KML vs. KLS | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KML vs. KLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She was, but IMO she never became a "superstar" in college. After DT left Ann didn't lead the team to any more great accomplishments. I believe KLS will. We'll see I guess.
Ann Strothers was a big star in High School. As long as DT led the team Ann was good. Ann was NOT a college leader. If you watched her in big games at big moments --I really hate to say this--she wasn't up to them. I still love everything about Ann Strothers--a wonderfully nice kid, great person and pretty good China WBB player.
Katie Lou is everything Ann was and then some. As Kibitzer says---She's just not a B.A. yet--but she is getting there..

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There is this GUY at Uconn. He's been around just a bit. Some think he knows a tiny bit about WBB. He also has seen a few "shooters".
I don't know for sure, but my guess is---if this guy thought Katie Lou's form was bad or it should not be used, or she wasn't as advertised, as he had seen her for the last 4 years, --don't you think he'd fix it?? Oh yea, that guy is GENO>
Yet, this apparently stupid guy, if you believe the posters herein, is giving this terrible kid ---30 or so minutes in games. He'll never with 10 championships with that kind of thinking, will he?????

How did this Guy do with the California High School points record holder with 3,837 career points? (Hint: Charde Houston). Geno is a great coach, but he is not successful with everyone. One problem Charde had was her first step with the ball. Unfortunately, Geno was not able to correct it.

Reaction Score
How did this Guy do with the California High School points record holder with 3,837 career points? (Hint: Charde Houston). Geno is a great coach, but he is not successful with everyone. One problem Charde had was her first step with the ball. Unfortunately, Geno was not able to correct it.

He used Charde well. She walked nearly every time she made a move to the basket, true. BB Fundamentals were lacking in her HS years. She scored a lot of points. Her body moved before her brains--happens to a lot of us. Hard early life. Some things are hard to overcome. I doubt a coach could have done more with Charde in College than Geno did. The Pros are more lax than College in walking calls. She was frustrating for fans and for Geno. She was the epitome of : There was a girl who had a curl--etc.
Perfection in anything is not achievable, only something to strive for. Even Geno isn't perfect--please don't tell Uconn fans I said that!!!
Geno knows you don't change the shooting style of a top shooter--she may never score again if you attempt to change what is working.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That is just not true. Stewart averaged 17pts and 8rebs a game through her first 10 games at UConn. Those games included games against the #9, #10, #12, and #13 teams in the country,
But Stewie did not have Stewie and Morgan playing in front of her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KML is a UConn legend. She never stopped scoring. She was a scoring machine from day one. The greatest 3 point shooter in NCAA history. The funny thing is that I think, KML's scoring prowess was underrated. Whenever she was needed she could just take over. If KLS is better offensively than KML, OMG!
I get the feeling that Kaleena is even more appreciated now than when she was here. :) She was a solid rebounder and could really put the ball in the hoop. Her presence on the floor opened up the offense for people like Stefanie and Stewie. I think that Lou will be fine. It's just a question of when.

Reaction Score
:cool:
Why do we have to compare K to Katie Lou?

Two entirely different players and people. The only thing every sees is they both came from Mater Dei and they both are 3 point shooters. And it ends there.

Katie Lou will be fine. Just let her develop.

Remember this - Each of us has our own internal clock that allows us to grow and develop. Nothing can change that clock. Katie Lou will develop on her clock.

Just sit back and enjoy all of this season.
Thank you... Enough said!

Reaction Score
There is this GUY at Uconn. He's been around just a bit. Some think he knows a tiny bit about WBB. He also has seen a few "shooters".
I don't know for sure, but my guess is---if this guy thought Katie Lou's form was bad or it should not be used, or she wasn't as advertised, as he had seen her for the last 4 years, --don't you think he'd fix it?? Oh yea, that guy is GENO>
Yet, this apparently stupid guy, if you believe the posters herein, is giving this terrible kid ---30 or so minutes in games. He'll never with 10 championships with that kind of thinking, will he?????
Her treys will not be great percent and that is all I'm saying, but she'll be a very good forward not a KML type archer.

Reaction Score
Her treys will not be great percent and that is all I'm saying, but she'll be a very good forward not a KML type archer.
Today, with all we have seen so far--she plays pretty good BB. Will she shoot 55 percent for a career?? I have no crystal ball. So without any further evidence saying yea or ney neither you nor I can make a good or bad judgement today. Does it not make sense, because otherwise it makes no difference, to wait and see how the Basketball Gods do with her talents?? Give the kid the benefits of any doubts.
I have to agree she will never be Kaleena Mosqueta Lewis, no doubt. She's one heck of a Katie Lou Samuelson!!!!

Reaction Score
If you look at KLS's shooting technique it is identical to her sisters-Bonnie and Karlie. They all shoot 3 point shots the same way because they all learned from their father. If KLS has bad shooting form so do her sisters. So let's see how the sisters have done with "bad" shooting form. Bonnie, on 3 point attempts, shot just under 40%, Karlie about 37%. In the non-UConn world that's considered pretty good. There is no reason to think KLS will be worse than her sisters, especially since she was better than her sisters in high school. KML shot 44.7% for threes which is extraordinary. But if KLS is "only" as good as Bonnie and Karlie she will be very good indeed.

Reaction Score
On 11/13/11 , the first game of the 2011-12 season and KML's first at UConn, she was 3 of 12 from the field (o of 7 from 3 pt range) and scored 7 points in 28 minutes of play against Holy Cross. Two days later, KLM had a great game against Pacific. 25 points in 25 minutes (5 of 6 from 3 pt.range)
In the 4th and 5th games that year against those juggernauts FDU and Buffalo, KML scored a combined 13 points in 50 minutes of play.
She was 4 of 20 from the floor which included going 2 of 11 from 3. She was playing a consistent 25+ minutes a game but her performances varied widely, as you might expect from a freshman.
Just as KML's future career path shouldn't have been drawn after her first game, KLS shouldn't be after 2 games. I understand the need for some people to go on the record with their opinion's. What I don't understand is why they would want to do it with virtually no basis in fact.
To base KLS's performance over the next 4 years after 2 games is just as invalid as it would have been to base KML's career path at UConn after just one game or on her 4th and 5th games.

Reaction Score
Ann Strothers was a big star in High School. As long as DT led the team Ann was good. Ann was NOT a college leader. If you watched her in big games at big moments --I really hate to say this--she wasn't up to them. I still love everything about Ann Strothers--a wonderfully nice kid, great person and pretty good China WBB player.
Katie Lou is everything Ann was and then some. As Kibitzer says---She's just not a B.A. yet--but she is getting there..
I agree with you about Strother and unfortunately I am being unfair in saying this so early, but I see Lou the same way. I can just look in her eyes and tell. She will have her moments, but I just don't see her being a uconn type alpha dog. And I agree also with the poster about the way her and her sisters shoot. I see players on other teams shooting that way, but I don't remember having one at uconn. Like I said before......I hope to god I'm wrong, and I know Geno is the best coach so we will always be in the hunt, but I think if we don't recruit a top player over the next 2 years, then we will have post Stewie years that will be like the post DT years. Which for me in a way anyways will be more satisfying if we win.

Reaction Score
I agree with you about Strother and unfortunately I am being unfair in saying this so early, but I see Lou the same way. I can just look in her eyes and tell. She will have her moments, but I just don't see her being a uconn type alpha dog. And I agree also with the poster about the way her and her sisters shoot. I see players on other teams shooting that way, but I don't remember having one at uconn. Like I said before.I hope to god I'm wrong, and I know Geno is the best coach so we will always be in the hunt, but I think if we don't recruit a top player over the next 2 years, then we will have post Stewie years that will be like the post DT years. Which for me in a way anyways will be more satisfying if we win.

If you know it's unfair, why say it ? I'm curious, have you met her in person ?

Reaction Score
I agree with you about Strother and unfortunately I am being unfair in saying this so early, but I see Lou the same way. I can just look in her eyes and tell. She will have her moments, but I just don't see her being a uconn type alpha dog. And I agree also with the poster about the way her and her sisters shoot. I see players on other teams shooting that way, but I don't remember having one at uconn. Like I said before.I hope to god I'm wrong, and I know Geno is the best coach so we will always be in the hunt, but I think if we don't recruit a top player over the next 2 years, then we will have post Stewie years that will be like the post DT years. Which for me in a way anyways will be more satisfying if we win.
I have not analyzed how SHE and her sisters shoot. I just enjoy them.
Have a very happy and filling holiday.

Reaction Score
If you look at KLS's shooting technique it is identical to her sisters-Bonnie and Karlie. They all shoot 3 point shots the same way because they all learned from their father. If KLS has bad shooting form so do her sisters. So let's see how the sisters have done with "bad" shooting form. Bonnie, on 3 point attempts, shot just under 40%, Karlie about 37%. In the non-UConn world that's considered pretty good. There is no reason to think KLS will be worse than her sisters, especially since she was better than her sisters in high school. KML shot 44.7% for threes which is extraordinary. But if KLS is "only" as good as Bonnie and Karlie she will be very good indeed.
With Geno, Christine, Shea and Marissia helping Katie Lou to improve--the prospect is she will not "only" be as good as her sisters--
I like what you say. Thanks for the numbers. Facts are so much better than guesses.

Reaction Score

There is nothing wrong with having "post Stewie" years as in the DT post era. The only down of that is that Geno gets a bit depresses when his team isn't clicking on 24 cylinders. Even great teams have "off years". They are needed so that fans like you and me once again appreciate the superb years--and don't get to thinking they are NORMAL. They aren't!!

Reaction Score
I'm really baffled. We have won 4 blowouts in 3 different arenas with 2 different sized basketballs and KLS has struggled with her shot. Anyone who has ever played this game has had this happen to them. This will end when Katie hits her first 2 or 3 3's in a row starting a game. Right now she's in the "oh no, not again!" mind set when she misses her first shot. I think Geno is right on here. If she wasn't getting open looks I'd be concerned. Let's show her some support instead of putting so much pressure on her the shooting slump lingers. It would be nice to have her swishing for ND. Why is KLS the ONLY player being compared to KML right now? No one seems to care that no one in UConn history compares to KML on a regular basis. Talk about unfair!

Last edited:

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Nothing,but a gut feeling, but Lou will not be as accomplished as KML. Her shot is a little different than KML and I don't think she gets it off as fast as KML. I have a feeling she will have a career similar to Ann Strother 's career. Good but not great.

I kinda, sorta get the same impression based on just the two games I've seen. KLS is more of a 3-point "set shooter" than occasionally driving for the true jump shot as well. If I'm correct, this will limit her scoring because she'll be easier to defend then KML. I truly hope she progresses during this year because it appears that she'll be a starter next season.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
You are not going to compare Charde and the background she came from and KLS and her background. Geno always says they have made mistakes in recruiting, trying to fit extremely talented round pegs in square holes. The only mistake he made there was agreeing to take her at act. She just didn't fit- end of story. And that doesn't mean she wasn't a great person. I was there her Sr. Yr I think , in Htfd when she won MVP of the Big East Tmt. After a rough four years that was great for her.

Reaction Score
I kinda, sorta get the same impression based on just the two games I've seen. KLS is more of a 3-point "set shooter" than occasionally driving for the true jump shot as well. If I'm correct, this will limit her scoring because she'll be easier to defend then KML. I truly hope she progresses during this year because it appears that she'll be a starter next season.
I think KLS is much more than a 3-point "set shooter". She has a killer instinct -even a nasty streak - to go with all kinds of basketball capabilities KML never had. I doubt being compared to KML bothers her or intimidates her at all. My guess is right now she is in a rapid learning mode, changing old habits and trying to absorb it all, plus in the (multi-year) process of getting physically stronger and better conditioned beyond what she ever imagined. When the light bulbs start going on, look out.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
KLS was part of the international 3 vs 3 Championship team. She has foot speed- watching her defensive footwork is impressive. She is 6' 3" and athletic. She'll be going to the rim like Tiffany Hayes and ball faking and hitting mid range jump shots like Renee Montgomery in no time. Anyone who is concerned about her right now is way off the mark, to say the least. I'm trying to be polite because it's Thanksgiving. Very few if any walk in freshman year with a complete game.

Reaction Score
Can't argue with your facts. But I clearly remember some early posts along the lines I indicated. Some people expect number one's to be the next incarnation of the last super star. If you are suggesting that my memory is bad my wife has told me the same thing, as nearly as I can remember.
If you think you forgot something just ask your wife. Not only can she tell you what you forgot but you need to remember that they remember everything and are never shyabout reminding us about that..

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If you think you forgot something just ask your wife. Not only can she tell you what you forgot but you need to remember that they remember everything and are never shyabout reminding us about that..
Yup. As Kipling reminded us, "...women and elephants never forget."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm really baffled. Why is KLS the ONLY player being compared to KML right now? No one seems to care that no one in UConn history compares to KML on a regular basis. Talk about unfair!
same High School... same rep as a 3pt threat and I think KLS broke KML's HS 3pt record, KML graduates and KLS comes in as the most likely to replace the deadly outside threat.

Butler is expected to replace Dolson and Stokes... this is coming of her freshmen campaign at GTown

comparisons are cool in my opinion except when you compare women to men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro