Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
I've posted on here about Dayton quite a bit. My daughter went there so I am a fan and I watched just about every game this year. I have no idea why Brea came off the bench most of the year. Next to Holmes, he was their best player and one of the best shooters I have ever seen in college basketball. I am not exaggerating. He is that good. I wouldn't compare him to Spencer because Cam did so much more than just shoot. But Brea is one of those guys that when he takes a three, you are shocked when it doesn't go in - even if he is highly contested.
So many dudes going into portal with no regard for fit/winning/culture. Do you follow enough to get a good read on if winning/fit important or would taking Kansas‘ bag and playing behind all the wings they just got not matter?

Reaction Score
So many dudes going into portal with no regard for fit/winning/culture. Do you follow enough to get a good read on if winning/fit important or would taking Kansas‘ bag and playing behind all the wings they just got not matter?
Brea is a hard guy to read. He is not an emotional guy like Spencer. He is like a silent assassin. But he is a competitor. Not afraid to get a tough rebound or take the ball to the hoop when they try running him off the 3pt line (which just about every team tried to do). From what I have seen, he would fit perfectly in Hurley's offensive system but I am no way near qualified to make that call. I 100% trust Mr. Hurley and his staff.

ETA: Another issue with him - and this was true watching pretty much everyone in a Dayton uniform that did not have Holmes on the back of their jersey, defense might be an issue.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the clips?!? He didn't go to the rim very often, but when he did, he threw one down with authority. I don't think Cam dunked the ball even once this year. Cam has a solid build that handled a lot of contact. Koby has a slighter build which is probably why he doesn't go into the paint much. Might do him some good to hit the weight room during the off season so that he can broaden his game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cam's game. He was very crafty and good scorer from anywhere on the floor, but scoring over a defender was definitely not his game. Brea seems to spend most of the time beyond the arc, but did show some mid range game and a couple of athletic plays at the rim, including a couple of nice weakside blocks.

I thought he looked more athletic than Cam. Not saying he'll be a better player. Spencer was special. His intensity is unmatched. He made up for his lack of athleticism by being so crafty on both ends of the floor. He'd jump into passing lanes, similar to Nadav back in the day. He used misdirection to shake his defender and make just enough space to kiss it off the glass.

The fact is Cam used up his eligibility, and Brea looks like a nice fit. He's probably more of a Jordan Hawkins "type" player than Cam Spencer, and Hurley found a way to win the NC with both.
Cam had many games late in year getting 8 rebounds. More important than even his scoring.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Based on my vast experience of watching 5 minute highlight videos of both, Brea seems much more like Jordan whereas Hausen is more like Joey C. Brea lives at the 3pt line, then attacks the rim on overplays with a clear driving lane and has some athleticism to finish.

Can be sold on either Brea or Hausen, but I wonder if the staff prefers guys with multiple years of eligibility to come into our system - seems like they are going that route at Center with Reed over other 1-year options. It's also been super quiet on the Hausen front after he entered the portal, which is somewhat typical for guys our staff targets but on the other hand maybe initial reports weren't accurate on Hausen or we're waiting on McNeely's decision first.

Reaction Score
Trilly says the teams to watch for him are us and Kansas
How many guard spots does Kansas have left in? Harris is back, they got Kugel and the kid from NDSU and there the front runner for the Bama kid? Have to think we got a great shot here

Reaction Score
I do want the kid but if he chooses KU and McNeely falls into our lap, oh boy, Cam redux.

Reaction Score
Any low usage 3pt shooting transfer target will be referred to as a "Joey California replacement" on the BY until the end of time
my rebuttal to your statement is..........

..... nevermind. Yup that's sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Not scared to compete with Kansas. Basically it comes down to - if a player wants NIL $$ they go there, and if they want to win they come to UConn. So it's a win-win - you either get a great player who wants to buy-in and win (Spencer) or lose a player that is really just bag chasing

Reaction Score
McNeely would be a much better get- just fyi- either one would be nice- McNeely is the real deal & by far the better player.

McNeely is 5 years younger than him. He isn't the better player, even if his potential is higher. C'mon dude. He shot 50% from 3 for .

BCF

Reaction Score
Not scared to compete with Kansas. Basically it comes down to - if a player wants NIL $$ they go there, and if they want to win they come to UConn. So it's a win-win - you either get a great player who wants to buy-in and win (Spencer) or lose a player that is really just bag chasing
I don't see Kansas or Kentucky as a threat this time. As someone who is married to a Dominican from the Bronx. She can't go 3 days without Dominican food. CT has around 60k Dominicans living here. After 4 years in Ohio. I know he wants to be closer to the Bronx. Add in the basketball side and what uconn has done with transfers I think we are in a good position. SJU worries me more than Kansas.
1000015353.jpg

BCF

Reaction Score
I've posted on here about Dayton quite a bit. My daughter went there so I am a fan and I watched just about every game this year. I have no idea why Brea came off the bench most of the year. Next to Holmes, he was their best player and one of the best shooters I have ever seen in college basketball. I am not exaggerating. He is that good. I wouldn't compare him to Spencer because Cam did so much more than just shoot. But Brea is one of those guys that when he takes a three, you are shocked when it doesn't go in - even if he is highly contested.
Some players are just more comfortable off the bench. I watched their games as well and it was obvious he was one of their top 3 players. He was 6th man oh the year twice so it just may be a comfort thing. Nate Santos was also a uconn recruit at Dayton. Watched him a lot at Loomis. They had some dudes in that team

Reaction Score
I don't see Kansas or Kentucky as a threat this time. As someone who is married to a Dominican from the Bronx. She can't go 3 days without Dominican food. CT has around 60k Dominicans living here. After 4 years in Ohio. I know he wants to be closer to the Bronx. Add in the basketball side and what uconn has done with transfers I think we are in a good position. SJU worries me more than Kansas. View attachment 99724

I'm gonna go ahead and say Storrs has just as much Dominican food as Dayton, Ohio. That is: none.

Reaction Score
Go watch the tape- he has been a negative in every other aspect besides his shooting- reason on a borderline NCAA Tournament team over the 4 years he rarely ever started- also in a non power conference that hasn’t been as good as it usually as of late. I’ve seen the kid play over thirty times over the years- he only shoots- nothing else well. McNeely is going to be a high level PRO- it’s not even comparable- I enjoy your point in the age difference & it obviously has strength- but even with that said the kid McNeely is way ahead of his time. People comparing Brea to Spencer on this board is also outlandish- Spencer coming to UConn was a very smart intelligent defender who averaged over 2 steals per game & was also a playmaker at times & could create his own shot.

With all that said, we agree to disagree- I respect your opinion.
McNeely is 5 years younger than him. He isn't the better player, even if his potential is higher. C'mon dude. He shot 50% from 3 for .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom