KState Will Not Release Leticia Romero | The Boneyard

KState Will Not Release Leticia Romero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope every student athlete, male or female, who has KState on their list of schools is aware of this. Too bad a big billboard can't be placed across the street from the athletic department warning all potential athletes. I find myself enraged for this young women.

Reaction Score
I think there are enough social media sources that Mr. Magoo would be aware of the problem.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I just don't get this! At all!

I hope any scholarship kid from any sport marks a line thru KState and moves on to another school!

Who wants to be an athlete in an administration like that!

Let the poor girl go! What's the big deal??

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What's sad is Leticia has no other place to make an appeal unless its in the Courts. The NCAA has stated they don't get involved with transfer decisions. Transfer Decisions are strictly up to the school.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I really don't get what point they are trying to make here. It's especially sad because she is from another country and doesn't have a support system here.

JS

Reaction Score
To the (paltry) extent that they offered any reason, it's been knocked down. There's nothing left but "We can't do justice because we adopted rules forbidding us to do justice."

Virtually any corporate enterprise finds a way to do justice, even if just for self-preservation, when it starts taking public heat for wronging someone.

But instead they stonewall and even imply that the disgraceful position they're now in is somehow her fault -- including the innuendo of quoting certain rules about non-straightforward transfer applications and polling the remaining troops on whether they want to play with her in the future (an irrelevancy and much like the vote in Crimea).

They deserve every bit of the disgrace they've fallen into, and I join others in hoping they suffer real consequences for it.

Reaction Score
This ticks me off so much I can hardly stand it...Kansas State is hurting this kid just because they can, and purely out of spite. College athletics have long been immune to some of the same strictures that business are and this case clearly demonstrates that it's time to take a look at college sports as what it is...big business. I hope this kid has a good lawyer. Just as an aside I can't help but wonder where her teammates are on this. I think if I were a Kansas State athlete, in any of their sports, but particularly if I were on the women's basketball team, I'd be organizing a mass transfer scheme right now. It would be interesting to see how the AD, and let's not kid ourselves about this committee crap, this is the athletic departments bailiwick and they could authorize a release if they wanted to, would respond if the entire men's and women's teams announced their intention to transfer as well.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Even legal convictions can be over-turned if new evidence is presented.

In this case, the "new evidence" would seem to be Currie's statement that when he (finally) met with the girl she convinced him she had not been contacted by the former coaching staff and had no intention of following them. But notwithstanding this, so says the honorable Mr. Currie, the committee's decision was final with no right of appeal. Oh, and the NCAA can't get involved because.... well they just can't.

Simply appalling behavior on the part of a public university.

Reaction Score
The powers that be at K State are making my skin crawl.

Leticia, on the other hand, has handled herself admirably. I wish her much success.

Reaction Score
I agree that the situation is appalling. However, it is possible that the reason for making the committee's decision final and unappealable is precisely to insulate the decision from all the pressure that an AD or college president could bring if it went against their wishes. The committee's make-up certainly sounds like it is geared at keeping "civilians" in charge.

It would be good to know the exact language of the regulations that established and govern the committee, though. A lot of committees follow Robert's Rules of Order or some other parliamentary proceedure which typically allows someone who voted with the prevailing side to make a motion to reconsider.

If the committee goes by that kind of protocol, it might have a way to re-open the matter on its own, while protecting the precedent that its decision-making remains free from the pressures that an AD or college president might be under.

Reaction Score
What gets me the maddest is thinking of the poor girl having to play for those SOBs next year. If she is as good as it sounds like she is, the school will turn a profit out of this. I just hope it hurt recruiting for years to come.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What gets me the maddest is thinking of the poor girl having to play for those SOBs next year. If she is as good as it sounds like she is, the school will turn a profit out of this. I just hope it hurt recruiting for years to come.
She's already said she will not play for KState and she is not on the roster.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Suspect if Leticia does not get a release, she'll either go the JUCO route for a year, or Xfr to one of the Schools that KState will Allow her to transfer to. From what's been said these are all lower level schools and not one of them are on her list of 94 schools that she provided KState.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Anyone want to start a GoFundMe campaign to help the kid hire a lawyer?

Reaction Score
The administration will give her a release. Public relations rules in these situations. Leticia played her cards right.

Reaction Score
The administration will give her a release. Public relations rules in these situations. Leticia played her cards right.
If she doesn't get a release, you can bet all the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac 10, and other conference schools, will recruit against Kansas St in all sports using this. Negative recruiting on this, could ruin Kansas St's Athletic Department for many years.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
KState is going off the deep end. Now their attorney is demanding that newspaper removes from its website and destroys the photo of Currie's letter to the committee. The paper has refused to comply.

LINK

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Joshua Kinder ‏@Joshua_Kinder 3h
@cterrier100 K-State won't release the names of the individuals on the committee, other than Pat Bosco. I've asked.

So let me get this straight: A PUBLIC university won't release the names of the persons on a "committee" that enjoys absolute power with no accountability? What am I missing?

I challenge anyone to name another public university that has a super-secret-we-have-the-final-say committee even the university president can't overrule. WTF????

I now HATE Kansas-freakin' State and sincerely hope they never sign another recruit in any sport.

Late update after original post:

Joshua Kinder @Joshua_Kinder · 41m
Just learned Middle Tennessee State has was granted permission today to contact Romero — one of 94 schools on her list. #KState

To me, this is a tacit admission that they were wrong and would have hell to pay.....

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I emailed this guy.... and it wasn't pretty.

Kirk H. Schulz
kirks@k-state.edu
President, Kansas State University

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads