
I thought the quote meant that Delany will soon be retiring, so it would be up to the new commissioner if more events move into the Eastern Corridor. Tournaments are set through 2021, which is 7 years from now. That would make Delany 73 years old in 2021, and conference commissioner for 32 years at that time. Most likely, he will be retired by then.

Reaction Score
I thought the quote meant that Delany will soon be retiring, so it would be up to the new commissioner if more events move into the Eastern Corridor. Tournaments are set through 2021, which is 7 years from now. That would make Delany 73 years old in 2021, and conference commissioner for 32 years at that time. Most likely, he will be retired by then.

I should clarify I agree wholheartedly there's nothing to the quote except for him suggesting he's retiring, but I'm just surprised there wasn't a larger discussion positing a greater meaning.

Reaction Score
So New York City took our 2018 tournament? Bad idea.

-Signed,
Indianapolis

Reaction Score
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that a Big 10 Hockey tournament at MSG would outdraw a Big10 Basketball tournament. Outside of IU, MSU, and Michigan - they are not drawing, and the spectacle and event that was the Big East conference tournament is dead. There is only one program that can revitalize March college basketball in the Garden, and it's home is in Storrs, CT.

Most people will not accept such a statement, from anyone in any way attached to UCONN - but it is true. The only question, is how long we will have that capability, when we are not attached to major conference.

It's not realistic to expect to win national championships every year in basketball, which is what it takes....every 3 or 4 years, sure - but every year is a bit unrealistic.

Reaction Score
It's official!

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120914aab.html

I wonder if there's language included to account for if/when the Garden has to move from Penn Station.

I'm not surprised that the Big Ten is playing its tournament in New York. Jim Delaney has been Napoleonic about setting up shop there with his office and everything. I'm surprised he's forcing all the Big Ten basketball teams to shorten their schedule and play on the same schedule as the Colonial Athletic Association. It's going over like a fart in church too.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...4/12/09/big-ten-tournament-new-york/20122853/

But the man, Delaney, is hell bent on having it there. Now he will. Popular or Unpopular. The schools will just salute and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!".

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised that the Big Ten is playing its tournament in New York. Jim Delaney has been Napoleonic about setting up shop there with his office and everything. I'm surprised he's forcing all the Big Ten basketball teams to shorten their schedule and play on the same schedule as the Colonial Athletic Association. It's going over like a fart in church too.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...4/12/09/big-ten-tournament-new-york/20122853/

But the man, Delaney, is hell bent on having it there. Now he will. Popular or Unpopular. The schools will just salute and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!".

Despite his annual soapbox, Tom Izzo doesn't speak for the league or its fans.

Most people -- not all, but most -- actually think this is cool. Contrary to your assertion, Delaney didn't do this without popular consent from his constituents.

Reaction Score

Are you kidding? ESPN did everything short of buy Cablevision stock to help MSG break the deal with the Big East but realized it was air-tight and then relocated the ACC to Brooklyn.

Put another way--the Big East agreement is longer than the lease MSG has to stay at Penn Station.

Reaction Score
FYI - MSG's lease is for 10 years (2013) as the city wants MSG out to expand Penn Station. That was done right after Dolan announced he was not going to move MSG and announced the renovation. It's a big game of chicken.

Reaction Score
The Eastern Push continues. I wouldn't be surprised to see the hockey tournament at MSG one year and the baseball tournament at Yankee Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom