Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread] | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clearly Kim has built a perennial national powerhouse at Baylor over her 21 years in Waco. But I don’t think she will necessarily be able to replicate that success in Baton Rouge. If it happens, It’s not going to happen overnight. Time will tell.
I believe it will happen faster than at Baylor where she started essentially from ground zero.....in a program without a success profile in Div I. And Fargas left a few good players.....she will scour the transfer portal and see what happens: Kamilla Cardoso anyone? (Probably called her already!!) If I were Cardoso, it would be a no brainer.....and she plays long minutes. How lucky is that for Kim Mulkey to have Cardoso to go after in the transfer portal! (Unless Shea gets to Cardoso first.....high in academics, had excellent post players at UConn during her stay there......Kim, of course, can say: B. Griner, etc......and remember, Kim was very successful getting transfers she wanted to Baylor) The heat trail of coaches going after Cardoso has gone up a notch!

If she gets Cardoso, LSU will probably make the NCAA tournament next year and set up a good recruiting effort for Kim's first year at LSU.

Transfer portal is fun this year, no small thanks to Syracuse

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After a week of speculation about whether coach Kim Mulkey would stay at the Baylor Lady Bears program she built into a powerhouse or go to one that needs its luster restored, the women's basketball world got the answer Sunday: Mulkey is headed to her home state of Louisiana. Here's Rebecca Lobo's take on what Mulkey's move to LSU means to WCBB, the SEC and Tiger Nation. A quick look at her retuning players next year reveals she has no height. Her two tallest players are 6'2" unless she inherits some committed recruits not mentioned, or the 6'5" Sr Faustine Aifuwa returns for another year.

2020-2021 LSU roster

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought with that salary that maybe GA could have figured out how to beat Arizona this year and ND and Miss state in previous years when he was the heavy favorite and loaded with AAs.

He has 11. No one living has more than 3.

Reaction Score
I can't see how Mulkey leaving the state is bad for UT-Austin.
If I were Baylor’s AD I’d be on a plane to New Jersey with a big fat check in my hand made out to Carla Berube! I kind of doubt she would leave Princeton so soon but I’d give it my best shot anyway! I think she’s probably the best young coach in the country. Failing that, I’d make a run at Gonzaga, Missouri State, Georgia, or perhaps NC State, though he might be a bit old. Might just be the most important hire he’ll make for the foreseeable future! That is one of the prime jobs and he needs someone good enough to minimize the drop down and get them back to (hopefully close) to where they are now. Not easy, but a great opportunity for the right coach!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can‘t say that I am going to miss dealing with Mulkey business. The post game press conference this past March was one of the most ungracious displays ever.
Eclipsing D Staley's "it was the ball"?

Reaction Score
Making Kim feel at home. :oops:
I took this tack on the general board thread but don't think anyone read the article. She knew about since it's been in the news for a while now and I'm sure it doesn't bother her in the least. I suspect they did it on purpose just to seal the deal.

Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe he should send opposing coaches a copy of his paycheck right before each game! That’ll show em! I think it’s pretty clear based on the number of millionaires and billionaires that do and say monumentally stupid things, that money does not make you smart! Two of the games you refer to were won on buzzer beaters and they simply played bad in the other game. I don’t see those games as representing some sort of coaching failure by Geno and his staff. I doubt Geno’s percentage of bad games over the years would be much less impressive than his success rate! Sometimes (very rarely in Geno’s case) the other team just plays better, a player has a career game, they make a once in a lifetime shot, and yes, the coach can get outcoached.
no doubt Cuango.

But I still believe that if GA is truly so much better than any other coach out there, that he could at least win the games that he is a heavy favorite in and also games where he is the underdog simply because his great coaching would have made the difference. Instead he could not figure out a way to win when he was the heavy favorite with multi AAs, a week to prepare and the other teams were full of players GA didn't even bother to recruit. Also, the games shouldn't have come down to the last shot. We should have won all of them going away since we had better players and the coach is thought to be the best in the business.

If we are all going to credit the great GA with 11 championships, then he has to take the blame as well for these failures. To call his kids immature is just silly. The losses are more on him than anybody else. These kids are 18-19 years old, of course they are immature. GA makes big money to work with them everyday for 6 months so that they don't act as immature.

Does GA need an AA at every spot to go along with great defensive stoppers to go along with great leadership and maturity in his players to win? I think thousands of coaches could do that if they had all of that going for them. GA makes his money to win the games he is favored in with the multiple AAs and great players he has, pull out wins when he is not favored due to his great coaching (which he rarely does these days) and cover up any flaws his teams has with his great coaching (again he doesn't do this either).

He has not done that over the last 5 plus years.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Speculation is Kim will make $2.5 Million Dollars a year, same as the Men's BB Coach. Nikki Fargas made $700K last year.

“Yes, it did take some money to get me away from Baylor,” Mulkey said, “but that wasn’t the deciding factor.”

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO Adia Barnes might be the Best Coach for Baylor to attempt to get. While not as flamboyant as Kim, she's got a Feisty Personality that is similar to Kim Mulkey. Adia reputation is probably the highest it will be at Arizona after pulling off the upset win over UConn. Her team also gave a good showing in the National Championship game and had a good chance to win it. I don't know how high of a salary they would offer her, but she only makes approx $700K, so a Salary around $1 Million dollars would probably get her to take the Baylor job.

Reaction Score
Good article on the Fort Worth Telegram regarding Mulkey’s departure.
Basically reports that Kim’s status in Athletic dept. had eroded with the success of other Baylor sports, she didn’t like where new facility was being located, and when LSU made an offer- Baylor did not counter and decided her welcome was over stayed. (don’t let the door hit ya...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom