Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread] | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is she making more than $2.4M? That's seems to be Geno's salary and, it is also the salary of the men's coach at LSU, if the reports are right.
I believe that Geno's current contract averages $2.4M per year, but is currently at $2.7M this year.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
This was settled a week before the announcement.

This also makes that Hannah Guster's IG post even more confusing...

EznCk0mVcAA3geS

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that Kim to LSU is official, there are lots more questions. Among them:

Will any Baylor players follow her or leave Baylor for elsewhere?

How long will it take LSU to become a highly competitive (top-10) team?

Will LSU top SC as the leading team in the SEC?

Who will get the Baylor job?

Will Baylor get back to their prior level of success?

Is Vic Schaeffer the big winner here?

Reaction Score
I don't think LSU will top SC but it will be a battle between those two teams. I know you Huskies give the SEC hell about being overrated but it's a war every single week. Vanderbilt, Florida, and Auburn really were the only teams without a pulse this past year. Missouri and Ole Miss were figuring it out by the end of the year with young teams. Everybody else just beat up on everybody else. The winner is always the team that is the most consistent, but there's very rarely EVER a team that goes through the conference slate undefeated. MSU did it in 2018 and SC did it 2019. I'm sure Tennesee did it at some point but it's not easy. It will be a challenge for everybody - that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I don't think LSU will top SC but it will be a battle between those two teams. I know you Huskies give the SEC hell about being overrated but it's a war every single week. Vanderbilt, Florida, and Auburn really were the only teams without a pulse this past year. Missouri and Ole Miss were figuring it out by the end of the year with young teams. Everybody else just beat up on everybody else. The winner is always the team that is the most consistent, but there's very rarely EVER a team that goes through the conference slate undefeated. MSU did it in 2018 and SC did it 2019. I'm sure Tennesee did it at some point but it's not easy. It will be a challenge for everybody - that's for sure.
Maybe the SEC could look into stronger officiating crews? Describing basketball as a, "war" isn't progress. It's not even going in the right direction. "Everybody else just beat up on everybody else" is another phrase that better describes a hockey league or rugby - not good basketball.

Reaction Score
So why exactly did Mulkey leave for Louisiana? I know she says she loves her hometown. But come on! It's a little backwater! After coaching in Dallas (Baylor's in Dallas, right?), and seeing the country and the world, why exactly do you give up a huge job on a big state with great success, leaving your players behind, and go to a roughly comparable university? What gives?

I wonder whether Mulkey wasn't stung by the criticism leveled against her by Britney Griner for having forced Griner to keep her sexuality secret at Baylor, which officially considers homosexuality a sin. Did that make Mulkey think that it would be harder for her to recruit gay athletes for her team at Baylor?

Is she getting a little more money? If so, would Baylor really not have matched LSU's offer sheet? Can't believe they wouldn't have shelled out a few more bucks to retain her.

I don't get it. Doesn't add up.

Reaction Score
So why exactly did Mulkey leave for Louisiana? I know she says she loves her hometown. But come on! It's a little backwater! After coaching in Dallas (Baylor's in Dallas, right?), and seeing the country and the world, why exactly do you give up a huge job on a big state with great success, leaving your players behind, and go to a roughly comparable university? What gives?

I wonder whether Mulkey wasn't stung by the criticism leveled against her by Britney Griner for having forced Griner to keep her sexuality secret at Baylor, which officially considers homosexuality a sin. Did that make Mulkey think that it would be harder for her to recruit gay athletes for her team at Baylor?

Is she getting a little more money? If so, would Baylor really not have matched LSU's offer sheet? Can't believe they wouldn't have shelled out a few more bucks to retain her.

Well since I see no smiley face..I will be the first to tell you Baylor is in Waco not Dallas!

Reaction Score

Reading current and old posts on a baylor board one gets the impression that there's been a power struggle between Kimzilla and their AD and administration in general. When the men's team was splashing around in the shallow end of the pool and the women were winning and in the spotlight she usually got what she wanted. The thinking is now that the boys are on top they can afford to ignore her. That's just one of several theories but it comes up a lot.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

There are so many erroneous assumptions in your post that it will take a while to straighten things out.

1. Her hometown is a backwater, but Baton Rouge is not a backwater, and it is not her hometown.
2. Dallas has nothing to do with Baylor or Ms. Mulkey. Baylor is in Waco (or Hueco si prefieres).
3. Why do you say that Baylor, a school with a strong religious affiliation, and LSU, a land grant university, are roughly comparable?
4. Criticism by Griner? That was years ago. Ms. Mulkey has had no trouble recruiting since then.
5. Money does not appear to have been an issue for either school, which leads one to believe that it wasn't the reason for the move.
6. If you read the many threads on the Baylor WBB forum, it seems that there is ample bad blood between the coach and the AD at Baylor. The details are there for you to peruse.

In all probability, Kim was swayed by LSU's guarantee of an airborne haberdashery allowance.

Reaction Score
Underutilized? How many minutes do you feel Britney should’ve gotten?

View attachment 67079
She only had a real opportunity to win three because there was no way she was winning a championship in 2010. Tina Charles (senior) and Maya Moore (junior), Kalana Greene, Doty, and Faris, and Hayes. So she had three chances 2011(A&M), 2012 (won), 13(loss to Louisville).

Reaction Score

Waco is not in Dallas. And Baylor is not LSU as far as athletics is concerned.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She only had a real opportunity to win three because there was no way she was winning a championship in 2010. Tina Charles (senior) and Maya Moore (junior), Kalana Greene, Doty, and Faris, and Hayes. So she had three chances 2011(A&M), 2012 (won), 13(loss to Louisville).
Yep. For someone to say that Mulkey "underutilized" Griner based on years in school and number of natties is silly. Certainly, from a minutes perspective Griner wasn't "under utilized."

Reaction Score
Yep. For someone to say that Mulkey "underutilized" Griner based on years in school and number of natties is silly. Certainly, from a minutes perspective Griner wasn't "under utilized."
Kim just couldn’t get the shooters need to put around Griner.

Reaction Score
And to be honest, it was Griner and Odyssey Sims...the rest of them wasn’t much. She can’t do everything no matter how great she is.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, this is now a tale of 2 programs-LSU with sunshine and smiles and Baylor with clouds and consternation.

As one of our Baylor acolytes stated, anger, frustration and even outright hostility is occurring in the forum and with the athletic department over how did this happen.

I am less interested in the post-mortem than I am in “what’s next” for both?

While I light heartedly chided @SECbbfan24 for being greedy on wanting all 3 of his wishes to come true (1. Nikki gone 2. Experienced coached hired 3. To transfers and recruits arriving in BR immediately) when satiating the 1st should have sufficed; they are right that how soon will Kim revive this program and how soon will she be contending with Dawn for the title every year. Those that think Dawn will always remain supreme obviously did not pay attention after A’ja Wilson left and Vic led the SEC for the next 2 years and Kim is by far a better coach than Vic. Not to denigrate Vic, but to rightly elevate Kim as a top 3 coach (with Geno and Tara). While Dawn has top talent now, with transfers aplenty and her recruiting skill, Kim will immediately close that gap and within 3 years Kim will win a regular season SEC or a conference tournament title. Mark my words.

Now, on to Baylor. The AD, rightfully or not, created a sticky situation for himself. He now has a divided fan base, a team adrift and an athletic department of subordinates concerned. He needs to act quick and get a new coach to satiate his boosters and his women’s team before a mass exodus occurs. The exodus may still occur but the Sooners sooner he acts the sooner the new coach can at least have meaningful discussions. I wish so many people would stop denigrating Waco as frankly many, many college towns are isolated or less than ideal than what many call glamour locales. If that was the case, why aren’t UCLA, USC, San Diego or Miami elite programs? Don’t even try to sell me on Cori Close. She’s not elite. My gut is Baylor promotes Sytia Messer who they might feel brings continuity and recruit and transfer portal knowledge (and $1.7 million cheaper!)
The effects of this will be a slow attrition to the Baylor program as we saw at Tennessee and at LSU even. What level will this plateau at is the question..
Like I said, I am fascinated to see this play out...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And here I thought you were hiding a clue as to whom might be hired. LOL.
Pretty funny actually so I left it as a strikethru and edited. Good catch

Reaction Score

Yeah Waco is nothing like Dallas. I'll just leave it at that so as not to offend anyone.

I work in an organization where certain groups of employees do a lot of moving around for promotions during their tenure. It is really common for folks around Kim's age to start working their way back home or where they want to retire. I'm not surprised by Kim's choice at all, even if there is a pay cut. I've just seen it done before in the workforce.

Reaction Score
Waco is not in Dallas. And Baylor is not LSU as far as athletics is concerned.
Nowhere near close to the life in dallas LOL i live here . Waco is a military town about 1 hr 30 mins away closer to Kileen if your familiar with the WACO murderer or w/e that guy was .

Reaction Score
Not offensive in the slightest; just a bit irrelevant, trifling, reductionist, and severely over-litigated at this point. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. That's how things work on a forum.

NCAA tournament is a one-and-done format. Upsets happen to even the greatest coaches and the greatest players. Geno and UConn have been on the receiving end of a few of those: Iowa State, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, and now Arizona have won games that they were supposed to have no business winning. Cue the "any given day" cliche.

The 2013 loss to Louisville was, to say the least, an outlier. But in general, outside of Sims, Griner was essentially surrounded by role players, and Sims was only a freshman in the 2011 loss to A&M. Would the immaculate Stewie have won 4 titles if not flanked by the #2 and #3 WNBA draft picks, not to mention several other All-Americans, throughout her career? Food for thought.

Heck, I LOVE giving Kim grief over all kinds of stuff, but I do so playfully. She's more than earned her recognition as one of the great coaches of our day.
Is it not possible to be a great coach and also not done a better job of recruiting/coaching during the Griner years? Can the two not exist or does it have to be she is a bad coach or else she is a great coach??

Too many people here jump to the extreme when somebody criticizes a coach.

Reaction Score
When you ask why would she make such a move? Have you not seen her personality traits? Do you not think she would want to make a move to be close her family? Do you not think she would want to win a championship for the state of Louisiana? I mean seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom