Madison Square Garden to host B1G Tournament in 2018 | The Boneyard

Madison Square Garden to host B1G Tournament in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More great news for Rutgers.
Everythings fine at RU but thanks for thinking of us RU fans !! We got all the good news we needed a few years ago. I'm especially enjoying WBB's rennaisance,wrestling ranking and better than anticipated FB showing with that grueling schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've noticed that they've had to work around the Big East's contract with MSG, which shows that even the all-mighty Big Ten isn't all that powerful. Still, it's a stunning move on their part. I guess Delany's really serious on that East Coast thing. But there's a limit to his influence. The Big Ten is still a mostly-midwestern state flagships league. That character will remain.

I wonder if Ohio State will be in the CFP top four after tonight.

Reaction Score
This may just be a good sign for UConn, 2018 is a few years away to ensure excellent overall attendance, esp a CT contingent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've noticed that they've had to work around the Big East's contract with MSG, which shows that even the all-mighty Big Ten isn't all that powerful. Still, it's a stunning move on their part. I guess Delany's really serious on that East Coast thing. But there's a limit to his influence. The Big Ten is still a mostly-midwestern state flagships league. That character will remain.

Well, no.

The Big East's contract is a) bullet-proof and b) good for the Garden.

The Big East is there every year - they're not looking to stop in every fifth year. That's why the Garden makes the Big Ten bend and shunts the ACC off to the side-stage in Brooklyn.

Basically, what those two conferences are finding out is that despite all their chatter, they're still not in New York.

A bunch of southern dandies and some rust-belt relics are nothing more than wide-eyed tourists in the big city.

Reaction Score
Well, no.

The Big East's contract is a) bullet-proof and b) good for the Garden.

The Big East is there every year - they're not looking to stop in every fifth year. That's why the Garden makes the Big Ten bend and shunts the ACC off to the side-stage in Brooklyn.

Basically, what those two conferences are finding out is that despite all their chatter, they're still not in New York.

A bunch of southern dandies and some rust-belt relics are nothing more than wide-eyed tourists in the big city.

You do realize nearly half the Big East is now in the Midwest: Creighton, Butler, Marquette, DePaul, & Xavier.

The BIG and Big East overlap goes just beyond the 5 above because of the blooming eastern arm: Seton Hall-Rutgers, Villanova-PSU and Georgetown-Maryland (though Georgetown is actually in DC, not 18 miles away). Hence, the Big East - BIG Challenge which starts next year. This reality will only further acculturation between the BIG region and NYC. But it will take time.

NYC simply isn't owned by any major college team & it's largely based on two simple facts: it's a major global city filled with international transplants & continuous immigration and there will likely never be a major college football power based in the major boroughs. Sure Rutgers is within the metro, but not the boroughs, and we all know the Scarlet Knights have a long ways to go - but never say never. I had no idea back in the 80s and 90s that Oregon would turn into a major, constant football power. Same goes for Wisconsin football and Arizona basketball before Lute Olsen arrived. Heck, I never thought UConn would win 4 NCs in 10 years as well. I remember when UConn would get oh so close in the elite eight or lose in dramatic fashion in the sweet sixteen. I'd say to myself, what does Calhoun have to do here?

Bottom line, of all the major p5 conferences, it is probably the BIG with the most alum in NYC, but drowned out in a city that puts college sports much lower on the cultural attractions list.

Reactions: pj

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Now you're explaining New York City to us?

You're not qualified.

You kids need to know what you don't know.

E.g. I'm not heading to your board to pretend I understand the dynamics out there in Asstickle, Minnesota or wherever.

If everyone sticks to that, and stops rushing in to defend whatever conference flag they're flying, all of this will work that much smoother.

Reaction Score
Now you're explaining New York City to us?

You're not qualified.

You kids need to know what you don't know.

E.g. I'm not heading to your board to pretend I understand the dynamics out there in Asstickle, Minnesota or wherever.

If everyone sticks to that, and stops rushing in to defend whatever conference flag they're flying, all of this will work that much smoother.

I hope I have a little cred on NYC, having lived in Sunset Park for a couple of years long before gentrification, sibling as well, and my daughter starts school in Manhattan next fall.

And you often have a nasty mouth on here, stop being so rude. I've been quite civil on here to UConn fans. This is an expansion board. I rarely use the other UConn boards. CT isn't NYC either - different state. The NYC exburbs in CT are exactly that - exurbs - incredibly detached from the everyday norms of the boroughs and immediate Jersey side just across the river.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
We own NYC, dammit. Someone was wearing one of our shirts next to Al Sharpton.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Having your league championship game a week before Selection Sunday is a mistake. They'll do it once and decide not to do it again.

Reaction Score
More likely they do it once and MSG sees how much more money they make with the B1G then the NBE and B1G takes over or works out a deal to go there every 2 or 3 years. NBE then goes to the Midwest whenever the B1G is in NYC.

Reaction Score
Having your league championship game a week before Selection Sunday is a mistake. They'll do it once and decide not to do it again.
Seriously? this was brought up before in trying to figure out how the B1G could get into MSG, but it seemed like a very bad fix. A week before selection Sunday? Not sure how that works with the regular season schedule but sounds like a very bad idea.

Reaction Score
Seriously? this was brought up before in trying to figure out how the B1G could get into MSG, but it seemed like a very bad fix. A week before selection Sunday? Not sure how that works with the regular season schedule but sounds like a very bad idea.

I think the bigger story is that Delany was able to get 14 ADs to a) buy into the concept and b) do what it takes to make it happen.

That's a lot of work for just 1 local team, don't you think? ...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We own NYC, dammit. Someone was wearing one of our shirts next to Al Sharpton.
I don't see how that helps us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The reality is that due to a) the size of most B1G schools' alumni bases, b) the number of alumni in the greater NYC area (due to the job market), c) the novelty of being in NYC, especially at the Garden (for those located in other parts of the country) and d) the popularity of many B1G schools in the NYC area one stray conference tournament at the Garden should have no issues with attendance.

If this were to be a continued event, where at some point the novelty would wear off, it would be a huge help as the B1G would then see the value of adding us as a member. A one off tournament doesn't help us at all.

Reaction Score
More likely they do it once and MSG sees how much more money they make with the B1G then the NBE and B1G takes over or works out a deal to go there every 2 or 3 years. NBE then goes to the Midwest whenever the B1G is in NYC.

They'll make less money in NYC. Unless the double the price of tickets. The old BET had a pretty pricey ticket if you ask me, and I read that the BE didn't make a profit. Always in the red. Who makes a profit? MSG.

It's more about the media spectacle than anything else.

Reaction Score
Everythings fine at RU but thanks for thinking of us RU fans !! We got all the good news we needed a few years ago. I'm especially enjoying WBB's rennaisance,wrestling ranking and better than anticipated FB showing with that grueling schedule.
I was not being facetious Nicky.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Do I really have to say anything? It's just so obvious.

"Delany told ESPN.com. "That will probably be somebody else's decision but I think you will see more major events in the northeast in the next decade."

Hmmn, would some of those events be in Storrs, Connecticut Jim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom