Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Picking the two schools that will play in the conference championship is a recipe for conference unrest. It's bad enough that schools complain about BCS rankings and bowls. Now, imagine that your own conference screws you over for the conference championship game?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1000% good.
Very interesting quote here:
“You wouldn't necessarily have to have divisions,” Swofford said. “You could look at several different ways -- the two best winning percentages within the conferences. That would be a pretty sophisticated tiebreaker.”

Agree completely. This is an interesting quote. One scenario that jumped out at me with the B1G is the potential for three 5 team pods. They could also provide each school an annual rivalry game to go along with it (OSU Michigan). My pods:

UMD, RU, UConn, PSU, OSU
Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois
Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern

Those are pretty balanced, and have great regional alignment.

Reaction Score
I don't think it helps or hurts.

I just think the ACC wants to avoid sending Duke to their championship game again.

you hit the nail on the head.
This is the same game the P5 conferences have been playing with the small conferences, but now they are going after their own...

This is a protective move, not one to expand. Don't think this has an impact on uconn. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Agree. The ACC CG will be some combo of FSU/Clemson/VT/GT/Miami/ND every year and the only possible way for another school to get into the ACC CG will be to run the table. The ACC would probably even rig their own system so that a 2 or 3 loss FSU/ND got in over a 1 loss BC or Cuse.
If so, they should just drop the divisions then. What's the point of winning your division if you may still not play in the CC game?

Reaction Score
If so, they should just drop the divisions then. What's the point of winning your division if you may still not play in the CC game?

Murph - I think longer term that is indeed the plan.

Reaction Score
Can the BeeOneGee risk the ACC in D'Oh?

Notre Dame already scoops up the best Cincinnati talent from the Catholic high schools, and with Kentucky and Nebraska recruiting Ohio more so in the last couple years I'm not sure that Cincinnati to the ACC would have that much additional impact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I just think the ACC wants to avoid sending Duke to their championship game again.

There was a lot of anxiety with that, as well as stiff arming the Chick Fil A Bowl to take Duke. They didn't want Duke at all. But Duke fans did end up supporting those games, and while the Championship Game was a blow out against FSU, Duke did take Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M to the brink of defeat in Atlanta, and that game was one of the highest rated Chick Fil A bowls. Sometimes these things will surprise.

Reaction Score
Agree. The ACC CG will be some combo of FSU/Clemson/VT/GT/Miami/ND every year and the only possible way for another school to get into the ACC CG will be to run the table. The ACC would probably even rig their own system so that a 2 or 3 loss FSU/ND got in over a 1 loss BC or Cuse.

ND is ineligible to play in the ACC CG.

Reaction Score

I am not certain that the ACC will see the "wisdom" of adding UConn to fight the Big Ten for the elusive (and perhaps non-existent) "control" of NYC.

Can UConn add about $22 million for themselves and extra revenue for everyone else as far as the ESPN TV contract?

Maybe, just maybe it will be enough to break even with UConn's addition just to stick a finger in Jim Delany's eye, I don't know.

Can UConn generate enough revenue for the ACC to pay for itself and add some money to each other member's share?

That would mean, what, maybe $22 million for its own share plus a million or two for the other 15 members?

Isn't that really the main issue here? I don't know the answer but to overcome all of the other issues (BC, Syracuse, FSU, Clemson, et al), doesn't UConn have to bring lots of revenue to the table?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

That alone precludes me from wanting UConn to join the ACC. If that is their attitude on Duke football, what do you think their attitude any other upstart program...say...for example...oh, I don't know...UConn?

Get on your horse, Mr. Delany!!!!!

Reaction Score
TerryD said:
I am not certain that the ACC will see the "wisdom" of adding UConn to fight the Big Ten for the elusive (and perhaps non-existent) "control" of NYC.

Can UConn add about $22 million for themselves and extra revenue for everyone else as far as the ESPN TV contract?

Maybe, just maybe it will be enough to break even with UConn's addition just to stick a finger in Jim Delany's eye, I don't know.

Can UConn generate enough revenue for the ACC to pay for itself and add some money to each other member's share?

That would mean, what, maybe $22 million for its own share plus a million or two for the other 15 members?

Isn't that really the main issue here? I don't know the answer but to overcome all of the other issues (BC, Syracuse, FSU, Clemson, et al), doesn't UConn have to bring lots of revenue to the table?

Uconn brings enough revenue for espn to suggest us to the Acc in the first place. Can't imagine the school with the highest img contract of the old big east isn't valuable enough to break even.

The only way to overcome fsu and Clemson issues is to win. The only way to overcome BC and syracuse its to die.

I prefer winning.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree completely. This is an interesting quote. One scenario that jumped out at me with the B1G is the potential for three 5 team pods. They could also provide each school an annual rivalry game to go along with it (OSU Michigan). My pods:

UMD, RU, UConn, PSU, OSU
Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois
Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern

Those are pretty balanced, and have great regional alignment.

This is actually the best 3 pod hypothetical B1G I've seen. Very balanced football. For basketball, you obviously wouldn't need the pods but maybe you set it up as everybody plays once and then you play everyone from your football pod twice (home and away) and then rotate the rest to have home and away every other few years for the rest of the conference. This can be done.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The more compelling reason is to make sure that the two best teams play in the ACCG game. More specifically, to prevent what happened last year where Florida State played Duke in the ACCG game - simply because Duke was the winner of the comparatively weaker Coastal Division last year; all the while a Top 10 team - Clemson - missed the CG simply because they were in the same Division as Florida State. The goal is to ensure that as many teams as possible have the opportunity to qualify for the new bowl championship structure. Some reports have said that one of the criteria being considered is having the two teams with the highest poll ranking play in the CG. If that were in place last year, Florida Sate would have played Clemson.

Selecting a brand-name 3-loss team for the ACCG over a more successful, higher ranked team that year is counterproductive to the Conference's goal of ensuring that more than 1 team gets into the new playing structure since if that 3-loss team suffered a 4th loss in the ACCG, they aren't going to one of the new bowls, where as a more successful, higher ranked team that year might.
So you support manipulation of results? The ACC was able to set up its divisions any way it saw fit. Them putting Clemson and FSU in the same division kinda demonstrates the ACC's shortsightedness throughout the realignment process, no?

Reaction Score
Clemson wasn't always a good team....you could have put Miami and FSU in the same division....but schools think that they need to have a presence in Florida for recruiting...and thought that having the two Florida schools in the same division to be unfair.

Clemson is a day trip away from FSU...would it make more sense to substitute one of FSU's closest opponents for another one farther north?

The ACC has already done that with FSU playing Syracuse instead of Georgia Tech...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Clemson wasn't always a good team....you could have put Miami and FSU in the same division....but schools think that they need to have a presence in Florida for recruiting...and thought that having the two Florida schools in the same division to be unfair.

Clemson is a day trip away from FSU...would it make more sense to substitute one of FSU's closest opponents for another one farther north?

The ACC has already done that with FSU playing Syracuse instead of Georgia Tech...
That's not exactly true. The last coach with a losing overall record at Clemson is Red Parker (73-76) and they've only missed 4 of the last 29 bowl seasons (92, 94, 98, 04).

If the ACC has 4 perennial powers (FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Miami) then they need to separate them, 2 and 2...which they are. Duke won a division. They should absolutely be rewarded for it.

Reaction Score
That's not exactly true. The last coach with a losing overall record at Clemson is Red Parker (73-76) and they've only missed 4 of the last 29 bowl seasons (92, 94, 98, 04).

If the ACC has 4 perennial powers (FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Miami) then they need to separate them, 2 and 2...which they are. Duke won a division. They should absolutely be rewarded for it.

"Haven't always been good" is based on your vantage point.

Thinking of my school days...Clemson was going below .500 in 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 75, 76...by FSU's entrance to the ACC, Clemson was decent...but not good.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Who led the vote for Louisville and why? Nothing, more or less, prior to the BCS or preceding forms of post season (I.e. Bowl Coalition, whathaveyou) has any real effect on the current big money college football environment.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Well, there will be a renogotiation of the B1G contract in 2016/2017, so they may want to try to lock in the Northeast before that.
And it'll be perfect timing; KO and co will just be coming off NC #5 in 2016.

Reaction Score
I like the comments at the end...You can feel the ACC love.

Aside from that, can put lipstick on it all you want, the ACC was, is, and always will be, a non-player nationally when it comes to "power" at the top of college sports. Virginia? If you take away the ACC TV Contract and other subsidized revenue, they still had $55 M in revenue in 2012. Cincinnati and Boise St had around $32 M each. I would put Duke in the UConn category based on Basketball. UConn was close to $45 M in non subsidized money.

The fact is, when the top 20-30 programs who actually are making money ditch the rest of the freeloaders who without TV money have little difference from East Carolina or New Mexico, the majority of ACC schools (Wake Forest, Duke, Boston College, etc.) will have no prayer of hanging on.

Reaction Score

The above post just shows me how much I hate the ACC and ND. Like Pitt and Cuse added value to other ACC members due to their own unique characteristics. The ACC could have added Temple and Marshall and ESPN would have renegotiated the contract.

UConn to the B1G immediately devalues the ACC's northern tier schools, and marginalizes any future ACC NYC BB dreams.

I may be half baked but I think a BIG 12 expansion naming UConn, Cincy, USF and UCF would rock. It would give UConn access to Florida fb recruiting grounds, and place us in a very competitive bb conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Calling a spade a spade, the ACC hasn't added a team worth "$22 million plus a million or two for the other 15 members" yet. Not Syracuse, not UL, not Pitt and certainly not some fractionated portion of the Notre Dame athletic program.

If you think they have, you're either drunk, stupid, bad at math or a passive-aggressive from Virginia.

We've seen the ESPN/Big East money redistributed and the ACC doesn't have a network of it's own - there is zero incentive for ESPN to pay more for UConn sports when it already has those rights for a screaming bargain price.

Reaction Score
The more compelling reason is to make sure that the two best teams play in the ACCG game. More specifically, to prevent what happened last year where Florida State played Duke in the ACCG game - simply because Duke was the winner of the comparatively weaker Coastal Division last year; all the while a Top 10 team - Clemson - missed the CG simply because they were in the same Division as Florida State. The goal is to ensure that as many teams as possible have the opportunity to qualify for the new bowl championship structure. Some reports have said that one of the criteria being considered is having the two teams with the highest poll ranking play in the CG. If that were in place last year, Florida Sate would have played Clemson.

Selecting a brand-name 3-loss team for the ACCG over a more successful, higher ranked team that year is counterproductive to the Conference's goal of ensuring that more than 1 team gets into the new playing structure since if that 3-loss team suffered a 4th loss in the ACCG, they aren't going to one of the new bowls, where as a more successful, higher ranked team that year might.
what is the accg game?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

TV value is one measure, but even then it depends how you define it.

UConn, in and of itself, offers TV value in excess of what our current ESPN contract brings. Simpletons like okielite are too dense to see that and the factors the led us to be trapped in this contract. He probably doesn't buy stocks low and sell them high either because he thinks they worth whatever yahoo tells him they are that day, but I digress. UConn has measurable TV value, as seen by our deal with SNY at the very least. The Hartford, New Haven, Springfield, and Fairfield County (NYC) markets have collective value. Being one of the most popular teams in NYC metro has value.

There is also value in other B1G/ACC teams playing in and being televised in those markets - ie, UConn is not value added in a vacuum. Becoming the predominant conference in this area would carry weight, and would be detrimental to the other conference.

Additional inventory - quality, off football season inventory - is another value add for aspiring conference networks. I know "football drives the bus" but networks still have to operate year round.

Lastly, I think we showed over the last month that we add value by winning championships. The AAC literally could not have bought better publicity during these dual title runs (you're welcome). We're not there yet in football (and national championship wise, we don't have to be) but we can return to consistent bowl games and I'm sure as hell not going to bet against Diaco to reach higher if he was operating on the same playing field as the B1G or ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish BC, Cuse, and UConn would all go to the B1G....the ACC would automatically concede the NE...never made much sense anyway.

Reaction Score
Calling a spade a spade, the ACC hasn't added a team worth "$22 million plus a million or two for the other 15 members" yet. Not Syracuse, not UL, not Pitt and certainly not some fractionated portion of the Notre Dame athletic program.

If you think they have, you're either drunk, stupid, bad at math or a passive-aggressive from Virginia.

We've seen the ESPN/Big East money redistributed and the ACC doesn't have a network of it's own - there is zero incentive for ESPN to pay more for UConn sports when it already has those rights for a screaming bargain price.

This is why I think UConn has to to try and squeeze into the Big12, even to just create the threat of moving all of our content to fox/FS1. There is no incentive to pay UConn more on the part of ESPN, unless there was a real threat to leave for Fox/a Fox league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom