Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 84 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes having a team that goes 1-11 every year and can't compete would be awesome. I know everyone in Connecticut is fired up to play Army in September.

If the Army/Navy game is worth $10 million - then the idea those two schools would share the $10 million with the other AAC schools is laughable.

Army had to quit this league when it was worse than it is now. They lost to Yale last year so they haven't exactly made strides in improving in football.

And why would Air Force want to be in this league? They are in a similar conference that makes geographic sense. What does Mountain West tell them when they want to pull the football program out? Do they go independent in everything else?

Reaction Score
Yes having a team that goes 1-11 every year and can't compete would be awesome. I know everyone in Connecticut is fired up to play Army in September.

If the Army/Navy game is worth $10 million - then the idea those two schools would share the $10 million with the other AAC schools is laughable.

Army had to quit this league when it was worse than it is now. They lost to Yale last year so they haven't exactly made strides in improving in football.

And why would Air Force want to be in this league? They are in a similar conference that makes geographic sense. What does Mountain West tell them when they want to pull the football program out? Do they go independent in everything else?

I didn't say Air Force to the AAC. I said the /Army game draws OK and the AAC would have it every other year with Army in the conference. Army would add value even if they haven't done well in football in recent years. Army as a football only is a better add than UMass or Buffalo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I didn't say Air Force to the AAC. I said the /Army game draws OK and the AAC would have it every other year with Army in the conference. Army would add value even if they haven't done well in football in recent years. Army as a football only is a better add than UMass or Buffalo.

Why does the AAC need any football additions? I can see subtracting a few. Let's not go there unless it is Texas as a football only.

Reaction Score
Why does the AAC need any football additions? I can see subtracting a few. Let's not go there unless it is Texas as a football only.

Only if we lose a team or 2 would I add Army.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
No, I'm pretty sure you might have mentioned it to us once or twice. Believe me we get it.

Hey, I wonder if anybody has thought of ND going to the Big10? Seems like a match made in heaven. Geography is right. Big10 has hockey and lacrosse. ND has hockey and lacrosse. Great traditional rivalries in Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and the ability to play in Chicago. Now that the Big10 has an East Coast presence, they can recruit their general student population from their home region. If I remember correctly, Maryland was started as a Catholic colony, so that has to help.

The only issue I see is the lack of AAU so it might be a stretch. I wonder if the Big10 presidents would overlook that. My guess is they might, so let's get this done. ND and UConn to the Big10!

Reaction Score
Hey, I wonder if anybody has thought of ND going to the Big10? Seems like a match made in heaven. Geography is right. Big10 has hockey and lacrosse. ND has hockey and lacrosse. Great traditional rivalries in Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and the ability to play in Chicago. Now that the Big10 has an East Coast presence, they can recruit their general student population from their home region. If I remember correctly, Maryland was started as a Catholic colony, so that has to help.

The only issue I see is the lack of AAU so it might be a stretch. I wonder if the Big10 presidents would overlook that. My guess is they might, so let's get this done. ND and UConn to the Big10!

Can I give this half of a like?

Reaction Score
The fit will hit the shan with the P5's when a 1 loss ND team is selected for the playoff, and a 1 loss P5 team whose only loss was in their conference CG) misses that same playoff. Still won't make a difference. They cannot make ND join a league and they are not going to change the rules that only a conference champion who wins a championship game can qualify for the playoff. The would prevent a league from getting the concessional 2 teams in the playoff.

Reaction Score
The fit will hit the shan with the P5's when a 1 loss ND team is selected for the playoff, and a 1 loss P5 team whose only loss was in their conference CG) misses that same playoff. Still won't make a difference. They cannot make ND join a league and they are not going to change the rules that only a conference champion who wins a championship game can qualify for the playoff. The would prevent a league from getting the concessional 2 teams in the playoff.

No, the problem is going to be when an 11-1 ND team gets picked over a 12-1 ACC champ FSU. They'll burn this mother down if that happens.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

....please

...don't

th

...please.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No, I'm pretty sure you might have mentioned it to us once or twice. Believe me we get it.

This is exactly why Notre Dame is viewed as the most pompous, arrogant, obnoxious entity in sports. Good lord, we get it, you view yourselves as being 'better' than everyone else. Stop telling us every two seconds.

Reaction Score
Not all ND fans and alums see it as the cost of doing business. That is a blanket statement, we want access and have it now, if that changes we will join in full. Swarbrick has said time and time again what would make us go in full. If our access gets severely cut we will join, that is fact..

Reaction Score
This is exactly why Notre Dame is viewed as the most pompous, arrogant, obnoxious entity in sports. Good lord, we get it, you view yourselves as being 'better' than everyone else. Stop telling us every two seconds.

Different goals, not "better". That was your word, not mine.

Reaction Score
Different goals, not "better". That was your word, not mine.

The totality of your posts might not say those words exactly, but you've certainly come off as saying just that. Heck, you constantly rail against the Big Ten because Notre Dame is "national" and that league is just "regional" which is preposterous anyhow, since the Big Ten is every bit a national league as it gets.... more so than the ACC.

The whole 'we don't belong in a league' is an arrogant stance. Like I said, perhaps you don't say the words exactly, but the intent is pretty clear.

Reaction Score
If Our Lady Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy.

Been trying to tell you guys that for a long time now.

Reaction Score
I don't get upset by the Irish, their fans, nor their take on independence. It is a long time self definition of their identity.

I do think that playing a 12 game schedule with no shot at a CCG will disadvantage them in a play off....particularly since they can not be a champion of any conference..which is purportedly given weight.

And, I think that narrative is already being formed....the fact that some ACC coaches are public about it is not thoughtless mike gobbling but active narrative setting.

Reaction Score
The totality of your posts might not say those words exactly, but you've certainly come off as saying just that. Heck, you constantly rail against the Big Ten because Notre Dame is "national" and that league is just "regional" which is preposterous anyhow, since the Big Ten is every bit a national league as it gets.... more so than the ACC.

The whole 'we don't belong in a league' is an arrogant stance. Like I said, perhaps you don't say the words exactly, but the intent is pretty clear.

My posts have never said that, period. I have talked about tradition and identity. Sure, I dislike the Big Ten and have for fifty years. Is that arrogance? No, just like people who dislike ND are not arrogant for their beliefs, either.

Reaction Score
My posts have never said that, period. I have talked about tradition and identity. Sure, I dislike the Big Ten and have for fifty years. Is that arrogance? No, just like people who dislike ND are not arrogant for their beliefs, either.

In broadcasting school, we had an exercise where we constantly had to listen to recordings of our monologues. We never realized how many times we say "um" or "like," etc. until we go back and actually listen. Others hear it, but we often don't hear it ourselves.

Perhaps you'd benefit from this exercise going back and re-reading your posts on this subject over the years. You might realize how it comes across to others around you. No matter how you spin it, there is a bit of underlying arrogance when it comes to wanting independence. There's really no other way around that. But even if your intentions are as you say, and I have no reason to suggest you're lying, understand the frequency and tone in which you say these things over and over provide for a very annoying experience to those you're conversing with. It becomes like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

Reaction Score
On that topic but independent of my response to Terry, I think the independence excuse is bunk anyhow; or rather, hypocritical. If Notre Dame were really about an identity of independence, they should have never joined a league for all the other sports. To say 'we're Notre Dame, we value our independence' but proceed to join a conference in all other sports beyond football devalues that stance.

The reality is that if that ideal is one Notre Dame values, it sold out long ago when it joined the Big East.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
And the AAC already let Navy in without sharing that money. So unless you think Army is looking to lose millions of dollars for the honor of joining a conference they can't compete in.....

The only thing I said was if all independents are forced to join conferences that I would hope the AAC would add Army and Air Force to boost the tv contract. If you're Army and you are being FORCED to join a conference why would they choose to join any conference besides the AAC? They're not getting into a P5. And I never said this was happening antime soon. All I said was if they're forced to join one the AAC should get them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom