Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 847 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I hope it happens. Why should those schools who do nothing in athletics be collecting all that money just because they are grandfathered in those conferences? Yes, I'm bitter.
Nobody ever died for dear old Rutgers. Oh, sorry. I was thinking of schools that merely exist in proximity to big markets.

Reaction Score
“This is the best basketball conference, historically, in the country,” Phillips says. “I do not want to downgrade basketball. But at the end of the day, our future will be tied to football success, football revenues, tied to TV.

That doesn't sound good for UConn. Back to hoping for a Big 12 invite.

Reaction Score
“This is the best basketball conference, historically, in the country,” Phillips says. “I do not want to downgrade basketball. But at the end of the day, our future will be tied to football success, football revenues, tied to TV.

The Calford + SMU additions didn’t move the needle in football. The article even mentions that it was more about academics than sports.

Reaction Score

"I do not want to downgrade basketball" means basketball is meaningless in conference realignment! If their future is tied to football success, then the ACC is truly done. Once FSU and Clemson leave, their flagship football programs are gone. Cal Stanford and SMU cannot fill that void. Unfortunately, ACC leadership has shown that they do not respect UConn and I don't think that will change. The statement about basketball does indeed reitierate that stance. I would say forget about the Big 12 as well.

Reaction Score
The Calford + SMU additions didn’t move the needle in football. The article even mentions that it was more about academics than sports.
Cal and Stanford were admitted to the ACC because more than a couple presidents of ACC schools are graduates of those schools and pushed for them to be admitted. Any statements by the ACC about academics are totally bogus and no more than a smokescreen. Remember Louisville?

Reaction Score

Nothing ever sounds good for UConn but glass half full, it could be good. Let's assume no one is leaving the Big 12. There is no one out there that helps the ACC in any meaningful way from a football standpoint. There are some very solid G5 programs but none that help revenues. Basketball, you have UConn which immediately improves the conference. Take any win you can get. And if the ACC did just a little research, it would realize that having UConn Football in the fold would probably benefit its old Big East rivals. Bring in UConn and USF to start.

Reaction Score

Coach K suggests an ACC-Big East Merger here.

Since Coach K's quote is at the very end of the article:

"We have a conference that in a lot of ways wants to split,” he says. “I’d like to see us talk to the Big East and say, ‘Let’s form the best football-basketball conference.’ Not everyone has to play football. There’s only one conference that thinks about basketball every day of the year—that’s [commissioner] Val Ackerman and the Big East. If you’re a partner with them, that’s a really good thing.”

Reaction Score
"I do not want to downgrade basketball" means basketball is meaningless in conference realignment! If their future is tied to football success, then the ACC is truly done. Once FSU and Clemson leave, their flagship football programs are gone. Cal Stanford and SMU cannot fill that void. Unfortunately, ACC leadership has shown that they do not respect UConn and I don't think that will change. The statement about basketball does indeed reitierate that stance. I would say forget about the Big 12 as well.
Yes. He said "I do not want to downgrade basketball"....but he will.

Reaction Score
Since Coach K's quote is at the very end of the article:

"We have a conference that in a lot of ways wants to split,” he says. “I’d like to see us talk to the Big East and say, ‘Let’s form the best football-basketball conference.’ Not everyone has to play football. There’s only one conference that thinks about basketball every day of the year—that’s [commissioner] Val Ackerman and the Big East. If you’re a partner with them, that’s a really good thing.”
Coach K is retired. I don't think what he says now means anything to the ACC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes. He said "I do not want to downgrade basketball"....but he will.

This has the exact same feel as dad saying "This is going to hurt me more than it will you" as he's unbuckling his belt and about ready to dole out a few lashings.

Reaction Score

The ACC hasn't been the best basketball conference in a long time as they diluted the conference through expansion, the retirement of HOF coaches, and poor coaching hires. And, look at the head coaches. I would say the SEC, B12, and BE have a better roster of coaches.

Reaction Score
Have been a student of realignment since 1981. Have understood the variables behind the decision making process until recently. Didn't always agree with the decisions, but saw the logic used(see Rutgers and BC). I cannot see what the heck some of these folks are thinking about any more. Nothing screams panic more that the Calford SMU add to the ACC. Yormark had the right idea with UConn, but knuckled under to some of the midwest schools. Somehow I believe we are going to end up OK, but for the life of me don't know how or why. Maybe have a bad case of CR Rule #1, similar to Stockholm Syndrome.

Reaction Score
Coach K is retired. I don't think what he says now means anything to the ACC.
I tend to agree because the ACC is the George Costanza of power conferences. It does the opposite. It can't get out of its own way. But to Duke, Coach K is the be-all and end-all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I tend to agree because the ACC is the George Costanza of power conferences.
Would that make a big 12 the Lloyd Braun of power conferences?

Reaction Score
The ACC hasn't been the best basketball conference in a long time as they diluted the conference through expansion, the retirement of HOF coaches, and poor coaching hires. And, look at the head coaches. I would say the SEC, B12, and BE have a better roster of coaches.
I don't think they have ever been the best conference. Their composition is always the same, two strong programs (Duke and UNC) a third good program (a rotating spot between UVA, Wake, NC State, FSU) and a bunch of blah. The media has always hyped the conference beyond its reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom