Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 848 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
“Under a bill filed by prominent Republican House members, UNC and NC State would be required to play at least one of East Carolina, Appalachian State and Charlotte every year and would have to play each school home and away every six years.”
Bill will not advance.

Reaction Score
The Rent is beat.

The state hasn’t done anything to keep it refreshed.

The stupid school let the football program descend into the abyss.

You can overcome a bad stadium and a bad location if your team is fun to watch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Rent is beat.

The state hasn’t done anything to keep it refreshed
Ongoing maintenance isn't the states job, that is what the CDRA should be doing. One of the things that I find incredibly annoying about the CDRA is their ongoing practice of not doing maintenance for a decade or two and then presenting the need for remediation as a capital improvement. Yet somehow, even without doing routine maintenance, they manage an annual multimillion dollar loss, even after being grossly subsidized by the university. They are possibly the most inept organization ever to exist on the planet.

Reaction Score
Ongoing maintenance isn't the states job, that is what the CDRA should be doing. One of the things that I find incredibly annoying about the CDRA is their ongoing practice of not doing maintenance for a decade or two and then presenting the need for remediation as a capital improvement. Yet somehow, even without doing routine maintenance, they manage an annual multimillion dollar loss, even after being grossly subsidized by the university. They are possibly the most inept organization ever to exist on the planet.

Is the CRDA in the room with us right now?

CL82

Reaction Score
Is the CRDA in the room with us right now?
Kind of. If you bring up the issue of "maintenance of the stadium" inviting the organization which is responsible for it into the chat.

Reaction Score
What this says is that we are (partially) allowing the CDRA to determine our success in Football(which is everything). That is frightening.

Reaction Score
Good luck trying to get Mansfield to allow an on campus football stadium In Storrs. I just don’t see that happening in any of our life times.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
"on campus stadium" chatter is the boneyard equivalent of a slow news day

Reaction Score
Good luck trying to get Mansfield to allow an on campus football stadium In Storrs. I just don’t see that happening in any of our life times.
I get the Mansfield angle but I would think that mentallity would have changed significantly by now. Many locals have grown up watching UConn become a national basketball powerhouse and the athletic department as a whole be competitive nationally. Other folks move to the area specifically because they are involved with the University. I see it in our town where younger folks favor things like apartment housing and better roads while older folks constantly complain about commercial progress. Mansfield is rural but it's not Deliverance material. Come on Mansfield!

Reaction Score
Considering it'll cost 4 times as much to build a new stadium than to renovate the rent, I don't think there'll much political will to make it happen
Is there political will to watch our athletic potential dribble away?

Reaction Score
I get the Mansfield angle but I would think that mentallity would have changed significantly by now. Many locals have grown up watching UConn become a national basketball powerhouse and the athletic department as a whole be competitive nationally. Other folks move to the area specifically because they are involved with the University. I see it in our town where younger folks favor things like apartment housing and better roads while older folks constantly complain about commercial progress. Mansfield is rural but it's not Deliverance material. Come on Mansfield!
Agree. Have you been on campus recently, or I should say to 4 corners? Massive Apartment(condo?) complex nearing completion. Nothing says rural like a monstrous housing complex literally at the entrance to campus.

Reaction Score
Considering it'll cost 4 times as much to build a new stadium than to renovate the rent, I don't think there'll much political will to make it happen
You say it would cost four times as much to build a new stadium than to renovate Rentschler. Have you calculated what it costs UConn right now in terms of national prestige, coaching and recruit interest, student enthusiasm, and alumni support to have a relatively distant off-campus rather than on-campus facility? Suppose, for example, that stadium location was a factor that an expansion-minded "P" conference might consider when analyzing potential candidates. What if the absence of an on-campus facility was deemed to be so indicative of a school's lack of commitment to football that it influenced that conference's decision to look elsewhere? What losses of potential revenue would accrue, year in and year out, if UConn were left out of the realignment picture for that reason?

Reaction Score
You say it would cost four times as much to build a new stadium than to renovate Rentschler. Have you calculated what it costs UConn right now in terms of national prestige, coaching and recruit interest, student enthusiasm, and alumni support to have a relatively distant off-campus rather than on-campus facility? Suppose, for example, that stadium location was a factor that an expansion-minded "P" conference might consider when analyzing potential candidates. What if the absence of an on-campus facility was deemed to be so indicative of a school's lack of commitment to football that it influenced that conference's decision to look elsewhere? What losses of potential revenue would accrue, year in and year out, if UConn were left out of the realignment picture for that reason?
I doubt all that costs anywhere near 600 million dollars

Reaction Score
Is there political will to watch our athletic potential dribble away?
Getting an on campus stadium is not going to suddenly turn us into a football powerhouse. That requires a different kind of investment and is also much cheaper than building a new stadium

Reaction Score
I doubt all that costs anywhere near 600 million dollars
Colorado State University's new on-campus Canvas Stadium, with a capacity of 36,500 (including boxes and other premium seating), cost $220 million to build in 2017. Naming rights garnered more than $37 million, so subtract that from the cost of construction. Stadium capacity can be expanded, if justified. I haven't been there but understand that it's an attractive and functional facility.

Reaction Score
Colorado State University's new on-campus Canvas Stadium, with a capacity of 36,500 (including boxes and other premium seating), cost $220 million to build in 2017. Naming rights garnered more than $37 million, so subtract that from the cost of construction. Stadium capacity can be expanded, if justified. I haven't been there but understand that it's an attractive and functional facility.
Thanks for the info Hank. Wish more people on this site understood this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info Hank. Wish more people on this site understood this.
Wish more people understood that money doesn't grow on trees. That more people outside the UConn FB bubble would just as soon get rid of it then pony up hundreds of millions of dollars in further service to it.

CL82

Reaction Score
You underestimate the value and power of a winning football program. To be fair, we all do, because it's been a while since we've seen one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Think of it as an investment, one that could pay long-term dividends if managed wisely.
I prefer to think of it as a massive financial outlay with literally no benefit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedRabbit84

Top Bottom