Lets be honest here, BCS jobs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lets be honest here, BCS jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
dont misunderstand....i wasnt comparing the 2.

I never liked randy

i was saying players matter much more in BBall than in Fball.

Reaction Score
I really don't feel we need a coach who's here for 15+ years. Utah is a great example. They got Urban Meyer. He put them on the map and then left soon after. But he set the foundation for the program and the PAC-10 came calling a few years after. Now no one questions Utah as a capable football program.

Similarly - we just need a coach who can give the program a spark to show that we can compete with the best of them on the field, in recruiting and in the stands. Therefore I really don't think we should worry about how long a coach will stay here. If a coach leaves us, it probably will mean we had some very strong seasons.

Reaction Score
To answer the OP - I think a way of of gauging where the program is on the BCS totem poll is by looking at coaches salaries. We pay our head coach more than many BCS programs thus I think it's safe to presume that we are a more "desirable" destination than most of them.

Reaction Score
Am I wrong in my analysis?

Jesus wasn't popular in his day either with everyone.

You have overstated the point you are making by a good deal, but your underlying point -- that we accomplished much more during Edsall's tenure than a rational person would have expected -- is extremely unpopular and extremely accurate.

Reaction Score
To answer the original poster we have not been a fbs program as long as any of them. The fact that we got in a major conference and made it to a bcs bowl in as short a period of time is remarkable. We have many 8 win seasons to date, we are having a two year bad spell. Look up the schools you posted and count how many sub six win seasons each of them had and post your answer please

Reaction Score
Edsall was very good at beating teams that were worse than UConn or as good as UConn. He just couldn't beat the teams that were better than UConn. That's why his record against ranked opponents at UConn was so pathetic.

Obviously now we would all take that over what we have now, but I think as a program we can get to a level where Cincy is/was, where they have won a ton of games over the last five years.

Reaction Score
I remember when nobody thought that Oregon or Oregon St (both top ten today, both ranked numerous times over the past fifteen years) could ever play .500 football. I remember when experts felt that two wins in conference during any season was the best that Northwestern could ever hope for. I remember when the only thing of note about Kansas St football was that (up until ~ 1995) they had more no win seasons than they had .500 or better seasons (I believe it was 7-5 when Snyder first took over the program in the late 1980's).

I left out other success stories as some were from locations where they have inherent advantages over us and I'll even exclude Oregon due to Nike (Knight) money but two secondary state schools where there is not a load of HS talent and a small private school with ridiculously stringent academic requirements were able to turn their programs into something worth following. I refuse to believe that we cannot do the same.
Lot of Nike money at Oregon state as well...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
UConn isn't a great job, but it's not the worst BCS job.

Good facilities, being the only game in town, being a big public, and having an administration that puts a premium on athletics are big advantages.

We are a better job than Duke, Wake, Indiana, Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado, and Washington State off the top of my head- though we probably can't afford to pay a coach as much as those schools can.

Our job is probably on par with BC, Cuse, Temple and the like. I think those are fair comparisons.

Reaction Score
Edsall was very good at beating teams that were worse than UConn or as good as UConn. He just couldn't beat the teams that were better than UConn. That's why his record against ranked opponents at UConn was so pathetic.

Obviously now we would all take that over what we have now, but I think as a program we can get to a level where Cincy is/was, where they have won a ton of games over the last
five years.

Biz says otherwise . . . Lol. But for many others, hard to argue with your observation

Reaction Score

Good facilities, being the only game in town, being a big public, and having an administration that puts a premium on athletics are big advantages.

We are a better job than Duke, Wake, Indiana, Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado,
and Washington State off the top of my head- though we probably can't afford to pay a coach as much as those schools can.

Our job is probably on par with BC, Cuse, Temple and the like. I think those are fair comparisons.

This is major college football, we'd better be able to pay a coach as much as the schools younthink we can't. The ones you have us on par with are not really what we should be aspiring to be like. . . and they're all in the Northeast. We really need to create some separation from them and the unflattering way the rest of the country looks at this region.

Reaction Score
This is major college football, we'd better be able to pay a coach as much as the schools younthink we can't. The ones you have us on par with are not really what we should be aspiring to be like. . . and they're all in the Northeast. We really need to create some separation from them and the unflattering way the rest of the country looks at this region.

Agreed. There is a huge opening to own the NE if we get the right guy.

Reaction Score

We are a better job than Duke, Wake, Indiana, Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado, and Washington State off the top of my head- though we probably can't afford to pay a coach as much as those schools can.

We're paying our coach 1.6M that is more than what most of the schools on your list pay. Think we are clearly better job than Temple. We're on the same level as BC and SU though we probably have a higher ceiling as we are a flagship public university with a proven track record in big time college athletics.

Reaction Score
You can't ignore the underlying truth exhibited by the OP.

Because of this....
8088392325_f10566a271_b.jpg

Reaction Score
Athletics programs can offer this: (multi million dollar facility for SOFTBALL!)
5611591431_5ff7ee46b9_b.jpg

....when a top assistant coaching staff averages more than $500K/yr, you are forced to laugh at a school that pays their head coach little more than an intern.

Would anyone disagree with my argument that UConn needs to pay its head coach more than a SEC special teams coach? Or more disturbingly....if a top NCAA baseball coach makes $500K/yr, isn't a football coach worth 10x that amount????

Reaction Score
Athletics programs can offer this: (multi million dollar facility for SOFTBALL!)

....when a top assistant coaching staff averages more than $500K/yr, you are forced to laugh at a school that pays their head coach little more than an intern.

Would anyone disagree with my argument that UConn needs to pay its head coach more than a SEC special teams coach? Or more disturbingly....if a top NCAA baseball coach makes $500K/yr, isn't a football coach worth 10x that amount????

Baseball is far more important at LSU than most other schools. Meanwhile, UConn almost always leads the country in attendance for soccer. Different interests for different schools.

Reaction Score
Thankfully, we have more things to do around here than worship college teams as much as they do down south.

Keep in mind that the north created collegiate sports for you bored people down south.

Reaction Score
Forgot to add. What a dumb fuckig original post. Comparing Edsall to Calhoun? What the were you drinking? Glue?

Reaction Score

There is one coach in the country making over $5 million/year in NCAA football. Mack Brown at Texas.

Chris Peterson is making $1.7 million/year.
Chip Kelly makes $2.8
UConn can find a great coach for $2 million/year.

Pasqualoni makes $1.6 this year, and it goes up yearly till 2015 at $1.9 million. Which SEC special teams coach is making $1.5-1.8 million a year?

Reaction Score
Baseball is far more important at LSU than most other schools. Meanwhile, UConn almost always leads the country in attendance for soccer. Different interests for different schools.

I agree. But.... when does UConn invest $20,000,000 to improve the Marrone facility? When can we expect a $75mil for a "student athlete learning" facility? When does the baseball team get a $20mil stadium? At the very least, doesn't Husky Nan's polo team deserve a $5mil stable???

Reaction Score
I agree. But.... when does UConn invest $20,000,000 to improve the Marrone facility? When can we expect a $75mil for a "student athlete learning" facility? When does the baseball team get a $20mil stadium? At the very least, doesn't Husky Nan's polo team deserve a $5mil stable???
"Most recently in 2011, Morrone Stadium was named the FIFTH-BEST venue to watch soccer in the NCAA."

Does it really matter?

Reaction Score
Anyone care to explain why a head football coach gives a flying about the soccer stadium or baseball stadium?

Are the recruits visiting those facilities or the Burton/Shenkman $34 million facilities?

I thought the discussion was about the attractiveness of the job for a football coach.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members