KML out indefinitely, Tuck out 4-6 weeks | Page 4 | The Boneyard

KML out indefinitely, Tuck out 4-6 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand and I'm sorry if I snapped a bit. It is tense times. We don't have much experience with these injuries in the past to really get a good feel about what may truly come as a result of it all but I am encouraged by KML's quotes on twitter.

1. [ ]

7:09 PM - 13 Nov 13
    Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 2h
    More from #UConn's Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis "It is just a contusion, it will heal with a little bit of rehab."

[ ]

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 2h
    #UConn's Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis after suffering elbow injury "I am really happy that nothing too major happened."
Let's just continue keeping our fingers crossed that all things turn out well in a few weeks!
Of course, she is trying to keep a stiff upper lip. Can you imagine how crushed and frightened she must have been! Just a contusion it will heal with a little rehab? The bone bruise might, but the Ulna nerve is the crucial matter here. Hey, she'll probably be raining threes on Ohio State Dec.1st and you can post "See HTHUSKY74, I told you, no big deal" I'll be looking for that post from you if it happens too!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds like Dr Trojian and Rosemary are managing Geno's expectations: It’s unfortunate, but it’s something we are obviously going to have to monitor and hopefully it won’t be as long as what Doc (Tom Trojian) or Rosemary think. It’s just a guess a lot of times so who knows how long it is going to be. But hopefully she’ll be back sooner rather than later.”

He's right that it is a guess. He's choosing to be optimistic and hopeful that she'll heal quickly so I'll do the same.

Reaction Score
Mosqueda-Lewis Relieved Elbow Injury Is Not Season-Ending
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 by:Rich Elliott
Junior All-American Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was upbeat as she sat in the seats with her right arm in a sling tonight at Gampel Pavilion. Less than 48 hours after her terrifying fall with 18:08 left in the second half of UConn’s win over No. 3 Stanford, there was a sense of relief.

A nerve contusion of the elbow will sideline her indefinitely, but Mosqueda-Lewis did not break anything. Her injuries are not season-ending.

Ragle also eased Mosqueda-Lewis’ anxiety by informing her of the extent of her injury,

“Rosie was like `Oh, it’ll be fine. We’ll just do rehab for a little bit. You’ll be back by the end of the season,’’’ Mosqueda-Lewis said. “And that’s when I started to calm down. I was like, `Alright, everything’s fine. It’s going to be alright.’

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2013/11/13/mosqueda-lewis-relieved-elbow-injury-is-not-season-ending/

How can she both be out indefinitely and know for sure that it's not a season-ending injury?

Either way, it's fortunate that we don't have to decide until much later whether to appeal for KML to have a possible redshirt.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I whish both players a speedy recovery.

wyo angel

spicy. spunky. sassy. an angel in disguise.
Reaction Score
every person is different when it comes to injuries and healing time; what may be years for one could equate to weeks for another. speculation is a bit like curiosity; let's not kill the cat (ahem, or dog/ husky) . . . i'm just sayin' :rolleyes:

:oops:angel:oops:

Reaction Score
How can she both be out indefinitely and know for sure that it's not a season-ending injury?

Either way, it's fortunate that we don't have to decide until much later whether to appeal for KML to have a possible redshirt.

Because depending on how it heals and how it responds to treatment you could be looking at a week, a couple of weeks, 4-6 weeks, a month, none which would be season ending.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Rich Elliott @elliottctpost
#UConn All-American @kaleena_23 out indefinitely with nerve contusion in right elbow. @M_Tuck3 out 4-6 weeks after knee surgery. #bleedblue

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller
#UConn's Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis avoided major injury but out indefintely with nerve contusion in her elbow.

So, KML pretty much slammed her funny bone? :confused:

Now watch the team chuck up 30 treys in hopes of hitting 18. Many points to make up.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Be glad we have the old Bria back. She can generate a lot of offense.

Reaction Score
If Kaleena had to miss more time than expected would she be able to redshirt this season since the injury was in the beginning of the season?

Reaction Score
Because depending on how it heals and how it responds to treatment you could be looking at a week, a couple of weeks, 4-6 weeks, a month, none which would be season ending.
There really is no treatment for nerve damage. Initially, the first 48 hours, they will ice it and administer anti-inflammatories to keep the swelling and inflammation down and relieve the pressure on the nerve. They will indefinitely do therapy to loosen the joint and to try to keep further degeneration and atrophy from occurring. Bottom line is, unless the nerve is being "pinched" and can be moved to a better position surgically, there really isn't any direct treatment. The nerve simply must heal by itself. It is a crap shoot (as I think you are learning) and it could be a couple of weeks, couple of months, years, never... Remember, the nerve may "heal" to a reasonable level, but it is possible, if not likely, that it will never heal 100%. If she was Hasheem Thabeet slamming down dunk shots, that probably wouldn't matter. However, being a three point shooter she may have a very long period of adjustment to develop her shot again. If you talk to other people like me who have suffered nerve damage you will see that it is a very unpredictable scenario. She's a young otherwise healthy kid who appears to have the drive and desire to do what needs to be done. I think she will maximize her abilities and make the necessary adjustments to her shot (if any), but we won't know if they will be equal to before the injury until we get to that point. She may come back in X weeks and not be effective. Not because of pain, but because her circuitry has been damaged. (That's what is weird about this, typically there is no pain). However, she might return next season and be almost as good as new. Most of it is out of her control.

Reaction Score
As much as I want to see the 9th championship come this season, KML's full recovery is much more important to me. In a couple of years she should be making quite decent money playing in the WNBA and overseas. It would be devastating to see such a talented young lady have an injury that affects her shooting performance permanently. My prayers are with her and of course with Morgan Tuck for a full recovery.

Reaction Score
The nerve contusion news is a pretty good result - it can heal very, very quickly. It's a problem for a period of time....and then one day you wake up and it's not. (I 'contused' a nerve mountain "climbing" a few years ago....there was more falling than climbing, hence the contusing.)

My guess is that she'll be back much sooner than later.
From your mouth to God's ears!

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but this is about as positive an update as you can expect from KML. She avoided any bone issues and didn't suffer from any torn ligaments from a dislocation.

She should be able to avoid surgery and recover through rest and rehab. Timetable for this injury is usually 4-6 weeks. Being conservative, she should be back on the court by early to mid-January. For a small % of patients with this injury, if the above doesn't work, surgery is required. Not likely though.
I assume the rehab the rehab available to KML and Tuck will be superior to that available to normal mortals, so hoping the bounce back will be quicker than usual.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is what I posted last Sunday in the Tuck thread:

Only 12 minutes still seems strange to me. Also the new brace. Wasn't she playing without one for a while? Is there pain or something going on? Maybe I'm a worry-wart because like many of you I am very fond of her.

Sometimes it's not fun to be right, but I just had the intuition.
Good call. Unfortunately. Strange though, she was playing really well, so it didn't seem to bother her....at least while she was playing.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I could use a laugh. Kelly must have read Nietzsche in her spare time.

She should've read Emerson instead. He didn't kill himself. ;)

Reaction Score
If Kaleena had to miss more time than expected would she be able to redshirt this season since the injury was in the beginning of the season?

She could get a "redshirt" year IF the injury is season-ending.

Reaction Score
If Geno and the staff are looking for new challenges they've got them now. I have every confidence they will find a way... and if Maryland, PSU and Duke are licking their chops they may be in for a rude awakening.
Geno stated that he wanted to see how team would react to some adversity. Well, I guess he got his wish.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Really glad KML's mother was here at the time to support her thru the initial scare and testing. Nothing like having your mom around when you need TLC. And Rosemary will keep KML working and on an even keel thru the rehab. Am I glad we have Rosemary and Dr. Tom?...you betcha!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is the one drawback
Clearly there is no eta for KML. It could be a week, a month, after New Year's, next season, or never again. They have said nothing other than seeing how it goes for the next week. Nerve damage is tricky stuff. Unless it is a pinched nerve that they are able to relocate successfully via surgery, there isn't a real lot they can do except hope and pray. Hopefully, the nerve isn't permanently damaged and when the swelling goes down she is okay. It is way too early to be optimistic or pessimistic. The silence tells it all.
So now we know science can't help. I'm just going to pray for a speedy recovery.

Reaction Score
Geno stated that he wanted to see how team would react to some adversity. Well, I guess he got his wish.
Be careful what you wish for...
Prayers for successful outcomes for both kids. And rapid recoveries.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good call. Unfortunately. Strange though, she was playing really well, so it didn't seem to bother her....at least while she was playing.
She actually said in an interview she didn't feel any pain when playing it was just after and sometimes before that she would be aware of it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some info on the injury:

http://www.wosm.com/index.php/component/content/article/123-ulnar-nerve-contusion

When can I return to my sport or activity?

This condition is usually curable with appropriate treatment and often heals spontaneously. Complete healing may take up to six weeks, depending on the extent of injury. Rarely, symptoms may be permanent.
Thanks - and while there is that slim possibility for less than 100% recovery I suspect it is similar to other nerve impingement injuries where the 'less than 100%' is usually something like occasional numbness in fingers/toes, or phantom tingling. And those types of things shouldn't affect her ability to shoot efficiently. We talk about a shooter having a 'feel' but much of that deals with the whole body alignment and not with specific nerve endings.
I think it would be a very rare medical occurrence for KML to not recover in fairly short order to a degree that would be unnoticeable in terms of basketball skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom