Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
An added complication there is that deregulating conference championship games might mean the Big 12 never expands. Brigham Young fans seem to think that their one chance to get into that conference hinges on whether the proposal passes or not.

Reaction Score
An added complication there is that deregulating conference championship games might mean the Big 12 never expands. Brigham Young fans seem to think that their one chance to get into that conference hinges on whether the proposal passes or not.

I still think the 12 team rule might be in place. This is a question of odd teams over and above 12 teams. At least that's my interpretation.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:

Do you think this has any affect on the previously rejected proposal from the big twelve to have a ccg with ten members?

Actually was that even real or a figment of the dude's imagination?

Reaction Score
Do you think this has any affect on the previously rejected proposal from the big twelve to have a ccg with ten members?

I still think the 12 team rule might be in place. This is a question of odd teams over and above 12 teams. At least that's my interpretation.

The Big 12 does support and collaborated with the ACC on the legislation. My understanding is that the deregulation would allow the Big 12 to sponsor a CCG with just their 10 teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nship-games-would-change-postseason-structure

ESPN.com first reported last month the league's intent to forward such legislation that would give the ACC "flexibility" in who plays in its conference title game. The legislation was submitted in collaboration with the Big 12, Bowlsby said Friday night.

It is known that the 10-team Big 12 would prefer deregulation if it ever decided to play a championship game with its current 10-team alignment.

"You wouldn't any longer have to have 12 (teams)," Bowlsby said. "You wouldn't any longer have to play a full round-robin in your subdivision. That would actually afford us the opportunity to have a playoff between two selected teams by whatever process we would want to select. "I doubt we're going to do that but we would likely have the prerogative."

Reaction Score

It seems to me they are unrelated.

Reaction Score
Replacing the B1G schools on the schedule is a sacrifice. The buzz in the midwest when the B1G schools take on ND is huge. ND vs. Virginia doesn't move the needle. But ND has to do it. They need to stay independent as long as possible. But at the end of the day... B1G!

Reaction Score
Replacing the B1G schools on the schedule is a sacrifice. The buzz in the midwest when the B1G schools take on ND is huge. ND vs. Virginia doesn't move the needle. But ND has to do it. They need to stay independent as long as possible. But at the end of the day... B1G!

How many times have we played Virginia for you have an idea how the game pushes the needle?

We are not joining the BeeOneGee. At any time in any way.

Reaction Score
And there is also the Cincinnati gamble. That one also addresses both conferences. The Bearcats are of no value to the BUG, and former OSU President Gee has been honest that half of the Big 2 certainly gains from Cincinnati being cut out. But the ACC could gain from having the Bearcats, perhaps most by hitting right that the heart of the BeeOneGee.

Historically, OH has been the most important state for the BeeOneGee in both football and basketball, especially football. The middle of the conference is as good as it is only because its 2nd and 3rd tier programs count on landing a bunch of 3 star OH talent. BeeOneGee football cannot afford to have even a minority of OH's 3 star recruits begin to see another power conference as a good landing place.

ACC sports will soon be all over OH in recruiting. Pitt to the east, ND to the west, and Louisville to the south all border OH. Now, ACC schools can recruit OH players and say their conference is local. Get Cincinnati in the ACC, and that pitch will be made easily.

Can the BeeOneGee risk the ACC in D'Oh?

Hold on a sec. Bwahahahaha!

Reaction Score
How many times have we played Virginia for you have an idea how the game pushes the needle?

That's precisely the point. Very little history with these South Atlantics.

Reaction Score
I don't think it helps or hurts.

I just think the ACC wants to avoid sending Duke to their championship game again.

100% This

They do not want the possibility of a 7-5 BC Team knocking off 11-1 Clemson or FSU in a title game keeping the conference out of the playoff. They want whomever the top 2 teams are to face off so that the winner still has a shot.

Reaction Score
The above post just shows me how much I hate the ACC and ND. Like Pitt and Cuse added value to other ACC members due to their own unique characteristics. The ACC could have added Temple and Marshall and ESPN would have renegotiated the contract.

UConn to the B1G immediately devalues the ACC's northern tier schools, and marginalizes any future ACC NYC BB dreams.

I may be half baked but I think a BIG 12 expansion naming UConn, Cincy, USF and UCF would rock. It would give UConn access to Florida fb recruiting grounds, and place us in a very competitive bb conference.

I asked a question about revenues. That makes you "hate" the ACC and ND? Ok.

UConn at #15 is in a different position and a different time/environment than Pitt and Syracuse in 2011.

I would like to see UConn join the ACC, so why the hate? I just think that the only real issue is revenue generation.

Sorry if my question offended you.

Reaction Score
100% This

They do not want the possibility of a 7-5 BC Team knocking off 11-1 Clemson or FSU in a title game keeping the conference out of the playoff. They want whomever the top 2 teams are to face off so that the winner still has a shot.

It's more than that. If the ACC champ beats a 8-4 team in the conference championship game it could hurt the winner relative to other conference champions for inclusion in the playoff.

Reaction Score

Agreed. There is zero chance that ND will ever join the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
TV value is one measure, but even then it depends how you define it.

UConn, in and of itself, offers TV value in excess of what our current ESPN contract brings. Simpletons like okielite are too dense to see that and the factors the led us to be trapped in this contract. He probably doesn't buy stocks low and sell them high either because he thinks they worth whatever yahoo tells him they are that day, but I digress. UConn has measurable TV value, as seen by our deal with SNY at the very least. The Hartford, New Haven, Springfield, and Fairfield County (NYC) markets have collective value. Being one of the most popular teams in NYC metro has value.

There is also value in other B1G/ACC teams playing in and being televised in those markets - ie, UConn is not value added in a vacuum. Becoming the predominant conference in this area would carry weight, and would be detrimental to the other conference.

Additional inventory - quality, off football season inventory - is another value add for aspiring conference networks. I know "football drives the bus" but networks still have to operate year round.

Lastly, I think we showed over the last month that we add value by winning championships. The AAC literally could not have bought better publicity during these dual title runs (you're welcome). We're not there yet in football (and national championship wise, we don't have to be) but we can return to consistent bowl games and I'm sure as hell not going to bet against Diaco to reach higher if he was operating on the same playing field as the B1G or ACC.

Thank you. I appreciate the well reasoned response.

Reaction Score
The question remains, why would anyone invite us right now? There has to be a $ number attached to the equation.

Let's say Delany wants to get us in and growing while we are hot.

He needs to assure $2-3 for all subscribers in CT on all systems basic tier.

He needs legislature support to expand the Rent to 55k.

He needs his member schools to convince the AAU to invite UConn.

He needs to convince his member Presidents this is a good idea.

He needs to convince some broadcast outfit to up the fees for the additional content.

That's a lot for one man.
So what's the problem ? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Calling a spade a spade, the ACC hasn't added a team worth "$22 million plus a million or two for the other 15 members" yet. Not Syracuse, not UL, not Pitt and certainly not some fractionated portion of the Notre Dame athletic program.

If you think they have, you're either drunk, stupid, bad at math or a passive-aggressive from Virginia.

We've seen the ESPN/Big East money redistributed and the ACC doesn't have a network of it's own - there is zero incentive for ESPN to pay more for UConn sports when it already has those rights for a screaming bargain price.

Well, I haven't had that much to drink and I am not from Virginia, so that sort of narrows it down a bit, doesn't it........?????

I may be stupid and bad at math, sure. But, these articles indicate that ND paid for its own basketball money and added additional money per team to the ACC. Oh, and they were receiving $15 million a year from NBC (that was prior to the new 10 year extension of that contract).

"Tangible proof

The Irish influence already has been tangible. The ACC’s television deal with ESPN was expected to net each member $17 million each year.

Once Notre Dame committed, a renegotiation bumped that projection up to $20 million."

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_760f4d4a-e136-11e2-903e-0019bb30f31a.html

"Notre Dame football might be a part-time lover in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but the league still gets a nice pay bump from the Irish's presence.

The ACC expects Notre Dame's full membership in all sports but football and hockey -- with five guaranteed football games per year -- to earn each school more than $1 million per year in media rights revenue, according to two league sources.

This will bump the ACC's per-school annual television revenue into the $18-plus-million range. In 2012, the ACC renegotiated a deal with ESPN for $3.6 billion over 15 years (or $17.1 million per school on average) for a 14-team football league."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ue----more-than-1-million-per-school-annually

"Last year, after the additions of Syracuse and Pittsburgh, the ACC restructured its TV contract with ESPN to a reported 15-year, $3.6 billion agreement. Each school was set to make an average of about $17.1 million per year over the length of the contract.

When the ACC added Notre Dame as a member in all sports except football and ice hockey, the conference re-negotiated its TV contract, and schools are now reportedly earning an average of more than $20 million per year through 2026-2027, when the deal with ESPN expires."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/06/with_projected_revenue_increas.html

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's contract is what it is - I've always thought that NBC's deal with Notre Dame might be the only sports deal that makes any sense.

But you'll find nothing but speculation as to what Notre Dame's addition to the ACC was worth.

The South Bend Tribune says about $1M, which might almost make sense. ESPN will always reference "sources" which claim it went from $17M to $20M. (One would think ESPN would be able to cite something more definitive when reporting on an ESPN contract, but they have their reasons, I 'spose.)

So we ask ourselves....if five games a year with Notre Dame are worth $42M a year to ESPN, how is NBC getting away with paying $15-20M for their entire home slate? Answer....ESPN is not paying the ACC an extra $42M for Notre Dame. (Someone mention Notre Dame basketball and I will hunt you down...)

So, no, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt and not even God's own gift Louisville is bringing $22M for themselves and another mil for everyone else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's contract is what it is - I've always thought that NBC's deal with Notre Dame might be the only sports deal that makes any sense.

But you'll find nothing but speculation as to what Notre Dame's addition to the ACC was worth.

The South Bend Tribune says about $1M, which might almost make sense. ESPN will always reference "sources" which claim it went from $17M to $20M. (One would think ESPN would be able to cite something more definitive when reporting on an ESPN contract, but they have their reasons, I 'spose.)

So we ask ourselves....if five games a year with Notre Dame are worth $42M a year to ESPN, how is NBC getting away with paying $15-20M for their entire home slate? Answer....ESPN is not paying the ACC an extra $42M for Notre Dame. (Someone mention Notre Dame basketball and I will hunt you down...)

So, no, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt and not even God's own gift Louisville is bringing $22M for themselves and another mil for everyone else.

Well, lets see:

ND got $15 million a year from NBC before the latest ten year renewal and "X" (undisclosed) afterwards. I have seen ND's ACC basketball share from ESPN at $3-4 million and you concede ND may have added $1million per team to the ACC ($15 million).

By my bad math, that equals at least $33-34 million per year as the value for ND? That is pretty close to the $37 million I mentioned above.

Look, my only point is that, at this time, adding UConn to the ACC has to generate more revenues for the FSU/Clemson, etc... objections to be overcome.

Reaction Score
That's precisely the point. Very little history with these South Atlantics.
That's brilliant. When we had not played Florida State, there necessarily was no needle moving from playing Florida State.

The most important factor in our shift away from playing so many games against midwestern teams and doubling, at least, the number of teams we play from the south is recruiting. FL and GA combined produce considerably more D1 football players than all of the BeeOneGee states combined, including NJ and MD.

There is already history of needle pushing when ND plays Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech and North Carolina. The needle will be pushed when we play Clemson, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

We've played Purdue 85 times and every year since 1946, and ND vs. North Carolina State - not UNC but the number 2 school in the state - will move the national needle at least as much as ND vs. Purdue.

Perhaps the main reason is that southern football is simply much better than northern football.

Reaction Score
That's brilliant. When we had not played Florida State, there necessarily was no needle moving from playing Florida State.

The most important factor in our shift away from playing so many games against midwestern teams and doubling, at least, the number of teams we play from the south is recruiting. FL and GA combined produce considerably more D1 football players than all of the BeeOneGee states combined, including NJ and MD.

There is already history of needle pushing when ND plays Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech and North Carolina. The needle will be pushed when we play Clemson, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

We've played Purdue 85 times and every year since 1946, and ND vs. North Carolina State - not UNC but the number 2 school in the state - will move the national needle at least as much as ND vs. Purdue.

Perhaps the main reason is that southern football is simply much better than northern football.

Playing FSU pushes the needle for anyone. But there's a reason the ACC is known as FSU and the dwarves. The buzz surrounding the ND-B1G games was huge, it's not going to be the same playing the small guys you listed precisely because of their lack of success n football. It can't be emphasized enough. The ACC has not done well at football.

Reaction Score

No thats not the reason...the reason is were better educated in the NE as to the dangers of allowing or exposing our young to the real dangers(as much as it dismays me) of HSFB by parents. We soon may find CFB unrecognizable(also dismaying) in the near future and have maybe Lax try to fill the gap? I hope not!?! FB is FB and great athletes are great athletes even in Maine...nothing but ignorance is superior in the south IMPO. The culture though WILL CHANGE with the rapid northeastification of Fla/Ga and all the other low tax states!

pj

Reaction Score
There are not a lot of Catholics, Irish, or Notre Dame fans in the south. Leaving its heritage for football recruiting grounds could pay off, but it could also turn Notre Dame into just another college football team, especially if it loses a lot of those games.

Reaction Score
Playing FSU pushes the needle for anyone. But there's a reason the ACC is known as FSU and the dwarves. The buzz surrounding the ND-B1G games was huge, it's not going to be the same playing the small guys you listed precisely because of their lack of success n football. It can't be emphasized enough. The ACC has not done well at football.

There was no "buzz" generated by playing Purdue and not that much from playing Michigan State, most years.

The "buzz" was from playing Michigan most years from 1978. FSU/Clemson/Miami, etc... is not that bad of a trade, especially for exposure and recruiting in the South.

There are a number of Northerners, including Catholics, moving to the Carolinas. By not playing Michigan, ND is not in danger of losing too many fans, in my opinion.

ND had lots of fans from 1943-78 when Michigan boycotted ND.

As far as "losing a lots of those games" and the ACC being known as "FSU and the dwarves". It can't be both, right?

Reaction Score
There are not a lot of Catholics, Irish, or Notre Dame fans in the south. Leaving its heritage for football recruiting grounds could pay off, but it could also turn Notre Dame into just another college football team, especially if it loses a lot of those games.
I think we'd be surprised at how many are in traditional Anglo-ScotsIrish states now that a third of the NE is down there bolstering they're population in NC/SC/Ga/Fla since we were kids!?! True enough though that a large segment of the NE is where the IC's have traditionally called home *NH,Mass,NJ,NY,Conn,RI,Del,MD,Pa* but the Irish(due to the railroads+canal's) and more recently the Slav's and Italian's are spread all over the land! Many don't even call themselves Irish anymore(or converted religion) and say American like predecessor's the Scots-Irish further complicating the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom