Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's brilliant. When we had not played Florida State, there necessarily was no needle moving from playing Florida State.

The most important factor in our shift away from playing so many games against midwestern teams and doubling, at least, the number of teams we play from the south is recruiting. FL and GA combined produce considerably more D1 football players than all of the BeeOneGee states combined, including NJ and MD.

There is already history of needle pushing when ND plays Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech and North Carolina. The needle will be pushed when we play Clemson, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

We've played Purdue 85 times and every year since 1946, and ND vs. North Carolina State - not UNC but the number 2 school in the state - will move the national needle at least as much as ND vs. Purdue.

Perhaps the main reason is that southern football is simply much better than northern football.

Personally, I couldn't care less about Notre Dame and their motives for wanting to play in the ACC vs B1G. I'm simply replying to your statement that I bolded. Yes, right now, southern football is better than northern football. There is absolutely no disputing that at all - championships don't lie and there is no disputing the success that southern college football has had in the past decade +. Sports are cyclical though. So we have to ask why southern football is better than northern football. I've got a few potential reasons (my opinion, nothing more):

- uptempo offenses will, for the most part, favor southern football. When there is absolutely zero weather concern during the season (maybe 1 game per season), it is much easier to run an uptempo speed game than it is in the north. Now, that doesn't explain why Oregon is so successful at running a high octane offense. I guess there are exceptions to the rule (not to mention, Oregon recruits southern CA very heavily), but the majority of uptempo offenses in the south are going to be able to run it much more smoothly than in the north when they do not have to worry about the elements. High school factories in the south can therefore prep their kids appropriately all year. High school factories in the north, which traditionally produced the better (but slower) OL/DL and strength prospects, are growing more and more obsolete as the game continues to get faster.

- the rules favor uptempo offenses, for now. This applies across all levels of football, right on up to the pros. Defensive players aren't allowed to touch receivers, they can only hit in certain areas of the body (safety concerns are justified), defenses can not substitute players who are gasping for air without using a precious timeout, and defensive players who are injured are booed relentless and face a possible penalty for delay of game so there is real pressure to fight through. Thus far, all of the safety rules passed favor offense. Offenses are allowed to pick (albeit through a disguised "route") defensive players and, as we saw with Aqib Talib in the AFC Championship Game, injure. If the same contact went the other way (Talib hit Welker), he gets a flag. Granted, the same set of rules apply to both northern and southern football so maybe southern football has been quicker to adapt to the changes than northern football. But let's see what happens when somebody finally figures out that it is equally as dangerous to play defensive football as it is to be on offense and some rules are introduced to slow down the game. It is almost criminal that defenses aren't allowed to substitute out a player who is having an asthma attack or who got injured 3 plays ago but it isn't quite serious enough to warrant going down. Protecting the defensive player is every bit as important as protecting the offensive player...it just hasn't been adopted yet because there is more money to be made by allowing uptempo offense. And while conferences and schools make money on uptempo offense, this will be slow to change.

- big games are all located in climate controlled venues. The one very real advantage northern football has over southern football is playing in the elements. I LOVE that this past Super Bowl was held in New York/New Jersey. I hope that the college game follows the NFL's lead and alternates playoff games in northern venues that are not protected from the weather outside. There is no reason, if schedules align, why games can't be played at Soldier Field or MetLife Stadium. I want to see southern schools play in the elements, the way football is made to be played. I want to see uptempo offenses be forced into adjusting their game plans to incorporate more of a power ground game because the footing isn't there to continue to be pass-happy. At some point, you have to think that the college game will test it out like the NFL did last year and play a big game in the north. When that day happens, I think you will see a leveling off. Had Notre Dame played Alabama at Soldier Field or MetLife in early January, then I would wager a hefty sum that the game would have been MUCH closer than it was.

These are my opinions. There is no doubt that southern football is the rule of the roost right now. That said, rules change constantly and as a fan of a northern football school, I hope that they do. I realize that offense boosts ratings but there has to be a way to give defenses a fighting chance. Perhaps there could be a 5-10 second substitution period before the play clock starts between plays to allow for each side to make an unpenalized substitution? When you slow the game and put more emphasis on a power running game, you should start to see a more equal playing field between north and southern football. And how about the buzz/ratings that would come from a Playoff game played in the snow? I'd watch that the same way I love to watch NFL games played in extreme weather and I know I wouldn't be alone.

You can't blame Notre Dame for taking advantage of their sweetheart deal and moving football to the ACC. If UCONN had a sweetheart deal where we had our own TV deal and a conference that made us a very generous offer to play their schools while being able to remain Independent to make our TV millions, I'd want that too. Tapping into southern high school football will be huge for them and allow for Notre Dame to play more of a "southern" style of game with smaller but faster players. Since that's the trend of today's football, it's smart for Notre Dame to align with a southern presence. And let's be honest, the ACC offers Notre Dame a selection of MUCH easier opponents to play against than the SEC does. It's really a no-brainer for them.

Anyway, I've wasted enough energy thinking about Notre Dame. Go UCONN! :D

Reaction Score
Personally, I couldn't care less about Notre Dame and their motives for wanting to play in the ACC vs B1G. I'm simply replying to your statement that I bolded. Yes, right now, southern football is better than northern football. There is absolutely no disputing that at all - championships don't lie and there is no disputing the success that southern college football has had in the past decade +. Sports are cyclical though. So we have to ask why southern football is better than northern football. I've got a few potential reasons (my opinion, nothing more):

- uptempo offenses will, for the most part, favor southern football. When there is absolutely zero weather concern during the season (maybe 1 game per season), it is much easier to run an uptempo speed game than it is in the north. Now, that doesn't explain why Oregon is so successful at running a high octane offense. I guess there are exceptions to the rule (not to mention, Oregon recruits southern CA very heavily), but the majority of uptempo offenses in the south are going to be able to run it much more smoothly than in the north when they do not have to worry about the elements. High school factories in the south can therefore prep their kids appropriately all year. High school factories in the north, which traditionally produced the better (but slower) OL/DL and strength prospects, are growing more and more obsolete as the game continues to get faster.

- the rules favor uptempo offenses, for now. This applies across all levels of football, right on up to the pros. Defensive players aren't allowed to touch receivers, they can only hit in certain areas of the body (safety concerns are justified), defenses can not substitute players who are gasping for air without using a precious timeout, and defensive players who are injured are booed relentless and face a possible penalty for delay of game so there is real pressure to fight through. Thus far, all of the safety rules passed favor offense. Offenses are allowed to pick (albeit through a disguised "route") defensive players and, as we saw with Aqib Talib in the AFC Championship Game, injure. If the same contact went the other way (Talib hit Welker), he gets a flag. Granted, the same set of rules apply to both northern and southern football so maybe southern football has been quicker to adapt to the changes than northern football. But let's see what happens when somebody finally figures out that it is equally as dangerous to play defensive football as it is to be on offense and some rules are introduced to slow down the game. It is almost criminal that defenses aren't allowed to substitute out a player who is having an asthma attack or who got injured 3 plays ago but it isn't quite serious enough to warrant going down. Protecting the defensive player is every bit as important as protecting the offensive player...it just hasn't been adopted yet because there is more money to be made by allowing uptempo offense. And while conferences and schools make money on uptempo offense, this will be slow to change.

- big games are all located in climate controlled venues. The one very real advantage northern football has over southern football is playing in the elements. I LOVE that this past Super Bowl was held in New York/New Jersey. I hope that the college game follows the NFL's lead and alternates playoff games in northern venues that are not protected from the weather outside. There is no reason, if schedules align, why games can't be played at Soldier Field or MetLife Stadium. I want to see southern schools play in the elements, the way football is made to be played. I want to see uptempo offenses be forced into adjusting their game plans to incorporate more of a power ground game because the footing isn't there to continue to be pass-happy. At some point, you have to think that the college game will test it out like the NFL did last year and play a big game in the north. When that day happens, I think you will see a leveling off. Had Notre Dame played Alabama at Soldier Field or MetLife in early January, then I would wager a hefty sum that the game would have been MUCH closer than it was.

These are my opinions. There is no doubt that southern football is the rule of the roost right now. That said, rules change constantly and as a fan of a northern football school, I hope that they do. I realize that offense boosts ratings but there has to be a way to give defenses a fighting chance. Perhaps there could be a 5-10 second substitution period before the play clock starts between plays to allow for each side to make an unpenalized substitution? When you slow the game and put more emphasis on a power running game, you should start to see a more equal playing field between north and southern football. And how about the buzz/ratings that would come from a Playoff game played in the snow? I'd watch that the same way I love to watch NFL games played in extreme weather and I know I wouldn't be alone.

You can't blame Notre Dame for taking advantage of their sweetheart deal and moving football to the ACC. If UCONN had a sweetheart deal where we had our own TV deal and a conference that made us a very generous offer to play their schools while being able to remain Independent to make our TV millions, I'd want that too. Tapping into southern high school football will be huge for them and allow for Notre Dame to play more of a "southern" style of game with smaller but faster players. Since that's the trend of today's football, it's smart for Notre Dame to align with a southern presence. And let's be honest, the ACC offers Notre Dame a selection of MUCH easier opponents to play against than the SEC does. It's really a no-brainer for them.

I think the one thing you left out, and it is not ND-centric, is that many/most of the best high school football players are in the South, not the North.

As a Yankee, born and bred, and an exile living in the South, I don't like that. But, I have to accept that is the case. The numbers over many years tell the tale. I don't see that changing.

ND's move into the Southeast with the ACC is part of that. It would benefit UConn football as well. I would like to see UConn join the ACC, mainly because I have always disliked the Big Ten intensely since about 1967-8 or so.

Competitively speaking, the Big Ten schools may have a recruiting disadvantage that may stretch into the foreseeable future.

Time will tell.

I think that it already shows with the Big Ten's performance versus the SEC the past decade or so.

I want UConn in the ACC, but not for any altruistic reasons.

I would want it to/for the extent of sticking a finger into Jim Delany's eye, but I don't pay the bills at the ACC schools.

Reaction Score
There was no "buzz" generated by playing Purdue and not that much from playing Michigan State, most years.

The "buzz" was from playing Michigan most years from 1978. FSU/Clemson/Miami, etc... is not that bad of a trade, especially for exposure and recruiting in the South.

There are a number of Northerners, including Catholics, moving to the Carolinas. By not playing Michigan, ND is not in danger of losing too many fans, in my opinion.

ND had lots of fans from 1943-78 when Michigan boycotted ND.

As far as "losing a lots of those games" and the ACC being known as "FSU and the dwarves". It can't be both, right?

There are so many midwesterners with ND ties and obviously state school ties that there was a lot of buzz. As for your last point, come again?

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think the one thing you left out, and it is not ND-centric, is that many/most of the best high school football players are in the South, not the North.

As a Yankee, born and bred, and an exile living in the South, I don't like that. But, I have to accept that is the case. The numbers over many years tell the tale. I don't see that changing.

ND's move into the Southeast with the ACC is part of that. It would benefit UConn football as well. I would like to see UConn join the ACC, mainly because I have always disliked the Big Ten intensely since about 1967-8 or so.

Competitively speaking, the Big Ten schools may have a recruiting disadvantage that may stretch into the foreseeable future.

Time will tell.

I think that it already shows with the Big Ten's performance versus the SEC the past decade or so.

I want UConn in the ACC, but not for any altruistic reasons.

I would want it to/for the extent of sticking a finger into Jim Delany's eye, but I don't pay the bills at the ACC schools.

I touched on it but I think the difference in recruiting is this (my opinion only):

southern high school football - focus more on speed, athleticism; not as big/strong = more equipped to play uptempo, speed game
northern high school football - bigger/stronger kids (especially in strength positions like OL/DL) but not as fast or athletic = next to useless in an uptempo, speed game

But you're right. Southern high school football is the more desirable recruiting area for colleges BY FAR. Schools may continue to mine northern states to beef up their lines but the majority of speed and athleticism is found in the south. It's been like that for as long as I can remember but the game itself has changed to better accommodate those types of recruits. So yes, it definitely makes sense to try to gain more of a southern presence for football recruiting for as long as these set of rules remain in place to favor uptempo speed.

Reaction Score
There are so many midwesterners with ND ties and obviously state school ties that there was a lot of buzz. As for your last point, come again?

I want UConn in the ACC so that, if Jim Delany wants UConn, he is rebuffed. If it would benefit the Big Ten in any way to add UConn, I don't want that to happen. I would want UConn in the ACC , instead, for my own personal reasons.

But, for the decision makers in the ACC, the addition of UConn would have to make economic sense. That is what I meant by saying that I don't pay the bills for the ACC schools. Revenue gain for the ACC is not a big deal to me. It is paramount to the guys making the realignment calls, though.

As to your first point, not many people associated with ND cared too much for the Purdue games. It meant way more to Purdue fans than ND fans. ND is going to play Purdue and Michigan State, just not every year. Michigan? Who knows?

Reaction Score
I don't buy the Southern football is better than Northern football, but I do buy that the Southern schools have devoted more resources to winning than the Northern schools. And I do buy that Southern high school players are more fully developed in high school than Northern high school kids. (And it certainly helps the SEC schools by over signing and running off players.)

Think about this. Have Northern schools like Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, ... ever hired (and paid) top football coaches? Penn St had an elderly Joe Paterno way past his prime. (Clearly, PSU is on the upswing with the James Franklin hire.) Michigan has floundered over the past few years with bad coaching fits. Honestly, the only Northern school that has been totally committed to football over the past decade has been Ohio St. (West Virginia and Cincinnati have had success with good coaches, but the coaches eventually left.)

Compare this to the SEC. South Carolina, never a power in the SEC, hires Steve Spurrier to become relevant. LSU hires Les Miles after floundering for a few years. Alabama hires Nick Saban to rebuild the program. Texas A&M hires Kevin Sumlin. Arkansas hires Brett Bielema from Wisconsin. And on and on.

Reaction Score

I saw somewhere on RU's board a few minutes ago some retired RU professor said he heard from a high ranking UConn official that UConn was going to the B12!?! I only know the rumour no 1st hand knowledge ....not sure but think it was on BB board?

Reaction Score
I saw somewhere on RU's board a few minutes ago some retired RU professor said he heard from a high ranking UConn official that UConn was going to the B12!?! I only know the rumour no 1st hand knowledge ....not sure but think it was on BB board?

If true (and I have my doubts), I would understand the move (use any cliche' here, "Any port in a storm", "Last life boat off the Titanic"), but it is certainly far less desirable than the Big Ten or even the ACC (distance, being an "island", etc..).

That would mean that UConn's leaders absolutely know that an invitation from the Big Ten and/or the ACC in the foreseeable future is not possible.

Reaction Score
If true (and I have my doubts), I would understand the move (use any cliche' here, "Any port in a storm", "Last life boat off the Titanic"), but it is certainly far less desirable than the Big Ten or even the ACC (distance, being an "island", etc..).

That would mean that UConn's leaders absolutely know that an invitation from the Big Ten and/or the ACC in the foreseeable future is not possible.
I agree I would like to see them come into the B1G for my own reasons plus think they are a B1G type school and earned the payday but WV needs partners according to the comment section/thread there!?! Maybe it'll push the B1G or ACC to move quicker as the irons hot right now for UConn!!!

Reaction Score
There was no "buzz" generated by playing Purdue and not that much from playing Michigan State, most years.

Perhaps not, but the viewers were there. As you may recall, it was a bigger TV draw than ND vs. ASU in Dallas (North Texas).

And without that final score by ND there would have been a huge "buzz".

Reaction Score
UConn to the Big 12-2 is borderline crazy.
Cinn and UConn together make more sense.

Or that when the NCAA thing shakes out it will be a lot better in a P5 conference.
The doors of access will be closed.
I still think our presidents goal is the B1G. But that may be years away.

Reaction Score
I want UConn in the ACC so that, if Jim Delany wants UConn, he is rebuffed. If it would benefit the Big Ten in any way to add UConn, I don't want that to happen. I would want UConn in the ACC , instead, for my own personal reasons.

But, for the decision makers in the ACC, the addition of UConn would have to make economic sense. That is what I meant by saying that I don't pay the bills for the ACC schools. Revenue gain for the ACC is not a big deal to me. It is paramount to the guys making the realignment calls, though.

As to your first point, not many people associated with ND cared too much for the Purdue games. It meant way more to Purdue fans than ND fans. ND is going to play Purdue and Michigan State, just not every year. Michigan? Who knows?

As UConn fans have found out from playing games in the AAC, the amount of money you make is contingent on the amount of buzz you generate. Playing in the AAC means we get a lot less buzz from ESPN even though we have more exposure than all ACC schools except for UNC and Duke.

This is precisely why it's impossible to quantify how much money a school brings. If, say, the B1G were to add Kansas and UConn, and thereby lock down the title of best bball conference ever, the conference would draw the best players and create more buzz. Impossible to quantify.

At best, we can look at UConn's licensing revenue and determine that UConn had 2x as much rev as any other old BE member (football schools), and that SNY bumped its per month rate from $1.60 to $2.50+ after adding UConn, and SNY moved from the sports package tier to basic across all systems. We also know the women get very high ratings. That's easy to quantify, and its easy to realize that UConn presents a compelling draw for TV when compared to Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, BC and West Virginia. Whether that amounts to a net plus for the ACC or not, we can't know and perhaps never will know. What is known is that ESPN owns UConn's right for a lark.

If something doesn't break for UConn in the next 5 years, I expect a huge whammy of a lawsuit. Not based on the divergences between conference but on the current P5 documents set to be voted on this summer.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I would be pretty surprised if UCONN went to the B12. We would be the extreme outlier for the conference and the conference is already bemoaning the fact that WVU is an outlier. From a cultural standpoint, we don't have much in common with Texas, OU, okielite (oh no, would that mean we would have to lift the BY ban on that fool??), Texas Tech, etc. But, B12 is 1000x better than where we are in the AAC and we'd all open the jump with open arms! And the travel is essentially the same as it is now for us in the AAC so no real change there...but a HUGE bump to media coverage, credibility and buzz.

I wonder if we'll hear some of these "high placed source" rumors in the next 6-12 months to try to pressure the B1G or ACC into an invite (?).

Reaction Score
As UConn fans have found out from playing games in the AAC, the amount of money you make is contingent on the amount of buzz you generate. Playing in the AAC means we get a lot less buzz from ESPN even though we have more exposure than all ACC schools except for UNC and Duke.

This is precisely why it's impossible to quantify how much money a school brings. If, say, the B1G were to add Kansas and UConn, and thereby lock down the title of best bball conference ever, the conference would draw the best players and create more buzz. Impossible to quantify.

At best, we can look at UConn's licensing revenue and determine that UConn had 2x as much rev as any other old BE member (football schools), and that SNY bumped its per month rate from $1.60 to $2.50+ after adding UConn, and SNY moved from the sports package tier to basic across all systems. We also know the women get very high ratings. That's easy to quantify, and its easy to realize that UConn presents a compelling draw for TV when compared to Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, BC and West Virginia. Whether that amounts to a net plus for the ACC or not, we can't know and perhaps never will know. What is known is that ESPN owns UConn's right for a lark.

If something doesn't break for UConn in the next 5 years, I expect a huge whammy of a lawsuit. Not based on the divergences between conference but on the current P5 documents set to be voted on this summer.

UCONN has some BE exit money to tie us over until we are in a P5 conference. As others have mentioned, we are in year 2 of a 5 years plan. If by end of year 5 and we are still where we are now, we got some major problems. I do expect some huge lawsuit coming, especially if the UMD lawsuit revealed anything interesting. There is zero doubt in my mind that ACC and ESPiN worked together to destroy the BE and left UCONN where we are. ESPiN got 100% ownership of the ACC rights as a result of all the insider information. Someone needs to explain to me why all those lesser schools (many of them in the ACC) like BCU, fruits, Pitt and others got the P5 lifeboat and we are still where we are.

Dooley

Reaction Score
UCONN has some BE exit money to tie us over until we are in a P5 conference. As others have mentioned, we are in year 2 of a 5 years plan. If by end of year 5 and we are still where we are now, we got some major problems. I do expect some huge lawsuit coming, especially if the UMD lawsuit revealed anything interesting. There is zero doubt in my mind that ACC and ESPiN worked together to destroy the BE and left UCONN where we are. ESPiN got 100% ownership of the ACC rights as a result of all the insider information. Someone needs to explain to me why all those lesser schools (many of them in the ACC) like BCU, fruits, Pitt and others got the P5 lifeboat and we are still where we are.

Completely agree. If we enter 2019 as AAC members and still show a desire to pour P5 expenses into our AD like we have been, then out come the lawsuits. Until then, all we can do is improve our profile and case (and that includes us fans by buying tickets, traveling with the team, donating, buying/wearing merchandise, etc).

Reaction Score
I would be pretty surprised if UCONN went to the B12. We would be the extreme outlier for the conference and the conference is already bemoaning the fact that WVU is an outlier. From a cultural standpoint, we don't have much in common with Texas, OU, okielite (oh no, would that mean we would have to lift the BY ban on that fool??), Texas Tech, etc. But, B12 is 1000x better than where we are in the AAC and we'd all open the jump with open arms! And the travel is essentially the same as it is now for us in the AAC so no real change there...but a HUGE bump to media coverage, credibility and buzz.

I wonder if we'll hear some of these "high placed source" rumors in the next 6-12 months to try to pressure the B1G or ACC into an invite (?).
This is the kind of opening we(UConn) need to accelerate this slow efin AAU process to keep our head above water finacially,recruiting etc etc...no u know i want the big eastern schools to stay together. Keep ur fingers crossed!!Good luck..

Reaction Score
UConn to the Big 12-2 is borderline crazy.
Cinn and UConn together make more sense.

Or that when the NCAA thing shakes out it will be a lot better in a P5 conference.
The doors of access will be closed.
I still think our presidents goal is the B1G. But that may be years away.
I think Cinncy and possibly the 2 Fla schools were also mentioned as possibilities? I guess they need to expand there limited footprint into bigger markets to stem the ACC!?!

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think Cinncy and possibly the 2 Fla schools were also mentioned as possibilities? I guess they need to expand there limited footprint into bigger markets to stem the ACC!?!

If UCONN were added to the B12, I think it would only be as part of a HUGE move by Bowlsby to expand by maybe 4-6 schools. UCF and Cincinnati would definitely be in the mix. I'd expect that they dial up BYU and see if there's any interest in joining. USF would give the conference a two school dip into Florida to help create an edge in recruiting and combining the Orlando/Tampa markets would be great for TV. Memphis might get consideration (academics are not of concern to the B12) for their basketball, decent market and recruiting ground, and bigger football stadium (think growth potential). Maybe even Temple to give us a northeastern rival if they decide that their lease increase at the Linc from $1M to $2M per game is too much and building their own stadium is the right move.

I do not see UCONN being added by ourselves though. Also, I'm giving this "high placed" rumor from a RU board waaaaaaaay too much credit. I have zero proof that the rumor originated from West Virginia and, thus, has no factual rumor backbone. :)

Reaction Score
No thats not the reason...the reason is were better educated in the NE as to the dangers of allowing or exposing our young to the real dangers(as much as it dismays me) of HSFB by parents. We soon may find CFB unrecognizable(also dismaying) in the near future and have maybe Lax try to fill the gap? I hope not!?! FB is FB and great athletes are great athletes even in Maine...nothing but ignorance is superior in the south IMPO. The culture though WILL CHANGE with the rapid northeastification of Fla/Ga and all the other low tax states!
Ah yes, if only the parents of kids in Maine were not so well educated about the dangers of football that state would produce as much football talent as FL. And once a bunch of Jersey types overrun FL, FL will produce no more football talent than New England.

Jersey thinking apparently is something special. It belongs in the BeeOneGee.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the Southern football is better than Northern football, but I do buy that the Southern schools have devoted more resources to winning than the Northern schools. And I do buy that Southern high school players are more fully developed in high school than Northern high school kids. (And it certainly helps the SEC schools by over signing and running off players.)

Think about this. Have Northern schools like Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, ... ever hired (and paid) top football coaches? Penn St had an elderly Joe Paterno way past his prime. (Clearly, PSU is on the upswing with the James Franklin hire.) Michigan has floundered over the past few years with bad coaching fits. Honestly, the only Northern school that has been totally committed to football over the past decade has been Ohio St. (West Virginia and Cincinnati have had success with good coaches, but the coaches eventually left.)

Compare this to the SEC. South Carolina, never a power in the SEC, hires Steve Spurrier to become relevant. LSU hires Les Miles after floundering for a few years. Alabama hires Nick Saban to rebuild the program. Texas A&M hires Kevin Sumlin. Arkansas hires Brett Bielema from Wisconsin. And on and on.
And the vast majority of the players on those many ranked and national champion teams come from the south.

When you have teams from the midwest - let's say the midwest and the northeast - win 9 consecutive national championships with each of those teams overwhelmingly made up of players from the midwest and northeast, your analysis will make sense.

The Bugeyes hired Urban Meyer precisely because he can recruit FL and other southern states.

Reaction Score
Ah yes, if only the parents of kids in Maine were not so well educated about the dangers of football that state would produce as much football talent as FL. And once a bunch of Jersey types overrun FL, FL will produce no more football talent than New England.

You knew what i was talking about! No need to act snarky like certain trollish posters here..

Reaction Score
And the vast majority of the players on those many ranked and national champion teams come from the south.

When you have teams from the midwest - let's say the midwest and the northeast - win 9 consecutive national championships with each of those teams overwhelmingly made up of players from the midwest and northeast, your analysis will make sense.

The Bugeyes hired Urban Meyer precisely because he can recruit FL and other southern states.
Then why does the U seem to like NE guys and even FSU recruiters are usually NY'NJ types?? We exported great coaching and talent down south not visa versa.

Reaction Score

Or maybe at ND with easterner BK as HC after CW!! Get off you're underachieving high horse clown.

Reaction Score
It's more than that. If the ACC champ beats a 8-4 team in the conference championship game it could hurt the winner relative to other conference champions for inclusion in the playoff.

Agreed.

Reaction Score
Replacing the B1G schools on the schedule is a sacrifice. The buzz in the midwest when the B1G schools take on ND is huge. ND vs. Virginia doesn't move the needle. But ND has to do it. They need to stay independent as long as possible. But at the end of the day... B1G!

The Midwest is going to have to get a Buzz now over Rutgers. ND is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom