KState Will Not Release Leticia Romero | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KState Will Not Release Leticia Romero

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
Well I think they believe there has been tampering. And they probably believe they are standing up for doing things right.

But at this point, even if there was tampering, (there doesn't seem to be, but who knows maybe they have some evidence???) the sh!tstorm is too big (or getting too big) and it's best to just cut your losses and move on.

It's definitely getting out of control, and you do have to wonder that maybe they're digging their heels in because they think they're right on principle for whatever reason that we are not being told. I mean, who else would do such a thing in the face of such negative publicity? that said I could always go listen to 'Hop on Pop' being read on c-span

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Well let's not be ridiculous here. She can leave anytime she wants and go to any school that will accept her. She's not a hostage. I know she would have to pay and can't play, but that's very different than being held hostage.

We certainly have no idea of her financial circumstances. If she was one of my impoverished kids from the Bronx, no way could she pay her own way. A virtual hostage at least.
Meyer, sorry to disagree so vehemently, but feels an awful lot like; "Let em eat cake."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's definitely getting out of control, and you do have to wonder that maybe they're digging their heels in because they think they're right on principle for whatever reason that we are not being told. I mean, who else would do such a thing in the face of such negative publicity? that said I could always go listen to 'Hop on Pop' being read on c-span
That's what I'm thinking. Right on principle. (what they believe) It seems like they think they are making a strong stand on principle for what is right. ???? (and some face saving too)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We certainly have no idea of her financial circumstances. If she was one of my impoverished kids from the Bronx, no way could she pay her own way. A virtual hostage at least.
Meyer, sorry to disagree so vehemently, but feels an awful lot like; "Let em eat cake."
I understand she most likely can't afford to go elsewhere (and she's in a foreign country to boot), BUT, she is not being forced to stay there either. Completely different from being held "hostage".

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I keep asking myself, why is the U behaving in this manner?
Which seems alien to the views of many of our posters.
And here I skirt close (or over) the line on board legality…feel free to delete or edit.

Have we considered the cultural differences between say Storrs and Manhattan Kansas?
How they feel about their students with regard to rights and privileges?
Especially woman?
Isn't their behavior, strangely consistent?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
A few items from Mechelle Voepel's chat yesterday...

S.R. (A.A.)

What's next for Leti Romero

Mechelle Voepel
(2:57 PM)

At this point, Kansas State seems to be digging in deeper, and any kind of real leadership or reason is gone out the window. Leti Romero has visited some junior colleges, and she might be forced to take that option, even though that is not what she wants to do. She's supposed to be going home to the Canary Islands later this month, and she's running out of time to make some decisions. John Currie, Pat Bosco, Kirk Schultz and Jeff Mittie could actually show leadership and stop hiding behind smokescreens of "We followed our procedures" and "It's out of my hands," and all the other pass-the-buck excuses that have come out of Kansas State lately. Now they are into bunker-down bureacrat mode, and it's infuriating and pathetic. Kansas State as a school and athletic department, and Manhattan as a community deserve better than the malevolent clown show this has become. Leti Romero certainly deserved better.

Lisa (NYC)

Can the NCAA investigate or intervene in the situation with Romero at Kansas State or is this truly under the sole control of the school?

Mechelle Voepel
(3:06 PM)

I don't know if the NCAA would get involved with this ... they don't seem to see that they would have jurisdiction. But that's part of the broader issue that all of us media and fans who follow college sports point to ... what are an athlete's options when a school does something like this? An athlete was completely denied her release, her appeal was in front of people who work at the same school (even if they aren't in the athletic department) and then the release was denied again. And neither had to give the student any reason. The athletic director says he can't comment publically, but then does on Twitter. The school gets bad publicity, so finally the AD - who didn't talk to the athlete before denying her release - finally summons her to his office to say, "I'll write a letter to the appeal committee to see if they'll reconsider." They won't. Oh, but then it changes to, "Wait, actually maybe we can release you to some schools you don't have any interest in going to." Then it's, "Actually, there will be *no* release at all, the committee's decision was final and we have no way to revisit it ... even if the coach and athletic director now are saying they want to give you a release." Yeah, that's what Romero has been dealing with. That's why she went to the media and finally got a lawyer. But what options does she really have that are expedient enough to help her for the coming school year?

And a final throw in....

jbb1985 (not mobile)

Would you have three POY candidates for next WCBB season?

Mechelle Voepel
(3:20 PM)

Can I list Breanna Stewart three times? :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
No one has denied that;
1; She was recruited by Patterson and her staff.
2. Patterson and her staff were fired
3. She asked for a release and submitted a list of 100 schools.
4. None of the previous coaching staff was at any of these schools.
5. Nevertheless, the AD recommended that her application be denied, without having ever discussed it with her.
6. The anonymous "committee" followed their wishes and denied it.
7. She appealed the decision in good time.
8. After a little heat was generated, the AD (pro forma, at least) applied to the committee to reverse its decision.
9, The committee again refused.
10. The only excuse or reason given is a vague "feeling" that someone on the old coaching staff may have "tampered" with her.
11. Currie now expresses his satisfaction that this did not happen.
12. The University officials are saying that, because it is written in their rules, it cannot be corrected.

What more facts are necessary?

Rumor has it that these "iron clad rules" have indeed been set aside in the past for other students, but I have not seen actual cases cited.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Rumor has it that these "iron clad rules" have indeed been set aside in the past for other students, but I have not seen actual cases cited.
Not a rumor. From the Kevin Haskin article linked above:

"Clearly, several basketball players have transferred from Kansas State in recent seasons. Many did so when it was apparent the staffs they played for at K-State did not wish them to remain in the Wildcat programs. Is it permissible for a player to leave only if K-State does not want a player around?"

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
elzorrogris said:
No one has denied that;
1; She was recruited by Patterson and her staff.
2. Patterson and her staff were fired
3. She asked for a release and submitted a list of 100 schools.
4. None of the previous coaching staff was at any of these schools.
5. Nevertheless, the AD recommended that her application be denied, without having ever discussed it with her.
6. The anonymous "committee" followed their wishes and denied it.
7. She appealed the decision in good time.
8. After a little heat was generated, the AD (pro forma, at least) applied to the committee to reverse its decision.
9, The committee again refused.
10. The only excuse or reason given is a vague "feeling" that someone on the old coaching staff may have "tampered" with her.
11. Currie now expresses his satisfaction that this did not happen.
12. The University officials are saying that, because it is written in their rules, it cannot be corrected.

What more facts are necessary?

All I'm saying is that we should be open to the thought that there may be some facts that we are not being told.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well let's not be ridiculous here. She can leave anytime she wants and go to any school that will accept her. She's not a hostage. I know she would have to pay and can't play, but that's very different than being held hostage.

I agree, K-State is being about a stupid as it can possibly be (and digging itself in deeper and deeper), but it's not like she can't just say and leave.
She is a financial hostage.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She is a financial hostage.
No, not really. She isn't being forced to buy anything. She isn't being forced to pay to leave.

I just don't think "hostage" is the right word.

JS

Reaction Score
"Indentured servitude" isn't the right term either.

Nor, I suppose, is the captivity of the Israelites in Egypt an exact historical precedent.

There's a place, even when one isn't engaged in excoriation, for rhetorical metaphor.

And in that vein, I think the Red Sea will part to allow the exodus of Ms. Romero.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I hope you are right, JS. Any indications that this might be the case? Incidentally, don;t ever underestimate the thickheadednes of Kansans. Having grown up there and kept in touch, I know whereof I speak. I just hope and trust that they are being so peppered with emails and tweets and facebook messages that they think the dam has busted, and that those who are peppering them don't let up until they see the light.

And RAdyLady, what SORT of facts might be lurking behind the scenes? It looks very much as if everything is way out in the open. If there ARE any facts that have not come out, I am willing to bet that they are not likely to improve K-State's image.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, not really. She isn't being forced to buy anything. She isn't being forced to pay to leave.

It has been reported she says she cannot afford college without an athletic scholarship. KState understands this and is attempting to leverage her into staying. If she is not a student she may well, also, need to leave the US since a student visa could be revoked. Pretty much an economic hostage. Kind of a contemporary equivalent of being unable to leave while in debt to the company store.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I am just wondering, what could Ms Romero have done that was wrong, as in facts we don't know?
It has been reported she says she cannot afford college without an athletic scholarship. KState understands this and is attempting to leverage her into staying. If she is not a student she may well, also, need to leave the US since a student visa could be revoked. Pretty much an economic hostage. Kind of a contemporary equivalent of being unable to leave while in debt to the company store.

Can't a"Ford" to go.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I know I should not care one tiny iota what happens at Kansas State but this case just really (ticks) me off. It epitomizes everything that is screwed up about NCAA Div. 1 athletics. And yet people continue to argue that no, athletics don't 'run' the university. B.S. Do you really think Leti would have gone to Kan. St. if she knew this was what might happen if it didn't work out?

mel\'s picture of beach.jpg

As much as I hope things work out for Ms. Romero, at this point I'm more worried about pap49cba's blood pressure. We need our Supreme Linkster..!!

Pap, please sit in the most comfortable chair in the house, stare at the above picture and slowly say, "Kia Nurse, Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, Gabby Williams"..... then take a deep breath and say, "Natalie Butler, DeJanae Boykin, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson." And finally, close your eyes and whisper " Stewie, MoJeff, Kaleena" over and over until you're totally relaxed....:cool:

By the way, IMO several other BYers might want to try this, just to take it down a notch or two....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just a thought here. Is it possible for her to transfer to the school of her choice and receive a scholastic scholarship from that University and then walk on to the basketball team. Yes she will still have to sit out her required year but she would then have her education paid for and she would practice with the WBB team for the entire year. Then the following year she could be awarded an athletic scholarship and play WCBB for her chosen school. Is this kind of approach just beyond the pail?

Reaction Score
This poor kid. Going to college so far from home, attending classes and playing D1 basketball is stressfull enough. To have all this additional drama and having her feel like she is trapped cannot be easy. KState has her boxed into a corner ad I can only imagine what this is doing to her metally and emotionally. Enough is enough.

Maybe her solution should be to become one of those players that KState "overlooks" the policy for and quit being the star, go-to player. Failing to perform at the accustomed level leading KState lose some games to start the season in November - my guess is tht by the end of the first semester KState would probably be opening th door wide for her exit.

Of course, few if any self-respecting top performing athletes would do that. I know no matter how unhappy I may be at work and want to underperform to get fired, I have too much pride in my work ethic to resort to that kind of thing so continue to strive to perform my job duties to th best of my abilities.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And in that vein, I think the Red Sea will part to allow the exodus of Ms. Romero.
I hope so.....and without the locusts or frogs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ummmm no. Again, she doesn't owe anybody anything and doesn't have to pay anybody to leave. She can leave and go home anytime she wants. No hostage.

A contemporary equivalent would be working at a job you hate and saying you can't quit. You can quit, anytime. You may not be able to live the way you want (<$$$), but they are not making you stay.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pap, please sit in the most comfortable chair in the house, stare at the above picture and slowly say, "Kia Nurse, Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, Gabby Williams"..... then take a deep breath and say, "Natalie Butler, DeJanae Boykin, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson." And finally, close your eyes and whisper " Stewie, MoJeff, Kaleena" over and over until you're totally relaxed....:cool:

By the way, IMO several other BYers might want to try this, just to take it down a notch or two....:rolleyes:
Actually that gets me all excited for next year. And the year after, and......... :D

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I know I am probably going to gwt hammered by saying this but say I must:

Are we sure we know all the facts on this one? For the life of me I cannot understand why any university would make such a huge negative public spectacle of themselves for something so seemingly obvious unless there was something going on that has yet to be made public.

Anyone who has ALL the facts, please let us know because I have never heard of the media getting something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom