Madison Square Garden to host B1G Tournament in 2018 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Madison Square Garden to host B1G Tournament in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Eastern Push continues. I wouldn't be surprised to see the hockey tournament at MSG one year and the baseball tournament at Yankee Stadium.

Yankee at 50K is likely a tad too big for a college league playoff tournament as it looks like average attendance ranges from 6K to 10K depending on location and who is playing. But, NYC does shave 2 minor league parks that could work - Richmond County Bank Ballpark in Staten Island that holds 7,100 right where the Staten Island ferry from Manhattan stops and MCU Park right on Coney Island in Brooklyn hat holds 7,500 and is accessible by various subway lines from Manhattan.

Reaction Score
Target Field in Minneapolis (home of the Twins) is hosting the B1G Baseball Tournament this year and it seats 40,000.

Delany goes for the big splash with moves like this so I doubt anything other than Yankee Stadium would ever be used if the tournament were in NYC.

pj

Reaction Score
Target Field in Minneapolis (home of the Twins) is hosting the B1G Baseball Tournament this year and it seats 40,000.

Delany goes for the big splash with moves like this so I doubt anything other than Yankee Stadium would ever be used if the tournament were in NYC.

Fenway Park hosts college hockey games (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/frozenfenway.jsp). Of course the B1G would go for Yankee Stadium, even if attendance was only 7000. They want an event and a spectacle for the BTN.

Reaction Score
I don't think Baseball is a sport that will get this treatment in the Big Ten ranks - there's only 3 sports that are considered revenue sports : Football, Men's Basketball, and Men's Ice Hockey. Maybe a few decades from now Lacrosse will be on that list.

Baseball...I just don't see it in the Big Ten states. Softball has a bigger following IMHO.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised he's forcing all the Big Ten basketball teams to shorten their schedule and play on the same schedule as the Colonial Athletic Association. It's going over like a fart in church too.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...4/12/09/big-ten-tournament-new-york/20122853/

But the man, Delaney, is hell bent on having it there. Now he will. Popular or Unpopular. The schools will just salute and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!".

a) Delany is usually careful to point out the pecking order in the Big Ten when talking about how decisions are made. He comes off as a humble man most of the time, unless of course his opinion doesn't happen to agree with yours.
b) Along with what Kyle said, the Izzos and Alvarezes, who love the microphone, do not run the Big Ten.
c) The Freep loves bashing Michigan and will also take a stab at the Big Ten when it conveniently drives clicks.
d) Strike a nerve did we with B1G to MSG? :)

Reaction Score
The B1G is all about consensus. Ideally, all decisions are made unanimously by all members. Having said that, coaches sometimes disagree with their AD's. When this decision was made, I would be quite confident that most - if not all - of the ADs agreed to the move. Even if it was near a 50/50 split, I don't think this would have happened.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
a) Delany is usually careful to point out the pecking order in the Big Ten when talking about how decisions are made. He comes off as a humble man most of the time, unless of course his opinion doesn't happen to agree with yours.
b) Along with what Kyle said, the Izzos and Alvarezes, who love the microphone, do not run the Big Ten.
c) The Freep loves bashing Michigan and will also take a stab at the Big Ten when it conveniently drives clicks.

Get out of our Cathedral you carpet bagging scoundrels.

Reaction Score

Ok. Izzo is just who I think of when someone mentions Big Ten basketball. It used to be Bobby Knight, but he's been gone for a while. Izzo is the only one I remember winning in any sort of recent memory. I know Steve Fisher won a long time ago, but his championship may have been vacated over loans or something, but that is at least 25 years ago I'm guessing now.

There is no nerve about B1G to MSG. That week before Conference Championship week has been available to most any conference that wanted it and still is in most years other than 2018 now that the B1G signed up for it that week. There just needs to be arrangements for the Knicks and Rangers elsewhere. Jim Delany has been hell bent on being in New York. He now will be with all of his teams playing a week before everyone else in 2018. The B1G should have fun.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There is no nerve about B1G to MSG.

Yes there is. Co conspirators in the destruction of the Big East moving their own tourney into the Mecca? . Delaney conspired to seduce our spouse, wrecked our family and is doing pressers about how nice it is to move into our house.

That's some bad Karma. Realignment may be about football, but it sure as hell feels about basketball with that guy in our living room.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
P.S. I'd play the AAC tourney in February if it meant getting back into the garden.

pj

Reaction Score
P.S. I'd play the AAC tourney in February if it meant getting back into the garden.

This is an idea. How about a holiday tourney to settle the AAC's auto bid. New Year's Eve Madness. Free liquor at midnight.

Reaction Score
I don't see any reason why the AAC couldn't have its men's basketball tournament in MSG in another year besides 2018 on the same weekend that the B1G has now scheduled for 2018. The AAC would have to meet the minimum ticket expectations of the Garden, but that week is certainly a possibility. The Big Ten has now showed this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not surprised that the Big Ten is playing its tournament in New York. Jim Delaney has been Napoleonic about setting up shop there with his office and everything. I'm surprised he's forcing all the Big Ten basketball teams to shorten their schedule and play on the same schedule as the Colonial Athletic Association. It's going over like a fart in church too.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...4/12/09/big-ten-tournament-new-york/20122853/

But the man, Delaney, is hell bent on having it there. Now he will. Popular or Unpopular. The schools will just salute and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!".

So it is simple for UConn, if we aren't in the B1G by the time the 2018 tournament occurs, we want the TV audience to see thousands of empty seats and to be able to hear the conversations among the few people who show up. We need it to flop, since UConn has shown it can fill the building by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom