KML vs. KLS | The Boneyard

KML vs. KLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It may be a meaningless exercise, but I had nothing better to do. I decided to compare Lou's start to Kaleena's start. There was some speculation that Lou would challenge Kaleena's 3 point record at UConn. Time will tell.

So, Kaleena's first regular season game against Holy Cross, she went 0 for 7 from 3 pt. But, she went 3 for 5 inside the arc, finishing with 7 points. In her second game, Kaleena was 5 for 6 from 3 pt, 10 for 12 overall, finished with 25 points. In her third game, against #3 Stanford, Kaleena was 3 for 8 from 3pt., but also finished with 25 points.

Without listing Lou's record thus far, I would have to conclude that Kaleena got off to a faster start, adjusted to the college game faster. Additionally, Kaleena was not a one dimensional offensive threat, willing to go inside for points.

In fairness, Kaleena may not have had the same supporting cast that Lou has, and Lou may be deferring to her All-American teammates.

Up to this point, Kaleena was the more all around offensive threat. But, it's still early.

Reaction Score
I guess I miss the point of this altogether. We are just into the actual season. In the first half of the season four year ago there were a few posters suggesting that Breanna just wasn't meeting expectations. She was awkward, didn't seem to know where she was going half the time, and was no more than an average shooter. In the second half she got better and better until she was a multiple MVP winner. And look at here now. Kaleena was a six foot player, a bit overweight, and not much of a defender. Sure she found her shot early but had a lot to learn and did not develop the rest at all quickly. Four year later she was a premier record holder. Lou is a six foot three slender young lady with a ton of pressure on here to become the new "three point wizard". She shows signs of becoming an excellent defensive player among other useful skills. Can't we wait a little longer before we make these comparisons?

So many times I fervently hope that the players and their families do not read some of these BY posts. How about a few GO KATY LOU!

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I've been fairly impressed with Lou's "floor game" so far. No, she doesn't pass or defend with the polish of the juniors and seniors, and she hasn't done a lot of scoring from inside the arc, but her defensive positioning has usually been good (better than Napheesa's, to make one obvious comparison), and she has rebounded well even in traffic. I agree that it would be good if she more frequently handled the ball closer to the basket, if only to get some more action and reduce her level of nerves.

I definitely think she has a better understanding of where she is supposed to be and what she is supposed to do than KML did at any point in her freshman year. Remember when KML didn't understand the play being called at the end of overtime in a game against Notre Dame her freshman year, which caused UConn to lose the game? I don't think anything like that will happen to Lou this year.

At some point (December, January, March, next year??) her 3-point shot has to come around. You don't just completely lose that skill unless there is some physical injury that we haven't heard about.

Speaking of Napheesa, she is an excellent rebounder -- very strong and agile. But she seems to have real difficulty defending on the perimeter. It seems that the whole idea of keeping a quick player in front of her is a brand new challenge. I'm sure she will overcome it.

Huskyhoops, I agreed with your post and would have given it a Like except for the last paragraph. A fan board wouldn't be very interesting if fans were not allowed to express candid opinions about how the players play basketball. As long as personal attacks or insinuations are avoided, I don't think we should muzzle ourselves in our evaluation of the level of play that we observe.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Why do we have to compare K to Katie Lou?

Two entirely different players and people. The only thing every sees is they both came from Mater Dei and they both are 3 point shooters. And it ends there.

Katie Lou will be fine. Just let her develop.

Remember this - Each of us has our own internal clock that allows us to grow and develop. Nothing can change that clock. Katie Lou will develop on her clock.

Just sit back and enjoy all of this season.

Reaction Score
I just happened to read an article from the Courant after last year's South Carolina game. Gabby (who was playing outstanding for many games previously) did not get to play in the big game. The same with other big games at the end of the year. Gabby was disappointed of course. Geno said," we had such good flow and chemistry that I did not want to mess that up." The five-six players were in sync.
When Butler gets back, then Geno will have 7 experienced players ready to go. Butler will give rest to the bigs. (Butler played Big East for a year so she knows what college ball takes.) Also Chong will be the first guard in.
If Lou does not develop as fast as Geno expects then she will be sitting until she produces consistently. Geno also stated that he has to "trust" his subs when he puts them in key moments. Lou and Collier play decent team defense so they don't hurt the team. However, Geno does not trust them in big moments yet. Let's see how it all develops. UConn has won with 7 players before. If they have 8 or 9 it is even better. Everyone wants to see Lou drain those 3's. Until it happens, Lou will be waiting in the wings--at least in the big games.

Reaction Score
I've been fairly impressed with Lou's "floor game" so far. No, she doesn't pass or defend with the polish of the juniors and seniors, and she hasn't done a lot of scoring from inside the arc, but her defensive positioning has usually been good (better than Napheesa's, to make one obvious comparison), and she has rebounded well even in traffic. I agree that it would be good if she more frequently handled the ball closer to the basket, if only to get some more action and reduce her level of nerves.

I definitely think she has a better understanding of where she is supposed to be and what she is supposed to do than KML did at any point in her freshman year. Remember when KML didn't understand the play being called at the end of overtime in a game against Notre Dame her freshman year, which caused UConn to lose the game? I don't think anything like that will happen to Lou this year.

At some point (December, January, March, next year??) her 3-point shot has to come around. You don't just completely lose that skill unless there is some physical injury that we haven't heard about.

Speaking of Napheesa, she is an excellent rebounder -- very strong and agile. But she seems to have real difficulty defending on the perimeter. It seems that the whole idea of keeping a quick player in front of her is a brand new challenge. I'm sure she will overcome it.

Huskyhoops, I agreed with your post and would have given it a Like except for the last paragraph. A fan board wouldn't be very interesting if fans were not allowed to express candid opinions about how the players play basketball. As long as personal attacks or insinuations are avoided, I don't think we should muzzle ourselves in our evaluation of the level of play that we observe.
I am not privy to what happens at practice but I presume that she is "lighting it up" from beyond the arc. Why else would the coaches give her the green light at gametime. Just freshman adjustments - she'll be fine.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting ... it is also interesting to note the differences in the team and the minutes being played and the opponents:
KML -
Game 1 played 28 minutes against Holy Cross shooting 3-12 and 0-7
Game 2 played 25 minutes against Pacific shooting 10-12 and 5-6
Game 3 played 32 minutes against Stanford shooting 10-17 and 3-8

KML joined a team as a freshman that had just graduated the career scoring leader in Uconn history in Maya Moore and was starting two Sophomores in Bria and Stef a senior in Tiffany Hayes, a Junior in Kelly Faris and a red shirt junior in her first game action for over a year having sat out the previous year. The rest of the bench was Banks,Buck, Engleln, Johnson, and Stokes. The team needed an instant infusion of scoring since it's 5 returning starters had accounted for only 44 points per game the previous year. And none of the returning players were AAs at that stage of their careers. The team had a winning streak of zero to start the year.

KLS is joining a team with 4 returning starters - 2 seniors, a red shirt junior and a sophomore, and the fifth starter another sophomore accounted for 66 points per game the previous year. The two seniors are the NPOY and the Lieberman award winner from the previous year and the team is the NC with a 36 game winning streak. It started the year playing the #6 and using Sagarin the #72 team in the country. (No idea where Pacific and HC ranked in KML's freshman year but probably not far off their current rankings of 144 and 206.)

It is a very different team KLS is joining with a very different recent history. She is playing 10 minutes less per game at this stage and is competing for minutes with a very different bench. KML ended up leading her freshman team in scoring, if KLS ends up scoring more than the #4 starter on this years team we will likely be in trouble! And personally I am hoping KLS has a better final result to her freshman year (an NC) than KML had!:eek::cool:

Reaction Score
Kaleena was mostly a one-dimensional offensive threat early in her career. Hitting a few shots inside the arc proves nothing. She didn't really start posting up until her junior season and more regularly her senior season. Katie Lou will be fine. She does have to move more, take more twos, post up and drive to the basket. Getting to the line will help her to find her shooting rhythm.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The thing that's impressed me most about Lou so far is that she's big. Appears to be a legitimate 6'3". I look forward to her exploits over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Why do we have to compare K to Katie Lou?

Two entirely different players and people. The only thing every sees is they both came from Mater Dei and they both are 3 point shooters. And it ends there.

Katie Lou will be fine. Just let her develop.

Remember this - Each of us has our own internal clock that allows us to grow and develop. Nothing can change that clock. Katie Lou will develop on her clock.

Just sit back and enjoy all of this season.

It's pretty obvious that KML and KLS (and there's that Dutch airline) are different players. I've always looked at the two in terms of the points they did or need to contribute. Looking at the in-coming players, it seemed that only Lou could fill in for Kaleena in terms of scoring. What actually happened is that Lou has gotten off to a slow start and Gabby has taken off like a rocket. At the moment Williams is producing at both ends of the court, so she'll continue to start (and should). But considering next year, it's also important that Lou gets enough court time to evolve because she has pretty big shoes to step into when Bre and Mo leave. As I said last week, Lou might come in to play guard in order to get her minutes (she was first off the bench). She remains on the perimeter in any event. While this comparison is interesting, I wonder how some freshmen in other programs (Maryland's and Nebraska's to mention two) start so fast. Pretty early to draw conclusions.

Reaction Score
It may be a meaningless exercise, but I had nothing better to do. I decided to compare Lou's start to Kaleena's start. There was some speculation that Lou would challenge Kaleena's 3 point record at UConn. Time will tell.

So, Kaleena's first regular season game against Holy Cross, she went 0 for 7 from 3 pt. But, she went 3 for 5 inside the arc, finishing with 7 points. In her second game, Kaleena was 5 for 6 from 3 pt, 10 for 12 overall, finished with 25 points. In her third game, against #3 Stanford, Kaleena was 3 for 8 from 3pt., but also finished with 25 points.

Without listing Lou's record thus far, I would have to conclude that Kaleena got off to a faster start, adjusted to the college game faster. Additionally, Kaleena was not a one dimensional offensive threat, willing to go inside for points.

In fairness, Kaleena may not have had the same supporting cast that Lou has, and Lou may be deferring to her All-American teammates.

Up to this point, Kaleena was the more all around offensive threat. But, it's still early.

I'm very sorry that you had nothing better to do. Library card for Christmas maybe?

Reaction Score
KLS is NO KML!
KLS doesn't have that shooter technique, bring the ball up to the shoulder form before taking a shot is not natural for a sharp shooter. Sorry for the bad new.
Despite the shooting form her potential is great.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Remember that Kaleena was dubbed "Baby Jesus" by Geno. She had the impossible task of replacing the great Maya Moore. Yes, K made a name for herself against Stanford. I was at Eric's watching the game and high-fiving him. Lou will have a breakout game soon.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'm very sorry that you had nothing better to do. Library card for Christmas maybe?
I'm willing to bet it took you longer to read my post and write this response, than it took me to write it. I guess you had nothing better to do either.

Reaction Score
Players adapt differently to college. A lot of that is dependent on the teams specific needs they are ask to fill. I don't think with this limited amount of stats that it is really a fair assessment of which player is better. Who will have the better career still remains to be seen. However, I have seen both play in high school quite a bit and from the perspective of who was the better high school player there is no comparison. KLM was not even on the same level with KLS.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They physically are different players even if their background and skills set are similar. It might just take KLS a little longer to get adjusted to the college game than it took KML, similar to how it took Jefferson a full year before she was really comfortable in a collegiate setting. KLS isn't really in a position to be a standout player this year with such a loaded roster, nor does UCONN really need production from her this year to win it all. If she improves and becomes a standout this year, great for you guys, but even if she just focuses on adjusting to the collegiate pace and works on her game, I think she could launch from being a little used freshman to a top 5 wing in the nation next year considering her size and HS credentials.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I was discussing with Eric the other night, one of the reasons the frosh look a little shaky is what Miami mentions: the other players are soooooo good. Even though 2 of the key players are only sophs, they are largely on the same page are are near mid-season form. Understandably, the frosh are a little uncertain. I think Geno throws more at them than most coaches. They are still processing it. Things will become second nature eventually, but it takes time and many, many repetitions.

Reaction Score
I guess I miss the point of this altogether. We are just into the actual season. In the first half of the season four year ago there were a few posters suggesting that Breanna just wasn't meeting expectations. She was awkward, didn't seem to know where she was going half the time, and was no more than an average shooter. In the second half she got better and better until she was a multiple MVP winner. And look at here now. Kaleena was a six foot player, a bit overweight, and not much of a defender. Sure she found her shot early but had a lot to learn and did not develop the rest at all quickly. Four year later she was a premier record holder. Lou is a six foot three slender young lady with a ton of pressure on here to become the new "three point wizard". She shows signs of becoming an excellent defensive player among other useful skills. Can't we wait a little longer before we make these comparisons?

So many times I fervently hope that the players and their families do not read some of these BY posts. How about a few GO KATY LOU!

That is just not true. Stewart averaged 17pts and 8rebs a game through her first 10 games at UConn. Those games included games against the #9, #10, #12, and #13 teams in the country,

Reaction Score
That is just not true. Stewart averaged 17pts and 8rebs a game through her first 10 games at UConn. Those games included games against the #9, #10, #12, and #13 teams in the country,
Can't argue with your facts. But I clearly remember some early posts along the lines I indicated. Some people expect number one's to be the next incarnation of the last super star. If you are suggesting that my memory is bad my wife has told me the same thing, as nearly as I can remember.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is just fine. Leave her be, let her find her groove, and all will be well. Don't expect her to be the next Stewie, or Maya, or D, or any of the other greats we have had; let her be Herself, which right now is a teenager with a good portion of the population dissecting every move she makes.

See how well this strategy has worked out with Gabulous?

Reaction Score
I'm waiting for that break out game from LouConn and Napheesa because they will get their opportunities. They both seem a little lost at times. Didn't KLS brake KML record in High School? Can't see why she can't do it at college level but than again I can see why she wont. KML was a Special player for Uconn. She's a Bad Gal!!!! But she has 3 more years left with a ton of games left in her first let's see how she plays out

Reaction Score

\

I don't have KML's first game in front of me but memory says that Geno was after KML to develop a more rounded shooting game.
She will move at her own schedule. If Geno is happy with her, why shouldn't we be too? Katie Lou was home all summer with a sick mom and missed a lot of the PT Napheesa got. She's a bit rusty. But her shot is usually bouncing off the back of the rim. Which to me says she's trying too hard and pushing a bit more on the shot. When it goe in , it is among the sweetiest shots I have seen, pure poetry..
Come January if she isn't hitting 40 percent of her 3's or taking a few more pull up's shots--we can complain then. Remember this is a very big stage for an almost high school kid.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

I've also been in impressed with her defense. Quick feet for a 6'3" girl. Her perimeter defense looks great. She runs the floor well. Moves without the ball. She'll be a another great one, in a long line of great ones!

Reaction Score
The thing that's impressed me most about Lou so far is that she's big. Appears to be a legitimate 6'3". I look forward to her exploits over the next few years.
Katie Lou is big, has been a fair to midland rebounder, showed a nice 10 footer with ease, goes to the basket, plays defense enough for
geno right now, the 3's she has hit are pretty. I guess the right words are --I like this kid and her potential!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom